HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers-Hurricanes

Old
06-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

vCash: 500
We've already got scouts looking at Parker Staal. He's a little raw, but has tremendous potential for a 3-year old.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Yeah, just like this time around. JR first tried to get Jordan Staal (or rather, the 2nd overall pick) back in 2006. He offered a deal to Shero, Shero asked for a little too much for JR's taste, so JR passed and decided to wait for another opportunity to arise.

And such an opportunity arose, which JR pounced on. The same thing will likely happen with Marc. I have no doubt that Carolina grabbing Jordan means that both JR and Sather realize they're going to be having a conversation about Marc in the future. Whether a deal can be done is another thing all together, but there will definitely be talks.
So he waited until he found a better price. That price was still a top young player, a very high pick, and a good defensive prospect. Why would it be different when acquiring Marc? And no, I don't consider McBain a top young player.

Ih8theislanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:43 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
We've already got scouts looking at Parker Staal. He's a little raw, but has tremendous potential for a 3-year old.
Blockbuster 20 years from now. Landon Girardi for Parker Staal?

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
So he waited until he found a better price. That price was still a top young player, a very high pick, and a good defensive prospect. Why would it be different when acquiring Marc? And no, I don't consider McBain a top young player.
...Which is why I said, if New York tries for Faulk, JR will wait it out. He'll wait for a better price...like he did for Jordan. I don't see the problem here...

Like I said in the other Marc Staal topic, he costs too much right now. Understandably so. Carolina is in no hurry to acquire him though, so we can wait a few years and re-evaluate then.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:59 PM
RyanCallahan24*

Quote:
...Which is why I said, if New York tries for Faulk, JR will wait it out. He'll wait for a better price...like he did for Jordan. I don't see the problem here...
So if Faulk is not included what's a ''better price'' where rangers don't recieve scrubs? Pens got Sutter (young, solid 2-way player, good value) + top 10 pick and a good prospect. McBain ain't gonna cut it.

We will want a real good roster player, top prospect/top 10 pick + solid prospect.

RyanCallahan24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:02 PM
edro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanmac81 View Post
your legitimately valuing M. Staal at Skinner?

If Jordan Staal couldn't get Skinner Marc certainly isn't
Staal is one year from FA

edro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post
So if Faulk is not included what's a ''better price'' where rangers don't recieve scrubs? Pens got Sutter (young, solid 2-way player, good value) + top 10 pick and a good prospect. McBain ain't gonna cut it.

We will want a real good roster player, top prospect/top 10 pick + solid prospect.
In the same way that Pens fans wanted a kings ransom for Jordan, until Jordan sort of screwed that up by rejecting the long-term deal and having it made public that he wanted to play in Carolina. That made a kings ransom impossible. He still got a good return, but not the return he could have gotten.

Likewise, circumstances could change with Marc over the next couple years. Maybe the Rangers keep getting better defensemen that makes Marc more expendable. Maybe Carolina gets better prospects that make Faulk expendable. Maybe Marc puts the screws to New York similar to the way Jordan did to Pittsburgh. A lot of scenarios that could change the outlook over the next few years.

But at the moment, the price is (understandably) too high and JR will wait and try in a few years. If he can get him, good. If he can't, so be it.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:07 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Marc Staal for Jordan Staal?

Seriously Skinner or GTFO. If Carolina wants Marc it's going to be like trying to buy a house that's not for sale. It has to be a no brainer deal for the Rangers.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:22 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCallahan24 View Post

If it was two years from now, McBain would "cut it" fine as the solid prospect. What's missing is Sutter and the top ten pick.

If Carolina offered us the same package they did for Jordan, I would take it. We're stacked on LD as it is and getting Forsberg, Sutter and Domoulin would be a good return for Staal.*

This is if he only had one year left on his deal, like Jordan did, of course.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

They make poor trading partners if you ask me. Rangers are looking for a little more offensive pop without giving up anyone crucial to the next 3 years. Marc Staal is crucial to the next 3 years.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Dubinsky is worth that package alone.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
This is clearly just a ploy for the Canes to reunite Dubinsky with Rozsival.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote