HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft - 2nd Pick: Mitch Moroz

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Really he had all those choices?

In reality, people on this board were upset because this was projected to be a great draft. I remember being surprised too.

Give the credit to Stu if you want but he was right and the people on the board were wrong. I am not a Tambellini fan either, but I am not going to criticize a good decision.
How do you know it's a good decision? I would love to know with certainty how anyone knows that we will get a better prospect in 2013 then what we could have gotten this past weekend?

Also if this draft was so terrible as you say, why did Lou keep his pick and not forfeit it this year?

Last edited by Reimer: 06-25-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old
06-25-2012, 12:53 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
How do you know it's a good decision? I would love to know with certainty how anyone knows that we will get a better prospect in 2013 then what we could have gotten this past weekend?
Having to make 3 selections in one round would have given him crippling anxiety so he decided to have 2 each year.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
awesomo
HARD!

If this draft was amazing Garth snow wouldn't offer all their draft picks for number two

Old
06-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

Also if this draft was so terrible as you say, why did Lou keep his pick and not forfeit it this year?
There was some speculation that with a new CBA and some possible amnesty he wouldn't have to forfeit the pick, so he's going to watch it play out rather than forfeit right away.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:08 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

If it was so good why were the Islanders willing to trade ALL their draft picks this year.

If it was so good why did the Oilers pick 3 20 years old in a row? If this draft was so good why did so many other teams go with 20 year olds?

We can play this game all day but I get every scouting magazine out there and ALL of them were saying this was a weak draft.

Obviously next year may turn out to be a dud too, but at this time Stu or Tambo seemed to have made the correct decision.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:12 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
There was some speculation that with a new CBA and some possible amnesty he wouldn't have to forfeit the pick, so he's going to watch it play out rather than forfeit right away.
I've never heard that. Why would Lou get a special amnesty that no one else would get?

Old
06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
If this draft was amazing Garth snow wouldn't offer all their draft picks for number two
Are you sure about that?

Old
06-25-2012, 01:17 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
He also stated after the deadline had already passed that he still had time to make the decision. To me, it just sounds like he messed up. That's not to say he wouldn't have kept it anyway (I said all along that they would wait until the last possible year to give up their pick).

06-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I've never heard that. Why would Lou get a special amnesty that no one else would get?
Don't think it has to do with Lou per se, but I don't have a good enough understanding of the CBA to really comment any more than this was something I heard on the radio the other day (I think it was on the Gregor show but I can't remember specifically).

Old
06-25-2012, 01:27 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
Are you sure about that?
It's been reported through a number of people in the hockey world.

Even portzline the clb beat writer

Old
06-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
It's been reported through a number of people in the hockey world.

Even portzline the clb beat writer
I meant are you sure that Snow wouldn't make stupid moves.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:59 PM
vespa99

I have never seen him play (like 90% of you that are complaining so loudly about the pick) so I will reserve judgement for 3 or 4 years which is what it usually takes for a second round pick to have a shot at making the Nhl.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
I have never seen him play (like 90% of you that are complaining so loudly about the pick) so I will reserve judgement for 3 or 4 years which is what it usually takes for a second round pick to have a shot at making the Nhl.
It really does no good to reserve judgment for 3-4 years. The oilers can't do that so the fans are simply doing what the teams have to do now.

If you reserve judgment on things for 3-4 years you are never wrong about anything.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Why are we arguing over the extra 2nd round pick?
If anything we would have picked Khaira with it and Zharkov early 3rd.

Thinking we would have picked Thrower with it very wishful and unrealistic. It would have been a random player just like it would be next year.

IMO it was a smart move since next year's draft is supposedly stronger.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:29 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
It really does no good to reserve judgment for 3-4 years. The oilers can't do that so the fans are simply doing what the teams have to do now.

If you reserve judgment on things for 3-4 years you are never wrong about anything.
But how about some people reserve judgement until they've actually seen him play?

Personally, I've seen him play in person many times this year and am not disappointed with the pick at all. He has all of the tools to be a very good 3rd, maybe even 2nd, liner for many years in the NHL.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
But how about some people reserve judgement until they've actually seen him play?

Personally, I've seen him play in person many times this year and am not disappointed with the pick at all. He has all of the tools to be a very good 3rd, maybe even 2nd, liner for many years in the NHL.
lets hope so but I highly doubt it.
IMO guys like Ewanyk and Moroz will be the Vandeveldes and OMarras of future.

I like the boom\bust players like Zharkov\Omark .. you know either they will be something special or nothing at all. The depth guys to me can be picked up off waivers or free agency.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:46 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
The depth guys to me can be picked up off waivers or free agency.
that may be true when you're a last place team, but once you start moving up the standings the talent available on the waiver wire will drop.

besides, your statement assumes that only boom/bust type players have the talent needed to boom. lots of players develop the talent more slowly, and become more well-rounded players for it.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
that may be true when you're a last place team, but once you start moving up the standings the talent available on the waiver wire will drop.

besides, your statement assumes that only boom/bust type players have the talent needed to boom. lots of players develop the talent more slowly, and become more well-rounded players for it.
that's a good point. if you stick only to the boom/bust players you'd miss out on someone like Ray Whitney. he just kept working hard and honed his craft, and it ended up pretty darn good for him.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
I will bet anyone that Moroz will be better than Samulsson long term! Way better skater!
How about offensive instinct, ability, hands?

Moroz is such a plumber. A guy with all the skill of Hordichuk that won't be a good enough fighter to make it to the show anyway.

Why did we draft this guy at this position or at all? Anybody?

I'd trade a second, third and fourth pick if it meant being able to get Samuellson.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Its not like he's a complete plug. He had a decent season and a good playoffs.
4-4-8 in 20 play off games is pretty good from a diet coke machine.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Its not like he's a complete plug. He had a decent season and a good playoffs.
4-4-8 in 20 play off games is pretty good from a diet coke machine.
People in this thread are saying things like he'll be a 2nd or 3rd line player for years in the NHL. I can understand people wanting that but this is much more likely to be an AHL career player if that.
Even a guy like Eager looked skilled playing Junior Hockey. jebus 16goals scored in Junior isn't anything to brag about. Certainly isn't something that should be netting a 31st pick imo.

Again this is dreaming Lucic, and getting something completely different.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:50 PM
ImOnFire81

Send a message via AIM to ImOnFire81 Send a message via MSN to ImOnFire81
This is HORRENDOUS PICK!

I mean come on this is stackest draft for defensman since 2008 and you selected on forward. BAD BAD MOVE, we should drafted defensman here.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
How about offensive instinct, ability, hands?

Moroz is such a plumber. A guy with all the skill of Hordichuk that won't be a good enough fighter to make it to the show anyway.

Why did we draft this guy at this position or at all? Anybody?

I'd trade a second, third and fourth pick if it meant being able to get Samuellson.
I wouldn't go as far as to say Moroz has Hordichuk type skill. Heck, Moroz scored goals at the same rate as Samuelsson did this season for the Oil Kings and Samuelsson was getting top 6 minutes.

I'm not in favour of the selection of Moroz at 32 but I wouldn't have minded grabbing him in the 3rd round. The bottom line is that the Oilers liked him a lot and didn't feel he'd last past the 2nd round.

Hoping Moroz will be the next Lucic is a little too optimistic for me but he did display more skill last season than guys like Abney that he's often compared to.

This season will tell us a lot about Moroz's long-term potential as it sounds like he's going to be placed in a top 6 role. It will be interesting to see if he breaks out offensively with 25+ goals, 20+ assists or if he continues to play like a bottom six player. I'm not going to lie, a third line guy who can skate, stir things up and play up in the top 6 sounds really attractive.

The name that seems to keep coming back to me is Chris Neil. They're a similar size and possess a similar skill-set - would people be unhappy if our second rounder turned into a 15 goal, 35 point grinder who can play up and down the lineup?

06-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say Moroz has Hordichuk type skill. Heck, Moroz scored goals at the same rate as Samuelsson did this season for the Oil Kings and Samuelsson was getting top 6 minutes.

I'm not in favour of the selection of Moroz at 32 but I wouldn't have minded grabbing him in the 3rd round. The bottom line is that the Oilers liked him a lot and didn't feel he'd last past the 2nd round.

Hoping Moroz will be the next Lucic is a little too optimistic for me but he did display more skill last season than guys like Abney that he's often compared to.

This season will tell us a lot about Moroz's long-term potential as it sounds like he's going to be placed in a top 6 role. It will be interesting to see if he breaks out offensively with 25+ goals, 20+ assists or if he continues to play like a bottom six player. I'm not going to lie, a third line guy who can skate, stir things up and play up in the top 6 sounds really attractive.

The name that seems to keep coming back to me is Chris Neil. They're a similar size and possess a similar skill-set - would people be unhappy if our second rounder turned into a 15 goal, 35 point grinder who can play up and down the lineup?
Samuelsson got better and better as the season and playoffs wore on and was easily the most dangerous player we had in the Memorial Cup. Just dripping offensive skill and instinct. Right on top of his game at the biggest time which impressed the hell out of me. Exuded skill.
Moroz doesn't strike me as somebody that would play top six in the NHL. Thats dreaming big. I don't see Lucic here and I don't see Chris Neil. I don't see NHL here. Not unless its say 4th line role player. JFJ I would say is a more talented player. Not saying much.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
People in this thread are saying things like he'll be a 2nd or 3rd line player for years in the NHL. I can understand people wanting that but this is much more likely to be an AHL career player if that.
Even a guy like Eager looked skilled playing Junior Hockey. jebus 16goals scored in Junior isn't anything to brag about. Certainly isn't something that should be netting a 31st pick imo.

Again this is dreaming Lucic, and getting something completely different.
I believe the OK's only had one 40 goal scorer and it was St Croix, the team was scoring more by committee than just having one stand out line.
I have seen some comments about Lucic being a possible ceiling for his upside, but I think the understanded expectation for a player like this is a bottom 6 role IF he cracks the NHL.
That being said, he can skate and does have the ability to finish around the net. 16 goals isn't a lot to brag about in jr for sure but there were a lot of guys on the OK's in the 20-30 goal range so thats really not bad for a 3rd liner.

Also his playoff production looked good. 4-4-8 in 20 games, as an comparison Hank Samuelsson, who a lot of posters here were hoping would be around for our 2cnd rounder scored 4-10-14, not all that different.

Closed Thread