Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Finnish People, Question(s)

Old
11-26-2012, 10:28 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Finnish People, Question(s)

So I'm bored and need a vacation out of the US. Haven't ever been to Finland and I think it is probably time I do just that. Feb 10-23rd. (Bday is the 20th). So Questions:

- Best Place to stay?
- Where can I search around for tickets to any hockey games going on?
- How is the metro there to get around the city?
- Best places to eat/get a drink? (this is a big one...Moldova/Ukraine/Romania you couldn't find any place that was like a bar bar I swear)

Thank you much

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:39 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
I'll actually be in Helsinki for 2ish days in late January, so I'm listening intently to these questions as well.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Personally, I'm waiting until the 2014 WJC in Sweden. But Finland is cool, too.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

I don't think our Finnish friends are awake yet.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Coming to a game? Visiting Finland? We've got a post for you!

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:09 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Coming to a game? Visiting Finland? We've got a post for you!
I need to get away from here for a bit and it was always the one country I wanted to see while I was stationed in Europe but didn't. I've been pretty much everywhere else in the continent.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

Thats how I imagine everybody. Except with a cigarette.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Wasted Talent

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

This is more accurate.

I can't really answer the other questions since I don't live in or near Helsinki, but you can find tickets here HERE.

Wasted Talent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:23 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
So I'm bored and need a vacation out of the US. Haven't ever been to Finland and I think it is probably time I do just that. Feb 10-23rd. (Bday is the 20th). So Questions:

1. Best Place to stay?
2. Where can I search around for tickets to any hockey games going on?
3. How is the metro there to get around the city?
4. Best places to eat/get a drink? (this is a big one...Moldova/Ukraine/Romania you couldn't find any place that was like a bar bar I swear)

Thank you much
1. If you're visiting Helsinki, you may just want to check the overall cost but Sokos or Cumulus are popular in central Helsinki.

2. http://www.lippupalvelu.fi/artist/sm-liiga/907522

3. The metro is great but I'm not sure it's the best way to see the real Helsinki.

4. This I dunno.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
The metro, trams and buses are all viable means of public transport in Helsinki. HSL.fi has "Journey Planner" that can be very useful as long as you know where you are and where you're going.

Haite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:11 PM
muuska

2. 23th there is Hifk-Jokerit game and you if you have a time you should go chek that. Tickets you can search on the teams websites
www.hifk.fi
www.jokerit.fi

3. Best way to see Helsinki is the tram, but i can recomend just walkin, Helsinki is not that big..

4. I like most Elmo Sportbar and Villi Wäinö, but Baker's and Bar Loose are great too. Bars and nighclubs are wery close to each other, so it is kinda easy to see what kind of place those are..

muuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:19 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

1) Depends on how much you want to pay..
2) There are two links from previous posters. First one for Jokerit tickets and the second one for HIFK tickets.
3) Metro takes you from west to east (or more accurately from southwest to northeast). It's good if you're going somewhere near station, although it doesn't acctually go around the city. Use buses and trams for that HSL. Don't forget Suomenlinna! It's a great place. Pretty quiet in the winter, but it's just beatiful. There you must go by ferry.
4) I'm getting too old and go out too rarely there.. (I don't live in Helsinki but near). Bars.. yes there are. Teerenpeli (bar&brewery), Molly Malone's (Irish), Andorra/Corona/Dubrovnik/Cafe Moskva (Kaurismäki's place). I don't know!? There are many. Maybe THIS helps a bit? Don't forget district called Kallio. It's legendary old working class area, turning a bit hipsterish nowadays though. If you like Music, it's Tavastia.

Food, yeah. Gaijin (Asian).. Actually. Don't know much about restaurants anymore. Again, I visit there far too rarely. But I hope some fellow countryman will continue and we will update this information as your trip comes closer.

But... Welcome! Hope you enjoy!

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:48 PM
BigT2002

Thanks guys seriously We are in the planning phases right now for this trip so the more info I have the better. Both Jokerit and HIFK games will be on the list along with probably traveling out of the city.

Any other suggestions for things to see that are non hockey related?

Hotel wise, money really isn't an issue. These are trips I splurge on

Old
11-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

I will probably try and go see Jokerit-Kalpa on 16th of Feb, 5pm. Should be an awesome game.

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:33 PM
FVM
60 degrees north

vCash: 1301
If you look for good beer, you can't go wrong with Kaisla. 25 beers on tap and about 120 altogether in a cosy atmosphere. It's centrally located too, close to the central railway station and Kaisaniemi metro station.

Restaurantwise, I myself tend to frequent the ethnic joints, especially Nepalese. For some reason there's a big concentration of Nepalese places in Helsinki and they are good value for money. Mount Everest mini chain has been a sure bet so far. For authentic Finnish fare, head to Sea Horse in southern Helsinki. It's a classic that has served good traditional Finnish food since 1934.

Warm welcome to our cold country!

FVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 04:06 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

Hotels. The finest one is clearly Kämp. But it's ..like.. too much if you ask me.

Next level, there's maybe GLO, Radisson Blu (several), Scandic (several), Hotel Katajanokka (formerly jailhouse )

After that, I assume (or some of them on a same level).. Sokos Hotels. I like Hotel Torni (Tower). There's very nice bar upstairs and the hotel ifself has some historical "significance". Both Wermacht (during the war) and Allied Commission (Soviets, after the war) lived in this hotel. Sounds quite harsh, but it's cool. Plus it is located in the very center of Helsinki.

IMO then comes places like Cumulus, Arthur, Helka..

Last there are places like Omenahotellit and different hostels. But if you want to ENJOY your holiday and as you already said.. got some budget to use.. ..you shouldn't consider these.

Last edited by W75: 11-26-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old
11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

Oh, I checked your profile, one place you might like to visit is: Aviation Museum. Not a glamorous place, chilly warehouse-like hall. But you can find.. surprise.. planes. It's right next to Helsinki-Vantaa Airport where you're gonna land when you're coming.

Then there's small but historical airport in eastern Helsinki, Helsinki-Malmi. It's still in use. Small planes, training, parachuting, border guard, aviation enterprises and associations.. like DeMotu and DC-association ..for instance.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:45 PM
behemolari

forget helsinki, go to lapland

behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post

- Best Place to stay?
- Where can I search around for tickets to any hockey games going on?
- How is the metro there to get around the city?
- Best places to eat/get a drink? (this is a big one...Moldova/Ukraine/Romania you couldn't find any place that was like a bar bar I swear)

Thank you much
1) As others said, Sokos Hotels and Cumulus are sure bets, but I find them a bit... generic. Hotel Hanasaari might be an interesting choice. It's located in a small island between Helsinki and Espoo, yet really close to central Helsinki. Surrounded by sea, I find it a beautiful place. It's connected to Helsinki by highway 51, so you'll find it easy to get in and out from. However, if you want closer to Central Helsinki, you can't go wrong with Crowne Plaza. Winner of "Finland's Leading Hotel"-award 4 times, last in 2011, it offers luxury and a great atmosphere as well as a brilliant location, right in Central Helsinki. Third option I included is Sokos Hotel Grand Marina, located in Katajannokka, right next to the sea as well as Central Helsinki. Surrounded by beautiful old buildings as well as the marina atmosphere, it reveals the sights and scenery of our capital.

2) Here's the list of games played in Helsinki or Espoo (next to Helsinki) during your stay:

Code:
12th of February:

Blues - Kärpät
Jokerit - Ässät 

15th of February:

Blues - Tappara

16th of February:

Jokerit - KalPa

19th of February:

HIFK - Pelicans

20th of February:

Blues - Jokerit 

22nd of February:

Jokerit - Ilves
Out of those, I'd suggest at least Blues - Jokerit, as it's a local game, meaning there's a bit of rivalry between these two. Only downside is that it's on your Birthday, which you might or might not want to spend by watching hockey. Also, as Muuska said, the HIFK-Jokerit game on 23rd is an absolute must for any hockey fan to experience. I'm talking about the ultimate rivalry in Finnish ice hockey. It's intense, it's physical and it will be great. These games usually start at 6.30pm by the way. You can find tickets at Lippupalvelu, feel free to ask for help if you have any troubles.

I'm going to see a couple of Blues games during that time period as well, so we might run into each other at some point.

3) Well... You can get around Central Helsinki somewhat, but it's a bit crappy. I'd suggest using trams or buses instead. Haite mentioned the journey planner, use it. It's great. HSL.fi is a great resource, it contains everything you need to know about public transport in Finland.

4) A lot of them. There are sports bars, like Sports Academy, Elmo and others located in very convenient places in Central Helsinki. As for dining, there's a lot of Asian cuisine available, but there are some Mexican, Italian and Spanish restaurants as well. You can also simply grab a good pizza from the number of private pizza&kebab joints around the town. It usually costs 7-8e depending on the fillings, and it's a great way to cure hunger.

Don't forget to visit Wikitravel's Helsinki page, which contains basically a complete guide to visiting Helsinki, tips and places to visit and so on.

If you fancy a small HF meetup, we can perhaps go and see a game and maybe grab a pint or two afterwards?

And finally, welcome to Helsinki! I'm sure you'll like it here.

Puhis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:32 AM
MMANumminen

If you want to see good hockey you have to travel to Oulu, central Finland, the place where FBJ's grow
There you can take a train and come to Lapland and drive a snowmobile until you drop

MMANumminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 06:39 AM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
If you want to see good hockey you have to travel to Oulu, central Finland, the place where FBJ's grow
There you can take a train and come to Lapland and drive a snowmobile until you drop
Just curious, but do Finnish people have a snowmobile brand that they prefer? is it a local brand, or do you guys import stuff from over here? Like Polaris or Artic Cat?

Polaris and Artic Cat both were started in Minnesota, about 30-45 minutes from each other in pretty small towns. Polaris from a town with a lot of Finnish and Swedish ancestors, and Artic Cat from a town that has a lot of Germans and Fins.

Thought it would be interesting if you guys imported from some of your off-shoot descendants

tyratoku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:10 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Like Polaris or Artic Cat?
Both of them are very common in here. We do have Lynxes and Ski-Doo's, some Yamahas as well...

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:29 AM
zzmoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Just curious, but do Finnish people have a snowmobile brand that they prefer? is it a local brand, or do you guys import stuff from over here? Like Polaris or Artic Cat?

Polaris and Artic Cat both were started in Minnesota, about 30-45 minutes from each other in pretty small towns. Polaris from a town with a lot of Finnish and Swedish ancestors, and Artic Cat from a town that has a lot of Germans and Fins.

Thought it would be interesting if you guys imported from some of your off-shoot descendants
There is the domestic brand Lynx (www.brplynx.com), although nowadays they are a part of Bombardier, and are as such essentially Ski-doos with some cosmetic changes and different suspension. There used to be others, but they all folded by the early 90's.
Other than that it's the usual suspects, i.e. Polaris, Arctic Cat, Ski-doo and Yamaha.

zzmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Jacques The Mayor

vCash: 0
Find juzmo

Jacques The Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:09 AM
BigT2002

Holy crap! You guys have seriously blown my mind!! Thank you so much for the info. I am getting things lined up as we speak.