HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DRAFT: #58 - Jordan Martinook

Old
06-23-2012, 11:17 PM
RR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleYote View Post
Do you have this for our other draftees?
yep. i'll post it in the draft thread

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Sciamachy
Shadow Coyote

Interview with Martinook:

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/podcastp...=335&iid=39933

Sciamachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:45 PM
zLiMbiLLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post
First of all a VERY interesting and surprising draft pick.
Brooks Laich and Rick Nash as inspiration... and he seem to have alot of good talents, physics among size, skates and check.
I like this pick after all and welcoming him!

zLiMbiLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:21 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Will Phoenix have Jordan Martinook skip his overage year with the Giants? Sounds likely

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:42 PM
OOEEL

Quote:
NHL teams contemplating picking Jordan Martinook in this week-end's entry draft may want to try on a comment from his Vancouver Giants general manager for size.

"He's very good at scoring on the rush, much like Milan and Evander were able to," said Scott Bonner.
http://www.canada.com/sports/Ability...756/story.html

Good fluff piece on him. I was so frustrated when this pick went down considering who was on the board still(Read: Bozon), but I'm warming up to it more and more.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
http://www.canada.com/sports/Ability...756/story.html

Good fluff piece on him. I was so frustrated when this pick went down considering who was on the board still(Read: Bozon), but I'm warming up to it more and more.
I'm warming up to it too after all these articles and what not. But it's hard to get over the fact that he's 2 years removed from his draft year, and his WHL numbers weren't anything special until this year. We've tried drafting older players in the past because they had a big year and it didn't turn out so well (Tikhonov)...

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:01 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
I'm warming up to it too after all these articles and what not. But it's hard to get over the fact that he's 2 years removed from his draft year, and his WHL numbers weren't anything special until this year. We've tried drafting older players in the past because they had a big year and it didn't turn out so well (Tikhonov)...
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Coyotes have also had some success drafting overagers. They wouldn't have Yandle without it. There's also plenty of other solid overage draftees making an impact in the NHL, to say nothing of guys like Martin St. Louis who were never drafted at all.

Sometimes players just take a little longer to put things together.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:06 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He compares himself to Br ooks Laich. I can see that. Even statistically speaking. Laich broke into the WHL a year earlier but put up paltry Martinook first year numbers. This is why he was a late pick. Martinook wasn't given late pick consideration because not only were his numbers poor but he was a year behind. However, at the same age, Laich scored a whole heap of goals playing that big, speedy, go straight to the net power forward game. Just like Martinook. I like that he's beast, that he can really skate well, that he gets his nose dirty, and that he seems to relish going hard to the net. Even if his goal totals are bloated by his age, you don't need the best hands in the world to crash the net and cash in on the garbage.

Samuelsson, Martinook, and Chris Brown could eventually add some serious ELBEES to our forward group.

06-25-2012, 03:35 PM
OOEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I like that he's beast, that he can really skate well, that he gets his nose dirty, and that he seems to relish going hard to the net. Even if his goal totals are bloated by his age, you don't need the best hands in the world to crash the net and cash in on the garbage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh3el...ayer_embedded#!

Watch the goal he scores in this at :45 in. Talk about crashing the net, holy eff.

OOEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:46 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh3el...ayer_embedded#!

Watch the goal he scores in this at :45 in. Talk about crashing the net, holy eff.
The play he made on their first goal was almost as impressive. He's a bull. He's not the biggest guy (only 6' and 200 lbs. according to Central Scouting), but if he can play that game in the pros, I think he can be very effective. Laich seems like a solid comparison.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:20 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Just wanted to add that LA took an over ager with their 1st round pick.

I like how he's spot on with his own assessment of his playing style. It means he knows what it takes and how he needs to play to have success. Liking the pick more and more everyday. Look forward to watching him play this week at the prospect camp.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:26 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Coyotes have also had some success drafting overagers. They wouldn't have Yandle without it. There's also plenty of other solid overage draftees making an impact in the NHL, to say nothing of guys like Martin St. Louis who were never drafted at all.

Sometimes players just take a little longer to put things together.
My understanding is Keith Yandle chose not to apply for the 2004 draft, planning to attend college at New Hampshire. This was under the old CBA when 18 year olds could only be drafted if they pro-actively filed to be eligible for selection. At the time he was playing in high school and later decided to play major junior instead of going to college after the 2004 draft.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Shepard

I'm oddly optimistic about Martinook. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Asamu

I don't really understand this hyped over Tim Bozon. As a Habs fan, I believe he's a great pick but I don't see a free spot for him in 4-5 years in the Habs line-up.
Nevertheless, it will depend of his performances in a stronger and faster league as the AHL.

Also, I believe that Martinook is a goal scorer but as an overager, so many players were available instead of him. I'm sure that the scouts have their own reasons. Were Brendan Gallagher and him on the same trio? If so, it confirms that our 5th round draft pick in 2010 can actually pass with accuracy!

Last edited by Asamu: 06-26-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamu View Post
Were Brendan Gallagher and him on the same trio? If so, it confirms that our 5th round draft pick in 2010 can actually pass with accuracy!
Last season yes with Marek Tvrdon.

Martinook has always been a solid player even when he wasn't producing points. Great skater, hard worker, always hustling and willing to do the dirty work to benefit his team. He lacked confidence his first year in the WHL and it was rather obvious. That doesn't mean he wasn't effective. This past season there were a lot of the same qualities I previously mentioned with the added bonus of confidence. Shots he wouldn't score on his first year were now going in. And like a domino effect his offensive game just started to take off.

The only real complaint I have (and it's a minor one) with Martinook is I wish he were a little more mean. He does have good size and sometimes he doesn't use it as effectively as he could, IMO. That said, it isn't as though he shies away from physicality he just doesn't always force the issue.

Hordichuk_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:40 PM
ScottsdaleYote

How did he look at the prospect camp today? Anybody focus on him?

ScottsdaleYote is offline   Reply With Quote