HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Draft Day Thread Part IV | Pursuing Diet Coke Machines

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2012, 10:43 PM
  #351
I am the Liquor
Fire Mact
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,555
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
He's also a Norris Trophy winner.
Its a fine line, but its there if you look hard enough.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:45 PM
  #352
OilerFan4Life
Registered User
 
OilerFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Heartland of Hockey
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,158
vCash: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
How's Moroz's game compared to Travis Ewanyk's?

Personally I like the idea that the Oilers were trying to fill the shelf on the wings since they've done well recently adding D prospects. But I'm wondering if they could've taken a shot on another C instead of the 3 LWs. Beyond Lander, Pitlick and Vandevelde, the cupboard's pretty bare.
Ewanyk is not a bully on in the ice. He's great defensively and a heart and soul type guy. He reminds me a lot of Jarret Stoll from the old Kootenay days.

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:30 PM
  #353
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,620
vCash: 500
Jujhar Khaira has also said he can play either LW, RW, or C.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:30 AM
  #354
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
So a quick thought since it seems the Moroz pick is the biggest one in question and obviously this bit of criticism is in complete hindsite but...

The Cogliano trade is looking like a big blunder. Why wouldn't the Oilers have asked for a 2nd in 2012 instead of 2013. That would ahve gven them two 2nd's this year and we could have drafted Thrower with our 1st 2nd and then used the Anaheim 2nd 4 picks later to grab Moroz.

Like I said it's complete hindsite, but it would have been nice to get a higher ranked defensive prospect from this draft.

Now all this could be for not as the extra 2nd next year could land us a stud but I liked this draft in that there wasn't a lot of high end talent but I think this draft will bring a lot of role players and the like. We got one of the few higher end talents and now we just need to fill out the team with role players.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:36 AM
  #355
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Can't help but lol at all the posters here who were curing Tambo/KLowe/MacT's names before the selection was even made because they thought we were taking Murry.

One would hope this would cause pause in the future before going off the deep end. Probably not.

What came of all the insider information from posters here about us taking Murray? Or making a trade at the draft?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
  #356
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Can't help but lol at all the posters here who were curing Tambo/KLowe/MacT's names before the selection was even made because they thought we were taking Murry.

One would hope this would cause pause in the future before going off the deep end. Probably not.

What came of all the insider information from posters here about us taking Murray? Or making a trade at the draft?
I always maintained that they were tight lipped in the past and made the "right" decision so I had no reason to believe. However it was concerning hearing the several media sources who had the Oilers taking Murray.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:47 AM
  #357
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
So a quick thought since it seems the Moroz pick is the biggest one in question and obviously this bit of criticism is in complete hindsite but...

The Cogliano trade is looking like a big blunder. Why wouldn't the Oilers have asked for a 2nd in 2012 instead of 2013. That would ahve gven them two 2nd's this year and we could have drafted Thrower with our 1st 2nd and then used the Anaheim 2nd 4 picks later to grab Moroz.

Like I said it's complete hindsite, but it would have been nice to get a higher ranked defensive prospect from this draft.

Now all this could be for not as the extra 2nd next year could land us a stud but I liked this draft in that there wasn't a lot of high end talent but I think this draft will bring a lot of role players and the like. We got one of the few higher end talents and now we just need to fill out the team with role players.

Really? The Cogliano trade is looking like a coup. Anahiem is going to finish poorly next year and look how bad this draft was. Next year is supposed to be massively better than this year.

If anything we should be giving mad props to Tambellini for having the forsight.


Part of the reason as well was to spread out some contracts. We have alot of people under contract who are very young.


Last edited by Valic: 06-25-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:52 AM
  #358
MPStoEberletoHall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Really? The Cogliano trade is looking like a coup. Anahiem is going to finish poorly next year and look how bad this draft was. Next year is supposed to be massively better than this year.

If anything we should be giving mad props to Tambellini for having the forsight.
I was just thinking that. The Ducks pick will probably be around 35-40. Along with ours which will be around there to

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:40 AM
  #359
Skm
Registered User
 
Skm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Can't help but lol at all the posters here who were curing Tambo/KLowe/MacT's names before the selection was even made because they thought we were taking Murry.

One would hope this would cause pause in the future before going off the deep end. Probably not.

What came of all the insider information from posters here about us taking Murray? Or making a trade at the draft?
I think there was a lot more media propogation this year about Murray than there was for Seguin or Larsson, and that's why some posters here were freaking out a bit. Hopefully it's a lesson for the future that unless there is a confirmed report, media speculation (even if it's Stauffer talking about his gut feeling) really means nothing.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:43 AM
  #360
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Really? The Cogliano trade is looking like a coup. Anahiem is going to finish poorly next year and look how bad this draft was. Next year is supposed to be massively better than this year.

If anything we should be giving mad props to Tambellini for having the forsight.


Part of the reason as well was to spread out some contracts. We have alot of people under contract who are very young.
I mean it very well could be we'll have to wait and see next year. But to me you use the high picks ASAP. Don't save them for some big master plan down the road. Every draft is always supposed to be better the next season.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:03 PM
  #361
The Nuge
Moderator
5-14-6-1
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,556
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I mean it very well could be we'll have to wait and see next year. But to me you use the high picks ASAP. Don't save them for some big master plan down the road. Every draft is always supposed to be better the next season.
Ya I think it really is as simple as trying to space out our picks a little more

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:07 PM
  #362
dem
Registered User
 
dem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Anyone else think its kinda funny that people are talking about Galchenyuk like hes a big center.. and Yakupov like hes a small winger?


They look exactly the same size
Galch might be a smidge taller!


I guess on the habs hes a giant

dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:18 PM
  #363
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,593
vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Anyone else think its kinda funny that people are talking about Galchenyuk like hes a big center.. and Yakupov like hes a small winger?


They look exactly the same size
Galch might be a smidge taller!


I guess on the habs hes a giant
i was talking with a buddy of mine who is a habs fan but doesnt really follow the draft much on friday night and he says "pumped up, the habs drafted a big centre 3rd overall, its about time" so i said "yeah sweet pick, they took a guy who had 0pts all season, must like his skating" i left out the injury part so he whips out his phone and googles "habs 1st round pick stats" and saw he had 0 pts. "WHY THE @#$$% would they do that??????"

hahaha people are funny

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
  #364
MisterD
Registered User
 
MisterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Saskazoo
Posts: 8,579
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
So a quick thought since it seems the Moroz pick is the biggest one in question and obviously this bit of criticism is in complete hindsite but...

The Cogliano trade is looking like a big blunder. Why wouldn't the Oilers have asked for a 2nd in 2012 instead of 2013. That would ahve gven them two 2nd's this year and we could have drafted Thrower with our 1st 2nd and then used the Anaheim 2nd 4 picks later to grab Moroz.

Like I said it's complete hindsite, but it would have been nice to get a higher ranked defensive prospect from this draft.

Now all this could be for not as the extra 2nd next year could land us a stud but I liked this draft in that there wasn't a lot of high end talent but I think this draft will bring a lot of role players and the like. We got one of the few higher end talents and now we just need to fill out the team with role players.
Considering the 2012 draft was weak in depth players, I think the '13 2nd is a better option.

MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:21 PM
  #365
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 29,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Jujhar Khaira has also said he can play either LW, RW, or C.
He seems like a good kid, hopefully he can develop well for us.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
  #366
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 29,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Anyone else think its kinda funny that people are talking about Galchenyuk like hes a big center.. and Yakupov like hes a small winger?


They look exactly the same size
Galch might be a smidge taller!


I guess on the habs hes a giant
Yeah this is what I always found as a bit funny. I think that 6'2 rating on Galy is probably being fairly generous. In all the photos I've seen of Yak + Galy side by side, he looks maybe an inch taller.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 12:41 PM
  #367
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya I think it really is as simple as trying to space out our picks a little more
I guess that's super important to Tamby as he generally takes 5 years to form an opinion on a player. Having to make a decision on 8 guys instead of 7 a year sooner would put his brain into over drive.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:18 PM
  #368
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,326
vCash: 500
Late to the thread but what a joke that once again the org decides to focus on one player attribute, throughout the draft, as a strategy, rather than take bpa's at every point in the draft that increase the chances that you end up with any live NHL bodies post first round.

The Oilers always seem to target certain positions or types of player. For years it was speed/skills where size didn't matter, then specifically targeting D, then now targeting big players that can play with some size and grit.

The same org that figures they now need these attributes got rid of Stoll, Torres, Glencross, Penner, Brodziak. All of which would be helpful now.

The latest draft is further evidence of the org not having a plan. Instead they look like drunken sailors overtacking the sails one way, then another, as if theres no rudder or direction.

The same team that once "had all these defensemen" is now wishing to have all these "fridges" with no perspective on whether any are good enough prospects to actually play in the league. The Muroz pick particularly is a joke at that pick.


Last edited by Replacement: 06-25-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:24 PM
  #369
Panda Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Late to the thread but what a joke that once again the org decides to focus on one player attribute, throughout the draft, as a strategy, rather than take bpa's at every point in the draft that increase the chances that you end up with any live NHL bodies post first round.

The Oilers always seem to target certain positions or types of player. For years it was speed/skills where size didn't matter, then specifically targeting D, then now targeting big players that can play with some size and grit.

The same org that figures they now need these attributes got rid of Stoll, Torres, Glencross, Penner, Brodziak. All of which would be helpful now.

The latest draft is further evidence of the org not having a plan. Instead they look like drunken sailors overtacking the sails one way, then another, as if theres no rudder or direction.

The same team that once "had all these defensemen" is now wishing to have all these "fridges" with no perspective on whether any are good enough prospects to actually play in the league. The Munoz pick particularly is a joke at that pick.
Coming into the draft, we had plenty of quality defensive prospects and few quality offensive prospects.

We stocked the cupboards. Every single forward that we took--save for our last pick--is someone who has size, can skate and has skill. While Moroz may have been a grab at 32, the draft is a crapshoot. Moroz is said to have untapped offensive potential, Khaira is said to be a riser with a complete package, and Zharkov is a big, fast, immensely skilled player who can score.

We weren't drafting coke machines. We were drafting players that we hope can bring both grit and skill.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:27 PM
  #370
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 14,739
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Late to the thread but what a joke that once again the org decides to focus on one player attribute, throughout the draft, as a strategy, rather than take bpa's at every point in the draft that increase the chances that you end up with any live NHL bodies post first round.

The Oilers always seem to target certain positions or types of player. For years it was speed/skills where size didn't matter, then specifically targeting D, then now targeting big players that can play with some size and grit.

The same org that figures they now need these attributes got rid of Stoll, Torres, Glencross, Penner, Brodziak. All of which would be helpful now.

The latest draft is further evidence of the org not having a plan. Instead they look like drunken sailors overtacking the sails one way, then another, as if theres no rudder or direction.

The same team that once "had all these defensemen" is now wishing to have all these "fridges" with no perspective on whether any are good enough prospects to actually play in the league. The Muroz pick particularly is a joke at that pick.
I'm not sure what you're saying. You say they focused on one attribute, and then say there's no plan or direction.

What attribute did they focus on this time. Looking through the seven picks, I see exactly one "fridge", although from your post, I can't even tell if that's your complaint or not.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:28 PM
  #371
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
Coming into the draft, we had plenty of quality defensive prospects and few quality offensive prospects.

We stocked the cupboards. Every single forward that we took--save for our last pick--is someone who has size, can skate and has skill. While Moroz may have been a grab at 32, the draft is a crapshoot. Moroz is said to have untapped offensive potential, Khaira is said to be a riser with a complete package, and Zharkov is a big, fast, immensely skilled player who can score.

We weren't drafting coke machines. We were drafting players that we hope can bring both grit and skill.
You missed the point. By having a specific "lets get this kind of player with these specific attributes" the oilers once again avoid simply taking the bpa at most picks. The second pick being an absolute joke. May as well have given the pick away. This is not an org that has the credibility to go outside the box.

Also as I mentioned this is an org that devaluated hard to play against players, got rid of them, and have determined ever since that they need them. bringing in an unending collection of idiots like Eager to try to fill a hole they once had filled.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:43 PM
  #372
McDNicks17
Moderator
McDavid Cometh
 
McDNicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,680
vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
Coming into the draft, we had plenty of quality defensive prospects and few quality offensive prospects.

We stocked the cupboards. Every single forward that we took--save for our last pick--is someone who has size, can skate and has skill. While Moroz may have been a grab at 32, the draft is a crapshoot. Moroz is said to have untapped offensive potential, Khaira is said to be a riser with a complete package, and Zharkov is a big, fast, immensely skilled player who can score.

We weren't drafting coke machines. We were drafting players that we hope can bring both grit and skill.
Hmm? McCarron was the biggest guy we drafted at 6'2'' 225lbs.

Sounds like he can skate too and he put up good freshman numbers.

McDNicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:52 PM
  #373
Baby Nilsson
Registered User
 
Baby Nilsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
A lot of teams were drafting for need, including Detroit.. Especially in a draft like this.

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:13 PM
  #374
Tad McMikowsky
Retired
 
Tad McMikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
A lot of teams were drafting for need, including Detroit.. Especially in a draft like this.
Maybe, just maybe, this draft wasn't as super deep as everyone else has thought?

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:15 PM
  #375
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Maybe, just maybe, this draft wasn't as super deep as everyone else has thought?
The 3 overagers the Oilers drafted might lend credence to that thought.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.