HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Cody Hodgson value

Old
07-17-2014, 01:28 PM
jvirk

vCash: 500
Cody Hodgson value

I'm not saying that we ARE going to trade him. All this stuff about Ennis and Hodgson is pure speculation by us as fans, and it's fun to try and think what our team will look like in a few years. With that being said, what do you think Hodgson could get us in a return either this year at the trade deadline OR next offseason (before/at the 15' draft). I'm just trying to see what his value is right now and IFFFFF Tim Murray were to trade him, what the return could probably get us.

Any/all proposals are fine, you can even add a pick or player to the Hodgson side to acquire a more high end player/prospect from a different team. I'm Interested in your guys' thoughts!

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 01:38 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I would want a young top 4 defenseman in return. If I were trading with ourselves, I would ask for Pysyk + a smaller piece or NHL filler cap dump. So think along those lines, IMO.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 01:41 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Hodgson+ for a 1W and I'd be happy

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Bps21

His value is Zack Kassian

Bps21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 01:48 PM
ZeroPT
Tanky as ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I would want a young top 4 defenseman in return. If I were trading with ourselves, I would ask for Pysyk + a smaller piece or NHL filler cap dump. So think along those lines, IMO.
this or in a package for a top line scorer

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Imlach a cup

I think his defensive lapses are well known, he either returns a similarly flawed/reclamation project type player, a 3/4 defender that a team doesn't plan on resigning, or a b type prospect and a pick. Higher returns from a team desperate for center help.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 01:53 PM
jvirk

These are all good proposals so far, I like them all. I was thinking in terms of getting a top line winger, therefore we'd probably be adding to Hodgson.

Hodgson + 2015 1st round pick (St. Louis Blues pick - mid 20s?) OR 2015 2nd round pick (Buffalo's 2nd rounder)

for

(Insert top line winger here)

Old
07-17-2014, 02:00 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post
These are all good proposals so far, I like them all. I was thinking in terms of getting a top line winger, therefore we'd probably be adding to Hodgson.

Hodgson + 2015 1st round pick (St. Louis Blues pick - mid 20s?) OR 2015 2nd round pick (Buffalo's 2nd rounder)

for

(Insert top line winger here)
Patrick Sharp, c'mon dooown.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 02:29 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Shea Theodore crossed my mind as a target

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Patrick Sharp, c'mon dooown.

Horrible.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 04:35 PM
BloFan4Life

In 2-3 years, you will absolutely need players in the 27-28 range that are scorers. You trade NEITHER Ennis or Hodgson. You grow your team around them.

Sick of these stupid proposals with these two players.

The guy was a ppg player at the world championship.

You people also realize Murray is looking to get rid of picks and prospects for players like Hodgson.

And lol at the person that would trade Hodgson for a top 4 d man You are probably the same person that wants Myers traded for a top 6 24 year old forward. Here's a thought, do nothing and grow the players you have.

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 04:40 PM
ZeroPT
Tanky as ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
In 2-3 years, you will absolutely need players in the 27-28 range that are scorers. You trade NEITHER Ennis or Hodgson. You grow your team around them.

You people also realize Murray is looking to get rid of picks and prospects for players like Hodgson.

And lol at the person that would trade Hodgson for a top 4 d man You are probably the same person that wants Myers traded for a top 6 24 year old forward. Here's a thought, do nothing and grow the players you have.
this doesn't matter

Old
07-17-2014, 04:42 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
this doesn't matter
Why not?!?!

Also had 34 points in 44 games in lock out season.

Using his stats from last year on this Sabres team is not an indication of his talent.

Old
07-17-2014, 04:45 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
It doesn't matter because of sample size, otherwise MA Gragnani is an all-time playoff talent

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Bps21

I wouldn't use his stats at all. I'd use his being a turn style when defending.

Bps21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 04:49 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps21 View Post
I wouldn't use his stats at all. I'd use his being a turn style when defending.
Many pure scorers are. As a coach, it is your job to game plan around your players talents.

Old
07-17-2014, 04:54 PM
ZeroPT
Tanky as ****

Quote:
Why not?!?!

Also had 34 points in 44 games in lock out season.

Using his stats from last year on this Sabres team is not an indication of his talent.
because!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, type normally. Sample size, as the other poster said is a huge reason why.

Old
07-17-2014, 05:00 PM
jvirk

Quote:

I never said Buffalo WILL trade one of these 2, specifically Hodgson...I just said IF Buffalo does trade Hodgson, what would his value be.
You're not understanding the point. Hodgson is a good player, I'm just simply asking if he gets moved what would a possible return be. Or if he's a part of a package deal, what could the Sabres get.

Yes you need goal scoring wingers. I just think that there could be options out there for TM to improve the team by dealing someone like Hodgson for BETTER wingers...people who are good in the regular season and playoffs. Someone that might fit the mold of this team better than he MAY.

If you want my personal opinion - I personally believe Hodgson is not the type of player that does well in the playoffs, but he'll be "good" in the regular season. He's not physical, doesn't battle hard in the dirty areas, he's horrible defensively; I honestly think even if he's got less defensive responsibilities on the wing that he's still pretty bad there. That's MY opinion on Hodgson, I see him as a good player, esp. regular season time, but not playoffs. I think you really overvalued him with some of the stats you displayed.

And btw they're not stupid proposals, it's just a discussion. This is a hockey forum with full of us fans just discussing things.

Old
07-17-2014, 07:42 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:

Ok, now, Hodgson is still of an age where he has SOME upside left. I think, given the opportunity, Hodgson is a 60 point 2nd line C or LW. I think the same can be said about Ennis. His upside is in that 60 point range. The problem is, these players are nice to have....but not the kind of players you build around. This was the EXACT flawed problem of the 2007-2008 till 2012-2013 Sabres had. Lots of good secondary players. No building blocks. Hodsgon and Ennis are good players, not great players.

Look long term, we have Moulson signed 5 years with a NTC. We have Ennis signed for 5 more years. And we have Hodgson signed for 5 more years. This year? No real issue. Assuming Reinhart makes the team, you have one of Ennis/Hogson play C, the other play wing.

What happens when Grigerenko is ready to play in the NHL? What happens if Foligno is ready for top 6 minutes? What about Larsson, Carrier, Compher, or Lemiuex? What if we draft Eichel or McDavid next year?

I like Hodgson, I do. But, the reality of it is that while's he's good, he's not great. And trying to build a team around Ennis and Hodgson would be akin to trying to build a team around Roy and Connolly, a huge mistake. Both good players in their times, but not franchise building blocks. I could see one of them Hodgson/Ennis survive the rebuild, but not both. Which is why people are making threads about Hodgson's value. He's not getting traded this offseason I think, but he's far from untouchable.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 08:10 PM
ozpensfan

I like Coho - sure hes not the best defensively but he seemed better on wing and letting someone else handle the defensive resposibilites. However if there was a way to get Evander Kane out of Winnipeg id be willing to throw Hodgsons name out there.

ozpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Leelee Phoenix

vCash: 62
I think you can build around Hodgson/Ennis. But, it needs to be recognized that they're not 1st line guys, or at best a tertiary option on a 1st line. Roy was a fine player, but the fault was he was our top C for years.

This is where tanking helps, because it's the best way to get those 1st line wingers.

Leelee Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 08:37 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

If Buffalo didn't have the bleakest defensive center situation in the league, Hodgson's GA/60 would be like 2.75 and pseudo-statisticians wouldn't be posting terrible articles about him on WGR.

And his move to wing hasn't been that dramatic. He's still a center in the offensive zone because when is Girgensons not gonna be forechecking?

I'm actually pretty excited to see Hodgson playing with a talent mix on his wings that offsets his weaknesses for a change. After Vanek, Girgensons was the only other player capable of creating his own offense Cody got a chance to skate with regularly and almost everybody ticked one of the "slow" "bad defensively" or "possession black hole" boxes to boot. Ott was the worst possession player on the team, and Moulson is pretty average at everything but creating around the net. Gionta provides mobility and capable wing defense that hasn't been there since Pominville, and the big homie Zemgus is another year stronger. Really, if Hodgson/Zemgus become a competent offensive duo, a lot of wingers make interesting third options.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 08:51 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leelee Phoenix View Post
I think you can build around Hodgson/Ennis. But, it needs to be recognized that they're not 1st line guys, or at best a tertiary option on a 1st line. Roy was a fine player, but the fault was he was our top C for years.

This is where tanking helps, because it's the best way to get those 1st line wingers.
Exactly. Build around doesn't mean they are your best players.

Hodgson, Ennis and Foligno are going to be invaluable in 2-3 years when you have all these young guys that are looking for some mental rocks. The biggest problem with the Oilers, is they are missing this age group. They had some great young talent, and then some older talent. They had very players that had talent and the mental aspect of the game down.

Old
07-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

If they need mental rocks they should talk to Kaleta, he's full of them.

Karate Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 09:55 PM
TimMcClure*

Quote:

Did you see the quality of players at the WHC this year? It was awful, hardly any NHL players.

Which made Myers' mediocre performance more troubling.

Big ice is made for Hodgson, he tore up the WJC.

TimMcClure* is offline   Reply With Quote