HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eberle as centre?

Old
06-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Smaug

vCash: 500
Eberle as centre?

I wonder what people on this board think of the notion of switching Eberle from right wing to centre?

There was some suggestion on another thread of switching Hall to centre, but I dislike that idea because I believe Eberle would be a better fit in a centre spot. Eberle seems to think the game better than Hall, and Eberle would give the oilers more line options.

Yes, I realize the oilers only have two natural RW's in their current configuration (assuming Yak makes the cut), but with Eberle as second line centre they have potenialy

Hall, RNH, RW
LW, Eberle, Yak

The core of two solid scoring lines.

Gagner would then be a third line centre with either veterans like Smyth and Hemsky or prospects like MPS, and Horcoff on the fourth (with hopefuly no power play time but still time on the PK).

Last edited by Smaug: 06-25-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Kevotron

I'm all for it as long as we put Dubnyk infront of the opposing goalie during a PP
have RNH and Hall playing 1st pairing D on our PK because it can generate tons of short handed chances with their speed

Kevotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

No thanks, he plays great on the Nuge's wing and was a 35-35 winger last year, I want more of that.

I don't think we have to be too complicated with this, if the team needs a center, go find a center.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No thanks, he plays great on the Nuge's wing and was a 35-35 winger last year, I want more of that.

I don't think we have to be too complicated with this, if the team needs a center, go find a center.
That would be a centre for Yakupov if Eberle stays RW for Nuge.

Nice idea, but with what shall Edmonton trade for an appropriate centre? They have a few spare third and fourth line LW's, but I don't imagine that Tambellini can get much for them.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
That would be a centre for Yakupov if Eberle stays RW for Nuge.

Nice idea, but with what shall Edmonton trade for an appropriate centre? They have a few spare third and fourth line LW's, but I don't imagine that Tambellini can get much for them.
Yakupov, Hall and Eberle are wingers, The Nuge is a center.

If they want another Center, go get a Center, and let the players play in the position they were drafted playing.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
I wonder what people on this board think of the notion of switching Eberle from right wing to centre?

There was some suggestion on another thread of switching Hall to centre, but I dislike that idea because I believe Eberle would be a better fit in a centre spot. Eberle seems to think the game better than Hall, and Eberle would give the oilers more line options.

Yes, I realize the oilers only have three natural RW's in their current configuration (assuming Yak makes the cut), but with Eberle as second line centre they have potenialy

Hall, RNH, RW
LW, Eberle, Yak

The core of two solid scoring lines.

Gagner would then be a third line centre with either veterans like Smyth and Hemsky or prospects like MPS, and Horcoff on the fourth (with hopefuly no power play time but still time on the PK).
eberle in a different position has been suggested before.

can you tell my why you'd take someone who has out performed all expcetations and only looks to get better, and take him away from the position that is a PERFECT fit for him?
please explain how this would make the Oilers a better team. with Eberle where he is, there is going to be at least two solid scoring lines already.

for gods sake, leave Eberle alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leave-britney-alone-02.jpg‎ (3.2 KB, 140 views)

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:33 PM
oilersfan11

Eberle is better suited for the wing.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
eberle in a different position has been suggested before.

can you tell my why you'd take someone who has out performed all expcetations and only looks to get better, and take him away from the position that is a PERFECT fit for him?
please explain how this would make the Oilers a better team. with Eberle where he is, there is going to be at least two solid scoring lines already.

for gods sake, leave Eberle alone.

Why consider Eberle?

The oilers need a second line centre now, and have zero prospects for trading to get one. As I recall, Edmonton once had a pretty good winger that they converted to centre because they needed him there (Mark Messier). It worked for him. Wether Eberle can do the same is a different story, but if they are going to switch anyone, I think he has the best shot at finding success at centre.

The oilers will not have two solid scoring line otherwise. They will have, at best a third line centre in Gagner and either Yakupov or Eberle will be on his right, which is akin to paring a thouroughbred with a nag. Sure they can pull your wagon, but at the slow horse's speed. Maybe in todays low scoring NHL, that is considered solid but ....

Old
06-25-2012, 01:30 AM
loller12

There is no point in converting the oilers best player into a position he is not familiar of imo.

loller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Jean Ralphio

Quote:
Originally Posted by loller12 View Post
There is no point in converting the oilers best player into a position he is not familiar of imo.
Did he not play centre in Regina? I see that most of the scouting services and profiles from 2008 have him listed as a C. I honestly don't know though.

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:43 AM
OILFAN #81

No thanks. Love Eberle on the RW. I wouldn't break up RNH and Eberle either. They had great chemistry last year. On a couple goals, RNH wasn't even looking and just backhanded passes to the slot and Eberle would bury them.

I really wish Hemsky was a LW. I'd rather have Yakupov play in his natural RW spot.

OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:41 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Oh yeah, and let's move Petry to the right wing while we're at it!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:08 AM
Giggli G

I am all for Paajarvi at center, but I don't know if would become good enough. Hall was a center in junior and I think he would work well there. His play would become more like Jordan Staal's, with more speed, better goalscoring.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:15 AM
lakai17

Hall-Eberle-Hemsky
Paajarvi-RNH- Yakupov

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 03:26 AM
nightfighter

Nope no thanks. Doesn't make much sense to me. The reason for thinking of Hall at center is because he's a bigger body who likes to play in straight lanes. He can go toe to toe with a lot of the other big bodies at center for other teams. Eberle would be a lateral move from gagner at center at best.

nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:17 AM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yakupov, Hall and Eberle are wingers, The Nuge is a center.

If they want another Center, go get a Center, and let the players play in the position they were drafted playing.
wasnt eberle drafted as a centre?

Oillio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Philly85
Raps'

There are two things I would ever consider, one more than the other. Hall at centre and MPS on D. I would prefer the former, because Hall can really skate and while he may not be as skilled or technically gifted as Eberle, he is tenacious and has a good head on his shoulders. Could be The Oilers very own Henrik Zetterberg.

Eberle at C? Hell no.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Eskimo44

I'd rather move Hall to center. His can come down low and use his speed to win battles, and still push the puck up ice. Eberle is just too strong coming off the half wall, and has terrific chemistry with the Nuge. It's a tough choice. If it was up to me Paajarvi would be playing center all year in OKC. With his size, speed, and defensive awareness he could do the job well i'd think.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oillio View Post
wasnt eberle drafted as a centre?
Not really. A lot of players are drafted as "center's" because they played the position growing up, but never really played their in junior. I'm sure Eberle took the odd shift there, but he was primarly a winger in Regina iirc. Look at Forsberg, many places listed him as a center, yet he played wing all year in Sweden.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:40 AM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotron View Post
I'm all for it as long as we put Dubnyk infront of the opposing goalie during a PP
have RNH and Hall playing 1st pairing D on our PK because it can generate tons of short handed chances with their speed
+1 for me.

Edit: haven't slept in 5 nights, a healthy dose of sarcasm is just what I need first thing in the morning.

Last edited by czar99: 06-25-2012 at 08:57 AM.
czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:59 AM
McAequitas

I dont think many fans understand what a second linr center is. There are 30 teams. So 60 centers on top two lines. As long as gagner is in top 60 of center scoring he is second line center. He has been top 60 since he entered the league. If you want a 1b cnter fine but gagner is a good 2nd line center (scoring wise)

McAequitas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
I dont think many fans understand what a second linr center is. There are 30 teams. So 60 centers on top two lines. As long as gagner is in top 60 of center scoring he is second line center. He has been top 60 since he entered the league. If you want a 1b cnter fine but gagner is a good 2nd line center (scoring wise)
And the other thing is we have 4 elite talents (Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov) in our top 6. I think that is manageable in a cap world, but I don't know that we can have a 5th or 6th elite guy up there.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:53 AM
0ilerman
The King

A guy named Claude Giroux once played RW and had a ton of success there. Turns out he's actually a top 5 C in the league too. Eberle isn't Giroux, but if anyone could make the switch on this current oilers roster, its Eberle.

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Halibut

Good question but even better can he play defence?

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Petro Points

yes.. good suggestion . a big, gritty C with great faceoff abilities like Ebs is just what we need down the middle..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote