HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Hakstol

Old
11-17-2016, 03:02 PM
flyersjim73

vCash: 500
Fire Hakstol

Look, I like the guy's system and his demeanor is respectable... but his lineup decisions are mind boggling. This is capped off, of course by the ghost scratch but this has been a long time coming. The insistence on playing a player only because he played for him in college. Sitting players who have played well and clearly deserve to play (lyubimov). Scratching raffl for no particular reason. I realize that I, nor anyone else here, is with the team day in and day out... but I believe we have reached the point that these choices have become indefensible.

This is not just the scratches but putting some of their worst players on the ice with less than a minute in the game in a tight game, playing players out of position (cousins on the wing), and just generally not putting the team in a good position to win. This team has the talent to easily be in the playoffs if not win a round or so.

I absolutely believe there are better alternatives to him out there that can make an immediate difference.

flyersjim73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 03:06 PM
SportsPhan8

I actually love the Ghost scratch. It makes him appreciate being in the lineup, and he's, what, a -4 this year. He needed a quick break to rejuvenate him. As for Hakstol, making the transition from college hockey to the NHL, with no prior coaching experience is a tough transition. I think we should be more patient and give him more time. One year and 15-20 odd games isn't enough IMO.

To me, he's certainly better than a lot of the coaches we had in the '90s that only lasted a year or two.

SportsPhan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 03:08 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Gotta fire the GM first. They are thick as thieves.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 03:09 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
Claude Giroux is a *GASP* -9. Better scratch him twice as long as Ghost, at least.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 03:10 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 143
As long as it's only one game. I don't have a problem with a coach sending a message that a young player needs to be held accountable. You and I and everyone else has no idea what the benching is about or what he is being held accountable for.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 03:11 PM
flyersjim73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Gotta fire the GM first. They are thick as thieves.
Curious where you're getting this from curufinwe. I've seen hexy support his coach as he should do, but I haven't seen anything indicating that he's married to him...

Old
11-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

Why doesn't older player need to be held accountable?

Old
11-17-2016, 03:13 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 143
Something something can't teach an old dog new tricks.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjim73 View Post
Curious where you're getting this from curufinwe. I've seen hexy support his coach as he should do, but I haven't seen anything indicating that he's married to him...
He went out and got him from college, gave him a five year contract, and has never said anything against him publicly that I'm aware of. It's not like when he inherited Berube from Holmgren.

Until Hextall starts dropping the "this team is too good to miss the playoffs" stuff like he did with Berube, I think it's fair to say he's committed to the first head coach he hired.

Old
11-17-2016, 03:31 PM
flyersjim73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
He went out and got him from college, gave him a five year contract, and has never said anything against him publicly that I'm aware of. It's not like when he inherited Berube from Holmgren.

Until Hextall starts dropping the "this team is too good to miss the playoffs" stuff like he did with Berube, I think it's fair to say he's committed to the first head coach he hired.
All this is correct and he undoubtedly committed to him. Having said that, I haven't seen anything that indicates that they're "thick as thieves." My hunch is he'll stick with him through some tough times but he also won't go down with him if he sees the team underachieving. I could be wrong though...

FYI the fact that I'm advocating him being fired doesn't mean I actually think Hexy will do it.

Old
11-17-2016, 03:33 PM
RebelBully

Sign me up. He's in over his head.

RebelBully is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Ghosts Beer

I strongly disagree with scratching Ghost, but firing Hakstol is an overreaction.

Ghosts Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 03:39 PM
flyersjim73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosts Beer View Post
I strongly disagree with scratching Ghost, but firing Hakstol is an overreaction.
Perhaps, but to be clear, this was the final straw for me, not a reaction to this isolated incident.

Old
11-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Dakota402

Hextall needs to sit him down and show him how to properly use his personnel. It's absurd that a professional coach needs to be taught how to use players, but he's absolutely clueless making line ups and just general in game player usage. Hak has a great even strength system and the team shows good effort almost every night under him. But he can't keep costing us games playing mediocre players over talented players, especially in key situations where it's obvious other players should be out there. I wanted to punch my self in the face watching bellemare trot out during OT tuesday for 2 shifts when konecny can't even get a shift. I think you give him the rest of this year to figure it out. If he's still making these decisions come the end of the season, maybe you look into making a change during the offseason. I highly doubt they'd consider doing anything mid season though.

Dakota402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 03:46 PM
sa cyred
Trying to Chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsPhan8 View Post
I actually love the Ghost scratch. It makes him appreciate being in the lineup, and he's, what, a -4 this year. He needed a quick break to rejuvenate him. As for Hakstol, making the transition from college hockey to the NHL, with no prior coaching experience is a tough transition. I think we should be more patient and give him more time. One year and 15-20 odd games isn't enough IMO.

To me, he's certainly better than a lot of the coaches we had in the '90s that only lasted a year or two.
Eh, the plus/minus thing isnt the best to use. Most of the team is a -.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 03:50 PM
Striiker
I hate zebras

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsPhan8 View Post

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 03:57 PM
chupanibre
The GhostBear Cometh

Nah Hakstol is still fine, lets see how the season plays out

chupanibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Ghosts Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjim73 View Post
Perhaps, but to be clear, this was the final straw for me, not a reaction to this isolated incident.
I don't understand or defend everything Hakstol does. For example, I hate his minimal use of Konecny 3 on 3, and I disagree with scratching Raffl and Ghost. But be careful what you wish for. Every coach gives too much deference to veterans and penalty killers. Overall, I still think Hakstol does a pretty good job and I'm not ready to kick him to the curb a month into his second season, after he was at the helm of a surprise playoff appearance his first year.

Ghosts Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 04:38 PM
deadhead

You don't think Hakstol and Hextall don't talk on a regular basis?

You don't think Hakstol explains his personnel decisions to Hextall, they're in this rebuild together, and I'm sure many decisions are a balance between winning now and developing young players (but not putting them into situations where they could fail and lose confidence).

Problem with fans is you don't know what's going on behind the scenes, how often do you find out something a year later that would have made you look differently at personnel decisions?

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 04:42 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

You think Ghost's confidence will improve by getting scratched for Andrew ****ing MacDonald?

Old
11-17-2016, 04:43 PM
MickeyMelchiondo

he should be fired AND lose his job!

rabble!

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead View Post
You don't think Hakstol and Hextall don't talk on a regular basis?

You don't think Hakstol explains his personnel decisions to Hextall, they're in this rebuild together, and I'm sure many decisions are a balance between winning now and developing young players (but not putting them into situations where they could fail and lose confidence).

Problem with fans is you don't know what's going on behind the scenes, how often do you find out something a year later that would have made you look differently at personnel decisions?
That's a fair point, and plenty of us would now admit that Hakstol was on to something we didn't see with Manning when he was very poor for most of last season.

But there's nothing we're missing with VandeVelde. He's not an everyday NHL player and he's not getting any better at age 29.

Old
11-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Umphreys Mcgee

100% support this thread. It's clear they made the playoffs in spite of the coach last year and this year they cant overcome his constanf dumbass line up decisions. Give him the axe.

Umphreys Mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2016, 04:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

I'm not sure he should be fired, but he should at least be desiccated.

11-17-2016, 04:55 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
He is a good coach and will stay. I don't understand the Ghost scratching though.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote