HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospect Rankings - #1

View Poll Results: Who is the the #1 prospect of the Winnipeg Jets?
Ivan Telegin (Barrie Colts) 10 10.87%
Carl Klingberg (St. John's IceCaps) 2 2.17%
Paul Postma (St. John's IceCaps) 1 1.09%
Mark Scheifele (Barrie Colts) 65 70.65%
Patrice Cormier (St. John's IceCaps) 1 1.09%
Adam Lowry (Swift Current Broncos) 0 0%
Eddie Pasquale (St. John's IceCaps) 1 1.09%
Julian Melchiori (St. John's IceCaps) 0 0%
Jacob Trouba (USNTDP) 12 13.04%
Lukas Sutter (Saskatoon Blades) 0 0%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-25-2012, 10:46 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospect Rankings - #1

We did one of these last summer and with the draft now over, I figured we could do it again.

After voting, post who you think should be added to the poll.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
The Schief Master @ 1.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:57 PM
surixon

I'm going with Scheifele here as I see him as having the highest ceiling and filling the most important position as a number 1 center. Trouba is arguably the safer pick as I think at worst he becomes Mark Stuart but I don't see him ever becoming a number 1 defenseman. I think his ceiling is that of an excellent number 3 or solid number 2.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:08 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
My vote for #1 is Jacob Trouba I think he will have a bigger impact on the Jets long term then Scheif

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Whileee

It's a bit too early to tell, but Scheifele is the most obvious choice. However, I won't be surprised if Trouba becomes the best of this lot. Telegin seems like the only other prospect who seems to have the potential to out-perform either of those two.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Wow.

You have NO ideas how happy it is to have 2 top prospects to decide from. AMAZING.

Going Schiefele here. Although just as other have said it can just as equally likely become Trouba a few years down the road.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Shef.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Wow.

You have NO ideas how happy it is to have 2 top prospects to decide from. AMAZING.

Going Schiefele here. Although just as other have said it can just as equally likely become Trouba a few years down the road.
Hahahah I know, our prospect pool is so shallow it feels like an embarrassment of riches to have two. I picked Trouba, because I think the kid's going to be a stud and a half for us. Maybe even two whole studs.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Inflict
Viking

I voted for Scheifele. He has top 6 potential and is almost a lock for being a proficient NHL player in some form. Trouba's offensive ceiling is a bit of an unknown, although I have seen several scouting reports pegging him as a two-way defenceman or even an offensive defenceman.

Really, the only reason why Scheifele gets the nod is because we have all had an extra year to focus our attention on his development. The rankings could easily change next year.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:24 AM
HPsauce

Telegin. He's going to be wicked

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:27 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I went with Mark because I feel like he'll have a great impact on the team. I wanted us to draft Trouba for months, whereas I wasn't nearly as high on Scheifele pre-draft. That said, its great to have both and I took a while before voting for Mark.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 03:11 AM
PostmanPat1919

Scheifele, because of his upside. Then Trouba #2 and Telegin #3.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:11 AM
TroubaFan1

I had to go with Scheifele on this one.

TroubaFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:28 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I went Scheifele. I like Trouba a lot, but he still needs some more seasoning for me to rank him #1.

Add Zach Redmond.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 04:59 AM
anatsu
twitter: @finanatsu

Scheifele with slight margin. As for now it seems like he has potential to be elite forward. But Trouba's upside is big too. Happy with both.

anatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Scheifele has more upside still and is much closer to the NHL as well.

Where did you get this list? Melchiori, Pasquale over KULDA, MACHACEK, Yuen and Redmond. Wow. I'd suggest just using hockeysfutures top 10 + Trouba and Sutter, but that's just me.

Add Machacek, but Kulda should 100% be on there as well.

Also a little early to be doing this, IMO, since this is best saved for the boring times in late July/August, but meh.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 06-26-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:59 AM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

Schief is like a couples first child. He's the golden child, so therefore alot will be expected from him. As a result, he is and will continue to be the Jets top prospect until he makes the team or fizzles out.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Trouba likely won't play for us for 4 years. You don't skip minor hockey to play college unless you really want some sort of education.

With that in mind, I say Scheifele.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Trouba likely won't play for us for 4 years. You don't skip minor hockey to play college unless you really want some sort of education.
I'm thinking Trouba spends two years at Michigan before making the jump. Really just a guess, but that seems to be typical for top draft picks going the college route.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Voted Scheifele, add Machacek.

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Helsingin Jokerit

I voted Scheifele, wasnt an easy decision between him and Trouba.

Add Kosmachuk

Helsingin Jokerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:03 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I'm thinking Trouba spends two years at Michigan before making the jump. Really just a guess, but that seems to be typical for top draft picks going the college route.
I heard a pretty interesting debate yesterday on "XM centre ice" on Collage vs. Junior and which is better for the development of a prospect. While at first glance its easy to think Juniors because they play more games in the season and have away more intense playoff system if you prospect is on a top team. However I heard a guy make a great argument for Collage, he said that less games = more practice time and more time in the gym to train and those are also key elements in development. He also mentioned good collage programs are very structured and every detail is part of the routine including things like diet. There is probably a lot to be said for 40 (ish) collage games, plus playoffs, and international competition vs. close to 100 games (if you were a kid on London or Edmonton) when it comes to physical growth. Each has its own value proposition but I think it will be more challenging for a kid like Scheifele to put on 15 to 20 pounds of muscle with how crazy his schedule is vs. a kid like Trouba who will travel less, play less, pracitice more, and get more time in the gym.

Interesting debate and it opened my mind on why an alternate route might make sense

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:24 AM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I heard a pretty interesting debate yesterday on "XM centre ice" on Collage vs. Junior and which is better for the development of a prospect. While at first glance its easy to think Juniors because they play more games in the season and have away more intense playoff system if you prospect is on a top team. However I heard a guy make a great argument for Collage, he said that less games = more practice time and more time in the gym to train and those are also key elements in development. He also mentioned good collage programs are very structured and every detail is part of the routine including things like diet. There is probably a lot to be said for 40 (ish) collage games, plus playoffs, and international competition vs. close to 100 games (if you were a kid on London or Edmonton) when it comes to physical growth. Each has its own value proposition but I think it will be more challenging for a kid like Scheifele to put on 15 to 20 pounds of muscle with how crazy his schedule is vs. a kid like Trouba who will travel less, play less, pracitice more, and get more time in the gym.

Interesting debate and it opened my mind on why an alternate route might make sense
Quite frankly, I don't buy the argument that playing more gives you less time to spend in the gym. Listening to some of the draft interviews it sounds like alot of these guys use the summer to build up the body mass, not during the season. And you can't tell me that the junior programs are any less structured than the college programs.

BTW, who was doing the interview? Paul Kelly? I've heard Kelly on Prime Time Sports while he was still with College Hockey Inc. bad mouthing the junior programs and spouting such nonsense. Insinuating that the junior operators were paying kids to join their teams instead of going to US college teams.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:30 AM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

Another argument for college hockey which I agree with is that these 18 year old top prospects coming into the NCAA are playing against a lot of guys that are 21, 22, 23 and physically mature rather than beating up on physically immature teenagers.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:43 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Schief is like a couples first child. He's the golden child, so therefore alot will be expected from him. As a result, he is and will continue to be the Jets top prospect until he makes the team or fizzles out.
you know what is funny AUB Since we have run out of hockey to watch I cued up our first game against the Habs which I still have on the PVR and started watching the game yesterday. It brings back a few memories but also was an eye opener and let me explain. I think most of us kind of remember Mark blowing us away in preseason but then being physically over matched once the regular season started. I was mildly surprised when I was watching the Habs game again at how dangerous Scheifele was. The best two scoring chances early in that first period (I am about 12 minutes in) where generated by Scheifele. The first one came off a drop pass to Mark from Wellwood as they gained the Habs blue line and Mark (at full speed) instantly threw a sweet seeing eye pass all the way cross ice, through a crowd, onto a jets stick for a beauty chance. The second time Mark was down low and made a great quick play where he received a pass and instantly got the puck off his stick with a quick pass onto the stick of a Jet in scoring position in the slot (bang bang). When I was watching it again it jumped out at me that his vision and creative passing was something sorely lacking from a Jets player this past year. He looked really dangerous early in that game and was doing things our other forwards can't do or at least not that often. His vision and skill (instincts) to put the puck where it needed to go and make that play instantly at full speed were on full display. It is nice because Mark was making finding the open man and putting the puck on his stick look easy that game and as we have seen young guys like Kane and Burmi made it look really tough last year. Now Kane and Burmi can blow you away with speed and skating and other individual skills that Mark struggled with but his vision, passing, and hockey IQ are so unique and pretty complimentary. When I watched that opening 12 minutes again it made me think of Jordan Eberle a bit as far as playing style…..by that I mean maybe not the fastest skater, or the most physically gifted, but the most dangerous guy on the ice for us.

Mark wasn't physically ready last year and his two way game needed work but it was nice to see him make those great plays again as an 18 year old against the pros at full speed in the opening period of the opening game under all that pressure. It reminded me why I loved him so much early last year.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote