Notices

Jets acquire Gustavsson for Conditional 7th round

Old
06-24-2012, 10:06 AM
teucer

vCash: 500
According to WFP;

Quote:
"He saved our butts last year during the season at times. He played some real good hockey for us," Burke said. "I think it's time for us as an organization to move on. I think it's time for him to move on. Winnipeg approached us and said they want to sign him as a backup goaltender."
So if that is true, that means Mason is definitely out the door if "Monster" signs.

teucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:39 AM
hypocrite*
hypocrite

I know I'm probably in the minority opinion here, but it's just my opinion.

To hell with Pavelec if he wants to be greedy.

I am cheering for Gustavvson! With other teams getting better we may not make the playoffs, so let's try for 6th - 8th spot and let the chips fall as they may. If we miss, it's a deep draft, allegedly.

Who's with me?

hypocrite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:55 AM
rstml

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
don't be happy but this he's been with the leafs for 3 years maybe 4 i lost track but in all that time he had ONE good month. if he starts in winnipeg (asuming Pavalec bolts to the KHL which hopefully does NOT happen) the jets WILL be drafting top 5 in 2013.
He had his moments, and honestly he was very misused in T.O, I wouldn't be surprised if he does well. Perfect for a backup though.

rstml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:56 AM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
If Pavelec wants to be a Jet and get a fair deal, he should apply for arbitration. Should be able to make a good case on how his 2.91 .907 is worth more than...

Anderson 2.84 .914 for 2.75 mil
Halak 1.97 .926 for 3.5 mil
Lehtonen 2.55 .914 for 3.7 mil
Niemi 2.42 .915 for 3.2 mil

To name a few. Not many comparables for Pavelec to use to justify his asking price in arbitration.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:04 AM
hypocrite*
hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
If Pavelec wants to be a Jet and get a fair deal, he should apply for arbitration. Should be able to make a good case on how his 2.91 .907 is worth more than...

To name a few. Not many comparables for Pavelec to use to justify his asking price in arbitration.
This.

So is it the player that begins the arbitration process, or either party?

Old
06-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section326 View Post
This.

So is it the player that begins the arbitration process, or either party?
Either. Player-elected arbitration begins July 5th and team-elected on the 6th.

06-24-2012, 11:14 AM
tntkid

I agree 100%.

I really hope that this last season has not gone to Pavelec's head & that he thinks that he is worth more than he actually is.

Gustavsson would be a nice addition to split duties with Pavelec.
With the pressure of playing goal in Toronto off him he may surprise people.

Quote:

Last edited by tntkid: 06-24-2012 at 11:25 AM.
tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:27 AM
hypocrite*
hypocrite

But then there's always that "hurt-feelings" verbiage I hear on 1290 if Pavelec loses.

I will take the uninformed road and blame his agent!

Old
06-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Crazed Fan

Happy with this signing. Mason always worried me in net. (apparently management felt this way as well)
New home for Gus, new coaching, clean slate. He will be in more games than Mason next year so we dont burn Pavelec out.

I have zero doubts Pavs will sign with us and be our starter, Gus will be backup. Good move by Chevy.
Burke had said to CBC that Chevy had approached him looking for a backup.

Crazed Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:41 PM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
here's the book on Jonas:

he was plagued with freak injury issues (his heart) so immediately he was behind the 8-ball.
he definitely has confidence issues. would get incredibly worked up when a goal was scored on him. dude has to learn how to not get rattled. i think he would sometimes point/blame d-men. not cool.

he has the frame to be a star goalie. he still has to work on the basics (not overcommitting) but there's potential there.

also, putting it in perspective, the Leafs' d is crap. any goalie would look stupid playing behind those guys. while the Jets have defensive zone issues of their own, the Leafs had Schenn (over-rated), Phaneuf (horrible foot speed, would get beaten in his own zone), LIles (more turnovers than the Pillbury dough boy), etc.

a new start would be best for Jonas. there is potential. wouldn't be cool if he's a #1, but hey, for 15 games a season, he's not a bad option.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Hopefully Jonas signs in Winnipeg so the Jets can go into Toronto and shut out the Leafs with a truly motivated goaltender

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:09 PM
edge7287
Cop Shoot Cop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
Hopefully Jonas signs in Winnipeg so the Jets can go into Toronto and shut out the Leafs with a truly motivated goaltender
I'd give the odds for that one to be 85%. Former Leafs or Ontario boys always do well playing in T.O.

Scheifele and Seguin did that last year, unfortunately.

edge7287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:11 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
Leafs were very good to Jonas. I dont know why he'd have a hate for them.

Gus has had a very rough go. He essentially has no family (parents are both passed in the past few years, no siblings, I believe grandparents also passed). hes had multiple heart surgeries. He suffered from serious consistencey issues probably relating to his inner demons.

I believe he can be a capable NHL goalie. I hope him the best in Winnipeg.

blasted_Sabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:15 PM
OnionPuck

The more I read about Gus the more I want him and the more I want to see him succeed. He seems to have the right stuff to be a great goal tender.

As much as I love both Pavs and Mace, I think he could really turn it around here in Winnipeg. I hope to see him get a fair shot.

Edit: leafs fans' take on the trade: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1214801

OnionPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I just hope if he signs that it doesn't bring an influx of Leafs fans to this board.

No offense, it's just TSNs coverage is more than enough Leafs info for me.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
I just hope if he signs that it doesn't bring an influx of Leafs fans to this board.

No offense, it's just TSNs coverage is more than enough Leafs info for me.
The leaf fans (trolls) in our GDT's was FAR more than enough for me.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:34 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
You think this was a trade for a new starter?
If Pavelec doesn't sign, hes likely to take over.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:24 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:

After seeing that list, boy oh boy 3.5 sure seems more than fair doesn't it?

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
If Pavelec doesn't sign, hes likely to take over.
he has too sign first

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:29 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Gustavsson was my preference for a back up goalie, but to be honest I don't like giving up anything (even a 7th) for him. I just feel like he's not that much better than the other back up goalies available on the market.

I'm also not sure he's interested in signing another NHL contract at all. He was a "monster" in the SEL but he hasn't done much at all in the NHL. Does he want to be relegated to back up status for the rest of his career, or does he return home to the SEL? I think it's a toss up.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:32 PM
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Gustavsson was my preference for a back up goalie, but to be honest I don't like giving up anything (even a 7th) for him. I just feel like he's not that much better than the other back up goalies available on the market.

I'm also not sure he's interested in signing another NHL contract at all. He was a "monster" in the SEL but he hasn't done much at all in the NHL. Does he want to be relegated to back up status for the rest of his career, or does he return home to the SEL? I think it's a toss up.
I would tend to agree about the pick....
but we do also have a couple of extra earlier round picks thanks to the Oduya trade.

Pavelec4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

It makes a lot of sense in regards to the situation Chevy is in. One RFA goalie with a hard-bargaining (******) agent like Walsh, and the other a UFA the Jets org. didnt show much faith in pretty much all last season?

By offering a conditional 7th round draft pick for signing rights of Gustavvson, Chevy really kills two birds with one stone: #1 being the chance of obtaining a more capable back up goalie and backdoor escape option if Pavs really does go to the KHL. #2 is an instant and palpable bargaining chip to use against Walsh.

If Chevy can get some sort of edge with this, and ends up signing Pavs, AND ends up wanting to keep Mason, no harm done... we dont sign Gusto and we dont lose a 7th round pick. If we do end up signing Gusto, we lose a 7th round pick in an admittedly stacked draft... but as said earlier, we already have 2 earlier picks thanks to the Oduya trade. We also have the opportunity to accumulate more draft picks by trading future UFAs in Hainsey, Antro, and others.

And oh well, even if we do sign Gusto and he's a bust... we can use him to beat/slap TML in the face next season.

PS: I think with a much more friendly environment, less personal issues, and non-Allaire goal coach, Gusto can come around... maybe (very optimistic) give Pav a run for his money. And there's no way he's not waiting for a chance to turn his game around in the NHL. Going back to Europe would be a last resort for him.

Last edited by Mathil8: 06-24-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:17 PM
SCP Guy

Why would Gus sign when he is one week away from the open market? He might as well see what the other offers will be. Not that there will be a bunch of teams hot and heavy for him but he might as well check right?

SCP Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Why would Gus sign when he is one week away from the open market? He might as well see what the other offers will be. Not that there will be a bunch of teams hot and heavy for him but he might as well check right?
Very true, which is why I like how Chevy handled this. He gained signing rights of him by trading a conditional 7th round pick... to start that at least shows some interest/faith in the guy; and gives us a jump start on discussing negotiations with his agent. On top of that, Winnipeg is a pretty good organization for projects like him (IMO). As fans, we're not going to be extremely hard on the guy if he makes a fair share of mistakes (unlike the TML). The organization is also (from what I've read/heard) pretty slated on players/goaltenders playing their own way, which is one of the major problems he had with Allaire. We also have the issue with Pavs maybe going to the KHL, which at a worst case scenario puts Gusto between the pipes as a probable #1. And like you said, not many teams (if any) are going to be hot and heavy for him. Seems like a pretty decent fit on both sides IMO.

Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:30 PM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Mathil8 your post #97 pretty much hit the nail on the head. At worst it's an insurance policy that cost us nothing, and generates interest with monster. I say Chevy gets good marks for doing this. He hits multiple birds with one stone.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote