HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grading the Blue Jackets at the 2012 Draft

View Poll Results: Rating the 2012 Draft
A 11 13.10%
B 57 67.86%
C 10 11.90%
D 5 5.95%
F 1 1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Cash for Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
In your opinion, how did the Jackets do at the draft, overall?

Trading picks #45 and #117, plus a 2013 fourth round pick for G Sergei Bobrovsky

1st round, 2nd overall: D Ryan Murray, 6'1", 200lbs, Everett Silvertips (WHL)
2nd round, 31st overall: G Oskar Dansk, 6'2", 187lbs Brynas Jr (Sweden Junior)
3rd round, 62nd overall: G Joonas Korpisalo, 6'2", 172lbs Jokerit Jr (Finland Junior)
4th round, 95th overall: RW Josh Anderson, 6'2", 189, London Knights (OHL)
6th round, 152nd overall, RW Daniel Zaar, 5'11", 167lbs, Rogle Jr (Sweden Junior)
7th round, 182nd overall, D Gianluca Curcuruto, 6'0", 195lbs, Sault St. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)

I'll be updating some scouting reports on all of these players over on the prospects thread over the course of the next couple of days, as I compile them from my colleagues across the pond.

If you would like to elaborate on your vote (maybe adding an A+ or B-), go for it ... I didn't feel it necessary to have 15 poll options.
C+

Only because I will like we got hoodwinked by for Bobrovsky:

If we would have kept the 45th overall we could have drafted a quality winger.

Naturally Detroit (Frk) and Nashville (Scissons) gobbled em up.

Otherwise, solid I guess.

Cash for Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:57 PM
MattFromFranklin

Murray is going to be a quality player, but I wish Howson would have picked Galchenyuk. Other than that, I think they did a decent job. I'll give them a "B".

It'd be nice if they can find 2 15-20 goal scorers in free agency and give guys like Johansen and Brassard some help.

MattFromFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:03 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count the Cash View Post
Solid B. Not flashy but greatly solidifies our back end.

Hopefully get to watch the "Dansk vs. Korpisalo Show" in the development camp scrimmage.
Whoever has Murray on their team will win.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:08 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

I'm liking the Finnish goalie. Fins are great at developing young goalies and I like Ian Clark and trust Clark alot. Really excited for Dansk and Korpisalo

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:10 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
MPS is MAGNUS PAAJARVI
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475175
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect....htm?dpid=5671

It's really not a bad idea, but it would need a sweetener coming back to the CBJ. Either a roster player or a 2013 pick (bringing this back around to the draft). And as we know, Howson only does NHL trades with 5-6 teams and Edmonton is one of them.
Will be the #1 pick

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
C+

Only because I will like we got hoodwinked by for Bobrovsky:

If we would have kept the 45th overall we could have drafted a quality winger.

Naturally Detroit (Frk) and Nashville (Scissons) gobbled em up.

Otherwise, solid I guess.
Frk and Sissons both come with question marks, and are comparable to the Petr Straka and Dalton Smith picks we made a couple of years ago. Frk is a skilled winger who battles in tight and is known for taking shifts off; and the top potential on Sissons is that of about a third line winger with possible second line spot duty. That's top end.

Instead, we get a 23 year old goaltender who immediately makes Steve Mason expendable, effectively allowing us to completely part ways with him while still keeping a young goaltender on the roster. Bobrovsky is an immediate improvement on Mason, and will help us not only immediately, but for the foreseeable future.

Quality 23 year old goalies don't come along often, and when they do, they typically carry a hefty pricetag. For me, this trade is an immediate win for us, but it could change over time, depending on how Anthony Stolarz, Taylor Leier, and whoever they draft next year with that fourth round pick turn out. Stolarz has huge potential, but he's a bit of a project. I don't see much in Leier, and I see enough of him to know. I really don't think we'll miss those picks in the long run.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Will be the #1 pick
If we can get their first rounder in a deal for Methot, I'll personally fly to Columbus and give Scott Howson a big, wet kiss, right on the lips.

You saw it here first

Old
06-23-2012, 08:23 PM
CBJ103

I give them a B but know that we really won't know for 4 years or so. I based the B on 3 things : 1) Howson didn't try to be smarter than everyone else in the first round by trading back and appears to have taken what he believed to be the BPA 2) At the conclusion of the first round my son told me "They have to take Dansk with the 1st pick tomorrow." He certainly knows more about the prospects than I do. 3) It is now clear that no one with the CBJ considers Steve Mason to still be the longterm answer - and I was beginning/continuing to worry about this.

CBJ103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:42 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Taking out the lack of a Nash trade, which I had really hoped to see done this weekend:

B.

There's just not a ton to hate. Certainly not as exciting as it could have been, but that's not a bad thing.
Pretty much agree. As with many things over the past several years there was nothing in the draft itself to complain about. Sure, we could have gone with Galchenyuk, but we got a solid defenseman who is already capable of playing at a high level--witness the world championships. We finally built organizational depth at a position for the future...although the present is still murky and shows it should have been addressed sooner.

By failing to trade Nash we lost the ability to acquire a pick that we could have used now. By failing to use the Kings pick we have to hope next year we get a better pick out of it, otherwise we have just wasted a year in development.

You start to get the sinking suspicion, however based on Howson's seeming lack of interest in picks this year and given his stance on our goaltending tandem, that the "re-shape" is nothing more than a rebuild and one that is planned to take multiple years. Which is a bit disconcerting. I'm still hoping to be proven wrong.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Knighthammer

Hey guys, sorry to intrude but was just watching the replay of the 2nd day of the draft on NHL Network and Bob MacKenzie talking about Josh Anderson being a D? Completely bogus! Josh has always been a winger for the Knights and nothing else. No idea what he was smoking there before Button somewhat corrected him

Sorry if it had already been mentioned, but when I saw Bob talking about him I had to correct him.

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Frk and Sissons both come with question marks, and are comparable to the Petr Straka and Dalton Smith picks we made a couple of years ago. Frk is a skilled winger who battles in tight and is known for taking shifts off; and the top potential on Sissons is that of about a third line winger with possible second line spot duty. That's top end.

Instead, we get a 23 year old goaltender who immediately makes Steve Mason expendable, effectively allowing us to completely part ways with him while still keeping a young goaltender on the roster. Bobrovsky is an immediate improvement on Mason, and will help us not only immediately, but for the foreseeable future.

Quality 23 year old goalies don't come along often, and when they do, they typically carry a hefty pricetag. For me, this trade is an immediate win for us, but it could change over time, depending on how Anthony Stolarz, Taylor Leier, and whoever they draft next year with that fourth round pick turn out. Stolarz has huge potential, but he's a bit of a project. I don't see much in Leier, and I see enough of him to know. I really don't think we'll miss those picks in the long run.

I am talking about Sergei Bobrovsky the former Flyers goaltender that gave up like 5 goals on 8 shots against the Pens in a playoff game this year.

The same guy who couldn't even beat out Ilya Bryzgalov and the same guy who was benched the year prior in the playoffs for a guy that wasn't even in the NHL for most of the year.

Are you sure we are talking about the same guy that was acquired to be the Jackets netminder next year?

Yes....he might be an improvement over Mason, maybe. But that is like saying Rosie O'Donnel is hotter than Rosanne Barr.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
I am talking about Sergei Bobrovsky the former Flyers goaltender that gave up like 5 goals on 8 shots against the Pens in a playoff game this year.

The same guy who couldn't even beat out Ilya Bryzgalov and the same guy who was benched the year prior in the playoffs for a guy that wasn't even in the NHL for most of the year.

Are you sure we are talking about the same guy that was acquired to be the Jackets netminder next year?

Yes....he might be an improvement over Mason, maybe. But that is like saying Rosie O'Donnel is hotter than Rosanne Barr.
Clearly, you aren't being serious. Marc-Andre Fleury had an 83.4 save percentage and a 4.63 GAA, and his team lost to Bobrovsky's team. So, by your deduction, Marc-Andre Fleury musy be the worst goalie in the NHL, and we would never want a player like that around here.

Ilya Bryzgalov was not signed to a 9 year contract to sit on the bench and watch Sergei Bobrovsky play. By saying that he "couldn't even beat out Bryzgalov", you're saying that the position was his to lose, which is certainly not the case.

I actually watch the games, so I guess it's easier for me to know that playing goal in Philly isn't exactly easy; especially on a team that was decimated by injuries and saw many of their key players go under the knife right after the playoffs ended. Which, surely, was a direct result of Bobrovsky's poor play, as he was terrible while sitting on that bench.

Yes, this post is filled with sarcasm for everyone's enjoyment. On a serious note, I can tell you that there were many more teams that would have paid just as much for Bobrovsky, particularly if they had the same goaltending woes as we have for the last few years. Is he Roberto Luongo? No. But, clearly the price on Luongo is substantial, as the teams inquiring about him aren't paying the price just yet. And, we aren't levied with a 10 year ball and chain ... if Bobrovsky doesn't work out, we finally have some decent prospects in the system.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Clearly, you aren't being serious. Marc-Andre Fleury had an 83.4 save percentage and a 4.63 GAA, and his team lost to Bobrovsky's team. So, by your deduction, Marc-Andre Fleury musy be the worst goalie in the NHL, and we would never want a player like that around here.

Ilya Bryzgalov was not signed to a 9 year contract to sit on the bench and watch Sergei Bobrovsky play. By saying that he "couldn't even beat out Bryzgalov", you're saying that the position was his to lose, which is certainly not the case.

I actually watch the games, so I guess it's easier for me to know that playing goal in Philly isn't exactly easy; especially on a team that was decimated by injuries and saw many of their key players go under the knife right after the playoffs ended. Which, surely, was a direct result of Bobrovsky's poor play, as he was terrible while sitting on that bench.

Yes, this post is filled with sarcasm for everyone's enjoyment. On a serious note, I can tell you that there were many more teams that would have paid just as much for Bobrovsky, particularly if they had the same goaltending woes as we have for the last few years. Is he Roberto Luongo? No. But, clearly the price on Luongo is substantial, as the teams inquiring about him aren't paying the price just yet. And, we aren't levied with a 10 year ball and chain ... if Bobrovsky doesn't work out, we finally have some decent prospects in the system.

Buyer beware....that's all. I agree Luongo is way too pricey.

Bob's save percentage this year was worse than Mason's. That's all.

And while Bryz was brought into start, the Flyers objective is to win games, if they thought Bob could do this better than a struggling Bryz they wouldn't hesitate to put him in there. If any city cares about winning first, it's Philly. And I watch a lot of Flyers games. I realize we are desperate, I just think we are the only team in the league that would pay that kind of price for the dude. That's all. Now lets get Mason out of there....

Old
06-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Matt Foley
Hey Ryan

Incomplete - assigning a grade to these kids now is like handing out grades to students before the school year even starts.

I'll just say that I liked the much-needed attention given to the goaltending situation, along with the fact that Murray could make Methot expendable.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:52 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

We need more drafts like this. It's a solid B, but that's not a bad thing at all. It's about time we started going safe. We are not in the position to be taking risks at this point.

Two high potential, yet somewhat safe goalies. Dansk coming to the CHL next year is awesome. The other goalie *not even going to try and attempt his name* seems to have the physical abilities. That's what you want to see. Skinny, tall goalies are the norm now in the NHL.

Everything else is a roulette wheel. Not worth worrying about. Hopefully it pans out.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I, too, give it a B.

As I have stated before, imho you can't have enough solid D men. If Murray can step right in, then that means other good D prospects get more valuable time in the A to develop. Also provides some possible trade scenarios for O guys.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:29 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

This is great stuff,

Quote:
Clearly, you aren't being serious. By saying that he "couldn't even beat out Bryzgalov", you're saying that the position was his to lose, which is certainly not the case. I actually watch the games, so I guess it's easier for me to know that playing goal in Philly isn't exactly easy. And, we aren't levied with a 10 year ball and chain ... if Bobrovsky doesn't work out, we finally have some decent prospects in the system.
I like the way you think Sore, and Bobrovsky is 20 games over .500, name any other CBJ goalie that has played that well in the NHL. For the first time ever we are icing a decent defense. A bigger concern has got to be "where will the goals come from now?"

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:49 AM
cbj21

A
Possibly best draft ever, filling up the holes from the back and out. Now we know exactly what we need to get for Nash.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:21 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

went B like most of everyone else...

wanted Gally in first just b/c we've never had a legit 1C and I feel he will be...apparently the fired scouts thought the ACL was an issue (guessing)

should have used LA's first and gone Dansk and Frk back to back

we should have gone Griffith instead of Anderson

I don't mind our picks, just had preferences...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:08 AM
Cyclones Rock

It's tough to grade a draft for a few years, but I'll go with a "B+". Murray was ranked #2 by a majority of the raters whom I read, so the Jackets went with a consensus pick. Nothing particularly wrong with that.

Expending a few picks on goalies makes a lot of sense given the dearth of talent/depth in the organization.

The die has been cast for this team as a defense-first squad. So, it made sense to draft what could be a very solid, long term defensive mainstay. The questions about Galenyuk's knee probably solidified the Jackets resolve to go with the consensus #2 pick. It is now incumbent upon the organization to follow up their defensive team strategy with another goalie signing and leave the Mason era for the rear view mirror.

Hopefully Nash (or replacements), Atkinson, Umberger, Brassard, Johansen and Prospal can all play to their potentials and the team eeks out enough goals to be somewhat competitive.

While I prefer an offensive-first style of hockey, it seems that the modern NHL is anything but that. The draft of the Jackets seems in line with the reality of the way the game is played today.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
Possibly best draft ever, filling up the holes from the back and out. Now we know exactly what we need to get for Nash.
Great point. I hadn't really thought about it like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
wanted Gally in first just b/c we've never had a legit 1C and I feel he will be...apparently the fired scouts thought the ACL was an issue (guessing)

should have used LA's first and gone Dansk and Frk back to back

we should have gone Griffith instead of Anderson
We'll do better than Frk with the pick next year ... I think the prospect that we get will be a very highly skilled player.

I think Anderson has a better shot at being a professional player than Griffith; Griffith reminds me a lot of Collin Long, who was drafted by Phoenix a few years back after dominating in the WHL as an 18 year old. Very similar story, very similar player ... he'll likely be a "tweener", a guy who scores at the AHL level, but struggles at the NHL level. In Josh Anderson, we get a guy who's quite a bit bigger, and though he doesn't have the same scoring touch, he has some very nice pro qualities about him.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

just find it funny that a buddy and I both wanted Frk and Athanasiou and they end up in Detroit...that's how it works here...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
just find it funny that a buddy and I both wanted Frk and Athanasiou and they end up in Detroit...that's how it works here...
Detroit has done this huge 180 in recent years. A big part of their alleged late-round advantage was by drafting smart players who would physically develop into NHL players. But with guys like Frk and Athanasiou, plus some of the guys they've drafted in the last three years, it seems like they're drafting guys who have NHL attributes and are hoping they develop the smart/mental side of the game.

We all know how well that's worked previously...Zherdev, Brule, Picard, Fritsche, and many more.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Detroit has done this huge 180 in recent years. A big part of their alleged late-round advantage was by drafting smart players who would physically develop into NHL players. But with guys like Frk and Athanasiou, plus some of the guys they've drafted in the last three years, it seems like they're drafting guys who have NHL attributes and are hoping they develop the smart/mental side of the game.

We all know how well that's worked previously...Zherdev, Brule, Picard, Fritsche, and many more.
That's kind of bizarre. Maybe they have more faith in their development with coaching rather than with conditioning nowadays?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

This may be a bit OT, but who do you think we'll invite to the training camp?

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote