HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D Yevgeni Medvedev signed [Reported 1yr, $3mil] May 2015

Old
05-20-2015, 10:09 AM
FeedDaPuck

vCash: 500
D Yevgeni Medvedev signed [Reported 1yr, $3mil] May 2015

Mod Edit:

Confirmed now.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

-------------------------

Quote:
When Ron Hextall said he was looking to upgrade his defense for next season, he didn’t mean by solely promoting one of his coveted prospects currently in the minors or juniors.

On Wednesday, their already crowded blue line expanded again with the signing of 32-year-old Yevgeni Medvedev from Chelyabinsk, Russia to a one-year deal reportedly worth $3 million.

“We want to get better today,” said Hextall, the Flyers’ general manager. “We look at this as a guy, hopefully moving into the top of our D, not necessarily the one or two-hole. The kids are not going to come in and necessarily be a clutch piece if they come in.

“He upgrades our defense. Good size, skates well, moves the puck well. He’s a real solid two-way defenseman who can play either side of the ice.”

Hextall admitted he had his eyes on Medvedev when he was an assistant GM with the LA Kings and that Paul Holmgren had been following him with the Flyers for several years, as well.
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...vgeni-medvedev
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flyers agreed to a contract with Ak Bars (KHL) defenseman A. Medvedev (2 yrs - $6,5 in total). The agreement was in place PRIOR to the Worlds (where he participated). Today he and Ak Bars voided his contract. (It is a rumor – only because I can't site my sources. But those of you who know me – I am always correct . Now, in other news (and that's on a 70/30 scale - Zaytsev Nikita (CSKA) is coming to camp this year, allegedly. I don't think he would without a contract in place). Of the two – I am probably more excited about Zaytsev, if true. Young, smart d-man.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-15-2016 at 07:15 PM.
FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 10:12 AM
LegionOfDoom91

That's a nice chunk of coin for a Euro coming over without an NHL background.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16728

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 10:14 AM
FeedDaPuck

UPD: Saw Bill Melzer article on Zaycev. Again, my sources say (without confirmation) that he is coming to Philly. That was before he got injured prior to the Worlds

Old
05-20-2015, 10:15 AM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That's a nice chunk of coin for a Euro coming over without an NHL background.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16728
That was my take on it too. I don't think he is that "mobile". But may be a smaller ice surface will showcase him better. 3–3,5 mill a year – sounds about right – he was in the neighborhood of 3 a year in Ak Bars. Doubt that he would take a pay cut.

Old
05-20-2015, 10:19 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
That was my take on it too. I don't think he is that "mobile". But may be a smaller ice surface will showcase him better. 3–3,5 mill a year – sounds about right – he was in the neighborhood of 3 a year in Ak Bars. Doubt that he would take a pay cut.
If they land Medvedev & Zaitsev (I'd imagine he's getting an NHL contract but he'll be limited due to his age) I think that means that's the end of Del Zotto.

Old
05-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Hiesenberg

I think we may have more d-men signed than forwards.

What is going on?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 10:22 AM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
If they land him & Zaitsev (I'd imagine he's getting an NHL contract but he'll be limited due to his age) I think that means that's the end of Del Zotto. He might be flipped for something at the draft.
Either way, I think Zaycev is an upgrade at D. They liked him his draft year, and I was VERY surprised that they did not spend a draft pick on him in the later rounds (They had him pegged as a 3rd rounder). Medvedev – I don't know, whether he will be an upgrade, but he seems to be liked by his coaches. I don't personally like his style (in the KHL).

Old
05-20-2015, 10:24 AM
Les Averman

Honestly there's a lot of information going into a small bit of space, so I want to ensure that I understand what is being said.

So, based on your sources, the Flyers have:
A. Agreed to terms with Yevgeni Medvedev at approximately 2 years, 6.5 million
B. Potentially agreed to a deal with Nikita Zaitsev because he is planning on coming to camp

I've only been around the forums for a couple of months so I don't know about your credibility but that'd be great if true

Les Averman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 10:32 AM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Averman View Post
Honestly there's a lot of information going into a small bit of space, so I want to ensure that I understand what is being said.

B. Potentially agreed to a deal with Nikita Zaitsev because he is planning on coming to camp

I've only been around the forums for a couple of months so I don't know about your credibility but that'd be great if true
Yeah I am on board with this. This would hopefully mean that 2-3 defensemen from last years team are moved this offseason. It wouldn't make the defense that much better for this season but at least there is something to look forward to in the future.

Streit-Schultz
Del Zotto-Medvedev
Zaitsev-Morin
Gudas
Won't pretend that I know anything about Medvedev but if he is getting 6.5 million, I would expect him to play. That would be with MacDonald, Schenn, and Grossmann moved.

Also, if Hextall does bring in Zaitsev, you have to think it's more likely that he takes a forward at #7.

Last edited by duffy9748: 05-20-2015 at 10:47 AM.
duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I think we may have more d-men signed than forwards.

What is going on?
I guess there is going to be a ton of turnover. Besides Schultz and maybe Gudas, I don't think anyone else is safe. MacDonald probably since no one wants that contract.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
I know it's not the same guy but the last time someone had a scoop on here before all the media did (Kimmo to Chicago) it was right, so I'll believe this one, too.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 10:38 AM
LetsGoFlyers1825

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 10:38 AM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Averman View Post

That is correct. My credibility has been questioned before, but what I report always checks out as true. But take it as you may like. Lol

Old
05-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Fragmuffin

I sure hope we aren't giving Medvedev 3mil+ a year. I really get to watch him often in the KHL and international tournaments and honestly I don't see how he would amount to something more then a bottom pair D man in the NHL. Paying those type of guys more than 1.5 mil is something i was hoping the flyers were done with.

I'd much rather we signed Daloga who AK Bars got to replace Medvedev.

Fragmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Fulton44*

Not questioning the OP's information, just thinking out loud. How the hell are they going to have spots for Medvedev and Zaitsev?

Fulton44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 10:53 AM
chupanibre
The GhostBear Cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
Flyers agreed to a contract with Ak Bars (KHL) defenseman A. Medvedev (2 yrs - $6,5 in total).
Pricey!! Is he worth it?

We do need to sign a whole new D essentially, but it would be a shame to get rid of MDZ. His style of play sounds ideal for Haks coaching style (at least from what I've heard). He also did well last season, I would like to think he earned himself a new contract.

chupanibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 10:54 AM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmuffin View Post
I sure hope we aren't giving Medvedev 3mil+ a year. I really get to watch him often in the KHL and international tournaments and honestly I don't see how he would amount to something more then a bottom pair D man in the NHL. Paying those type of guys more than 1.5 mil is something i was hoping the flyers were done with.

I'd much rather we signed Daloga who AK Bars got to replace Medvedev.
I totally agree with you. But that is the information that I got.

Old
05-20-2015, 10:57 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averman4 View Post
Not questioning the OP's information, just thinking out loud. How the hell are they going to have spots for Medvedev and Zaitsev?
Trades. As of right now they have 7 defensemen signed for next year (Streit, Schultz, MacDonald, Grossmann, Schenn, Gudas, & Manning) but Manning's not really a factor.

Old
05-20-2015, 11:00 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

If they are paying him that much, it seems they see him as a 4/5.

People on twitter who said they watches him play say that on the smaller ice his skating ability with his defensive play will really work. He sounds like someone that Hak would love

Edit: to confirm the twitter people were two russian retweets so inno if creditable.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Fulton44*

Quote:
Trades. As of right now they have 7 defensemen signed for next year (Streit, Schultz, MacDonald, Grossmann, Schenn, Gudas, & Manning) but Manning's not really a factor.
Well they'd have to trade two players AND not keep any spots open to win in camp between Sanheim, Morin, Ghost, Hagg (barring injury). It could be done but it would take some serious work on Hextall's part.

Fulton44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 11:03 AM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
The lack of free agents this off season could actually make guys like GrossMann, Schenn, and even MacDonald more attractive. Teams that can't usually attract free agents may want someone with term on their contract. Hopefully.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 11:08 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averman4 View Post
Well they'd have to trade two players AND not keep any spots open to win in camp between Sanheim, Morin, Ghost, Hagg (barring injury). It could be done but it would take some serious work on Hextall's part.
He's consistently said he won't be doing that anyway. Zaitsev might not be guaranteed anything either.

Old
05-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Can anyone who's been around here longer than me vouch for this guys credibility?

No offense to you, I've just never seen you before so I'm not going to just believe what you say with no hesitation. I'm also not saying that I think you're wrong, I'm in between and don't know what to think.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Les Averman

I don't know much about Medvedev at all, but if we move the contracts of Grossman, Schenn, and hopefully AMac, I wouldn't mind paying that much if he's a reliable defenseman. Zaitsev would be a huge addition, especially given that he plays the right side. I do believe that we would still try to bring back MDZ.

If we can find a team to take on AMac that needs a contract to reach the cap floor, that'd be great. Trade Schenn, Grossman and keep Gudas/Manning as a 7, while getting rid of the other.
I think with the new coach, Ghost has a good chance of starting the season up with the big club. He gets paired with a veteran with some size in Medvedev. Morin will start in the AHL to get some more experience and play against some higher level talent. Sanheim stays in juniors. We spend our first pick on a forward - our second on either another forward or a mobile defenseman like Carlo. I'd be very excited with that

Streit -- Schultz
Del Zotto -- Zaitsev
Medvedev -- Ghost

Les Averman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2015, 11:13 AM
chupanibre
The GhostBear Cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Can anyone who's been around here longer than me vouch for this guys credibility?

No offense to you, I've just never seen you before so I'm not going to just believe what you say with no hesitation. I'm also not saying that I think you're wrong, I'm in between and don't know what to think.
Looks like he was right about Zherdev in 2010

chupanibre is offline   Reply With Quote