HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils select Damon Severson (D-Kelowna WHL) 60th Overall

Old
06-23-2012, 03:04 PM
IlyaGoalvalchuk17

vCash: 500
very pleased with this pick

IlyaGoalvalchuk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
This guy will be our best pick in the draft

Him and Merrill's playign styles are soo similar
There are similarities. Very smooth skating, some size, better offensively but with an improving defensive game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie View Post
Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils
Lamoriello on 2ned rounder Severson: “We had no choice but to take a D because he was the best player there. It was a no-brainer for us.”

Screw this, I'm trusting the scouting here. If they say he's good, I'll take their word. I've never heard of him, so I kind of have to.
Interesting. I guess that means he was the clear BPA for them, like standing alone at the top of their list.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:34 PM
FirmestPiano

“We had no choice but to take a defenseman because he was the best player there. Even though we felt that defense was something we didn’t have to do, we just had to take the best player," Lamoriello said. "He was that far up on the list with our western scouts and cross-over scouts that it was a no-brainer for us.”

Asked about comparisons to Shea Weber, the GM said: “You never know. Put it this way: He knows how to play the game. He’s going to fill out. He’s young, but you know about potential. Time will tell.”

Whole quote from Lou on Severson. They definitely seemed pretty high on him.

FirmestPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Conte's comments on Severson:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...sh_at_forward/

Quote:
On defenseman Damon Severson:
“We were very high of him for a long time. He had a little blip in the season and he didn’t play as well and I think part of it was because he wasn’t on a great team and they asked him to play too much and he had a little down period. Then, he bounced back and was fine representing Canada in the under-18 world championships and we liked him there.”

Old
06-24-2012, 05:07 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

I really like this pick. Snatching a big, mobile, right handed d-men with a booming shot is never a bad thing.

I'll be honest and say that I never heard of him before but going on scouting reports, we just added another solid piece to our young and promising blueline.

Now, let's just hope half of them actually turn out the way we want them to and we'll be in a very solid position down the road.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Devils1029

Didn't may much attention. I thought in the 1st, if one of the dmen dropped, we might consider a defenseman but thought that from round 2 on, we'd be looking for goal scoring and grit.

Drafted this kid and really like what I'm reading about him. We have some solid prospects and youth on D with Larsson, Fayne, Urbom, Gelinas, Merrill, Burlon, and now Severson. Like what this kid brings and looking at who was availabel at #60, I was thinking Shlepyshev (who didn't get drafted at all), Perhorkin, who went just after that to LA I think, and Zharvov who went later to Edmonton. But, other than Zharvov, this guy was the highest left ranked guy on McKenzie's list.

Very, very solid pick and I think Damon and Stephan both should make the NHL someday.

Devils1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Apparently many mock drafters had this guy going at the end of the first round, or the beginning of the second round. We got great value picking him at #60.

Old
06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

At first I didn`t realize he was still on board. I too expected him to go earlier. My first three words after I found out who we picked were "best player available".

This pick should make up for the Matteau pick. (I`m sure Jim sees it that way, at least).

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:24 PM
battlingBard56

Dude seems solid. Here's to hoping this pick ends up making other teams cringe for not taking him similar to how we cringed at not picking Weber when we had the chance, lol.

battlingBard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

He seems to be very well rounded in his game. Doesn't do anything particularly well, but he has no major weaknesses in his game either. I like that much more than a guy who is a major project because of huge flaws in his game.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Semak

vCash:
Friends call him "Doc", plays a mean horn and can count to '3'.

If he's another stud with top 4 potential, this team will be stacked and guys will need to be moved. The time of the "trade for NJ Dman" shall rise again! Josh DeWolf knows what I'm talking about.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I miss the days when we were a defenceman factory.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I miss the days when we were a defenceman factory.
Trying not to get too far ahead of myself here, but I think those days are making a return... even if a small one.

Greene & Fayne were undoubtedly the sturdiest defensive pairing throughout the post season, and those were the only 2 in the lineup developed by the Devils.

Larsson, while already showing signs of his true talents, is being mentored by none other than Larry Robinson.

And, while still unproven, it looks like the guys in Albany are showing a lot of promise.

Nothing definitive yet, but the future of New Jersey's defense looks pretty bright.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Semak

vCash:
Fayne's development is huge. When you take a 5th rounder and turn him or he turns out to be a solid NHL D, teams take notice. Everybody wants and need PMDs, and we all know the routes to get one, but if you get Burlon, Hegelson, Gedig, McPherson, Faust to turn into a mid to bottom Dmen, that's draft picks or other teams young forwards in possible trades right there.

Heck, if Larsson, Merrill and Gelinas pan out with good O skills and Severson and Scarlett do too, there goes your surplus of PMDs right there and a chance to trade for 2nd line talent.

Of course they have to all hit, but I'm liking the chances.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I really do like the depth in the defensive pool, and there is enough high end talent too.

Larsson
Merrill
Gelinas
Urbom
Burlon
Scarlett
Helgeson
Severson
Faust

All guys with legitimate chances of making it. Hopefully most pan out, and we can trade some for other needs.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:35 PM
JimEIV

The defense prospects look as good as they EVER have in New Jersey.

There will be a surplus as soon as this season. The future looks bright on the blue line.

One of the things I'm most excited about is seeing Merrill in the prospect camp this season.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Semak

vCash:
How did I forget Urbom! Out of all the guys, I really would like to see him make it NJ. Think he will be a fun guy to watch.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
battlingBard56

He's been fun to watch the couple times he's been called up... I can't wait to see what he fully develops into.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovyLove View Post
The defense prospects look as good as they EVER have in New Jersey.

There will be a surplus as soon as this season. The future looks bright on the blue line.

One of the things I'm most excited about is seeing Merrill in the prospect camp this season.
Hopefully they'll at least post video up again if they aren't going to open a sesh to the public

Merrill is the top guy in our system that hasn't seen the NHL yet

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:45 PM
frankiedue
IT'S OVER!!!

Was just doing research on him, found this video where he finished 3rd at the CHL prospects skills completion under the fastest skater category.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHHlChgCSD8

This bodes well for an offensive d-man who may get caught at times and needs to get back to break up a 2-on-1 or breakaway.

frankiedue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:41 PM
battlingBard56

Not sure if this was posted yet; an article by HF. Includes Severson among the top ten most highly rated WHL prospects.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...s-from-the-whl

Old
06-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovyLove View Post
Same here, I'm also very interested in how Wedgewood will do in prospects and training camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semak View Post
How did I forget Urbom! Out of all the guys, I really would like to see him make it NJ. Think he will be a fun guy to watch.
He's an interesting player. Probably better if he sticks to being a primarily defensive defencemen, but he pinches aggressively like an offensive defenceman. He will fit well in DeBoer's system.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Larsson
4th Line Boys

Damon definitely passes the name test. I like him already.

Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote