HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DEFENSE ONLY 2012 NHL Draft | Jun 23 | 10:00a | Rounds 2-7

Old
06-23-2012, 04:10 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
I read a little about Pellech before the 2d day and thought he looked like a really good prospect. Yeah he might not be a top pairing d-man, but he seemed like a potential shut-down #4 or 5 type guy who'd be a team leader as well. I was kind of hoping they'd take him with the 2d round pick. I'm not quite sure how he lasted until the 3rd round, but good for us. Who cares about upside in the 3rd round? If he's a solid defensive d-man, what more can you ask for at that point in the draft?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:12 PM
kmo429

vCash: 500
I LOVED the Pokka, Somerby, and Pelech picks, in addition to Reinhart.

Look at our D 3+ years down the road: Hamonic, De Haan, Reinhart, Donovan, Pedan, MacDonald, Ness, Pokka, Pelech, Somerby, I love it!

kmo429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Isles Junkie

Pokka, Pelech, Somerby, Graham and Klatt interviews are up on islanderstv

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Pokka, Pelech, Somerby, Graham and Klatt interviews are up on islanderstv
Pokka interview is hilarious. The kid is so nervous he forgot to breathe at certain points.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Pokka interview is hilarious. The kid is so nervous he forgot to breathe at certain points.
Haha, I noticed that too. English is not his first language either so that would add to it.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Geez Garth sure likes defensemen.. I just got back from the beach and saw who we drafted. The majority of you seem pleased so that generally means these guys will suck.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:44 PM
onesinceforty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Yes but his poor skating will keep him out of the NHL if not improved.
What do I really know but I would have preferred Finn instead of the Finn. I generally want the more committed NA as opposed to the stay at home and develop Euro.

onesinceforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I find things that like so excruciatingly painful to watch, that I only made it about 30 seconds into the interview.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
I find myself pretty pleased with how the draft went.

Reinhart was a fine pick, though this pick was kind of hard to mess up. I do love his upside, and he's a very safe pick as well. Was hoping for Murray here, but not really anything that could be done about that, and given how far Forsberg fell, I can't blame Snow for passing on him as well. Anyway, I really like this pick.

Pokka I am pleased with. There were some guys here I would've wanted more, Finn in particular, but Pokka was a highly rated defenseman (McKenzie had him 31) so it's not like we went off the board. Seems like a good, safe, all around guy. Not a massive upside, but as long as he can improve his footspeed a little, should have a lengthy career.

Love the Pelech pick. Was personally hoping we'd trade down from our 2nd to the 37 or 38 spot to grab an extra pick in the 47-50 range so we could grab Pelech. Turns out, we didn't need to. Has the upside to be a top 4 physical shutdown guy who won't hurt you with the puck on his stick. I am thrilled we got him where we did.

Did find it interesting that the rest of the draft are project Dmen. But even if just one of them develops to potential, that's awesome, as these guys do have pretty decent upsides for this late in the draft.

So, overall, I feel our prospect pool is much better rounded and improved as a whole. In addition, we improved in the short term with the addition of Visnovsky. All in all, very happy with how this weekend went for us.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Menwithouthat tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post

Reinhart was a fine pick, though this pick was kind of hard to mess up.
Reinhart was easy to mess up. We could easily have taken Forsberg, or Dumba, or even Teravainen.

I glanced through other teams' draft boards, and I'm not really impressed. Edmonton agonized over defense, chose the BPA in Yakupov, then drafted three more nameless forwards the next three rounds. I wasn't impressed with Edmonton's draft or those of most other teams. Looking at a bunch of different teams' drafts, the only ones that looked good to me were Buffalo's and Montreal's.

Garth has proven to run an astute drafting team. In 2008, he traded down twice, let other GM's pick middling picks in the 5-8 range and got a forward as good as any of them. The Isles were at a point in their development that they needed forwards to build around, missed some defensemen that turned out to be real good (Karlsson, Myers). Garth couldn't know he would be drafting Tavares the following year. Now many GM's consider the draft-down strategy.

In 2009, Garth changed course, trading up to get the guy he wanted (de Hann) at #12. Did the same in 2010 with Brock Nelson.

In 2010, he passed over two defensemen tp go after the exciting forward (Nino) How could you do it, Garth! But then, the next batch of GM's followed the same path.

In 2011, everyone knew we needed defense, expected us to take Dougie. But Garth took Strome, knowing the following year's draft would have all the defensemen he could want. Garth was developing a reputation as a wild card, someone who drafted forwards early despite team need.

Now its 2012. Everyone is thinking, if we can't get players X or Y, let's trade down a few spots for extra picks and get a generic defenseman. It was assumed that the few decent forwards would go high, and Garth would take a forward at 4 with Murray gone, and poof, Garth takes a non-Murray defenseman at #4. How could you do it Garth, you could have traded down, maybe get Reinhart at 7 or 8. Then the following GM's all took the best defensemen on their boards, also not being able or willing to trade down.

Now Garth's targetted players, Bailey, Brock Nelson, and Calvin de Hann (along with Nino, who wasn't necessarily targetted) have yet to be proven astute picks. But clearly, Garth isn't doing his drafting by reading from a "Drafting for Dummies" playbook.

I'm really happy with Garth's drafting.

Menwithouthat tricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menwithouthat tricks View Post
Reinhart was easy to mess up. We could easily have taken Forsberg, or Dumba, or even Teravainen.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying taking Reinhart was a no-brainer, but I am saying any of the realistic options here (Forsberg, Rielly, Dumba) would have been fine picks, IMO.

And overall I am pretty pleased with Garth's drafting and the moves he makes at the draft. I think it's the area of GMing that he handles the most proficiently.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Garth Snow seemed very defensive and not all that forward thinking about this draft
You think? Lol

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:52 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post

Reinhart was a fine pick, though this pick was kind of hard to mess up. I do love his upside, and he's a very safe pick as well. Was hoping for Murray here, but not really anything that could be done about that, and given how far Forsberg fell, I can't blame Snow for passing on him as well. Anyway, I really like this pick.

Pokka I am pleased with. There were some guys here I would've wanted more, Finn in particular, but Pokka was a highly rated defenseman (McKenzie had him 31) so it's not like we went off the board. Seems like a good, safe, all around guy. Not a massive upside, but as long as he can improve his footspeed a little, should have a lengthy career.

Love the Pelech pick. Was personally hoping we'd trade down from our 2nd to the 37 or 38 spot to grab an extra pick in the 47-50 range so we could grab Pelech. Turns out, we didn't need to. Has the upside to be a top 4 physical shutdown guy who won't hurt you with the puck on his stick. I am thrilled we got him where we did.

Did find it interesting that the rest of the draft are project Dmen. But even if just one of them develops to potential, that's awesome, as these guys do have pretty decent upsides for this late in the draft.

So, overall, I feel our prospect pool is much better rounded and improved as a whole. In addition, we improved in the short term with the addition of Visnovsky. All in all, very happy with how this weekend went for us.
Yeah, I feel pretty much the same way. Reinhart wasn't my guy and I was surprised they took him. I read some things about his high hockey IQ and calm presence on the ice and now I feel better. Needless to say, it's all about risk b/c if he pans out then 6'4" is a great thing.

I like Pokka for the same reasons you stated, and I'll add that he's a RH d-man. Call me old-fashioned, but I like having a mix of LH/RH d-men in the pipeline and on the team. RH d-men are more rare and therefore more valuable. And I like what I read about Pokka's calm under pressure - can't overstate the importance of that for a d-man (think the opposite of Chris Campoli).

Love the Pellech pick. I have a feeling we might have gotten Hamonic-lucky with that one. Just a hunch. (Not comparing the players or their style, just that I think he could be way better than a 3rd round quality).

Otherwise, I think it's wise as you get to lower rounds to take project guys. Why not take a flyer on the 6'5", 190 lb kid who hasn't grown into his body yet? Or the talented but small kid who maybe has a bit of a growth spurt? Go safe early and take chances late, IMO.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:16 PM
On Edge

Well...here goes my two cents:

I honestly have only seen a few highlights and read some scouting reports on Reinhart and the other draftees but I can only tell you my first reaction to the Reinhart pick was a big WHAT??? I thought for sure was going Forsberg and that if they really had Reinhart targeted, they could have traded down for him. Not saying that it was right but that was my IMMEDIATE thought. I guess Snowang thought he would not be available at 8 or 9 and he was their target right from the start. I was just surprised.

I get that this a crapshoot and we will not know for a while if this draft was a good one for the NYI or not...but really - not ONE forward was a BPA at some point in this draft for them??? I mean, I just have to laugh.

One of the least interesting drafts in a while I thought.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:26 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

One of the guys on NHL Network, I think Kelly Chase... is saying that the Isles offered most of their picks for Ryan Murray after Columbus selected him. Seriously?

I think Kelly needs to chill on the hyperbole, his point seemed to be how legit Murray was in his opinion. Makes us look bad as usual.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:09 AM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
I thought for sure was going Forsberg and that if they really had Reinhart targeted, they could have traded down for him.
Now what in the hell makes you think that? You do realize he was generally regarded as a top 5 pick right?

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:59 AM
gonnaneedsomewine

Garth Snow, genius at work.

Isles GF/G rankings over last few years:

2011-12: 28th
2010-11: 15th
2009-10: 21st
2008-09: 29th
2007-08: 30th
2006-07: 14th
2005-06: 26th

Have basically been in the bottom half of the league in GF/G for the past 7 years. Have been 20th or worse in 5 out of those 7 years. Aside from this past season where Moulson, Tavares, and Parenteau all scored over 60 points, the Islanders have been lucky to have one guy top the 60 point plateau.

This team has struggled to score for years, lacks elite offensive talent (even with the picks of Strome, Nino, Nelson), and is composed of underachieving draft picks (Bailey, Okposo, etc), and you spend all of your draft picks on defenseman? You don't take one forward? Brilliant.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:55 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnaneedsomewine View Post

Have basically been in the bottom half of the league in GF/G for the past 7 years. Have been 20th or worse in 5 out of those 7 years. Aside from this past season where Moulson, Tavares, and Parenteau all scored over 60 points, the Islanders have been lucky to have one guy top the 60 point plateau.

This team has struggled to score for years, lacks elite offensive talent (even with the picks of Strome, Nino, Nelson), and is composed of underachieving draft picks (Bailey, Okposo, etc), and you spend all of your draft picks on defenseman? You don't take one forward? Brilliant.
It's hard to score when you spend the bulk of your time in your own zone. The most telling stat to me last year was the Islanders lead the league in blocked shots. While that sounds nice I don't think the Islanders are any better then most other teams when it comes to guys sacrificing the body, it's just a case we spend to much time in situations that we have to block shots. The less time we spend in our own zone, means more time in the other teams zone which should benefit us on the score sheet

Also getting the puck out of the defensive zone will probably reduce another stat we always seem to be top of the league in, which is man injured games.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:03 AM
gonnaneedsomewine

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
It's hard to score when you spend the bulk of your time in your own zone. The most telling stat to me last year was the Islanders lead the league in blocked shots. While that sounds nice I don't think the Islanders are any better then most other teams when it comes to guys sacrificing the body, it's just a case we spend to much time in situations that we have to block shots.

Also getting the puck out of the defensive zone will probably reduce another stat we always seem to be top of the league in, which is man injured games.
I don't disagree that the Isles need a pretty massive overhaul on defense from last year. Guys like Eaton, Jurcina, Staios, etc are not going to get the job done at all.

I'm a HUGE Hamonic fan. I think the kid is going to be a star.
Hopefully Donovan and de Haan live up to the hype/expectations people have for them.

But I still don't understand how you draft a defenseman with every single one of your draft picks. What'd they end up with, 7 defenseman? It's just asinine, especially when it's not like we're loaded at forward.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:16 AM
boredmale

Quote:
But I still don't understand how you draft a defenseman with every single one of your draft picks. What'd they end up with, 7 defenseman? It's just asinine, especially when it's not like we're loaded at forward.
Most our top prospects before the draft were either forwards, smallish PMD or goalies. It seems like a good number of the picks used this year were for bigger defensive defensemen which I have no problem with.

Looking at this draft I think the Islanders made the right choice in rounds 1 and 3, the only problem I had with round 2 is I might have went for a different defensemen(Finn would be my choice with consideration for Thrower or Brystrom) which means we should have maybe picked 1 or 2 forwards from 4-7(which in all reality probably would end up bottom 6 players if lucky)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:21 AM
YashinWorksHard

Quote:

This. Exactly this.

Maybe next year he chooses seven forwards.

I cant understand this.

You've got Hamonic/Macdonald for the future. Add two veteran spots, Reinhart and one more spot, maybe two. And you have good prospects like De Haan (he will have to justify this pick, Hi Kulikov) Ness, Donovan (these guys maybe can compete in the NHL next year). Andrey Pedan (very very huge upside), Scott Mayfield (the same), Robbie Russo (at one point considered first round pick), Brenden Kitchton ... and now seven more prospects.

So.. maybe two, three spots, no more .. for .. maybe 10 very good prospects.

I do not want discuss if Pokka and the other guys are good or bad on the ice, but you always need BALANCE between Forwards and Defensemen.

YashinWorksHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:28 AM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Now what in the hell makes you think that? You do realize he was generally regarded as a top 5 pick right?
Did you read my post? I was stating my initial reaction to the pick. I don't think I'm alone in that. I hope he is a great pick. Maybe he will...maybe he won't.

I disagree that he was generally regarded as top 5 guy.

But based on at least 20 draft analysis stuff I read only one had him going as high as 4. Most had him 7-11 range. A few in mid teens. Most had Forsberg rated higher than him. Many had Dumba higher than him. That is why I was surprised. I think others here were also.

That's why the hell I thought that.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Riddick

im not pissed about any of the picks, but that 6'6" dude loic or whatever his name is better learn to fight. the vids ive seen of him in fights look like he gets his ass handed to him by people half a foot shorter.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
It's hard to score when you spend the bulk of your time in your own zone. The most telling stat to me last year was the Islanders lead the league in blocked shots. While that sounds nice I don't think the Islanders are any better then most other teams when it comes to guys sacrificing the body, it's just a case we spend to much time in situations that we have to block shots. The less time we spend in our own zone, means more time in the other teams zone which should benefit us on the score sheet

Its great analysis like this that makes me come back to HFB Isles again and again!!
Less time in our zone leads to more time in theirs, which hopefully leads to a few more PP chances (which we were 8th!) All of this leads to winning more games. I wish more people got this in their heads.
Quote:
You don't draft for what you need PERIOD. Plus its not like we are loaded at the defensive position either (I am using your logic) Trent Klatt even said on Isles TV that they didn't go into the draft wanting to draft nothing but big (for 17 and 18 year olds at least) hulking dmen.....but it ended up that way when they started to cross off guys that they wanted that got drafted before the Isles got to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
But based on at least 20 draft analysis stuff I read only one had him going as high as 4. Most had him 7-11 range. A few in mid teens. Most had Forsberg rated higher than him. Many had Dumba higher than him. That is why I was surprised. I think others here were also.

That's why the hell I thought that.
Hey any NHL team doesn't go on what the prognasticators have to say, because more often than not they are wrong! Hopefully Snow and Co. did their homework on all picks.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Konk

So... where's leaponover?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=148

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote