HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Help me build the ultimate pc (on a budget)!

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Kerberos*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Help me build the ultimate pc (on a budget)!

I've decided on the following:
Motherboard: Asus A8V deluxe
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 S939
Memory: Corsair 400 MHZ DDR 512 MB

Still undecided on the case, power supply etc. Help?

Old
01-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Douggy

If you're in Canada, www.ncix.com and www.tigerdirect.ca are your best bets for online stuff.

Is you're MoBo SATA compliant? What about AGP vs. PCI-Express?

Old
01-02-2005, 02:20 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
What're you looking for in a case? Just any kind of case? Low noise? Good cooling?
Don't cheap out on a power supply. Get a good one from Enermax or a reputable company. 400W should be sufficient unless you're planning to run a RAID 5.

What else do you want in this system? DVD burner? Monitor?

What's your budget?

Old
01-02-2005, 02:33 AM
DeleteThisAccount

Absolutely right on the power supply note. I usually go with Antec, they haven't failed me yet. Slightly more expensive than then "economy" brands, though, but quite reliable.

Another good site is http://www.newegg.com/ but I don't know how it is from a Canadian perspective. Those 939/940 processors are more expensive than the 754 ones, too, but not too bad anymore.

Old
01-02-2005, 03:09 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

I have the same mobo, in an Antec Super Lanboy case. It's not tremendously quiet or anything, but it's not bad for a smaller case, and the ventilation seems good enough. It's not too expensive, and it's easy to lug around if you need to (it comes with a carrying strap).

It's a little cramped inside, a few items were a tight squeeze, but everything fits. he only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did is a front firewire port.

Old
01-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Kerberos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
If you're in Canada, www.ncix.com and www.tigerdirect.ca are your best bets for online stuff.

Is you're MoBo SATA compliant? What about AGP vs. PCI-Express?
SATA compliant but not PCI Express. Should I wait until DDR2 and PCI Express are available before buying a computer?

Old
01-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Kerberos*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
What're you looking for in a case? Just any kind of case? Low noise? Good cooling?
Don't cheap out on a power supply. Get a good one from Enermax or a reputable company. 400W should be sufficient unless you're planning to run a RAID 5.

What else do you want in this system? DVD burner? Monitor?

What's your budget?
The case, I want a cheap one. I was looking at an antec truepower 430 power supply though. Although it is on the expensive side and I am not sure as to the noise level (noise level is very important for me).

My budget for hardware, including monitor (CRT) is 1000$ and I'm willing to live with a simple DVD player.

Old
01-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Douggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battousai
Another good site is http://www.newegg.com/ but I don't know how it is from a Canadian perspective. Those 939/940 processors are more expensive than the 754 ones, too, but not too bad anymore.
NewEgg is definately the best site on the web, but its useless to Canadians unless they have an american shipping address.

Old
01-02-2005, 08:43 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus
SATA compliant but not PCI Express. Should I wait until DDR2 and PCI Express are available before buying a computer?
PCI Express is already available. Check out the NForce4 motherboards.

Power supplies don't contribute a lot towards noise. It's the hard drives, CD drives and fans all spinning that contribute to it mostly. Cheap cases are generally not that great with noise, especially if you have a couple 80 mm fans and a few hard drives in your case. If noise is a big concern for you, it might be good to invest a little more in a case and see if you can find one that has mounts for 120mm fans. They don't have to spin as fast as the traditional 80mm fans to push out air so they aren't as loud.

Closed Thread