HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft - 3rd Pick: Jujhar Khaira

Old
06-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Flow

vCash: 500
If he does in fact go to MTU, i could keep tabs on him because i watch every home game they have here and I was really looking forward to watching him play here.

Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:19 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Wait, were they supposed to respond between the time you wrote your first and second paragraphs, but before you hit "submit post"?
There was some confidence in the post... So... Anyone?

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Sounds like a good kid.

It'd be sick if the Oil Kings could get his rights. I'm not sure Everett is the best spot for a forward to development, if he ends up going the WHL route.
Yeah Everett looks like its going into a rebuild with Murray leaving. I'd say that JK would get a better opportunity at top minutes with Everett then he would with the Oil Kings, even with the Oilers watching over the OKs.

Im not sure about MTU as a development path.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:31 PM
smokersarejokers

I like him to to play in Everett too, just so I can see him play next year.

Stu was asked about convincing him to go to junior, and he said that he's going to leave it up to the player to decide. Stuff about "trusting your development path etc."

We'll see what happens.

Like another poster mentioned, it would be pretty cool if the Oil Kings traded for his rights and he went there.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:41 PM
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites

vCash: 50
If he does go to the WHL, I'm assuming he'll get more icetime in Everett right?

For a player like him, it might be better for his development if he gets to play more on a bad team rather than play less on a stacked team?

06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Looks like a good playmaker with size based on his youtube video. We definitely went for forward size this year, ironic that in a draft that was thought of as a great defense draft we only draft 2 D

06-23-2012, 02:49 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

edit: oops wrong thread

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:00 PM
s7ark
Fast and Up - JP

NCAA might be a better route to give him some more time. He'd be battling with a lot of CHL kids if he went that route. That being said, I do prefer the WHL to NCAA for development, but maybe that is just because of our history with bad Prendergast NCAA picks.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:21 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Looks like a good playmaker with size based on his youtube video. We definitely went for forward size this year, ironic that in a draft that was thought of as a great defense draft we only draft 2 D
The Oilers had no forward prospects left.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:02 PM
KingQuesnel

Finally, I have something to contribute.

Folks, I woke up at a ridiculous hour this morning (lol kids) to the news that my boy Jhujar had been grabbed by my team. What a way to start the day, the week, the year. I live in Prince George, and probably saw 12-15 games this year, and another 4-5 last year. Some of the most exciting hockey I saw this year live on tv or otherwise were these junior A games. This kid is legit, and there are many reasons why I believe so.

Jhujar came to Prince George in August 2010 after contacting the Spruce Kings management and asking if he could attend camp. He was not invited, he had not attended any of the open tryouts in town, but instead went the unconventional route of sending a letter and video to the Spruce Kings and asking if he could attend training camp. He walked on, made the team and by the mid-point of his 16 year old season he was one of the most consistent forwards on an extremely bad team. The fact that he had to ask his way onto a junior A team shows in his drive. He doesn't take a shift off, an incredible work ethic couple with intense drive.

This season the Spruce Kings improved their squad, adding talent that could play with Khaira, and the line he formed with Paul De Jersey and Michael Colantone was dominant to put it mildly. At the risk of turning this into a love letter, let me throw out some bullet points about the guy.

-Contrary to other posts, Khaira was 6'2" when he joined the Kings last year, so has no getting used to his frame to do. If he was to grow more it shouldn't be a concern as he has been tall for some time already.

-He was listed at 160 pounds to start last season, but from all reports he was really put time in with the weights, likely something he got into when he realized he had a legit shot at the big time. I think they are listing him at 185 now, so he still has some size to add.

-He can play all forward positions, mostly played a right wing slot as Colantone filled the role of playmaking centre.

-He has a great nose for the net. Khaira is more the willing to drive wide and crash the net, taking defensemen and goalies with him. He made life hell for many opposing defenders with his crashing relentless style.

-Khaira plays with an intense passion that only grows stronger if the team needs a big goal or needs to protect a lead. Often this led to him mixing it up in after whistle skirmishes, and on a few occasions he went ahead and dropped the gloves. He also used his above average skating to throw timely hits on the forecheck.

-Khaira was on the top penalty killing unit, and seemed at least adequate in this role. Prince George suffered with a less than mobile defense core that led to a mediocre penalty kill, but it is nice that he was gaining the experience.

-He operated on the sidewall on the powerplay, usually as the trigger man for De Jersey. This part of his game needs to improve, though he likely will develop into more of an in front of the net powerplay presence if his size fills out.

-From the local media, it seems that Khaira and his family place a high priority on getting a quality education. The meteoric rise up the draft rankings and his subsequent selection may have altered the family's plans, but my money would be on him suiting up at Michigan Tech next year.

-Thought I would share my thoughts as I was a little disapointed by all the negativity on here. Let's reserve judgement until we have seen him against tougher opponents, but I believe Oiler nation will be more then happy with the return.

KingQuesnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Thanks for the summary ^

I'm happy with this guy. He's big and he's apparently got good tools. Exactly what we need.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

thanks for the report. only took u 3 years for your first post.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:14 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingQuesnel View Post
Folks, I woke up at a ridiculous hour this morning (lol kids) to the news that my boy Jhujar had been grabbed by my team. What a way to start the day, the week, the year. I live in Prince George, and probably saw 12-15 games this year, and another 4-5 last year.

Thank you KingQuesnel! Great to hear the first hand info!!!

We are all still waiting for the vocal opponents of the selection to offer their counterpoint.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:49 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Quote:
Folks, I woke up at a ridiculous hour this morning (lol kids) to the news that my boy Jhujar had been grabbed by my team. What a way to start the day, the week, the year. I live in Prince George, and probably saw 12-15 games this year, and another 4-5 last year. Some of the most exciting hockey I saw this year live on tv or otherwise were these junior A games. This kid is legit, and there are many reasons why I believe so.

Jhujar came to Prince George in August 2010 after contacting the Spruce Kings management and asking if he could attend camp. He was not invited, he had not attended any of the open tryouts in town, but instead went the unconventional route of sending a letter and video to the Spruce Kings and asking if he could attend training camp. He walked on, made the team and by the mid-point of his 16 year old season he was one of the most consistent forwards on an extremely bad team. The fact that he had to ask his way onto a junior A team shows in his drive. He doesn't take a shift off, an incredible work ethic couple with intense drive.

This season the Spruce Kings improved their squad, adding talent that could play with Khaira, and the line he formed with Paul De Jersey and Michael Colantone was dominant to put it mildly. At the risk of turning this into a love letter, let me throw out some bullet points about the guy.

-Contrary to other posts, Khaira was 6'2" when he joined the Kings last year, so has no getting used to his frame to do. If he was to grow more it shouldn't be a concern as he has been tall for some time already.

-He was listed at 160 pounds to start last season, but from all reports he was really put time in with the weights, likely something he got into when he realized he had a legit shot at the big time. I think they are listing him at 185 now, so he still has some size to add.

-He can play all forward positions, mostly played a right wing slot as Colantone filled the role of playmaking centre.

-He has a great nose for the net. Khaira is more the willing to drive wide and crash the net, taking defensemen and goalies with him. He made life hell for many opposing defenders with his crashing relentless style.

-Khaira plays with an intense passion that only grows stronger if the team needs a big goal or needs to protect a lead. Often this led to him mixing it up in after whistle skirmishes, and on a few occasions he went ahead and dropped the gloves. He also used his above average skating to throw timely hits on the forecheck.

-Khaira was on the top penalty killing unit, and seemed at least adequate in this role. Prince George suffered with a less than mobile defense core that led to a mediocre penalty kill, but it is nice that he was gaining the experience.

-He operated on the sidewall on the powerplay, usually as the trigger man for De Jersey. This part of his game needs to improve, though he likely will develop into more of an in front of the net powerplay presence if his size fills out.

-From the local media, it seems that Khaira and his family place a high priority on getting a quality education. The meteoric rise up the draft rankings and his subsequent selection may have altered the family's plans, but my money would be on him suiting up at Michigan Tech next year.

-Thought I would share my thoughts as I was a little disapointed by all the negativity on here. Let's reserve judgement until we have seen him against tougher opponents, but I believe Oiler nation will be more then happy with the return.
Thank God somebody told these guys in this thread more about him, I thought I was the only poster on HFOil from PG lol....Jujhar had a ton of local media coverage all year (as well as De Jerzey, kinda wish we would have taken him too later in the draft)...unfortunately I didnt make it to any spruce Kings game this year, regretting it now, but its cool to see someone else from PG on here that has seen him play firsthand and give a good synopsis on him.

And even though i didnt see him play this year, i'll second your thought that Oiler fans will like what they see when he makes the team (which will probably take a few years, but we have time to let him develop anyways)...also cool that his fave player is Hall.

And he was asked in his interview how to pronounce his name, its pronounced Joo-Jar Kara.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Njoy Oilers

Thanks KQ. Incitefull post.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:54 PM
AK Dandyman

Sounds like Stu has found a gem here. Looking forward to see how Khaira develops!

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:53 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
If he does in fact go to MTU, i could keep tabs on him because i watch every home game they have here and I was really looking forward to watching him play here.
From what I gather, it seems like he will be going to MTU. Please do update us with his development! Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
LMAO! Pure awesome

Thanks for sharing your opinion KingQuesnel. I was completely thrown by our 2nd and 3rd picks but now I'm excited about JK. Hope he makes it to the NHL if that is what he wants.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Oilmageddon*

Seems lika good kid his happiness was genuine.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:42 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:

Thanks for the summary.

It is appreciated.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:49 AM
OilerDroid

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=560933

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerDroid View Post
Not that I'm complaining. I'm happy for Robin, Manny and Kevin. But how long do we have to wait to get some Navdeep's, Jatinder's and Arjan's in the NHL yo?
Jujhar, you sir are a trailblazer

OilerDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:09 AM
serum114

Quote:
Reminds me of the saying: "Do you have something to say, or do you have to say something?"

Thanks for having something to say KQ...

serum114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:40 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
Seems lika good kid his happiness was genuine.
And he comes from a hard working family so he has that drive instilled in him already. Here's to hoping that he becomes an Oiler in due time.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:24 AM
billybobjoe2112

vCash: 73
I also live in P.G. and am a season ticket holder for the Spruce Kings. He's got good hands and a good hockey sense but he definitely needs to work on his legs or he's gonna go nowhere.

billybobjoe2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:38 AM
KingQuesnel

Quote:
The rarely seen grizzled red neck from Prince George, lured from his cave atop a mountain by numerous Oilers fans shouting "who the bleep did we just draft?" We don't have moving picture cameras up in these parts, how's about I draw you boys a picture of him playing so you can get a better feel for his talents?

KingQuesnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:00 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Frei!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
I also live in P.G. and am a season ticket holder for the Spruce Kings. He's got good hands and a good hockey sense but he definitely needs to work on his legs or he's gonna go nowhere.
Is it foot speed/agility problems or just doesn't have much top end?

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote