HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs select Dalton Thrower - 51st overall

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 03:29 AM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

vCash: 500
Thrower's friends (or family) made/got him a nice cake..

NGL, Thats one bad ass looking cake.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Thrower's friends (or family) made/got him a nice cake..

NGL, Thats one bad ass looking cake.
That is one bad ass cake.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
For the sake of comparing both of Dietz and Thrower, while it's totally understandable based on experience, Dietz is more solid on his end than Dalton. He understands the game better defensively. It should improve as far as Thrower is concerned but to say that he is already better on every level of the game is totally false. Does Dalton has the ability to be better? Surely. But I believe we will be pleasantly surprised by Dietz in the upcoming camps. In the end, it's great to have both guys in our pool.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For the sake of comparing both of Dietz and Thrower, while it's totally understandable based on experience, Dietz is more solid on his end than Dalton. He understands the game better defensively. It should improve as far as Thrower is concerned but to say that he is already better on every level of the game is totally false. Does Dalton has the ability to be better? Surely. But I believe we will be pleasantly surprised by Dietz in the upcoming camps. In the end, it's great to have both guys in our pool.
This.

Who cares if anyone thinks one is better than the other. They're OUR prospects and they'll prove which one is better in time when one makes the team before the other. If they make it at the same time, then which ever one gets more ice time.

Just sit back and say " Feels good, man"

Old
07-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Beendair Donedat

The prospect of Thrower, Dietz, Tinordi, Ellis and Beaulieu all playing mean, tough hockey has me very excited. Best looking prospect crew on defense in a long long time.

Old
07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
ChoseLa

Ellis thoughness has been overblown. He's just a regular player regarding thoughness, PK is way more physical and better at fighting.

Thrower, Dietz, Beaulieu and Tinordi are realy good fighters though.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:22 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Ellis thoughness has been overblown. He's just a regular player regarding thoughness, PK is way more physical and better at fighting.

PK has no fighting skills But he does hit like a freight train.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
TinordiandSubban

Had to repost this:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/20...n-thrower.html

Highlights are outstanding!

Old
07-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Habs

Quote:

No they aren't. Beaulieu is tough as nails, but he isn't a 'really good fighter' , that isn't his role. He can handle himself in a fight, but thats about it.

Tinordi is a 'tough' kid in the CHL but he seriously needs fighting lessons if he wants to keep up that role in the NHL. I think he'll make that transition to a 'decent fighter', but he isn't there yet.

If you think NB and JT are 'really good fighters' you are wrong.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
No they aren't. Beaulieu is tough as nails, but he isn't a 'really good fighter' , that isn't his role. He can handle himself in a fight, but thats about it.

Tinordi is a 'tough' kid in the CHL but he seriously needs fighting lessons if he wants to keep up that role in the NHL. I think he'll make that transition to a 'decent fighter', but he isn't there yet.

Top fighters in junior don't necessarily jump into the pros and become top fighters there but after 2-3 years I think both will hold their own. Beaulieu will be a pretty good fighter that drops the gloves 4-5 times a year when needed. Tinordi once he fills out should be a force, right now he doesn't yet have dangerous punching power so he will sometimes lose to smaller guys, at 240lbs he will be a guy nobody messes with.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Tinordi once he fills out should be a force, right now he doesn't yet have dangerous punching power so he will sometimes lose to smaller guys, at 240lbs he will be a guy nobody messes with.
There are lots of guys in the NHL willing to 'mess' with Tinordi, so lets not put him on a pedestal. People messed with Chara, Gill... Tinordi will be no exception. All I said was, he isn't a great fighter yet but he probably will fill the role of a tough dman nicely, in time.

Old
07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
S Bah

Quote:

You haven't seen much fighting if you think PK can fight.I've taught 100 lbs. women to fight better.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
If Thrower had the offensive upside of Wiz or Biesksa I think he would've gone in the 1st-round.

He reminds me of another tough as nails smallish defenceman from the Saskatoon Blades: Barret Jackman.
Bieksa- 5th round (151st overall)
Wiz - 5th round (156th overall)

will have to see what Thrower's offensive progress looks like this year, but suffice it to say that projecting a defensman's NHL offensive production based on their draft ranking is pretty useless.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Et le But

Quote:

It's not his role but Beaulieu is a pretty good fighter; he shouldn't be going around fighting everything that moves but if he keeps physically developing having a little nasty in his game is a nice bonus.

Tinordi really isn't a good fighter at all but he's going to be naturally intimidating unless he turns into a Gill-like softie. He doesn't need to be the technically best fighter out there at his size, though he needs work if he wants to drop them in the NHL.

What is nice is all these guys in question play at least moderately physical even if some of them are on the nice side, like Ellis. They all hit a good amount.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
There are lots of guys in the NHL willing to 'mess' with Tinordi, so lets not put him on a pedestal. People messed with Chara, Gill... Tinordi will be no exception. All I said was, he isn't a great fighter yet but he probably will fill the role of a tough dman nicely, in time.
Ok, then very few will mess with.

Old
07-27-2012, 06:42 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
PK has no fighting skills But he does hit like a freight train.
Very true!

PK is the most pathetic fighter I have ever seen.........fortunately he is a hell of a player which more than makes up for his pugilistic shortcomings.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Narbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Really don't see the Jackman comparison. They're both smaller, tough D, but play opposite styles.
I agree 100% with this.

But I will say, he looks a lot like Lyle Odelein did coming out of junior.

Wouldn't a player like that help the Habs for years to come.

Old
07-27-2012, 12:53 PM
projexns
Winnipeg White-Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Bieksa- 5th round (151st overall)
Wiz - 5th round (156th overall)

will have to see what Thrower's offensive progress looks like this year, but suffice it to say that projecting a defensman's NHL offensive production based on their draft ranking is pretty useless.

A couple of you have misunderstood my post. The main point is not where Bieksa and Wiz were drafted but rather what kind of NHLers they became.

They have become offensively productive at the NHL level with multiple 0.5 ppg seasons. Therefore, a d-man prospect who is not big but plays with toughness and is thought to have offensive upside as well will be compared to Bieksa and Wiz. Not because of where they were drafted but rather what type of NHLers they became.

I don't see Thrower as having that high of a ceiling offensively, hence my comparison of him with Jackman rather than Bieksa or Wiz. Both Thrower and Jackman were smaller tough guys in junior who put up good offensive numbers in their draft years. Jackman's offence has translated to the 20-25 point level in the NHL which is where I see Thrower's NHL production settling into.

Hence my other point that if Thrower was viewed as having 0.5 ppg potential in the NHL along with his toughness and compete level, in other words, another Bieksa, that package would've translated into being a 1st-round pick, especially in this year's draft. As a 2nd-rounder, some element was seen as lacking.

But that's not a knock on him. On the Blackhawks board I posted wanting Thrower as our 2nd-round pick was coming up. I'll be following his progress, and if he turns out to be even better than a RH warrior version of Jackman, I'll be happy for the Habs (and envious!)

Old
09-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Dada

Mr. Thrower playing tonight

Old
09-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
A couple of you have misunderstood my post. The main point is not where Bieksa and Wiz were drafted but rather what kind of NHLers they became.

They have become offensively productive at the NHL level with multiple 0.5 ppg seasons. Therefore, a d-man prospect who is not big but plays with toughness and is thought to have offensive upside as well will be compared to Bieksa and Wiz. Not because of where they were drafted but rather what type of NHLers they became.

I don't see Thrower as having that high of a ceiling offensively, hence my comparison of him with Jackman rather than Bieksa or Wiz. Both Thrower and Jackman were smaller tough guys in junior who put up good offensive numbers in their draft years. Jackman's offence has translated to the 20-25 point level in the NHL which is where I see Thrower's NHL production settling into.

Hence my other point that if Thrower was viewed as having 0.5 ppg potential in the NHL along with his toughness and compete level, in other words, another Bieksa, that package would've translated into being a 1st-round pick, especially in this year's draft. As a 2nd-rounder, some element was seen as lacking.

But that's not a knock on him. On the Blackhawks board I posted wanting Thrower as our 2nd-round pick was coming up. I'll be following his progress, and if he turns out to be even better than a RH warrior version of Jackman, I'll be happy for the Habs (and envious!)
Thrower being drafted in the second round doesn't by default mean that his offensive ceiling is limited... that was my only point.

you may not think Thrower will progress to the offensive level that Bieksa/Wiz have, but scouts didn't see them as having the offensive ceilings they ended up with either.

Old
09-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Thrower being drafted in the second round doesn't by default mean that his offensive ceiling is limited... that was my only point.

you may not think Thrower will progress to the offensive level that Bieksa/Wiz have, but scouts didn't see them as having the offensive ceilings they ended up with either.
Thower's main reason for being a sound rounder is his size IMO, which he doesn't have the elite talent make up for. But plenty of similar players have overcome being slightly undersized too.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Thower's main reason for being a sound rounder is his size IMO, which he doesn't have the elite talent make up for. But plenty of similar players have overcome being slightly undersized too.
He also doesn't have the superior offensive or defensive game that a top pick tends to have.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm not entirely convinced that Tinordi will be an everyday NHLer. Before we start talking about whether people will challenge him in the NHL, he has other aspects of his game to worry about that are far more important.

I like this Thrower kid. From what I've seen, he reminds me a little bit of bieksa and wisniewski. I will definitely keep a closer eye on him this year.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I watched the highlight video and man does he look tough.

Fighting nowadays is more about grappling and trying to get a haymaker in (which rarely happens) but in the CHL they're full of piss and vinegar so they just go all out. His fight was one of those fights where they both stand still and throw big punches and he seemed to land a lot more than he received, which is good.

Anyway I'm super excited to see how he progresses. Imagine him an inch or two taller at 215 lbs... he'll be a freight train.

Old
09-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

I think that's a pretty fair post, tbh.

Closed Thread