HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Complete: Ode to the 5'10 Center

Old
06-23-2012, 08:44 PM
cgf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
Do you guys think heard can crack the lineup next season since he's an overager?
Could, but Malone had a strong camp last year and is more polished, so is more likely to get a crack at the NHL, first provided he has another good training camp, if we don't go get a vet 4th line C.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:47 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Could, but Malone had a strong camp last year and is more polished, so is more likely to get a crack at the NHL, first provided he has another good training camp, if we don't go get a vet 4th line C.
Yeah true I guess. Training camp is full of surprises so I kinda have a feeling heard will make the roster right away

TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:48 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
All this talk about brothers reuniting this weekend with the Staal's and the Schenn's, well we have future brother-in-law's uniting with Colin Smith and Kieran Millan.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
All this talk about brothers reuniting this weekend with the Staal's and the Schenn's, well we have future brother-in-law's uniting with Colin Smith and Kieran Millan.
You want Yan and Cal?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Let's go get mini Hunny as well!

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
This draft once again shows Avs draft BPA. Otherwise it's hard to see them get five forwards.

Perhaps with our prospect pool being filled with good goalies and defenders, the Avs scouts focused a little bit extra on forwards this year.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:58 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
Do you guys think heard can crack the lineup next season since he's an overager?
nope, something weird would have to happen or he would have to be just a absolute beast to crack the lineup next year. 2-3 years i could see it after moves and him developing.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Hans Landaskog

I'm not a fan of Ribeiro at all, and the Caps are my 2nd team, so I'm not just saying that out of spite.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:11 AM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
nope, something weird would have to happen or he would have to be just a absolute beast to crack the lineup next year. 2-3 years i could see it after moves and him developing.
Got to agree, I would imagine that Heard will start in the AHL because of his age.

From what I read Heard's work ethic is O'Reilly level and he is a bit of a tough guy so I wouldn't be too shocked to see the kid get some 4th line minutes in the NHL as potentially an injury callup. Other than Malone we really don't have a guy that is suited to play 4th line callup minutes down in LEM. All our other potential callups are more suited to be top 6 minute guys like Sgarbossa, Hishon and Olver.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:22 AM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
I wonder if Mitchell Heard will crack the Avs roster out of training camp. Or compete for a spot at least.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

On a side note: Mike Winther, welcome to Boston Toronto Colorado Washington Dallas!

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:12 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Here is Dater talking to Pracey.

Quote:
Rick Pracey said it was pure coincidence the Avalanche drafted five forwards who all primarily play center, and that all play in two Canadian major junior leagues.

"It wasn't by design," the Avalanche chief scout said Saturday, chuckling. "It was just how our list went."
On Heard,
Quote:
"He was a player that we clearly targeted. We believe he's a skilled player, highly competitive. He sort of got our attention late last year," Pracey said. " We think he stands up for his teammates. His compete is high."
Of Bourke,
Quote:
Pracey said: "We like his instincts. We feel he fits the criteria of a hockey player. He needs to get stronger, but we like his compete level and we think he projects to be an NHL player."

Michael Clarke,
Quote:
"We see him as as a reliable two-way guy," Pracey said. "He's good on faceoffs."

"I think if there's one theme of the kids we got, it's that they are extra motivated," Pracey said. "Some of these players have been told they're too small, but we believe they will have something to prove and work harder than many others."

Denverpost

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Hans Landaskog

It's funny that Colin Smith had the best stats and was drafted last.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:21 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

One trend I see in this draft, and maybe it wasn't by design, but 4 of the 5 guys are more goal scoring type than setup guys.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Kloparren
Hth

It's a bit sad when a decent size like 5'10 is considered too small in the NHL now...that wouldn't have held back a team from taking a chance 4-5 yrs ago.

Also I don't believe him that it's a coincidence that they're all from WHL/OHL...he clearly went with his/CHL scouts' opinions.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:49 PM
SnipShow

vCash: 121
Diehard Whalers and Avs fan here. I go to almost every Plymouth Whalers and I have consistently watched Mitchell Heard for the past few seasons with the Whalers. Here is my two cents on Heard:

Just to clarify Heard is 6'2" 190. He put on quite some size over the last few years and he has taken full advantage.

Heard is a solid skater with pretty good hands. He is an extremely competitive and plays big in big moments. He is a pretty fearless player and will get into the dirty areas to score. He is also pretty fearless when it comes to fighting, Heard fought some much bigger players and held is own every time. I wouldn't say he is a natural fighter but he throws a lot of punches and has won more fights then he lost. What I like about his fighting this year was the fact that he never used to fight. This year he wanted to get noticed and get drafted so he played tougher and did what took to get drafted.

Heard strengths: Heard is a very good at face offs he was voted as the Western Conference at best at face offs. Something that I haven't really seen talked about Heard is his shot. He has a very good wrist shot and he can bury the puck well. He played the point a lot on the power play this year because of it. One thing I like about Heard is that he does whatever the teams needs him for. I have watched Heard go from more of a finesse forward to an all around player that every team loves to have.

I would say that Heard could get a little better with his skating and he could get better at his board play down low. Heard also sometimes try to make the big play and coughs up the puck but all of this can easily be refined.

I would say Heard projects as our 3rd line center or 4th line Center. He has a very good chance to be in the NHL in a year or two. I don't know what they plan on doing with Heard but he could use his overage year in Plymouth and a year in the AHL IMO.

SnipShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:06 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
It's a bit sad when a decent size like 5'10 is considered too small in the NHL now...that wouldn't have held back a team from taking a chance 4-5 yrs ago.

Also I don't believe him that it's a coincidence that they're all from WHL/OHL...he clearly went with his/CHL scouts' opinions.
since when was 5-10 not considered small? under 6' ft has been considered small for many years and as the athletes have gotten bigger and bigger the desire for size has increased.
that's why fans get so frustrated with guys like Joe Thorton who can impose his will on the game and dominate with his size but doesn't.

it's not knocking a player to say 5-10 is on the small side. a player's frame can also dictate if they appear small or not, being about to hold 190-205 lbs at 5-10 can offset the height issue a bit and the player can still thrive.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipShow View Post
Diehard Whalers and Avs fan here. I go to almost every Plymouth Whalers and I have consistently watched Mitchell Heard for the past few seasons with the Whalers. Here is my two cents on Heard:

Just to clarify Heard is 6'2" 190. He put on quite some size over the last few years and he has taken full advantage.

Heard is a solid skater with pretty good hands. He is an extremely competitive and plays big in big moments. He is a pretty fearless player and will get into the dirty areas to score. He is also pretty fearless when it comes to fighting, Heard fought some much bigger players and held is own every time. I wouldn't say he is a natural fighter but he throws a lot of punches and has won more fights then he lost. What I like about his fighting this year was the fact that he never used to fight. This year he wanted to get noticed and get drafted so he played tougher and did what took to get drafted.

Heard strengths: Heard is a very good at face offs he was voted as the Western Conference at best at face offs. Something that I haven't really seen talked about Heard is his shot. He has a very good wrist shot and he can bury the puck well. He played the point a lot on the power play this year because of it. One thing I like about Heard is that he does whatever the teams needs him for. I have watched Heard go from more of a finesse forward to an all around player that every team loves to have.

I would say that Heard could get a little better with his skating and he could get better at his board play down low. Heard also sometimes try to make the big play and coughs up the puck but all of this can easily be refined.

I would say Heard projects as our 3rd line center or 4th line Center. He has a very good chance to be in the NHL in a year or two. I don't know what they plan on doing with Heard but he could use his overage year in Plymouth and a year in the AHL IMO.
Awesome thanks for the info.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Heard sounds like Jarret Stoll.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:06 PM
billybobjoe1881

Troy Bourke is one hell of a player on the very s***ty Prince George Cougars. Put him on a good WHL team and he'd put up some nice numbers.

billybobjoe1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I've been reading nothing but good things written about Bourke (from before the draft) but does anyone have some good vids of our prospects?

Btw, came across this funny vid from the CHL prospects game. It's the 2nd rounder Minnesota took this yr fighting their 1st rounder (Dumba):

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:46 AM
AvsWraith

When asked if they were considering anyone from Europe, Pracey responded:

"What the hell is a Europe?"

AvsWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:32 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Seems to be a few projects picked here, no-one really to give an immediate impact this season.
Well, duh. You don't go in to drafts looking for an immediate impact - especially a draft with no first rounder. The Ryan O'Reillys are very far and few in between.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:35 AM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Of Bourke,
It's very comforting to know that we are at the very least taking only draft picks that fit the criteria of hockey player.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:13 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
I like the pick of Heard and Bourke.

Heard seems to project to be a good fit for a bottom 6 role. Given the fact he's 20 as well the Avs probably won't have to wait as long for the pick to pay its dividends.

Bourke seems like he could possible become a top 9 winger. It sounds like he'll take a longer time to develop due to his stature and the fact he seems to play on a very bad team. I can see him being a similar prospect to Olver, not in terms of style, but in terms of long term potential and development time.

The Smith pick is interesting to me. He has great stats for a 7th round pick, which leads me to believe there must be a rather large flaw in his game or character.

The rest of the picks I think are really long term hit-or-miss projects. I wouldn't be surprised if Bourke and Heard are the only one who make it to Lake Erie from this draft.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote