HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

11'/12' Offseason /Trades/Signings: Burke's New Move?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2012, 02:04 PM
  #876
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
for anyone that hasnt heard, Matt Rupert (Ryan Ruperts twin) has accept an invite to attend the Leafs Rookie Camp
Clearly a novelty move.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:05 PM
  #877
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Those are very narrow definitions, no? What about a goaltender that has a .914 save percentage, but shoulders the load of the team, and makes timely saves? Fleury doesn't usually carry a .915 save percentage, yet 21 other goaltenders this year did. Is he not a #1 goaltender? I wouldn't label Theodore, Niemi, Howard, Giguere, or some of the others stars, and I couldn't support the notion that the NHL as 21 star goaltenders.

What about forwards? If you have a 40 goal scorer who generates his own offense because of his linemates' inabilities (resulting in maybe 25-30 assists), that puts him well below a PPG despite being a 40 goal scorer. I'd still say he's a top line forward, but not necessarily a star.

Everyone falls on a gradient, and stars are simply upper-end #1 forwards/defensemen/goaltenders.
You're just being ridiculous now.

C'mon on. Seriously, .914 save %? Christ yeah, if he does that, he is a #1. .915-.920 isn't some specific range where you HAVE to be in there to be a #1 but generally, a #1 goaltender will put up those save % because a #1 goaltender is really good.

And I am not talking specifically about just one season. You need multiple seasons and consistently to be truly called a 1st line forward or top pairing defense men or goaltender.

Also, I used the word "can" because a guy isn't going to be PPG every year because as you said, it can depend on the ability of your teammates. Kessel as an example a couple years ago put up 64 points but if you watched, you knew he was a legitimate top line forward because guys around him weren't any good and you knew he can had the ability to put up PPG+ with better players and we saw him do that this season. You can say the same about Nash. You are taking it too literally as if it HAS to be in the range I was talking about.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:06 PM
  #878
IWD
Playoff-hardened
 
IWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Spain
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post


It's okay to differ in opinion. Really, it is. It doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong. It's not like we're arguing fact here.

Someone who is so persistent on them right in a situation like this, usually means they're extremely insecure. I should know, I was just as bad as you when I was younger, and I can assure you that I was very insecure.

I'll leave it at that.
Well, it's good that you can admit your insecurities, but some things evidently continue to linger. We were having a discussion, I asked for an opinion about experts, and you started veering this into a personal attacks and condescension. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. And it most certainly is a fact that players fall on a gradient.

Your willingness to compromise lies more in the inability to refute that players, and indeed all life, fall within a gradient than some gracious diplomacy. Funny how quick you changed your tune, but the pride of saving face continues.

IWD is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:08 PM
  #879
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I posted a link yesterday that included some comments about Kadri from Eakins and those seemed to indicate that their patience with him is running out so I could easily see him being included in a deal.

Here is the link (scroll down to the second section):


http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/22...speedy-defence
Yeah, and more than a few posters informed you that thi kind of talk is par for the course, and wanting Kadri traded is clouding your ability to see that this isn't what you're making it out to be.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:09 PM
  #880
dubplatepressure
Registered User
 
dubplatepressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
What colchar was talking about;

Its up to him now. Weve given him the necessary information. He know he needs to get stronger, he needs another step and he knows the rules that are in place for his game when hes on the ice. Hell either accept those and become a very good NHL player or he wont accept them and move on somewhere else.
huh... interesting. I guess its do or die time for Kadri. I tend to agree, he needs to enter camp this fall stronger.

dubplatepressure is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:15 PM
  #881
IWD
Playoff-hardened
 
IWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Spain
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
You keep telling yourself that.

I hope, for your sake, that someday you become aware that you really don't know when you're correct, when to make a compromise, and when you're incorrect. You should also consider introspection. I went through that stage, and I believe your time has come. I'm not attacking you, like you seem to believe, I'm simply offering you valuable tips for when the real world comes calling.

Oh, and saying that I'm incorrect is not legitimate criticism, it's you not willing to be wrong. Which is fine, because that comes with maturity.

I wish you all the best in life's endeavors.
I appreciate the feedback, and have already gone through my own introspective period. It has allowed me to better understand how individuals think, and to better empathize with others. You'll see what I mean once you start to better respect yourself. Best of luck with your journey, my friend. Don't give up. You'll find ups and downs, but once you go through that introspection, I guarantee you'll come out a better person.

IWD is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:16 PM
  #882
91Kadri91
Registered User
 
91Kadri91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Well, it's good that you can admit your insecurities, but some things evidently continue to linger. We were having a discussion, I asked for an opinion about experts, and you started veering this into a personal attacks and condescension. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. And it most certainly is a fact that players fall on a gradient.

Your willingness to compromise lies more in the inability to refute that players, and indeed all life, fall within a gradient than some gracious diplomacy. Funny how quick you changed your tune, but the pride of saving face continues.
I really don't care anymore.

I enjoy informative conversations, ones in which I may learn a thing or two, and in the end may consider my original opinion and think I may have been wrong. This certainly isn't one of those conversations.

I'll say whatever helps you sleep at night, because this is honestly one of the worst arguments (if that's what you want to call it) I've ever had.

Do you want to be right? Fine, you're right. My opinion holds no value, and I'm unable to properly analyze facts which have apparently been presented. You are a true Hero, and contain vast knowledge of everything, making it impossible for you to ever be wrong. I'm blessed by your presence; I'm truly not worthy. Thank-you for informing me of my own personal issues which I so clearly have, and what I said of you was based more on my jealousy than any of your own faults as you contain no faults. Everything that has transpired is at my fault, and should not be blamed on you. I will justly receive any condescending remarks that should follow. I am just an insecure, insignificant man behind a computer screen. I simply cannot stress your greatness enough.

Is that what you want to hear? I will seriously say anything if we can stop having this absolutely meaningless argument.

91Kadri91 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:19 PM
  #883
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
You two are killing this thread. PM that $*!@ or just stop.

Sorry, but you're killing the vibe in the thread with nonsense.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:19 PM
  #884
dimi78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I posted a link yesterday that included some comments about Kadri from Eakins and those seemed to indicate that their patience with him is running out so I could easily see him being included in a deal.

Here is the link (scroll down to the second section):


http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/22...speedy-defence
I could see why this could be miscrunstrued.... This was Eakins being a straight shooter nothing more. Did he say that the patience is running thin or that they're not willing to wait and see for Kadri to do what is asked of him before moving him?

Anybody could be traded it all depends on the return like all trades but I would guaranty one thing if Kadri is traded something really good is coming the Leafs way and I'm not talking Stastny think bigger in the form of a Getzlaf type of talent to trade a talent like Kadri before he develops his physical strength.

All through the year Eakins has been of high praise of Kadri commenting how he has alot of time for Kadri lets not forget about that shall we.

dimi78 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:20 PM
  #885
91Kadri91
Registered User
 
91Kadri91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
I appreciate the feedback, and have already gone through my own introspective period. It has allowed me to better understand how individuals think, and to better empathize with others. You'll see what I mean once you start to better respect yourself. Best of luck with your journey, my friend. Don't give up. You'll find ups and downs, but once you go through that introspection, I guarantee you'll come out a better person.
Okay, sure, you're right.

I will work to go through an introspective process that will lead me to becoming a better person. I regret anything I've said about you as it's simply untrue, and based on my own personal identity problems which I will work out as I continue to mature. I will try my best to notice these issues in the future, and resolve them.

Now can we please get back to talking hockey?

91Kadri91 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:21 PM
  #886
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
I could see why this could be miscrunstrued.... This was Eakins being a straight shooter nothing more. Did he say that the patience is running thing or that they're not willing to wait and see for Kadri to do what is asked of him before moving him?

Anybody could be traded it all depends on the return like all trades but I would guaranty one thing if Kadri is traded something really good is coming the Leafs way and I'm not talking Stastny think bigger in the form of a Getzlaf type of talent to trade a talent like Kadri before he develops his physical strength.

All through the year Eakins has been of high praise of Kadri commenting how he has alot of time for Kadri lets not forget about that shall we.
People will always see/read/hear what they want to, not necessarily what's there.

This is one of those times.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:23 PM
  #887
91Kadri91
Registered User
 
91Kadri91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
You two are killing this thread. PM that $*!@ or just stop.

Sorry, but you're killing the vibe in the thread with nonsense.
Sorry, I'm aware.

The blame should be placed on me. I unjustly attacked personal issues that I manufactured to make myself feel more secure.

It won't happen again.

So... how about this second trade that was supposed to happen? I'm still waiting Hendricks.

91Kadri91 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:28 PM
  #888
Cor
GOAT Poster
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,176
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Clearly a novelty move.
I like the Ruperts, i think if they work hard, they could be solid on a 3rd line for us. Add in Brad Ross and thats a line that can play good hockey, and piss they hell off of other teams.

I don't the Ruperts develop into that, but boy would it be nice

Cor is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:29 PM
  #889
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
Sorry, I'm aware.

The blame should be placed on me. I unjustly attacked personal issues that I manufactured to make myself feel more secure.

It won't happen again.

So... how about this second trade that was supposed to happen? I'm still waiting Hendricks.
Naa man, you don't have to talk like that, this isn't Dr.Phil, and frankly, buddy acting like he's some kind of paychologist made him less likeable.

Either way, I believe something is going down, but we're kind of in the dark, with no details. Unlike other times, we don't have rampant speculation and huge build-up from twitter and other sources, and in this case, that might be a good thing. Quiet should always be questioned.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:31 PM
  #890
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
I like the Ruperts, i think if they work hard, they could be solid on a 3rd line for us. Add in Brad Ross and thats a line that can play good hockey, and piss they hell off of other teams.

I don't the Ruperts develop into that, but boy would it be nice
Matt Rupert isn't a good hockey player. He shouldn't be at camp, though it's not costing us anything, so why not.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:32 PM
  #891
IWD
Playoff-hardened
 
IWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Spain
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
I really don't care anymore.

I enjoy informative conversations, ones in which I may learn a thing or two, and in the end may consider my original opinion and think I may have been wrong. This certainly isn't one of those conversations.

I'll say whatever helps you sleep at night, because this is honestly one of the worst arguments (if that's what you want to call it) I've ever had.

Do you want to be right? Fine, you're right. My opinion holds no value, and I'm unable to properly analyze facts which have apparently been presented. You are a true Hero, and contain vast knowledge of everything, making it impossible for you to ever be wrong. I'm blessed by your presence; I'm truly not worthy. Thank-you for informing me of my own personal issues which I so clearly have, and what I said of you was based more on my jealousy than any of your own faults as you contain no faults. Everything that has transpired is at my fault, and should not be blamed on you. I will justly receive any condescending remarks that should follow. I am just an insecure, insignificant man behind a computer screen. I simply cannot stress your greatness enough.

Is that what you want to hear? I will seriously say anything if we can stop having this absolutely meaningless argument.
Well, it's quite simple. Really, it is. I'm paraphrasing, but you stated that most hockey minds define a #1 defenseman as a star. I asked you to provide an example of one of those hockey minds. You then spun my words and implied I was suggesting Phaneuf was somehow a star, and asked me to find a hockey mind that suggested exactly that. I called you out on it, and on came the ad hominem attacks.

To suggest insecurity in myself is just plain silly. It's about standing up to cyberbullying. I'm not going to let you save face simply by letting your attempt to bully go unresponded to. You keep saying how worthless this discussion is, yet here you are, continuing to attack and condescend. Actions speak a lot louder than words, and your actions scream insecurity, immaturity, and anxiety disorder.

IWD is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:34 PM
  #892
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 500
Justin Schultz becomes a free agent in less than 9 hours.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:36 PM
  #893
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Justin Schultz becomes a free agent in less than 9 hours.
I wonder if we will know the front runners then. Everything has been so hush-hush until now.

Beleafer4 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:37 PM
  #894
91Kadri91
Registered User
 
91Kadri91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Naa man, you don't have to talk like that, this isn't Dr.Phil, and frankly, buddy acting like he's some kind of paychologist made him less likeable.

Either way, I believe something is going down, but we're kind of in the dark, with no details. Unlike other times, we don't have rampant speculation and huge build-up from twitter and other sources, and in this case, that might be a good thing. Quiet should always be questioned.
To be fair, I kind of started that whole psychologist thing by claiming he was insecure. It was my pathetic attempt at finishing the conversation so we wouldn't fill this thread our own personal differences. It obviously didn't work, and I certainly take part of the responsibility for what occurred. Anyways, it's over, so let's start talking hockey again.

I also think something has to be going down. There's no reason for Hendrick to say that something is going down when it's not. He works for MLSE, is always on Leafs TV, and does a number of interviews. Fan respect is very important to him, given his job, so I don't know why he'd risk fan respect if he weren't certain something was going to happen.

I'm interested to hear what, exactly, is going down though.

91Kadri91 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:38 PM
  #895
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Well, it's quite simple. Really, it is. I'm paraphrasing, but you stated that most hockey minds define a #1 defenseman as a star. I asked you to provide an example of one of those hockey minds. You then spun my words and implied I was suggesting Phaneuf was somehow a star, and asked me to find a hockey mind that suggested exactly that. I called you out on it, and on came the ad hominem attacks.

To suggest insecurity in myself is just plain silly. It's about standing up to cyberbullying. I'm not going to let you save face simply by letting your attempt to bully go unresponded to. You keep saying how worthless this discussion is, yet here you are, continuing to attack and condescend. Actions speak a lot louder than words, and your actions scream insecurity, immaturity, and anxiety disorder.
Hey Dr.Phil, why don't you either all of the dogs, and stop acting like a condescending, know-it-all jerk, or PM that garbage.

You aren't a professional pscho-analyst, and acting like one is gaining you any favour.

Your narcissism, and unrelenting badgering scream of your own insecurities. If anything, you both have work to do.

In the most polite way possible, talk hockey, or can it, please.

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:39 PM
  #896
91Kadri91
Registered User
 
91Kadri91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
Well, it's quite simple. Really, it is. I'm paraphrasing, but you stated that most hockey minds define a #1 defenseman as a star. I asked you to provide an example of one of those hockey minds. You then spun my words and implied I was suggesting Phaneuf was somehow a star, and asked me to find a hockey mind that suggested exactly that. I called you out on it, and on came the ad hominem attacks.

To suggest insecurity in myself is just plain silly. It's about standing up to cyberbullying. I'm not going to let you save face simply by letting your attempt to bully go unresponded to. You keep saying how worthless this discussion is, yet here you are, continuing to attack and condescend. Actions speak a lot louder than words, and your actions scream insecurity, immaturity, and anxiety disorder.
DROP IT!

Seriously, if you have any complaints or are really in an arguing mood, just PM me or something. This thread is for trades, signing and hockey speculation. It's not for out personal battles. We shouldn't be filling up the thread with this nonsense.

If you want to talk about this then PM, otherwise start talking hockey.

91Kadri91 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:39 PM
  #897
IWD
Playoff-hardened
 
IWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Spain
Posts: 4,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
Okay, sure, you're right.

I will work to go through an introspective process that will lead me to becoming a better person. I regret anything I've said about you as it's simply untrue, and based on my own personal identity problems which I will work out as I continue to mature. I will try my best to notice these issues in the future, and resolve them.

Now can we please get back to talking hockey?
Gladly. A simple f off through PM would have been preferred.

I'll tell you what, we leave the barbs and condescension (on both sides) out, and show eachother mutual respect from here on in. I much prefer to talk hockey, than spar with someone I've never met (unless its politics).

I'd like to see a Wilson-like player brought in, but I'm curious about Colborne. Perhaps the need for size can be addressed from within. I remember Kadri being touted as Kessel's future playmaker, and hope than perhaps JVR can be the size on the top line, and Kadri end up the center. I'm not so sure that we're far from a deep run.

I think, really, goaltending is the only question mark. I just feel comfortable with a ten year Luongo contract. What if Reimer bounces back, and outcompetes Lu? Or Scrivens becomes a #1? We're stuck with a huge cap hit.

IWD is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:41 PM
  #898
91Kadri91
Registered User
 
91Kadri91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Justin Schultz becomes a free agent in less than 9 hours.
I'm under the impression that he can't actually sign until July 1st, but can start negotiating at midnight.

Is that correct?

91Kadri91 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:41 PM
  #899
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I wonder if we will know the front runners then. Everything has been so hush-hush until now.
The whole thing is curious and intriguing to me. What went wrong in Anaheim that made the young man not want to sign with them? We've heard multiple theories and rumors, but nothing that is completely certain. It's not like free agency will offer him any additonal money. He has to sign an ELC regardless. Its not like there was a logjam for playing time in Anaheim either. It's all very strange.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:42 PM
  #900
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
I'm under the impression that he can't actually sign until July 1st, but can start negotiating at midnight.

Is that correct?
Negotiate Monday, sign July 1.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.