HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Despres Available For Pittsburgh?

Old
06-23-2012, 03:33 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
Despres + Martin for B. Ryan ?
Not close at all you are either over rating Martin's value or over rating Despres. At the very least Sutter would have to be added to the deal.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:33 PM
edro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Not close at all you are either over rating Martin's value or over rating Despres. At the very least Sutter would have to be added to the deal.
Suttee wont be dealt I don't think

edro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edro View Post
Pens would have to adds but I can see a Ryan for Despres ++ happening....
If by adding you mean a whole new center piece to the deal like Sutter i agree.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edro View Post
Suttee wont be dealt I don't think
I don't think Sutter would be dealt either but the Ducks need a #2 center out of what Pitt has Sutter is the closest thing that would be available around the value. If Ryan gets dealt it would take someone more proven then Despres to get them to consider it. Honestly I don't think Pitt would be willing to trade the players it would take to get Bobby Ryan.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:36 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
and all the teams drafting before he was picked have loaded forward pools? There was obviously something going on with this guy that wasn't exactly public knowledge.
Oh no he fell to 11th the only "something" was that the teams had likely 1 player they liked a little bit more.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:44 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
Makes aboslutely no sense whatsoever. If the Penguins wanted to upgrade their forward depth they could've just taken Forsberg.
For what it's worth THN's draft magazine had this quote in their write-up of Forsberg (whom they had #2 overall)

"I had him down as a higher-skill player than I saw him to be this year," one scout said. "He's definitely got skill, but when you watch him play in the men's league, you're more apt to say he's a real solid two-way player."

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:49 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think Sutter would be dealt either but the Ducks need a #2 center out of what Pitt has Sutter is the closest thing that would be available around the value. If Ryan gets dealt it would take someone more proven then Despres to get them to consider it. Honestly I don't think Pitt would be willing to trade the players it would take to get Bobby Ryan.
That's actually a really intriguing scenario. Has a player ever been traded twice in a row with out playing for the first team that traded for him?

I'm really happy that the Pens got a good 3rd line center to offset a little of what they are losing w/o Staal, but Ryan would still be worth a lot more to the team IMO. For curiosity's sake what do you guys think Shero would have to add to Sutter to make it an even trade for Ryan?

Old
06-23-2012, 04:51 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
That's actually a really intriguing scenario. Has a player ever been traded twice in a row with out playing for the first team that traded for him?
Pretty often. Hawks got Marty Reasoner as part of the Byfuglien trade to Atlanta then traded him for Jeff Taffe when he couldn't fit under the salary cap.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:57 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Pretty often. Hawks got Marty Reasoner as part of the Byfuglien trade to Atlanta then traded him for Jeff Taffe when he couldn't fit under the salary cap.
Well thank you for the education

I wonder how crazy it would be getting swapped around like that. I guess you only have to move once so it can't be that bad

Old
06-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I don't really get the Despres hype. Yes, he's roughly NHL ready at the moment, but as a bottom pairing dman. He just does not seem that talented with the puck, and while he is big, he's not overly physical, and more solid than great defensively. Long term I see him as a bottom pairing dman who maybe has 2nd pairing upside, but I don't see him as a stud. I think he's no better than the Pens 4th best d prospect (long term), behind Morrow, Pouliot and Maatta. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they moved him.
Odd.. seeing how he was playing over 17 mins a night during his stint with the Pens. Most Pens fans (honest ones anyway) see him as a solid top 4 potential with a slim chance as a #2D (you never really know until they play/develop).

This year if there's room he'll likely be on the 3d pairing getting 15+ mins a night. However that could change if Martin is moved, or a UFA signed, etc. But he was very solid during his call up this year.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:34 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I know it's cliche`...but...you don't watch much Pens hockey, particularly the games he's played in...do you?

Very talented with the puck. Is he Datsyuk? No of course not. But he's very fluid and comfortable with the puck. When all the prospects are ripe for picking, I predict he'll be paired with Letang as the #2.
The Pens are my 2nd favourite team, and I catch a tonne of their games. Saw him play a number of NHL games, thought he looked awkward and out of place. Have seen him play a decent amount in the Q too, he was a man amongst boys down there, but still didn't display much high end skill. He's just a guy who I'm not very high on, in terms of long-term projections (as I mentioned before, I definitely prefer Morrow, Pouliot and Maatta). I see him as the Pens' most overrated prospect, along with Tangradi.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Only Pittsburgh fans.
Let's see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Habs would have been all over this, the Pens IMO are not moving Despres. This kid is the real deal and will be great for the Penguins for years
Obviously this guy is a Pens fan.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Despres is about as available as Crosby

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
The Inquisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Despres is about as available as Crosby
....wait, what?

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:40 PM
Marky9er

I'd offer Jurco or Pulkinnen+ from Detroit, but not sure that's the kinda thing they are looking for?

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:03 PM
RehnX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Rossi is such a joke. Shero has already stated Despres and Morrow can not be had at any price. They're untouchable.

Someone get this hack off social media
Staal was also untouchable.

Shero is a General Manager of a hockey club in the NHL, he can't play favorites. If Despres is the center piece in a trade that improves the team now, Shero will take it. Letang, Crosby, Malkin. . .Those are the only "hang up the phone" players in any competent GM's mind.

RehnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:17 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
I'd offer Jurco or Pulkinnen+ from Detroit, but not sure that's the kinda thing they are looking for?
Value may be fair, but I think if Despres is moved it'll be as part of a package for a big name.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:17 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehnX View Post
Staal was also untouchable.

Shero is a General Manager of a hockey club in the NHL, he can't play favorites. If Despres is the center piece in a trade that improves the team now, Shero will take it. Letang, Crosby, Malkin. . .Those are the only "hang up the phone" players in any competent GM's mind.
Right now with the whole winger situation as it is, Neal would be another cue to hang up for me tbh.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
The Pens are my 2nd favourite team, and I catch a tonne of their games. Saw him play a number of NHL games, thought he looked awkward and out of place. Have seen him play a decent amount in the Q too, he was a man amongst boys down there, but still didn't display much high end skill. He's just a guy who I'm not very high on, in terms of long-term projections (as I mentioned before, I definitely prefer Morrow, Pouliot and Maatta). I see him as the Pens' most overrated prospect, along with Tangradi.
I'm going to have to go with a big on this one.

If anything, Despres was praised for his poise and awareness in his own zone. The team was amazed at how well he played, especially in the playoffs. In fact, his best asset was his positioning... The last thing he was doing out there, was looking lost.

Your post here basically admits that you don't think highly of him. In other words, you personally don't like him, so you're going to show bias in the fact that you think he's not that good.

Personally, I could care less for anyone who is or was a Philadelphia Flyer, but if you asked me what I thought of Eric Lindros, I'd tell you that I would have given anything to have him as a Penguin and that he was easily one of the most exciting players this league has ever had. I don't like him, but at least I give credit where it's due.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:36 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraction Jackson View Post
It's Rossi so it's likely based on nothing.

That said, you have to figure at least some of our younger defenders have to be on the move sooner or later. There are a bunch that are all more or less in the same mold of two-way guys with at least average size (Maatta, Harrington) to guys that have that as a big strength (Despres, Dumoulin, Bortuzzo). None of them have elite offensive skills, but all of them pass and handle the puck well, have decent vision, etc. They're the prototypical Pittsburgh sort of defenders and all of them have a decent chance to be top 4, two-way D in their own ways if they hit their ceiling.

Then you have a couple more physical, stay-at-home types in McNeil and Strait. You've also got two potentially elite offensive defensemen with elite skating ability, one with a mean streak (Morrow), and one who plays a calmer, more disciplined style (Pouliot). There's also another guy in that mold, less highly touted but still a potential NHLer, in D'Agostino. And that's not even getting into the more fringe guys like Samuelsson, Sneep, etc.

The point is of course that we can't possibly have all these guys at the NHL level. There is absolutely no doubt that we are positively stacked in terms of defense prospects, more than we already were. Therefore, it's basically a given that a couple of them will be traded eventually.

Could one of those be Despres? It's possible; he was highly regarded before he was drafted, but dropped. He's developed very well since then and has shown that he can play good defense at the NHL level already; by any reasonable standard he is a top-tier defense prospect in the league right now, though certainly there's guys that are ahead of him. He would be a major part of most deals. I wouldn't want to trade him, simply because he gives us an inexpensive option for next year if we move another defenseman. But he would have fairly strong value and if the right deal came along I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Value may be fair, but I think if Despres is moved it'll be as part of a package for a big name.
Agree with much of the above.

The big thing is while the Pens may still want to move 1 more D, Despres contract makes him hard to move, even in a name for a winger to play with Crosby, or an upgrade at D.

On a team that will have 2 $9M+ centers, a #1 D two years from a ridiculous deal, a $5M winger, and a $5M goalie, having a top four D at under $1M is a huge break.

Only deal that makes sense is someone else who is an established top 4 D or top 6 wing, on a cost controlled, long term deal. And those guys don't get moved often.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:32 PM
RehnX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Right now with the whole winger situation as it is, Neal would be another cue to hang up for me tbh.
I would say he is VERY unlikely to be dealt, but not untouchable(let's be honest, that word is overused here).

RehnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:33 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Pens fans, what would you want from the Avs?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:44 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehnX View Post
I would say he is VERY unlikely to be dealt, but not untouchable(let's be honest, that word is overused here).
Since what we need the most are wingers though, he would mostly be dealt for an upgrade and I'd personally pack Letang's bag, if Nashville wanted him for Weber, so in that regard, I guess, everyone could go for an upgrade, which would make only 87 & 71 untouchable, because there is no upgrade to be had there.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:46 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Pens fans, what would you want from the Avs?
A similar level wing prospect or young NHL winger.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Kershaw

You can say he's had a good first stint in the big leagues, but to call him a stud is very premature. Even as a Ranger fan, I cringe when people call Chris Kreider a stud.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote