HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft - 2nd Pick: Mitch Moroz

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 07:24 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Watching him in the Portland game where he saw Rattie with the puck and instantly got a fire in his eyes, a spark that character guys and winners have, he chased him down, got on his horse and knocked Portland's second best player out of the game. That spoke to me about his competitiveness and winning attitude and I've really loved how he progressed throughout the year.

Last year he was playing midget AAA for frig sakes, he stepped in as a rookie on the fourth line and got 16 goals. That's not an easy thing to do. He's tough as nails and takes on all comers without hesitation. It's easy to see he has the will and drive to become an NHLer and survive in the pros.

For those saying he was a mid-second rounder, etc. Well, the Oilers didn't exactly have a mid-second round pick. There pick was where it was and if they saw him and thought he was one of the 8 or 9 guys out of the second round who is going to make the league than it should be their duty to take him.

How are you going to have a better than average draft if you follow Central Scoutings rankings? I would honestly say Central Scoutings rankings are below average themselves, the scouts making that list are not from NHL teams, they aren't NHL caliber scouts, they are below. The Oilers probably saw Moroz more than any other team out there, they're most definitely aware of his flaws but by that same token, they know his character and makeup better than any other team and they obviously believe it's a good indicator of his future potential.

Playing on the fourth line last year, adjusting to the prolonged schedule and life away from home, adjusting to a new school, practices/workouts/bus rides that he had never experienced before, he had a really good season all things considered. Laxdal says he's going to step in to a top-six role next year with PP time so I'm optimistically hoping for a season of 25G 25A 150 PIMS. I think he can do it, I definitely believe in this kid and if he pans out he's everything the Oilers could hope for to ride shotgun with the kids they already have.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

The Oil Kings organization and the Oilers are high on him as a player who potentially has some offensive skill on top of his physical play and toughness. What is not to like? The Oilers need forward help on their bottom two lines and they need toughness. A power forward with soft hands and offensive potential is never a bad choice imo.

Prediction: Moroz becomes a fan favorite as an Oiler.

Last edited by Hockey Buddha: 06-23-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
The Oil Kings organization and the Oilers are high on him as a player who potentially has some offensive skill on top of his physical play and toughness. What is not to like? The Oilers need forward help on their bottom two lines and they need toughness. A power forward with soft hands and offensive potential is never a bad choice imo.

Prediction: Moroz becomes a fan favorite as an Oiler.
...or the next JFJ.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:08 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Gregor says with certainty that their were 3-4 other teams in the 2nd round that were prepared to take him. He wouldn't have made it past the second round. Lets hope he is the next Jamie Benn.
Gregor has access to every team's list?

Is there a website?

Ive seen piles of nonsense before but.................

Old
06-23-2012, 08:11 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
I've already bookmarked this thread so I can bump it in December when Moroz is the biggest SOB in the WHL and drawing comparisons to Milan Lucic.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:16 PM
lakai17

good thing we got him in the second round because someone else would have been all over him come the 5th round or beyond

Old
06-23-2012, 08:18 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
I've already bookmarked this thread so I can bump it in December when Moroz is the biggest SOB in the WHL and drawing comparisons to Milan Lucic.

Lucic? really!? not in the Oiler thread please, Moroz had better be taking boxing lessons as we speak then.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Lucic? really!? not in the Oiler thread, Moroz had better be taking boxing lessons as we speak then.
Why?

Old
06-23-2012, 08:26 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Why?
Lucic was in boxing as a teenager, we all know he's one the toughest pound for pound fighters today.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Smartguy

I don't know if this has been posted yet or not, buy does anyone know of any highlights that show how he plays or anything

Old
06-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Lucic was in boxing as a teenager, we all know he's one the toughest pound for pound fighters today.

That was pure destruction. Hard, crisp and clean strikes from all angles. The Lucic comparison is a little unfair and unfit I'm terms of fighting ability. Moros is strong but his strikes are nowhere near the elite level of punches you see from Lucic. In terms of physical presence and under rated offensive ability, yeah I see the similarities. I think Moroz appears to have an under rated set of hands and good first step but at his age he's still got a lot of time to grow and become better in any area pf deficiency.

Here's some AAA footage.

Last edited by Grod: 06-23-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:

This is Kiefer McNaughton a gold gloves youth BC boxing champ vs Michael Ferland last season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAG3JGwItOE

Old
06-23-2012, 09:01 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
This is Kiefer McNaughton a gold gloves youth BC boxing champ vs Michael Ferland last season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAG3JGwItOE
Wow... Clocked him.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:08 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

Moroz can more than hold his own in a fight.

Ive never seen him lose tbh.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:16 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
what a bunch whiners. i didn't read all the threads, so, has anyone accused Katz of intervening and insisting that we take Moroz with the second.

you are positive there were better picks, eh, because you just know. come on you guys. anything after the 20th pick is a crap shoot and you know it. they wanted him, they got him. obviously, they had reason to believe he wouldn't be around by the 62nd pick. if they were gonna trade down for him, what would they get? a 7th round pick next year? oh, be still my beating heart, just think of what that 241st could have been. they're never gonna win the cup now.

I can't believe it. you guys are gonna critique the 232nd pick because you're positive there were better players still available or they could have traded down and got this lifetime ECHLer at 250th.

get over yourselves. you're not smarter and you don't know more about hockey then Stu's staff, ffs. you guys are outta control.

Last edited by Up the Irons: 06-23-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 09:20 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

No doubt Moroz is an intriguing prospect, similar to VAN's 2nd rndr, Mallet. That said, I was surprised EDM didn't tag steady D-man Matt Finn with this pick.

06-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
what a bunch whiners. i didn't read all the threads, so, has anyone accused Katz of intervening and insisting that we take Moroz with the second.

you are positive there were better picks, eh, because you just know. come on you guys. anything after the 20th pick is a crap shoot and you know it. they wanted him, they got him. obviously, they had reason to believe he wouldn't be around by the 62nd pick. if they were gonna trade down for him, what would they get? a 7th round pick next year? oh, be still my beating heart, just think of what that 241st could have been. they're never gonna win the cup now.

I can't believe it. you guys are gonna critique the 232nd pick because you're positive there were better players still available or they could have traded down and got this lifetime ECHLer at 250th.

get over yourselves. you're not smarter and you don't know more about hockey then Stu's staff, ffs. you guys are outta control.
If management was as smart as you claim, we wouldn't be picking 1st overall three straight years. Stu and his staff will have their biases despite knowing "more about hockey". They're not infallible.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Tyrolean

Bad pick at that draft position when there are others with more upside. They did that last year and years before picking up tough guys with limited offensive ability.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:20 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

I don't know about u guys but if theres a whl rookie who weighs over 200 lbs and is over 6 ft tall..AND(gary bettmans "and" when he announced the third piece in the staal-carolina trade)...AND...he scored 19 goals while playing mostly 3rd-4th line minutes...AANNDD hes available in the 2nd round Im takin him..
We all know Schultz will sign here, toronto drafting Rielly sealed the deal folks..

Old
06-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post

No kidding. Glad to see someone talking sense in here. Any pick outside of the 1st round is quite the gamble, most of those kids will never be NHL players. If they think Moroz will be a player, and they didn't think he'd be available with their next pick, I don't see a problem.

This is the kind of player we're going to need when we're ready to compete. Good skater, big body, big heart, some scoring touch. Could be a real beauty.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:30 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Character above all else..talent only gets u so far..i bet Schremp can dangle thrice as quick as Crosby..dont mean **** if you only put in half the work..

Old
06-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Njoy Oilers

Havn't chirped for awhile on anything. But I have to say after just following some of the threads re: The draft, I am sure that there are some on here that need to take a vacation like the players do. C'mon guys, just be a fan and quit with the crystal ball ********. We need to try and move on from the childish inuendo and "I told you so's".

Like someone else said earlier, October can't come soon enough.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Moroz can more than hold his own in a fight.

Ive never seen him lose tbh.
He lost to Derko. I watched that fight on youtube today. They're definitely few and far between though.

He's an entertaining fighter.

Lyon is a 20 year old

Old
06-23-2012, 11:16 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I think they went for the safe pick here, knowing this draft isn't that deep. I'm pretty 'meh' about it.

06-23-2012, 11:58 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Thought it was early but Rambo says no way he'd make it to 3rd.

I like the pick.

How does he compare to someone like Ben Eager?

Closed Thread