HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft - 2nd Pick: Mitch Moroz

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 01:16 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
This is only the second Oil King the Oilers have ever drafted so I'm not sure what you guys are getting at...and considering the team just went to Memorial Cup, they obviously have some talent on it so it makes sense that they would be interested in players from the Oil Kings.

Ewanyk is the only other player. Gernat, Pelss and Abney all became Oil Kings after the Oilers drafted them.
I am no scout so I am just talking, I believe in our scouts at the same time.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:20 PM
JustinCider

vCash: 500
I'll trust Stu on these picks, he has done well so far IMO. Stu's picks have a tendency for looking a lot better the following year, which is what you want. I also wanted Thrower with this pick, but if Stu thought this was the guy, then I'm fine with it. He's a gamble for sure, but if he trends up like they think he can and he turns into a top 6 power forward, he's gonna look like a steal.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Everest

In a stronger draft I would hate a choice such as this.

Because this draft pool is thin...its a bit more digestable.

On the other hand...going well off the board to take a a winger...and then take another winger with the very next pick...drafted into a franchise already saturated with wingers (especially LW)...Idunno...

I just wonder how the network is going to properly develop so many in such a short time?

I get what they're doing...they want to find some quality out of the quanity and they realize only a couple forwards drafted outside the top 30 will ever be full time NHLers.

Would like to have seen a defenceman taken at 32. Thats all.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
I'll trust Stu on these picks, he has done well so far IMO. Stu's picks have a tendency for looking a lot better the following year, which is what you want. I also wanted Thrower with this pick, but if Stu thought this was the guy, then I'm fine with it. He's a gamble for sure, but if he trends up like they think he can and he turns into a top 6 power forward, he's gonna look like a steal.
In my FHL league we hold our entry draft before the NHL does theres and I don't think I've ever drafted an Oiler entry before Moroz after several years of hoping I would.

Because of timing I was at work and had to go with a list. I did get him in the 3rd round, at 77th, but he was quite a bit higher on my list than that. Mostly in part to TSN ranking him 56th. Their ranking is probably the one I trust most personally.

So I'm instantly a huge fan as I have double want for him to succeed. And I do think he will. He's one of those guy's that just has to play a little bit harder and with a little more want, but does and will find himself a role. Maybe something like Moreau before he was named captain.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:39 PM
oilers4life5

I will bet anyone that Moroz will be better than Samulsson long term! Way better skater!

Old
06-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
I will bet anyone that Moroz will be better than Samulsson long term! Way better skater!
I doubt it. Skating can easily be improved on. Samuelsson is just a higher skilled player with a better overall game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post

On the other hand...going well off the board to take a a winger...and then take another winger with the very next pick...drafted into a franchise already saturated with wingers (especially LW)...Idunno...

I just wonder how the network is going to properly develop so many in such a short time?

I get what they're doing...they want to find some quality out of the quanity and they realize only a couple forwards drafted outside the top 30 will ever be full time NHLers.

Our top 6 is set on the wing but the bottom 6 is still pretty bare. I like the idea of stacking up on prospects like Moroz, Lander, Hartikainen, Hamilton, Pitlick and Ewanyk and letting the best man win the spot instead of having guys(remember the Jacques/Pouliot/Potulny days?) getting roster spots by default.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:44 PM
MisterD

Quote:
I doubt it. Skating can easily be improved on. Samuelsson is just a higher skilled player with a better overall game.
I wouldn't say easily. Yes, it can be improved, but skating (or lack there of) is one attribute that keeps several players from ever playing in the bigs.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Jamie

Quote:

Our top 6 is set on the wing but the bottom 6 is still pretty bare. I like the idea of stacking up on prospects like Moroz, Lander, Hartikainen, Hamilton, Pitlick and Ewanyk and letting the best man win the spot instead of having guys(remember the Jacques/Pouliot/Potulny days?) getting roster spots by default.
Kind of like Bonsignore compared to Moreau.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:46 PM
oilers4life5

Quote:
I totally disagree but we will have to wait and see. I know I will be in the manority but I have so much faith in Moroz as I know his family!

Old
06-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
I wouldn't say easily. Yes, it can be improved, but skating (or lack there of) is one attribute that keeps several players from ever playing in the bigs.
Maybe easily wasn't the right word but it's definitely something that can be improved. I'd rather draft a weak skater with skill and heart than a great skater that lacks hockey sense. If a player is willing to put the work in, it isn't always a long term weakness. Just see Stoll and Eberle. It's almost hard to believe that they were considered weak skaters in their draft years.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:12 PM
McDoused

Gregor says with certainty that their were 3-4 other teams in the 2nd round that were prepared to take him. He wouldn't have made it past the second round. Lets hope he is the next Jamie Benn.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:17 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Kyle Clifford was drafted 35th in 2009 and he and Moroz have eerily similar numbers.

I don't see the problem with taking a better skating Kyle Clifford at 32nd overall.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:33 PM
calvinguy

I really hope people will reserve their judgments until we can actually determine his potential. How terrible must he feel with everyone in Edmonton already insulting him like this. Hockey players are people too you know.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:46 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I see picks like this and think the oilers own the kings, they like to fill the building, they like having drafted players on the kings. Just a stupid pick.
I have this theory, too. I think the Oil Kings have a mandate to keep at least 2, probably 3 Oilers prospects on the team at any point in time in order to ensure a draw.

We'll see. It's obviously not the pick I would make, but I'm not Stu. He's really big and seems to have made the most of limited ice time, and the Oilers would have an intimate knowledge of his personality and coach-ability. It's a good argument that he could have been available in the 3rd, but if they like him enough, why chance it.

The Oilers certainly don't seem to believe he would have been around in the 3rd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambo
"He wasn't getting to our next pick. We knew that," said Tambellini. "And we knew the teams that had spent a lot of time with him, interviewing and testing.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:50 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm in the majority. I really like Mitch Moroz...but not at 32.
I do like Mitch Moroz as an Oiler but thought he would have been around the mid second or even lower

Old
06-23-2012, 02:58 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

I am good with the pick. I might have preferred a d man there but if the Oilers are sold on Moroz then fine. There was a bunch of pre draft chatter that he might go much higher than he was ranked so if Stu really wanted the kid, maybe he thought 32 was his last chance to get him.

He'll need some seasoning for sure, but it's way too early to write him off. And it'll be good to have another Oil King in the mix.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post

Our defense at the NHL level is lacking, but the Oilers have a number of quality defensive prospects already in the system: Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, Gernat, Davidson, Teubert, and Simpson who are tracking well, and Plante may be closer than people think. I don't see a huge need to draft another defenseman into that grouping, unless it's someone with elite talent, and I don't think that there were any elite defenseman still available in the second round. The Oilers system is severely lacking forwards, however; and, more importantly, the NHL club is lacking forwards with size and jam in their games. Moroz has size, jam, and, sources close to him say, an underrated offensive potential. The draft is a crap shoot, but the Oilers know that this kid is going to get the time he needs to develop and round out his game this season with the Oil Kings.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:13 PM
McFuhryous

Anyone else see a potential Milan Lucic in Moroz?

In Lucic's first full season with the Giants, his stat line was this:
62gp-9g- 10a-19pts-149pim

I'm not sure if Moroz was hurt for the 10-11 WHL season as he played in only one game (according to the WHL website), but his stat line in hist first full season with the Oil Kings is actually better than Lucic's.

66gp-16g-9a-25pts-131pims

In doing some research, Lucic was 6'3 and 220 when he was drafted, Moroz is 6'2 and 210-ish. If he stays on this path, it could turn into a very good pick at 32 in my opinion.

I know it's hard to predict what a player will or will not become in the NHL, but his numbers are Lucic like at the junior level.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Section337

Wow, just went back and looked at the last 12 years of picks 31-40, not many impact guys. Think I better lower my expectations to a hope they got one or two guys right in the last 5 years.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
Anyone else see a potential Milan Lucic in Moroz?

In Lucic's first full season with the Giants, his stat line was this:
62gp-9g- 10a-19pts-149pim

I'm not sure if Moroz was hurt for the 10-11 WHL season as he played in only one game (according to the WHL website), but his stat line in hist first full season with the Oil Kings is actually better than Lucic's.

66gp-16g-9a-25pts-131pims

In doing some research, Lucic was 6'3 and 220 when he was drafted, Moroz is 6'2 and 210-ish. If he stays on this path, it could turn into a very good pick at 32 in my opinion.

I know it's hard to predict what a player will or will not become in the NHL, but his numbers are Lucic like at the junior level.
Everyone dreams of getting a Lucic when they take guys like Wilson and Moroz but it's rare. Often times they just don't have the scoring touch. I don't expect much more than a career AHLer to 3rd liner really.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Beerfish

Can we stop with the friggin Milan Lucic comments? That type of thing has happened about once over the last few years. Lucic was a fluke.

This guy has size and a tough demeanor and scoreed 16 goals in his draft year thus he might very well be a Lucic!

A lot of the checkers and grinders in the league are guys that were drafted as skill guys that learned the way to stay in the league was to find another role. You don't draft a 3rd line grinder with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round.

Hey, I will watch him with the oilers, cheer when he does well and pump his stats in the prospects thread but this was a highly suspect pick.

Drew Czerwonka, 6'2 - 203, character guy, captain of kootenay. 6th round pick and I don't even know if we offered the guy a contract.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Thought I would share my thoughts on a guy that I really fell in love with over the course of the season.

Moroz is a killer. He has that look in his eyes when he steps on the ice that says "this ice is mine and you will have to kill me to take it". He relishes his role and is always willing to step up to protect his teammates even against guys much bigger then he is.

Now that is part of his game that got him a look in the WHL. He is really tough. I think we all know that by now. The part that started to get him noticed by scouts were two things. He can skate. He is a very good skater. Not an explosive skater by any means but well above average. He can keep up with the play and play with the skilled guys as well.

He has a knack for scoring. Yes he scored 16 goals this past year for a guy to do that in his rookie year when he is playing an enforcer role will get you noticed. He seems to have much softer hands then I would have thought. He has a good shot and seems to know when he should and shouldn't be using it. Yes things like his passing will need to be worked on but he does have a nice natural ability to score.

Why was he taken this early? Well quite frankly he is probably the best player in the draft at what he does. What he does is fight,play physical and contribute offensively. That combination is very rare and it is a sought after commodity. There were teams that were going to take him in the second. I have no doubt about that. Like other people mentioned guys like Clifford and Lucic went in the 2nd because scouts believe that these guys are worth the risk.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noice View Post
A Penner type player we hope xD
Does he like pancakes?

Old
06-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

After the hate has cooled off, I can live with this pick.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:52 PM
oil Leaks
5-14-6-1

An Ethan Moreau comparison is more likely.

Closed Thread