HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2012 Draft - 2nd Pick: Mitch Moroz

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2012, 02:55 PM
  #551
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Incorrect, LA was/is considered a big team. King, Penner, Carter, Clifford and Westgarth say Hi
Who is considered the high end power forward?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:58 PM
  #552
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Just seems Oil management is trying to force the square peg into the circle hole with their picks at times.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:02 PM
  #553
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Bolland was projected as an offensive guy though with grit. Buff was an 8th rounder. Still not the same as what we are doing.
But Joe, who's to say Moroz or Ewanyk don't become those players. Moroz and Ewanyk both have offensive potential, both will see PP time with the Oilkings. My point is you are drafting outside of the 1st round, they are taking their best guess because that's all it is. You mentioned Franzen earlier, my guess is Detroit took a chance at a guy who was big that could skate and showed offensive potential. So who is the player you take instead of Moroz, still waiting.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:04 PM
  #554
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Who is considered the high end power forward?
Carter and King to a lesser extent, all of those players helped the Kings win the cup.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
  #555
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
But Joe, who's to say Moroz or Ewanyk don't become those players. Moroz and Ewanyk both have offensive potential, both will see PP time with the Oilkings. My point is you are drafting outside of the 1st round, they are taking their best guess because that's all it is. You mentioned Franzen earlier, my guess is Detroit took a chance at a guy who was big that could skate and showed offensive potential. So who is the player you take instead of Moroz, still waiting.
Guys with 25 points in their draft year aren't considered players with offensive potential.

Franzen was a 23 year old that Detroit had been watching who had a massive offensive jump.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:08 PM
  #556
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Carter and King to a lesser extent, all of those players helped the Kings win the cup.
Well if that's what you consider a high end power forward then I'd say we have that in Hall and Jones.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:09 PM
  #557
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Guys with 25 points in their draft year aren't considered players with offensive potential.

Franzen was a 23 year old that Detroit had been watching who had a massive offensive jump.
Really? because that is precisely what Detroit did with Franzen (to use your guy from earlier). Granted he was taken from SEL but it wasn't like he lit it up over there.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:12 PM
  #558
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well if that's what you consider a high end power forward then I'd say we have that in Hall and Jones.
Then you would wrong in my estimation. Carter is a bonafide power forward in the NHL, he has struggled with his game at times. Jones not so much and we better hope Hall fills out because he plays like a power forward.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM
  #559
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Really? because that is precisely what Detroit did with Franzen (to use your guy from earlier). Granted he was taken from SEL but it wasn't like he lit it up over there.
I don't follow. Franzen was like 4th on his team in points. Ewanyk and Moroz were no where near that.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:16 PM
  #560
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Then you would wrong in my estimation. Carter is a bonafide power forward in the NHL, he has struggled with his game at times. Jones not so much and we better hope Hall fills out because he plays like a power forward.
I don't think you are going to find many who think Carter is a power forward. Hall is already as much of one as him.

And King is no where near a high end power forward.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:17 PM
  #561
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Guys with 25 points in their draft year aren't considered players with offensive potential.

Franzen was a 23 year old that Detroit had been watching who had a massive offensive jump.
What massive jump is that...30 points. Moroz scored 16 goals/25 pts in 66 games, more than any one season Fransen put up in the SEL (at lesser games). We are starting to digress, my point is he is a 2nd round pick, hopefully he turns into a good player...most don't.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:22 PM
  #562
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't think you are going to find many who think Carter is a power forward. Hall is already as much of one as him.

And King is no where near a high end power forward.
Carter is 6'3" 200lbs. and put up 46 goals in the NHL one season and doesn't shy away from the boards, he is a power forward. I am not going to compare him to Hall so don't bother with that.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:26 PM
  #563
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't follow. Franzen was like 4th on his team in points. Ewanyk and Moroz were no where near that.
Both Ewanyk and Moroz have similar numbers in their draft years. If either turned into a Clowe, King, Ott, etc I would be happy.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:29 PM
  #564
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Both Ewanyk and Moroz have similar numbers in their draft years. If either turned into a Clowe, King, Ott, etc I would be happy.
Can't compare what they did in the WHL to what someone did in the SEL or KHL or any league in Europe.

The fact remains that both were no where near the top in their teams scoring. I highly doubt the Oilers drafted them because they have offensive potential, if they did I'm scared.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:34 PM
  #565
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Can't compare what they did in the WHL to what someone did in the SEL or KHL or any league in Europe.

The fact remains that both were no where near the top in their teams scoring. I highly doubt the Oilers drafted them because they have offensive potential, if they did I'm scared.
No they were drafted because can they both skate like the wind, they have good size and have displayed decent hands. And they both fight when called upon and can scare the bejesus out of the opposition with their hits. Most draft picks come out of the CHL so please don't use the SEL superior league crap, it is a different game over there. Our game in NA is based around the fundamentals learned in major junior.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:37 PM
  #566
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
No they were drafted because can they both skate like the wind, they have good size and have displayed decent hands. And they both fight when called upon and can scare the bejesus out of the opposition with their hits. Most draft picks come out of the CHL so please don't use the SEL superior league crap, it is a different game over there. Our game in NA is based around the fundamentals learned in major junior.
Well it is superior, but how do you compare points when one player plays 20 more games. It's common sense.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:42 PM
  #567
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well it is superior, but how do you compare points when one player plays 30 more games. It's common sense.
Like I said I don't compare it because I don't believe it is a superior league for developing players into the NHL. It has older players so players coming from the SEL are maybe more mature than most kids out of the CHL. But other than that I don't believe it is superior from a developmental point of view.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:43 PM
  #568
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Like I said I don't compare it because I don't believe it is a superior league for developing players into the NHL. It has older players so players coming from the SEL are maybe more mature than most kids out of the CHL. But other than that I don't believe it is superior from a developmental point of view.
Maybe not, but it's a higher quality of hockey being played.

You just aren't going to have guys scoring 120 points in the SEL.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:45 PM
  #569
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well it is superior, but how do you compare points when one player plays 20 more games. It's common sense.
I didn't make the comparison, you did earlier. 30pts. in 46 games for Franzen is hardly lighting it up and the next year his point totals dropped to 14pts. I'm just making the point that Franzen was probably drafted because of other intangibles as well.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
  #570
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
I didn't make the comparison, you did earlier. 30pts. in 46 games for Franzen is hardly lighting it up and the next year his point totals dropped to 14pts. I'm just making the point that Franzen was probably drafted because of other intangibles as well.
Of course, but one of them was for his massive spike in offense, which is the one of if not the biggest thing come draft time. He doesn't get those points he isn't being drafted by Detroit at all.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:50 PM
  #571
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Maybe not, but it's a higher quality of hockey being played.

You just aren't going to have guys scoring 120 points in the SEL.
So you say, it is bigger ice which lends credence for the lack of offence. I don't think the players are better or that the overall game is higher quality. It does help younger players to play against men but often players from SEL have to adjust their game when they come here, a more physical brand of hockey played in closer quarters.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:52 PM
  #572
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Of course, but one of them was for his massive spike in offense, which is the one of if not the biggest thing come draft time. He doesn't get those points he isn't being drafted by Detroit at all.
Agreed, which is why Moroz went higher because he did show some offence to go along with the other intangibles mentioned earlier.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 03:53 PM
  #573
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23,990
vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
So you say, it is bigger ice which lends credence for the lack of offence. I don't think the players are better or that the overall game is higher quality. It does help younger players to play against men but often players from SEL have to adjust their game when they come here, a more physical brand of hockey played in closer quarters.
Proven NHLers that go back for the lockout don't get that many points, so I wouldn't expect prospects to either.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:13 PM
  #574
Tedi
Registered User
 
Tedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Proven NHLers that go back for the lockout don't get that many points, so I wouldn't expect prospects to either.
Horcoff did

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 04:35 PM
  #575
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,403
vCash: 500
The last 2 teams that have won cups were both hard to play against, the runners up in '10-11 was also tough to play against. Who do we have up front that's tough to play against? In the system? Are any of them as physical as Ewanyk or Moroz? Pitlick might hit a lot, but he is not a fighter. Harski hits when he feels like it and is a strong guy, but again not a fighter. Lander is gritty and a bit of a pest, but again not a fighter or really an intimidating player. Enter Ewanyk and Moroz. This play sums it up for me:

http://www.oilkings.ca/video/index/i...dde6626c996a77

37 seconds in. This screams to me "yeah I ran your buddy over, wtf are you going to do about it? Oh just act tough, let me show what what tough is"

This is what we need in a big way IMO, if he can become a smaller version of Konopka (light heavy), good on faceoffs and a better skater, what's not to like?

As for Moroz, the kid is tough, scary tough and he can skate and hit, that's a nice combo to have.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.