HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2012 Draft - 2nd Pick: Mitch Moroz

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Jeff Lebowski

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectStorm View Post
Wow, early on Moroz. MacGregor obviously didn't think he'd be around at 62, and it was that important to grab him. They must like him alot.
Exactly. If that's where they had him on their list and they knew that someone else was going to take him, then you have to take him.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:15 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Exactly. If that's where they had him on their list and they knew that someone else was going to take him, then you have to take him.
So let someone else take him. This reeks of Alex Plante and Riley Nash.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Wheatking

The thing I like about Moroz is that he's not a nut out there but a coach will never have to tap him on the shoulder and tell him to do his job. He knows his job and is very willing. He's that middle weight that will actually be able to find a dance partner if anyone messes with the big 4. Kinda like Vandermeer(but obviously a forward).

...and labeling him a goon probably isn't fair. He isn't Abney. He's much better.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Wheatking

First 26 games- 3 goals and 5 points
Final 40 games- 13 goals and 20 points

It was also his first year in the WHL so the slow start is a little understandable. He played at about a 20 goal/35 point pace in the second half. If he has those numbers to go with the size, huge hits and willingness to fight anyone and everyone, I bet people are more excited about this pick.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Wow what a ballsy and bold pick by Tambo and Co.

Ballsy and bold as in SO ****ING STUPID AND ****ING RETARDED.

What a ****ED up pick.

It's like they saw the Flames make a ****ed up pick in the 1st and said holy crap that was stupid... but we can make an even stupider ****in pick... watch THIS Lamers.... we can be just as ****en stooopid.

Holy crap... a monkey with 1 arm and 1 nut could have made a better pick than that by throwing darts at a list of 15 names. I literally could have named 30 guys ahead of that and they STILL could have had him in the 3rd.

What a cluster****.

And to think we all had an intelligent debate about which prospect would be best... as we debated names like Finn vs Thrower vs Sissons vs Collberg vs about 20 other ****ing guys better than the pick they actually ****ing made.

Why the **** bother when they were just going into full retard mode.

Useless ****ing scouting staff... they might as well just forfeit their picks after #1 and say they don't want to bother and go fishing for the rest of the summer.

**** this... I'm done..
Thank God. Get your life priorities straight, then come back to hockey some time when you're ready.

Attack the post, not the poster, so... This is one of the worst posts I've ever seen.

Now I feel better.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:25 AM
thrillhous

At the risk of being an echo, I don't understand why we would chose Moroz with Finn and Thrower on the board.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:27 AM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
So let someone else take him. This reeks of Alex Plante and Riley Nash.
Plante wasn't a reach pick, #16 by the Hockey News, #19 by Redline Report - but there were a great number of posters here who were upset that they didn't take Cherepanov or Angelo Esposito.

Link

Old
06-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Im less upset now. I just really wanted a puck moving D man like bystrom or Finn.

Last edited by Valic: 06-23-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Baggers

One positive thing I have to say about Moroz. I just saw his interview and I don't think I've ever seen anyone be happier to be picked by Edmonton than he is.

A lot of Oilers picks seem to be influenced by either ties to the organization (Musil, Simpson) or their desire to be Oilers (Ewanyk, Moroz).

Old
06-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Good pedigree, interesting time to select him. Cam Abney no, I'd say that he's more of a Ryan Jones comparable. Abney cant skate, this kid can.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
I'd assume that our scouts have different lists and different rankings of players than some of the other ones. If Moroz was in the 30 - 40 range by Stuey and the boys, I can see why they would take him...especially if they caught wind that someone else wanted him as well.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Good pedigree, interesting time to select him. Cam Abney no, I'd say that he's more of a Ryan Jones comparable. Abney cant skate, this kid can.
I think he's a safe bet to be like a Brandon Prust type of player(tough player that can score 5-10 goals and play 10-12 minutes a night) but there is potential for more.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Beerfish

You don't use high high 2nd round picks on guys who are going to top out as 3rd-4th liners. Skill guys that come in and find out they can't score in the pros turn into those guys half the time and they are a dime a dozen to pick up if you need them via trade or fa.

The pick was a MASSIVE reach that smacks of the oilers wanting to ensure we always have oiler picks with the kings. This was the 32nd pick in the whole draft people.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Mentallydull

15ish goals while on the 4th line? Nice, especially considering what else he brings to the table. Sounds like a more physical Ryan Jones.

I didn't realize Edmonton had so many unemployed pro scouts...

Old
06-23-2012, 11:57 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

What a dumb pick.

If he played for any other team than the Oil Kings we wouldn't have even considered picking him at 32.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
15ish goals while on the 4th line? Nice, especially considering what else he brings to the table. Sounds like a more physical Ryan Jones.

I didn't realize Edmonton had so many unemployed pro scouts...
You don't use the 32nd overall pick in a draft on a guy you hope to be ryan jones.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
You don't use the 32nd overall pick in a draft on a guy you hope to be ryan jones.
Statistically speaking if you get a Ryan Jones at 32 overall you are probably coming out ahead.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
I disagree. Any player that really turns into anything above average from the 2nd round on is usually considered a huge steal. If you can get a roster player outside of the first round, you should probably be happy.

Knowing what we know now...you don't think Ryan Jones would be a good 2nd round pick in 2004? BTW, I don't really see the comparison. A more physical Ryan Jones means he's a completely different player.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:07 PM
SDig14

Quote:
I saw him play quite a bit this year and like his game, but you have to think if he played for anyone other than the Oil Kings he would likely been targeted later.

I'll just hope he develops well.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I think he's a safe bet to be like a Brandon Prust type of player(tough player that can score 5-10 goals and play 10-12 minutes a night) but there is potential for more.
I agree here. I like the fact that he has high energy and disrupts opponents. It sounds like he can be a real competitor out there. Brandon Prust is a very good comparable. He looks like a wrecking ball most of the time. I like the idea of a scrapper that can skate.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I disagree. Any player that really turns into anything above average from the 2nd round on is usually considered a huge steal. If you can get a roster player outside of the first round, you should probably be happy.

Knowing what we know now...you don't think Ryan Jones would be a good 2nd round pick in 2004? BTW, I don't really see the comparison. A more physical Ryan Jones means he's a completely different player.
Yeah he has Ryan jones like energy and skating ability. But what Jonesy lacks he makes up for in physicality and fighting wise. He's a real instigator, throws his opponents off their game. I hope he turns into the skater and scorer Jones is. Prust is a better all around comparable as WK said.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:20 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Statistically speaking if you get a Ryan Jones at 32 overall you are probably coming out ahead.
Except that guys like Ryan Jones can be picked up on waivers or easily signed as free agents. No need to draft them.

BTW I'm not commenting on Moroz specifically.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Yeah he has Ryan jones like energy and skating ability. But what Jonesy lacks he makes up for in physicality and fighting wise. He's a real instigator, throws his opponents off their game. I hope he turns into the skater and scorer Jones is. Prust is a better all around comparable as WK said.
...and how can you not like a guy that goes out in game 1 of the WHL finals and gives Portland's best player(Rattie) a concussion with a big, clean hit. Obviously it's unfortunate that he was hurt but just the fact that he targets the star players and has the mobility to actually catch them with big hits is a huge plus.

As for the Prust comparison. I think it's accurate but it may scare people. I just want to be clear that I think the day can come where people will look at Prust as a poor man's Moroz. He has the skill to be more effective offensive player and I also think he could be more of a banger/crasher than just middle weight fighter like Prust is.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Qrispy

Career AHLer imo.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

to be honest I've never even noticed Moroz. I'm disappointed that they didnt take Dalton Thrower 32nd but Stu MacGregor has definitely earned a Mulligan or two

Closed Thread