HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Draft Day Thread Part IV | Pursuing Diet Coke Machines

Old
06-23-2012, 05:15 PM
smokersarejokers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Gustafsson is a hard-working player who leverages an active stick and good lane-blocking instincts in place of great size and mobility on the defensive side of the pick. He can, at times, get too carried away with playing a physical game and doesn't have the speed to make long-distance sprints if he gambles and loses during attacking sequences. However, his footwork is very good and he's efficient at selecting his skating lanes. Excellent point management- that's really the trait that has allowed him to carve out a role as a powerplay QB. Best comparison is probably Mark Giordano.
Cool. Thanks!

I love the way that Giordano plays.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:16 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Nice one

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Anyone who knows me knows I wasn't ecstatic about last year's draft class. Too many maybes and projects and reliance on traits that the New NHL doesn't reward.

This time around? I believe this is a franchise-making draft. Khaira has almost every top-six tool you could ask for; ditto for Zharkov. Their only flaws are ones fixed with time and maturity. Moroz embodies the term elite bottom-sixer. LaLeggia, I knew from the moment I first saw him play in '10 that he was destined for The Show- no matter what anyone said or how many times he went undrafted. Gustafsson and McCarron represent a shift towards picking older players who can fill gaps while still on their ELCs. Oh, and there's that Nail Yakupov guy.

If the Oilers win the Stanley Cup in 2015/16, it will be because the 2012 Draft allowed management to supplement Edmonton's elite forward group with depth and grit to match. There are still concerns, to be sure, but now it's up to MacTambeLowe to fill them via free agency and trade. But, the major work is done and the future is- finally- here.
Well, this is an incredibly optimistic view. I thought the picks we made last year were way better than this year but we'll see in time, I guess.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Lacaar

I think they tried to pick some Milan Lucic type players. Can't say I blame them. Throw them against the wall and hope one sticks. Players of his mold are hard to single out. Increase the odds by increasing the number of tickets(by that I mean picks of that mold)

Lacaar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Koto

overall i dont mind the draft, but really would have preferred finn at 32.

although i was hoping for a big forward prior to seeing what was available, by all accounts that was quite a reach.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:39 PM
belair

I'd imagine Samuelsson was the guy on the Oilers radar for the #32 pick. Moroz was their silver medal.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
overall i dont mind the draft, but really would have preferred finn at 32.

although i was hoping for a big forward prior to seeing what was available, by all accounts that was quite a reach.
Honestly I'm just happy with Yak, but I'm starting to like Zharkov a lot.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

I'm actually really happy with this draft. I believe the sole purpose was to find a LW to play with RNH and Eberle. I think Zharkov could be that guy.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:55 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm not too impressed with Montreal's picks to be honest.

There's a reason all those guys fell. They have name recognition, but it's not like they're better than other picks around them.
Collberg could still be a steal, I thought he would have went 20-30 but usually past 20 is a hit-miss, no one knows.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
OneSharpMarble

Outside of Yakupov I really had never heard anything about any of the oilers picks. I thought for sure you guys would have been heavier into the d-men.

I really love the Habs picks, I wanted one of Thrower/Bozon/Nieves and to think we would get 2 is unreal.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Dabomb

So are there any players drafted this year that could surprise like Marincin and Gernat?

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Oillio*
OMB god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
So are there any players drafted this year that could surprise like Marincin and Gernat?
zharkov for sure
and possibly khaira

Oillio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Ganz
Dibs

Zharkov will impress.

I predict a sky rocket season. Too big. Too skilled.

Ganz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganz View Post
Zharkov will impress.

I predict a sky rocket season. Too big. Too skilled.
Both him and Kharia have great work ethic too. I'm expecting big things from both of them.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Columbus rewards it's scouting staff's work by firing a bunch of them mere hours after the draft ends.

That's rather harsh

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Columbus rewards it's scouting staff's work by firing a bunch of them mere hours after the draft ends.

That's rather harsh
Why is Howson still GM?

06-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post

That's rather harsh
The tone of your post makes it sound like Howson just "used" them. He paid them to do a job. The job was done and he didn't want them anymore. It sucks that people are out of a job but that's how it works sometimes.

Trades workers work shutdowns at plants. They work 10-14 hour days for 2-5 months with almost no time off. Is the company obligated to keep everyone once the job is done because they worked hard during that period? No. They were doing a job they were paid to do.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:50 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Firing scouts after a draft is no different than firing a coach after the season.

This is the "scouting" offseason. Firing them a month ago means it's too late to replace those voices to prepare for the current draft and firing them in a month means having to replace them in time for the Ivan Hlinka, which doesn't exactly give you loads of time.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:15 AM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

After the total relief of the Yakupov in round 1, my feeling on rounds 2-7 was a definite MEH, felt really flat.
On reflection this is how I now see it
In many ways in 2010 and 2011 we were spoilt with our drafting. In addition to the superstars we made a lot of great value picks, names we were familiar with taken with picks that represented good value. I'm talking about the likes of Pitlick, Hamilton, Klefbom, Musil, Marincin, Davidson, Rieder, Bunz.
Now it's my perception that in 2012 the team has identified its needs as Defense and size at forward. After the 1st round if you take a defenseman, that pick is not helping you any quicker than the guys already in our system and drafting forwards with size/grit is very unpredictable.
So the organization knows it has some safer prospects in the system and after adding Yakupov, it has made a decision to swing for the fences (6 times) in the hope of hitting a home run or two. Only time will tell whether it was the correct strategy. I get the impression that we will try to upgrade the d short term via trade/fa and from the way we drafted maybe they are quietly confident they will land Schultz.

#1 Yakupov - just love the kid, his game, personality, compete level. I think he will be even better than advertised.

#32 Moroz - like the player, did not like where he was taken but he is the type of player this team needs, excited to see him develop his offensive game in Oil Kings silks next year. More upside than many think here.

#63 Khaira - not familiar with him, but from what I read he has the tools but a bit of a project. He has some good numbers but against lesser opposition in the BCHL. Would like to see him in the WHL rather than college next year.

#91 Zharkov - Good Value here but still boom or bust. He appears to have the desire and drive and I'm backing him to succeed. Reports suggest he has the skills, if the work ethic is there too then this pick could be the home run.

#93 Gustafsson - overager and not much information out there. Calle Andersson was still on the board at this point and I think he would have been a great addition to our prospect pool and been a great value pick at that point. Alas it was not meant to be. Will have to trust Stu on this one.

#123 LaLeggia - I'm liking this pick more and more. Downside is his size but no arguments with his numbers. A friend of RNH, hopefully a late round gem. No problem with taking a skill set like this at #123

#153 McCarron - Big body, hits, fights and some decent if not great numbers in the USHL and college. This is Stu swinging for the fences one last time in 2012.

Always fun following the progress of our prospects especially in their post draft year. There will be some pleasant surprises and some disappointments. With this group its so unpredictable.

Maybe I am way off base here but it is my take nonetheless.

gooilgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:27 AM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
how can anyone be upset over the 2nd round pick? apparently Feaster and Burkie grabbed the best players in the draft.
I think something is afoot. One or maybe both are lying

GXL

GorillazXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:38 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL View Post
I think something is afoot. One or maybe both are lying

GXL
Everyone has an opinion. Zharkov seems to think that we picked the best player in the draft and he's not talking about Yakupov

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
The tone of your post makes it sound like Howson just "used" them. He paid them to do a job. The job was done and he didn't want them anymore. It sucks that people are out of a job but that's how it works sometimes.

Trades workers work shutdowns at plants. They work 10-14 hour days for 2-5 months with almost no time off. Is the company obligated to keep everyone once the job is done because they worked hard during that period? No. They were doing a job they were paid to do.
Well, some of the guys fired have been with the organization since before the team ever played any games, including their WHL guy who did all the work on their last two WHL picks(Murray/Johanson).

You're probably right though. Just seems a bit abrupt to me to fire long term employees a few hours after they turned in a years worth of work. If the Oilers did this it would be a nut house, people flipped out because scouts were fired over the phone by Tambi here

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:51 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

I just realized that neither Sautner or Corbett were drafted

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 04:47 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Everyone has an opinion. Zharkov seems to think that we picked the best player in the draft and he's not talking about Yakupov
I don't think he thinks he's the best player. I think he wants to become the best player

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:41 AM
lakai17

Quote:
he should try telling that to Jay Feaster and Brian Burke.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote