HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2016, 02:17 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Off-season Discussion

I think its time for this.

People can blame Simmonds, Giroux, and Voracek but i don't think its that simple. They need a better supporting cast around them. This team needs more skilled forwards. Especially players that can play with Couts and maximize his offensive potential. Obviously the defense has to get better but what can we do? Its a waiting game at this point for the big 4 to arrive. Ghost is already in action.

Guys like Gagner, Read, VDV, and Cousins aren't options going forward. I really don't think Cousins has a high ceiling and he's too small to play a shutdown role on the 3rd line. He isn't skilled enough to be a scorer. I'd like to see him traded for some depth in terms of the bottom 6. White shouldn't be back. I feel like we could sign a guy like Matt Martin which would be a tremendous upgrade from him.

I'm on the fence about Laughton. I think he should be given another chance to prove himself. I know people liked Colin McDonald but lets be realistic here. He's a career AHLER. Bellemare is fine but he needs better players around him. Raffl i like but if this team had more depth he would be better suited as a great forward on the 3rd line that can jump up on a occasion in the top 6.

Does Schenn get resigned? He's a beast but he is more of a complementary forward like Simmonds. He doesn't really drive offense. He's a good trading chip but then again he's evolved his game this year. I think its going to be a hard decision for Hexy. There is a reason why he hasn't resigned.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:21 PM
Jack de la Hoya

I think Cousins played his way into a bottom six role, though I do wonder whether he can stick at center.

And of course Schenn should be signed...

Old
04-24-2016, 02:22 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
I'm probably in the minority by a lot here. But I would like Gagner back next year. Over Read. He brings skill to the lineup and wasn't a total liability out there. He showed chemistry with Couturier and I think we could use the skillset he brings to the lineup more than some of our depth guys. We need offensive talent and he definitely has it.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:23 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I think Cousins played his way into a bottom six role, though I do wonder whether he can stick at center.

And of course Schenn should be signed...
I just don't think he's strong enough to play at any position in the NHL. Especially center. He's tenacious at times but his size really limits his game. Of course smaller players can survive the lack of strength but his biggest problem is his skating ability. He improved it but its still only average. One thing i noticed is that our bottom six lost alot of puck battles. Mainly due to the lack of skill and size.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:25 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I'm probably in the minority by a lot here. But I would like Gagner back next year. Over Read. He brings skill to the lineup and wasn't a total liability out there. He showed chemistry with Couturier and I think we could use the skillset he brings to the lineup more than some of our depth guys. We need offensive talent and he definitely has it.
He has the raw talent but i just don't like how weak he is. In all zones he loses battles and he isn't a great skater. His hockey sense is average. That just isn't attractive to me.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:26 PM
SolidSnakeUS

PP going 1 for 24 isn't really a personnel problem as it is with Mullen failing really badly. Not changing anything up makes you very predictable when on the PP. There needs to be more bodies in front of the goalies for screen goals or garbage goals. Our 2nd unit also really needs a boost. With Provorov and Konecny probably coming in, they both could really help shape up the 2nd unit very well.

Lappy's PK system has been just awful all year. Almost no aggressiveness, and it feels like we don't actually learn or research team's PPs and just kind of zombie D it. It feels very passive and shows that we get scored on a lot. Plus, the personnel on the PK needs to be changed to people who can do it better. With next year, have Morin PK instead of Manning. Have Raffl and Leier (if he's up) PK instead of VDV and Read. Just thoughts, but all in all, it needs to be fixed.

As with Laughton, Alchemy, I think he needs more time on the LW and I think he can do better there for the team. I think Cousins as of right now though will be our main 3C with Laughton on the LW. Just add someone like Konecny to the RW and you could watch some good offensive shows with the kind of speed both him and Laughton can generate.

PEB I think is perfectly fine as a 4C, but yeah, he really needs better wingers. Something like Leier and Goulbourne could really help out that 4th line. Making it fast with a heavy hitting RWer.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:28 PM
Juicy Pop
Wayne Train Engineer

Trade one of Streit/Read and buyout RJ.

I'd prefer that they go looking for a veteran bottom-6 center and shift Cousins and Pebbles around as needed.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:30 PM
TheKingPin

What's our cap space and the ufa pool look like?

Old
04-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Jtown

cousins has no future in the nhl.

The bottom 6 is slow and not physical. WE need energy from those guys. I want to see goulbourne , leier given shots to hold down bottom 6 roles. those guys are fast and can pk

Old
04-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
PP going 1 for 24 isn't really a personnel problem as it is with Mullen failing really badly. Not changing anything up makes you very predictable when on the PP. There needs to be more bodies in front of the goalies for screen goals or garbage goals. Our 2nd unit also really needs a boost. With Provorov and Konecny probably coming in, they both could really help shape up the 2nd unit very well.

Lappy's PK system has been just awful all year. Almost no aggressiveness, and it feels like we don't actually learn or research team's PPs and just kind of zombie D it. It feels very passive and shows that we get scored on a lot. Plus, the personnel on the PK needs to be changed to people who can do it better. With next year, have Morin PK instead of Manning. Have Raffl and Leier (if he's up) PK instead of VDV and Read. Just thoughts, but all in all, it needs to be fixed.

As with Laughton, Alchemy, I think he needs more time on the LW and I think he can do better there for the team. I think Cousins as of right now though will be our main 3C with Laughton on the LW. Just add someone like Konecny to the RW and you could watch some good offensive shows with the kind of speed both him and Laughton can generate.

PEB I think is perfectly fine as a 4C, but yeah, he really needs better wingers. Something like Leier and Goulbourne could really help out that 4th line. Making it fast with a heavy hitting RWer.

My thing with Cousins is i feel we need to get bigger down the middle. Giroux is already undersized. PEB is average in that department and Cousins is very small. Couts is our only guy that has that size you want at the center position.

As far as the coaching, Lappy should be fired. I cannot believe it took him until game 3 of the series to change up the PK strategy. That shows inexperience and a lack of having a pulse for the team. Mullen we just need a new face to try different things. I'm on board with keeping Murray. Hakstol hopefully will go out this off-season and assemble his own staff.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:33 PM
flyersfromquebec

sign Schenn , I'm ok with the idea of keeping Gagner cheap, but please buy out Umberger, get rid of Read, MacDonald, Streit. Also I think White is decent on the 4th line.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:34 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
What's our cap space and the ufa pool look like?
I'm not sure how much we have. You have to figure in the Voracek and other extensions.

Here's the FA pool.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/free_agents

Old
04-24-2016, 02:35 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

I don't think Cousins is a 3C, I don't mind him at 4C, but I think he's better suited for the 4th line...as is Laughton for now.

I'd like to see Streit & Read moved. Gagner, Medvedev, White, and Manning can take a hike.

This is the template I usually start with on capfriendly...

Voracek - Giroux - Simmonds
XXXXX - Couturier - Schenn
Raffl - XXXXX - Konecny/Read
Laughton - Cousins - Bellemare
Vandevelde

Del Zotto - Gostisbehere
Provorov - Gudas
Schultz - MacDonald
Alt

Mason
Neuvirth

Old
04-24-2016, 02:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Actually, if he comes back, I could see Lindblom possibly making it out of camp as well, making our bottom 6 that much better. He looked really good in the AHL and seems to like the rink size and being strong on his skates definitely helps.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:37 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I want Raffl at centre. He was fantastic this series. Not sure what that means for Cousins, but at least Laughton looked somewhat comfortable on the wing.

I don't want to see many changes up front, but I'd like to see VdV gone. Early wishes for lines:

XXXX - Giroux - Voracek
XXXX - Couturier - Simmonds
Laughton - Raffl - Read**
Bellemare - YYYY - White

XXXX being Schenn and Konecny (if he's ready) or an FA signing.

YYYY being a righthanded, defensively strong, faceoff winning centre. Brodziak?

** I have hope that Read could turn it around, but not much.

I do want to see some of these defensemen gone. Sounds like Provorov has a spot if he doesn't look overwhelmed, so hopefully:

MDZ - Gudas
MacDonald - Ghost
Provorov - Streit

That's what the Flyers could start with. Schultz could be the 7th guy, unless they bury MacDonald again and re-sign Manning.

I'd like to see them move Streit at some point so they could bring Morin up for some experience. Hopefully Streit has some good recoup time in the off-season to help get past that crazy sugery.

Goalies are fine.

Happy with Hakstol's first year. Not happy with the PK, but I think the PP will sort itself out when everyone's healthy.

Not too much to fix. Just need to get some young guys some more experience.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 04-24-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old
04-24-2016, 02:38 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
I don't think Cousins is a 3C, I don't mind him at 4C, but I think he's better suited for the 4th line...as is Laughton for now.

I'd like to see Streit & Read moved. Gagner, Medvedev, White, and Manning can take a hike.

This is the template I usually start with on capfriendly...

Voracek - Giroux - Simmonds
XXXXX - Couturier - Schenn
Raffl - XXXXX - Konecny/Read
Laughton - Cousins - Bellemare
Vandevelde

Del Zotto - Gostisbehere
Provorov - Gudas
Schultz - MacDonald
Alt

Mason
Neuvirth
Why Alt? He hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the AHL, and you think he still has a chance to develop, you don't want him sitting in the press box.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:41 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Why Alt? He hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the AHL, and you think he still has a chance to develop, you don't want him sitting in the press box.
I actually thought he played alright at times, though I can see an argument for him not being worthy of being the 7th Dman.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:41 PM
usahockey22flyers
Daje Roma!

From a pure talent perspective I believe MacDonald has a place in the NHL. I think Gagner will walk but I wouldn't mind him back at a low cap hit.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

I think some of the biggest takeaways from this season are Schenn being a beast, Ghost being amazing, Gudas being far better than expected, Couts showing more offense, and MDZ being stronger defensively. Good signs for the future.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Juicy Pop
Wayne Train Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
From a pure talent perspective I believe MacDonald has a place in the NHL. I think Gagner will walk but I wouldn't mind him back at a low cap hit.
Yeah, I think a guy like Gagner might look at the talent in the pipe and see that he probably doesn't have a future with this team, even if he plays well.

It's probably best to seek a long term home at this point in his career.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Coppy

Unless Hexy can find ways to get Read/Streit/Umberger off the books, I don't think they'll have a ton of cash to work with. Gagners & Medvedev's $7 mill is gone, but Voracek & Couturier get a significant bump in pay & Schenn still needs a new contract.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:46 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds
Voracek - Couturier - Konecny
Laughton - Raffl - Read/Gagner
Bellemare - XXXX - White
Cousins

XXXX = a new 4th Line C, Blair Betts type. Faceoff's, defensively responsible and PKs.

Del Zotto - Gudas
Schultz - Gostisbehere
Provorov - Streit
MacDonald

Mason
Neuvirth

Old
04-24-2016, 02:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Good thing is Cousins probably did enough to be flipped for a pick but I don't think he's a long term NHLer.

Laughton while I don't care if he's packaged in a deal I'm fine with him coming back too. He at least has the wheels & talent it's just a matter of whether or not he'll be able to put it to use.

Old
04-24-2016, 02:51 PM
whitstifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds
Voracek - Couturier - Konecny
Laughton - Raffl - Read/Gagner
Bellemare - XXXX - White
Cousins

XXXX = a new 4th Line C, Blair Betts type. Faceoff's, defensively responsible and PKs.

Del Zotto - Gudas
Schultz - Gostisbehere
Provorov - Streit
MacDonald

Mason
Neuvirth
You'd re-sign White and Gagner?

Old
04-24-2016, 02:51 PM
Tripod

I think Manning is re-signed and he and Alt fight it out for the #7 spot and the loser hopefully gets thru waivers down to LV.

Reality is, we need another top 6 player which pushes Raffl to the 3rd line. Go after a REAL #3 C since Laughton does not appear to be heading in that direction.

Closed Thread