HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs select Erik Nystrom - 154th overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
They had their scout follow him for the entire year..

I think thats a good indicator of how intriguing this guy is to them.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Templeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
All I can say, is that I would have picked Beauvillier here. 6th rounder though, so not a big deal, but good excuse/opportunity to pick a quality French player.
What did you see in Beauvillier?

I saw a good skater, that's all.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:55 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templeton View Post
What did you see in Beauvillier?

I saw a good skater, that's all.
Well, first of all, remove me from the equation at all, and he was selected for the CHL Top Prospects game. The consensus reached in selecting those players over the years has produced almost 100% draft rate, so it's a safe bet that any player making the final list is worthy of a draft pick - and not necessarily just a late one.

Jumping back in with observation, though, I saw a guy who got used to being a bit bigger, and started putting more pucks on net. I don't know what his shot totals were this year compared to last, but it seems to me like he was a regular - rather than occasional, like last year - shot/chance contributor considering his role. I think the slightly scattered way he gets around the ice can be coached out (with systems work?), and I think he'll likely naturally speed up his read/reaction time and decision-making. He seems like he's on the cusp of proving whether he's going to develop or peak, and I see potential there, I guess.

Then I factor in the impressive shape he was in at the combine, and the strength he showed, and I think he's starting to show signs of dedication to go with the wheels and the increasing offensive confidence. He could be in for a big year.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:09 AM
bleuetbio

I never his name before today but I read a lot today. I think its an interesting pick . Its one of the two 93-94 forwards in Modo and they have the sames stats. The other one is Henrik Samuelson, picked friday in first round. So, if Timmins trust him and call him is wild card, im ok. We have to try people like him to get a Zetterberg/Datsyuk someday. I think he could be a player listed for Sweden in the next WJC. I had others choices but its not a bad pick at all

Old
06-24-2012, 05:46 AM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Unfortunately, this was all I could find in terms of video footage:
http://www.elitserienplay.se/#/video.1165545808001

#36 with a nice pass at the 1:32 mark, shows some of his speed as well.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fregus View Post

Nice explosion. But clearly, he's also a case of hitting the gym, which is recurrent for most of our prospects chosen this year. But he has fast feet that's for sure.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:05 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Nice explosion. But clearly, he's also a case of hitting the gym, which is recurrent for most of our prospects chosen this year. But he has fast feet that's for sure.
Considering he was such a late pick, and our last pick he shows some promising upside vs when we drafted Westin.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I like two things that I see from the small clip. His explosiveness when the puck is on his stick and his head always up, looking for that pass to make. Nice hands, nice vision. We'll have to wait and see where he goes from here and how he progresses.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Colton Hargrove is not a goon. He is a big kid who can score and fight in the mold of Lucic.

But......no use complaining. What's done is done.
So Hargrove destroys the USHL with his fighting and add some points to his resume....great. See, we have a guy like that. His name is Andrew Conboy. Totally DESTROYED the USHL in every of his fights, and had his share of points as well. Then, Conboy who probably never lost a fight in his life knew what fighting is all about in the pros and looks awful doing it. And then, we are still wondering if he'll ever be playing role in the AHL. Mind you, not entirely his fault if he was injured. Yet, not my point. We drafted a guy like that. And it doesn't mean he will pan out and let's compare every tough guys that has points to Lucic please. And we have Ian Schultz as well with the same pedigree. So please.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

One thing I'm wondering though about Nystrom...he cleary doesn't have a spot in the SEL next year compared to Collberg....can he be interested in moving if he's picked in the import draft? That would be neat. 'Cause the kid is scheduled to play in the SuperElit league not the Elitserian. And from his stats, he has nothing to learn in that league if it's not the rest of his play which I have no clue where he is at.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Scotianhab

Quote:
One thing I'm wondering though about Nystrom...he cleary doesn't have a spot in the SEL next year compared to Collberg....can he be interested in moving if he's picked in the import draft? That would be neat. 'Cause the kid is scheduled to play in the SuperElit league not the Elitserian. And from his stats, he has nothing to learn in that league if it's not the rest of his play which I have no clue where he is at.
It would be awesome to see him selected and come across the pond for 2 years in the CHL. What is the Saskatoon Blades Euro situation?

Old
06-24-2012, 09:21 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
It would be awesome to see him selected and come across the pond for 2 years in the CHL. What is the Saskatoon Blades Euro situation?
Saskatoon, Kamloops, Chicoutimi or Sarnia works for me.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fregus View Post

Very small sample, but skating reminds me of Gomez... whine all you want about Gomez, but his skating is awesome, no effort.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Et le But

Quote:
You see, when "needs to hit the gym" is the biggest weakness a prospect has, I'm excited. While it's great getting guys who are built like a tank as opposed to the second coming of Beniot Pouliot, bulking up to some degree is usually possible, especially for kids those age. Everyone talks about how they could grow another inch or so, but more importantly many of these guys will fill out. Especially for a lot of these European prospects who aren't huge lifters since it's less of a priority, surround them with North American gym rats and you can see the difference.

It's like Timmins said about Collberg..he's never going to be built like Yakupov but he has the frame to reach NHL-level bulk. I think it's better to gamble on that then hope that a 17 year old man beast isn't only dominating because he's physically advanced for his age only for his peers to catch up to him.

This team needs size yes, but it also desperately needed skill, and this draft did an amazing job addressing that.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:30 AM
NotProkofievian

Good stuff, Timmins.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:49 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You see, when "needs to hit the gym" is the biggest weakness a prospect has, I'm excited. While it's great getting guys who are built like a tank as opposed to the second coming of Beniot Pouliot, bulking up to some degree is usually possible, especially for kids those age. Everyone talks about how they could grow another inch or so, but more importantly many of these guys will fill out. Especially for a lot of these European prospects who aren't huge lifters since it's less of a priority, surround them with North American gym rats and you can see the difference.

It's like Timmins said about Collberg..he's never going to be built like Yakupov but he has the frame to reach NHL-level bulk. I think it's better to gamble on that then hope that a 17 year old man beast isn't only dominating because he's physically advanced for his age only for his peers to catch up to him.

This team needs size yes, but it also desperately needed skill, and this draft did an amazing job addressing that.
I agree to a certain extent. And I'm not talking about Nystrom here 'cause I simply don' tknow. But some people, as hard as they work, will never be strong enough to make it. There is a limit to what some bodies can take without "extra" help. See, you look at a guy like Mark MacMillan for example, and you know that this 160lbs was workable. He had the frame, the size to work it out. Will never be 220lbs, but has a frame to work around 190 lbs. But others won't be able.

As far as skills vs size is concerned, I agree. I have nothing against this draft 'cause we TOTALLY gave the skills up front that we didn't have. But at one point, we will also need to complement it with size and grit whether it's through UFA or trades. We will have no choice. But again, that has nothing to do with Nystrom at all. As of now, he seems to be another late euro that Timmins goes for. And let say since 2006, we have NO sucess with that whatsoever. Though, Pribyl seems promising. And we'll see about Nystrom. While we say the Nystrom pick, we thought of Westin who we didn't sign. Yet, from people who have seen both players play, they say it's nothing like Westin as Nystrom is more skilled and faster. All that while being younger. So it is promising as well.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Et le But

Well, I agree, and yes the focus on FAs and trades right now should be for size and strength - especially on the back end, though anywhere we can get it. No point in rushing prospects for bit roles.

Like everyone else, I don't know much about Nystrom. The fact that he has been ignored draft-wise when MODO is a development hotbed makes me skeptical he's the next Datsyuk. But he sounds a lot more promising than Westin who was always a bit of a hard working plug type. Even if this guy would be another grinder at the NHL level his hands and skating are already far better than Westin. And I think Westin would have been taken seriously if he was a little taller.

At the very least I'm happy to see them increasingly taking scouting Sweden seriously.

Last edited by Et le But: 06-24-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old
06-24-2012, 11:39 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
So Hargrove destroys the USHL with his fighting and add some points to his resume....great. See, we have a guy like that. His name is Andrew Conboy. Totally DESTROYED the USHL in every of his fights, and had his share of points as well. Then, Conboy who probably never lost a fight in his life knew what fighting is all about in the pros and looks awful doing it. And then, we are still wondering if he'll ever be playing role in the AHL. Mind you, not entirely his fault if he was injured. Yet, not my point. We drafted a guy like that. And it doesn't mean he will pan out and let's compare every tough guys that has points to Lucic please. And we have Ian Schultz as well with the same pedigree. So please.
You missed the point but it is irrelevant anyway.

The point isnt Colton Hargrove or Eric Nystrom. The point is that we have way too many small prospects who we are HOPING might be able to make it to the NHL and are hoping that they hit the weight room and might become strong enough to play against physical NHL players.

Boston saw something that they liked in Hargrove. As much as I hate to say this, Boston, under the guidance of Chiarelli have gone for size and physicality and have been more successful than the Habs.

But anyway, its irrelevant since its done.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Habbadasher

Quote:
OK. Remember that name. Colton Hargrove. And we can compare him to Erik Nystrom in a few years.

Lest you forget, we already have a lot of undersized prospects at forward.
You raise interesting points to ponder, this is a discussion board and varied opinions are needed, or there is nothing to discuss.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:45 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
You missed the point but it is irrelevant anyway.

The point isnt Colton Hargrove or Eric Nystrom. The point is that we have way too many small prospects who we are HOPING might be able to make it to the NHL and are hoping that they hit the weight room and might become strong enough to play against physical NHL players.

Boston saw something that they liked in Hargrove. As much as I hate to say this, Boston, under the guidance of Chiarelli have gone for size and physicality and have been more successful than the Habs.

But anyway, its irrelevant since its done.
Clearly Boston and Habs have a different philosophy about players to target. I've envied them for too long. I hope that stops.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:
I'd say that a move to NA already next year is very unlikely. He and a few other junior players will be on the senior squad for the summer and will see some serious ice time during the pre-season games, I actually like his chances of making the final team. Plus, his girlfriend is still in high school.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Et le But

For what it's worth, Nystrom was as productive on the Modo first team as first rounder Henrik Samuelsson was (that doesn't say much, but still), and more productive on the U-20 team.

Obviously very different players (We could have used a guy like Samuelsson, though I'm still amazed he was drafted before Collberg), but interesting nonetheless.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
SouthernHab does make a point to ponder- we do have 1000 guys 5'11" 185 pounds. How many more do we need? You always need a tough physical player to add balance for the smaller skilled players. Do we have enough? I'm concerned.
In the later rounds you definitely need to draft BPA if you think one of these guys can be an NHLer.

There might be only 2 or 3 NHLers in that 6th round, maybe none. Big gritty canadian players were scouted A LOT so if any of them is left by then its doubtful they amount to anything. Smallish unknown swedish prospects however can turn out to be NHLers, or never leave Europe. Many teams probably did not notice him and the Habs knew it, hence why they waited so long to pick him.

In the end who cares if the guy is small, if he turns out to be a good prospect out of nowere thats one more asset the Habs can use. Much more valuable than a grinder that can't crack the AHL.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
For what it's worth, Nystrom was as productive on the Modo first team as first rounder Henrik Samuelsson was (that doesn't say much, but still), and more productive on the U-20 team.

Obviously very different players (We could have used a guy like Samuelsson, though I'm still amazed he was drafted before Collberg), but interesting nonetheless.
Ask any Modo fan and they'll say Nyström outperformed Samuelsson by a large margin, the only one who prefered Henrik seemed to be his father. Though, I don't think we ever got to see the real Hank in Modo.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:18 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

They also have Peter Forsberg & Marcus Naslund helping the young players at Modo (Nystrom & Samuelson) so The Habs scout, and Forsberg+Naslund will be communicating with Timmins apparantly. (As per his scrum)

Closed Thread