HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ellis vs. Blum vs. Josi

Old
06-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Ellis vs. Blum vs. Josi

The age-old debate rages on!

Who is the best now? Who has the highest ceiling? Who would you trade first? If Suter leaves, which would you put on our top pairing with Weber?

Which has been disappointing to you? A pleasent surprise?

Anyways, just a place to discuss these three. I didn't put a poll becuase I really don't have a specific question, just want some discussion comparing them to happen.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:18 PM
ilikeblocks

Ellis or Josi with Weber. And pray.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Weber-Josi
Klein-Blum
Ellis-Ekholm

On the bright side, Mackinnon would look AWESOME in gold.

For me, my man crush on Josi is very strong. I think, as long as he doesn't pull a Blum, he could be ready for top pair minutes. I'd prefer to have him play on pairing two, but he can play top if he needs to. I'm giving Josi a 30% chance to turn out as Suter 2.0.

I think Blum will be better than Ellis, but both will be top 4 Dmen.

Old
06-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Everlong
-

Josi is by far the furthest along in terms of development. He also appears to have the highest ceiling. (I had similar praise about blum last year though)

Ellis will be a useful weapon, but he won't be a guy who plays 24+ minutes a game.

Blum will be a serviceable two-way player, capable of playing alot of minutes. He's had a very disappointing year, but I think he can easily bounce back, especially if Suter/Hillen leave, opening up another spot on the blueline.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

As a fan, I go by "what have you done for me lately". Josi had a great rookie campaign and I put him ahead of the others.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 03:05 PM
VFL615*

Josi is my number 1 right now and i would put him with Weber.

Highest ceiling goes to Ellis. The guy has a tone of talent. He showed some good signs when given a chance this year. Get him some ice time and work with NHL strength trainers and i think he is going to turn into a lot of peoples favorite.

Blum is 50/50 they guy has had two shots in the NHL and fell on his face both times. I think he can be a Klein but it does not appear he is going to be anything special. He is also my biggest disappointment.

I would trade Blum.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 10:21 PM
token grinder

2 shots and failed? lest we forget his run season befre last where he logged a solid 20 mins a night. he came to camp with the wrong attitude and had to pay. I expect him to make the preds next year, regardless of suter signing.

blum will have the safest steadiest, 2nd pair career. Josi, if he wasn't made of glass would be with top pair potential, and we really don't know what we have in ellis other than a kid with promise, smarts, and a rocket for a shot. All 3 can be quality contributors

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2012, 08:33 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
2 shots and failed? lest we forget his run season befre last where he logged a solid 20 mins a night. he came to camp with the wrong attitude and had to pay. I expect him to make the preds next year, regardless of suter signing.

blum will have the safest steadiest, 2nd pair career. Josi, if he wasn't made of glass would be with top pair potential, and we really don't know what we have in ellis other than a kid with promise, smarts, and a rocket for a shot. All 3 can be quality contributors
Yeah we really went far with Blum in the lineup "the season before last". Blum is a bum.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Yeah we really went far with Blum in the lineup "the season before last". Blum is a bum.
You're totally right. I guess that Weber, Suter, and Rinne, also on the team that year, are also bums.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:37 AM
token grinder

Quote:
won one more playoff game than with this years flavor josi. I dunno, I'm just spitballin here. maybe they all are bums. maybe we should trade them all to edmonton for jeff petry.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:38 PM
VFL615*

Ahh the board members favorite deflect truth to another subject or player.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I really hope that in 3 years, we can see a defense of....

Weber-Suter (Suter re-signing )
Josi-Blum
Ellis-Ekholm
Oliver Roussel or somebody

All homegrown, all awesome players. The odds of Suter sticking around aren't good, and I think at least one of the big 3 prosepcts gets dealt, but in 3 years, that would be one hell of a defense.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:04 AM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Quote:
Blum looked like a bum last year; the year before that he looked awesome. I expect that, like usual, the truth is somewhere in between. I don't think he's the next Suter but I think he will be a solid defenseman. He has the tools. He just needs to get his mind right.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:07 AM
token grinder

Quote:
did not deflect anything. merely pointed out that the team won one more game with Blum than Josi. Fact.

I take your opinion above to mean there is no logical retort to the fact above, so an insult is the best tact to take.

Fact is, we have 2 talented kids with playoff experience. Neither are bums. Both will contribute for a long time hopefully.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I think, especially if we have on to both Suter and Weber, Blum-Josi could be an unreal 2nd pairing for a very long time.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:26 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I think, especially if we have on to both Suter and Weber, Blum-Josi could be an unreal 2nd pairing for a very long time.
by long time, do you mean 3 years or so? because if they are what we think they are, they will be getting paid around then

Old
06-14-2012, 09:28 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
did not deflect anything. merely pointed out that the team won one more game with Blum than Josi. Fact.

I take your opinion above to mean there is no logical retort to the fact above, so an insult is the best tact to take.

Fact is, we have 2 talented kids with playoff experience. Neither are bums. Both will contribute for a long time hopefully.
What line did Blum play on in his part season with the Predators last year? What line did Josi play?
Josi got moved to the NHL and stayed. Fact. Blum???

I take your opinion/response:
"won one more playoff game than with this years flavor josi. I dunno, I'm just spitballin here. maybe they all are bums. maybe we should trade them all to edmonton for jeff petry."

Is that really your argument. If so i am no so sure your insult FIRST was the best tact to take either.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:51 AM
JR303

Quote:
What line did Blum play on in his part season with the Predators last year? What line did Josi play?

"won one more playoff game than with this years flavor josi. I dunno, I'm just spitballin here. maybe they all are bums. maybe we should trade them all to edmonton for jeff petry."

Is that really your argument. If so i am no so sure your insult FIRST was the best tact to take either.
What he is trying to say is that Blum, exactly one year before, was an excellent defenseman for our team. He was in the same exact spot that Josi was this last season. Fact. Blum came into camp thinking he had the spot locked up, played like crap and took a season to get back to his "normal", which is a very good, very young promising NHL defenseman.

I really don't understand why you've been so argumentative with every single thing on here, he was trying to be comical/show how your assessment of Blum was outlandish compared to the facts. Ryan (Token) is a sharp hockey guy, and while yes there are a lot of them on here, give his opinion a little merit sometimes, he will prove to be very resourceful.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I said it at the deadline, I'll say it again. When we look back at the trade deadline 5 years from now, Poile's best move will be hanging on to Blum. I'm sure he was shopped, but his value is at an all-time low, and he is going to be a very solid, two-way top 4 defenseman.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:31 AM
token grinder

Quote:

Blum was 2nd pair with Klein the season before last that you referenced. you commented on how far we went with Blum in the 2011 playoffs. I pointed out that without Blum and with josi, we won one fewer games. And we didn't even scratch the surface of the quality of the 2nd round opponents the two years.

Do you recognize the fact that the preds, in fact, won one fewer game this year than last? If yes, do you realize Blum played on the 2nd pair with Klein in 2011? If yes, do you realize Josi played on the 2nd pair this year? If we can agree on history, which player has more playoff wins under their belt, and which player has had been on the more successful playoff team? An which talented young defenseman is a bum?

again, I think neither player is a bum. Both promising yound puck movers.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:10 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Blum was 2nd pair with Klein the season before last that you referenced. you commented on how far we went with Blum in the 2011 playoffs. I pointed out that without Blum and with josi, we won one fewer games. And we didn't even scratch the surface of the quality of the 2nd round opponents the two years.

Do you recognize the fact that the preds, in fact, won one fewer game this year than last? If yes, do you realize Blum played on the 2nd pair with Klein in 2011? If yes, do you realize Josi played on the 2nd pair this year? If we can agree on history, which player has more playoff wins under their belt, and which player has had been on the more successful playoff team? An which talented young defenseman is a bum?

again, I think neither player is a bum. Both promising yound puck movers.
Didnt Blum have a rough year in the AHL after getting sent down. It seems like i remember grumblings of this. Maybe the comparisons and opinions needs to be saved and discussed after Blum can stay in the NHL for an extended period of time.

Old
06-14-2012, 12:20 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Josi
Blum if he gets his game together
Ellis
Blum if he plays like he did last year

don't forget Charles Oliver-Roussel is coming up.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:23 PM
JR303

Quote:
Didnt Blum have a rough year in the AHL after getting sent down. It seems like i remember grumblings of this. Maybe the comparisons and opinions needs to be saved and discussed after Blum can stay in the NHL for an extended period of time.
But, this time last year, most everyone on this message board was as high on Blum as we all are on Josi today. Maybe even moreso.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post
But, this time last year, most everyone on this message board was as high on Blum as we all are on Josi today. Maybe even moreso.
They sound eerily, eerily similar.

Old
06-14-2012, 01:26 PM
token grinder

Quote:
you referenced Blum and the 2011 playoffs and compared them to the 2012 playoffs. What does Blum being in the AHL this year have to do with the comparison.

Your statement was he was a bum, referencing what the preds did in the 2011 playoffs, which was winning 6 games.

i want to know what, in the frame of this discussion, that makes Josi since he is another young kid, who played on the 2nd pair, that was called up mis-season, that plays a similar game and won less? Or gonna keep dodging the question?

to answer yours, it looked like he didn't want to be in milwaukee. He had to readjust, and once he did, he was fine. A comparison is warrented becasue they are close in age, experience, and what they bring with their skillset.