HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2012 Draft - 2nd Pick: Mitch Moroz

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boco View Post
Career AHLer imo.
Thankfully you're sure

Old
06-23-2012, 12:30 PM
jbean

vCash: 500
I think they should've taken the risk that he might be availible in the 3rd round. I was kind of hoping we could grab a goalie or defenseman if we were going for need but if the player does happen to pan out (small chance I know) he could be a nice fit for the 3rd or 4th line. It's a much weaker pick (based purely upon scout consensus as I don't watch much WHL hockey) than previous second rounds for the Oilers.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

I'm not upset with going a little off the board for Moroz, because he meets a serious team need as a power forward and is more apt to play in the NHL than many others available at this point. Sometimes players establish themselves physically and then develop other aspects of their games, and Moroz seems to be exactly this type of player. Bob Green indicates that Moroz is offensively underrated and fully expects Moroz to develop this aspect of his game more fully next season.

As for where he was drafted, it seems a little high, but Moroz is certainly the kind of player that typically goes higher than projected because of the physical attributes that he has and how well they can translate into the NHL. Moroz would not have been around for the Oiler's next pick.

Typically, power forwards are difficult to find. Moroz is a fairly safe pick as he has physicality to compliment the skill set that the Oilers have acquired in the past three drafts and is adequate for fourth line duty. However, the interesting thing with Moroz is that he also seems to have more offensive skills yet to be put onto the table. It also sounds like he is going to get much more opportunity to develop them next year. Moroz will likely develop into more than a coke machine. At the very least, it sounds like he is going to get a very good opportunity to do so.

The Oil Kings proximity and good working relationship with the Oilers allows the Oilers to more easily supplement a player's development; the Oil Kings also have a good organization that supports Oiler prospects well. Gernat is a fine example.

Moroz is a minor gamble but a good one. He can fill an important role for the Oilers in the future as a role player or will likely develop into an even more complete player. Second round picks typically have aspects of their game that need refinement or lack the size of first round picks. Moroz has NHL size right now but might be a sleeper offensively, which is what the Oilers are gambling on, as they project his development. Moroz appears to have the tools to develop other areas of his game. He could have serious upside, if Oil King's GM Bob Green is to be believed.

Last edited by Hockey Buddha: 06-23-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Riverboat Danglers

I think its funny that we all complain we dont have size and toughness up front in our top 9/6. These guys cant be acquired that easy in trades. To me Moroz was an organizational need. Hes got a good shot, can skate and can destroy people. Maybe it was a bit of a stretch but we wouldnt of been able to get a player like this later in the draft. With him we have a potential Lucic type for our top 6. We have a ton of highly skilled young forwards. Our d prospects are coming along nicely. Our need has been players like this. If we didnt make this pick we would still be complaining how the Oilers need to get bigger and tougher up front. Was it a stretch, ya defiantly but give the kid a chance and Stu a chance before we throw them both under the bus.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:36 PM
dnicks17

I'm not going to be mad about this pick.

I was pissed when we took Musil last year, but now I'm a big fan of that pick.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:44 PM
JohnWayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Awful pick. Cam Abney type pick except this is a 2nd rounder

Oilers need grit. Yakupov, eberle, hall, nugen lander, mps, gagner and a few other prospect look to have game. Oilers need third line grinders and trouble makers. We have in theory our top two lines for years to come. We lack toughness

Old
06-23-2012, 12:51 PM
PumpkinBomb

To all the HF scouts:

What is so different than this pick than Wilson by WSH in the first?

Moroz had more points, less ice-time, is bigger.

Also everyone hated musil with saad still on the board last year. I have no doubt saad will play in the show, but i don't think he could crack our top 6. I only saw musil play in the WJC, but he looked better than a lot of D picked ahead of him.

Also, maybe that's why they didn't pick a D this year. Maybe they thought there were no top pairing D left in the draft and they feel they have at least 6 middle pairing D in Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, Gernat etc.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Lets just see how he does next year before calling this a bad pick

Old
06-23-2012, 12:55 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
To all the HF scouts:

Wilson is actually bigger and score more points...

edit: but I see your point, and it's a good one.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
To all the HF scouts:

That would be my question as well. Wilson did light it up in the playoffs - he had a point per game while Moroz only had 8 points in 20 games. With a lot of offensive depth still around next year for the Oil Kings, where do people see Moroz slotting into the lineup? Will he get top 6 minutes and powerplay time?

06-23-2012, 12:57 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
That would be my question as well. Wilson did light it up in the playoffs - he had a point per game while Moroz only had 8 points in 20 games. With a lot of offensive depth still around next year for the Oil Kings, where do people see Moroz slotting into the lineup? Will he get top 6 minutes and powerplay time?
Derek Laxal was on the Pipeline show a couple hours ago and was talking about him moving into a scoring role next season (from his 3rd/4th line role this year).

Old
06-23-2012, 12:58 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
might as well trade someone for khaira.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
...and how can you not like a guy that goes out in game 1 of the WHL finals and gives Portland's best player(Rattie) a concussion with a big, clean hit. Obviously it's unfortunate that he was hurt but just the fact that he targets the star players and has the mobility to actually catch them with big hits is a huge plus.

As for the Prust comparison. I think it's accurate but it may scare people. I just want to be clear that I think the day can come where people will look at Prust as a poor man's Moroz. He has the skill to be more effective offensive player and I also think he could be more of a banger/crasher than just middle weight fighter like Prust is.
Well said. He has. Ore potential is exactly it. He does have a lot of similarities to Jordan Tootoo in the impact he makes. I like his hockey IQ and the physical impact he makes. He does have an under rated skill set offensively despite his average production totals. He understands his role and responsibility which is a great thing. Dropping the mitts in the Mem was a great example of that.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningreb View Post
Oilers need grit. Yakupov, eberle, hall, nugen lander, mps, gagner and a few other prospect look to have game. Oilers need third line grinders and trouble makers. We have in theory our top two lines for years to come. We lack toughness
Those guys are easy to get via FA or trade. No need to waste a high pick for someone you hope might be the next Lucic. The risk outweighs the reward.

Old
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Why do people keep saying Moroz is like Ryan Jones.

He is nothing like Ryan Jones.

Old
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
To all the HF scouts:

Also everyone hated musil with saad still on the board last year. I have no doubt saad will play in the show, but i don't think he could crack our top 6. I only saw musil play in the WJC, but he looked better than a lot of D picked ahead of him.

Also, maybe that's why they didn't pick a D this year. Maybe they thought there were no top pairing D left in the draft and they feel they have at least 6 middle pairing D in Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, Gernat etc.
Thanks for that. Very valid point that everyone should be paying attention to this post.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Why do people keep saying Moroz is like Ryan Jones.

He is nothing like Ryan Jones.
I brought the energy example into play and I think a lot of people misinterpreted it. He displays the same athleticism and high intensity level with supreme skating ability. That is all. It was an Oilers current player example.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:04 PM
40oz

Old
06-23-2012, 01:06 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Once again, Stu's hard on for the Oil kings continue.....
I was happy Samuelsson was already gone for that reason and then I wake up to this.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:07 PM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Wilson is actually bigger and score more points...

edit: but I see your point, and it's a good one.
Sorry I guess Wilson did get more points but Moroz had more regular reason goals, and according to each team website Moroz is bigger. Combine heights will tell a better story. I know Wilson's draft profile for the caps lists him as 6'4'' but thats impossible as Reinhart was the tallest player at the combine at 6'3.75''

Old
06-23-2012, 01:11 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Sorry I guess Wilson did get more points but Moroz had more regular reason goals, and according to each team website Moroz is bigger. Combine heights will tell a better story. I know Wilson's draft profile for the caps lists him as 6'4'' but thats impossible as Reinhart was the tallest player at the combine at 6'3.75''
Wilson was also measured at 6'3.75'', I believe.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:12 PM
BlowbyBlow

I like the fact that they draft by character, pride (Moroz really wants to be an Oiler), and for need.

To me for this organization its way way more important to choose a guy who wants to play for the team - it seems those guys will have that internal fortitude to push themselves harder.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
40oz

Quote:
True, but Moroz played 17 more games than Wilson did.

According to combine results:
Wilson - 6'3.5" 205.0lbs
Moroz - 6'1.75" 208.0lbs

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1207027

Old
06-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I was happy Samuelsson was already gone for that reason and then I wake up to this.
This is only the second Oil King the Oilers have ever drafted so I'm not sure what you guys are getting at...and considering the team just went to Memorial Cup, they obviously have some talent on it so it makes sense that they would be interested in players from the Oil Kings.

Ewanyk is the only other player. Gernat, Pelss and Abney all became Oil Kings after the Oilers drafted them.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:14 PM
BlowbyBlow

Each year there is 200+ players drafted the league has 600+ players. The difference between players in a draft is so unbelievably small that you draft on preference for that player to want to play for you.

Closed Thread