HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2013, 11:33 AM
  #401
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,003
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Karlsson at #16 was the best defenceman in that draft. Doughty was considered a tier above every D.

OEL has passed the #2 pick in Hedman in most peoples eyes. Hedman was extremly hyped.

When their has been a foward vs defenceman in the running for first overall when has the defenceman gone on be a better player than the forward? All I can think of is Pronger off the top of my head.

I like Seth Jones and would love to draft him high, but I am not sold on him being the best defenceman like I am with MacKinnon.
You'd pick Karlsson over Doughty and Pietro? I wouldn't, Norris notwithstanding. Karlsson is a great offensive player, but he still isn't nearly as good as the other two in his defensive zone.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:40 AM
  #402
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
You'd pick Karlsson over Doughty and Pietro? I wouldn't, Norris notwithstanding. Karlsson is a great offensive player, but he still isn't nearly as good as the other two in his defensive zone.
I have a biased toward Pietro since I have watched him since his rookie season in Niagara, but I would go Karlsson. Doughty has been to inconsistent in the past couple years for him to be on their tier, shown flashes of brilliance though.


Last edited by 1972: 02-21-2013 at 11:51 AM.
1972 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:47 AM
  #403
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I have a biased toward Pietro since I have watched him since his rookie season in Niagara, but I would probably go Karlsson. It's close between the 2. Doughty has been to inconsistent in the past couple years for him to be on their tier, shown flashes of brilliance though.
I'd easily choose Karlsson over those 2, without even thinking about it. Watch all 3 of them play quite a bit and Karlsson is seriously in a completely different league.

McTankel is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:50 AM
  #404
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I'd easily choose Karlsson over those 2, without even thinking about it. Watch all 3 of them play quite a bit and Karlsson is seriously in a completely different league.
I agree, Karlsson is a tier above.

1972 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:50 AM
  #405
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,003
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I have a biased toward Pietro since I have watched him since his rookie season in Niagara, but I would probably go Karlsson. It's close between the 2. Doughty has been to inconsistent in the past couple years for him to be on their tier, shown flashes of brilliance though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I'd easily choose Karlsson over those 2, without even thinking about it. Watch all 3 of them play quite a bit and Karlsson is seriously in a completely different league.
Doughty has a bit of inconsistency, but that playoff run last year was just brilliant. Lots of d-zone starts against elite competition, and shut them down. I don't see Karlsson doing that when the chips are down.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:53 AM
  #406
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Doughty has a bit of inconsistency, but that playoff run last year was just brilliant. Lots of d-zone starts against elite competition, and shut them down. I don't see Karlsson doing that when the chips are down.
I agree, Karlsson has been at that level for the last 100 games though, not as great defensively but still solid. Both are the cream of the crop and you can't really go wrong..

Remember when Myers was in that conversation

1972 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 12:24 PM
  #407
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,935
vCash: 500
I think Pietrangelo is the best defenceman in that class.

Also, this website http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/ has an updated list of the draft based on the current standings. Biggest surprise is probably Nichushkin over Barkov.

couture23 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 01:09 PM
  #408
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,003
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I think Pietrangelo is the best defenceman in that class.

Also, this website http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/ has an updated list of the draft based on the current standings. Biggest surprise is probably Nichushkin over Barkov.
We'd pick 3rd based on current win%. We're ahead or tied with some teams in points, but they have games in hand on us.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 01:19 PM
  #409
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
We'd pick 3rd based on current win%. We're ahead or tied with some teams in points, but they have games in hand on us.
Top 3 pick would be great! Basically if we don't run off a chain of 5-6 straight wins we don't have a legit chance at the playoffs. If we can get a top 3 pick and Eakins in the summer I will be satisfied.

McTankel is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 01:24 PM
  #410
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,003
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Top 3 pick would be great! Basically if we don't run off a chain of 5-6 straight wins we don't have a legit chance at the playoffs. If we can get a top 3 pick and Eakins in the summer I will be satisfied.
Yep. If we're going to miss the playoffs, I'd want a top-5 pick. Even if we're outside the top-3, I want a shot at Barkov/Lindholm.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 01:27 PM
  #411
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Yep. If we're going to miss the playoffs, I'd want a top-5 pick. Even if we're outside the top-3, I want a shot at Barkov/Lindholm.
Yeah definitely, also Monahan is no slouch! Top 6 pick or playoffs IMO!

McTankel is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 01:29 PM
  #412
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Yeah definitely, also Monahan is no slouch! Top 6 pick or playoffs IMO!
Just watch.

"With the #3 pick, the Sabres select Zach Fucale"

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 01:48 PM
  #413
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Just watch.

"With the #3 pick, the Sabres select Zach Fucale"
Don't you even go there. We'd take the little guy Petan probably.

A top pick would be amazing, haven't drafted so high since Vanek - and that's been 10 years. So I think it's time.

couture23 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 02:38 PM
  #414
threeVo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 929
vCash: 500
Karlsson is a league above every Dman in this league right now. He can play 30+ minutes and completely controls the game when hes on the ice. Its one of the most impressive things I have ever seen. Everyone has an off night but they are very rare for him.

Draft thread tho I would love Monohan or Barkov, I dont think we will have a shot at Drouin Jones or MacKinnon

threeVo is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 02:49 PM
  #415
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,003
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Just watch.

"With the #3 pick, the Sabres select Zach Fucale"
What would be even worse is if two teams smitten with Jones and Nicushkin picked them 1-2. Then we get this:

"With the 3rd pick in the 2013 NHL Draft..."

Fan: Oh man, here we go, we're picking a franchise player...

"...the Buffalo Sabres select..."

Fan: Please be Drouin! No, wait, please be MacKinnon!

"...from the Halifax Mooseheads...

Fan: Holy ****! Holy ****!

"...Zachary Fucale!"

Fan: ....*passes out*

I would cry.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
  #416
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
What would be even worse is if two teams smitten with Jones and Nicushkin picked them 1-2. Then we get this:

"With the 3rd pick in the 2013 NHL Draft..."

Fan: Oh man, here we go, we're picking a franchise player...

"...the Buffalo Sabres select..."

Fan: Please be Drouin! No, wait, please be MacKinnon!

"...from the Halifax Mooseheads...

Fan: Holy ****! Holy ****!

"...Zachary Fucale!"

Fan: ....*passes out*

I would cry.
The biggest troll job in the history of the NHL.

couture23 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 04:22 PM
  #417
OkimLom
Registered User
 
OkimLom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
What would be even worse is if two teams smitten with Jones and Nicushkin picked them 1-2. Then we get this:

"With the 3rd pick in the 2013 NHL Draft..."

Fan: Oh man, here we go, we're picking a franchise player...

"...the Buffalo Sabres select..."

Fan: Please be Drouin! No, wait, please be MacKinnon!

"...from the Halifax Mooseheads...

Fan: Holy ****! Holy ****!

"...Zachary Fucale!"

Fan: ....*passes out*

I would cry.
hahah

It would be more like:

"With the 3rd pick in the 2013 NHL Draft..."

Fan: Oh man, here we go, we're picking a franchise player...

"...the Buffalo Sabres select from the Halifax Mooseheads..."

Fan: Please be Drouin! No, wait, please be MacKinnon!

Fan: Holy ****! Holy ****!

"...Zachary Fucale!"

Fan: MOTHER F*%&*%$ GOD D&$% [Throws remote Through TV]...

OkimLom is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 04:25 PM
  #418
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,935
vCash: 500
I would be like...

"With the 3rd pick in the 2013 NHL Draft..."

Fan: Oh man, here we go, we're picking a franchise player...

"...the Buffalo Sabres select from the Halifax Mooseheads..."

Fan: Please be Drouin! No, wait, please be MacKinnon!

Fan: Holy ****! Holy ****!

"...Zachary Fucale!"

Fan: Finds quickest flight to Newark, sets a hit on front office to be exterminated, accepts jail time

couture23 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 04:32 PM
  #419
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I would be like...

"With the 3rd pick in the 2013 NHL Draft..."

Fan: Oh man, here we go, we're picking a franchise player...

"...the Buffalo Sabres select from the Halifax Mooseheads..."

Fan: Please be Drouin! No, wait, please be MacKinnon!

Fan: Holy ****! Holy ****!

"...Zachary Fucale!"

Fan: Finds quickest flight to Newark, sets a hit on front office to be exterminated, accepts jail time
Why Newark? Are there a lot of hitmen for hire there?

Mackinnon or bust let's go Sabres, I wonder if the trolling will continue even though they lost the troll commander(Lindy Ruff).

Stop Winnin is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 04:43 PM
  #420
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,390
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Why Newark? Are there a lot of hitmen for hire there?

Mackinnon or bust let's go Sabres, I wonder if the trolling will continue even though they lost the troll commander(Lindy Ruff).
Draft's taking place in the Devils' Prudential Center in Newark

Rob Paxon is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 05:29 PM
  #421
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Why Newark? Are there a lot of hitmen for hire there?

Mackinnon or bust let's go Sabres, I wonder if the trolling will continue even though they lost the troll commander(Lindy Ruff).
Well Newark isn't the nicest city out there from what I hear. But yeah, the draft is there this year.

couture23 is online now  
Old
02-21-2013, 11:50 PM
  #422
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,753
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
hahah

It would be more like:

"With the 3rd pick in the 2013 NHL Draft..."

Fan: Oh man, here we go, we're picking a franchise player...

"...the Buffalo Sabres select from the Halifax Mooseheads..."

Fan: Please be Drouin! No, wait, please be MacKinnon!

Fan: Holy ****! Holy ****!

"...Zachary Fucale!"

Fan: MOTHER F*%&*%$ GOD D&$% [Throws remote Through TV]...
I threw an xbox360 controller threw my hdtv after the Sabres lost to Bruins in the playoffs...... yup.... learned my lesson from that experience (not covered under warranty )

dma0034 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 07:39 AM
  #423
BuzzKillington90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Albion, Ny
Country: United States
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
As much as I hate losing...

This is the year to tank...and one of the things I wanted from tanking has already happened...Lindy's gone...

Get me Jones MacKinnon or Drouin....Thats instant salve on the burns.

Geez last time we had 1st overall was Turgeon....I honestly dunno who I would want at 1st..

Backend is a dumpster fire...but Mackinnon....

BuzzKillington90 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 07:52 AM
  #424
Layne Staley
The Future
 
Layne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
What would be even worse is if two teams smitten with Jones and Nicushkin picked them 1-2. Then we get this:

"With the 3rd pick in the 2013 NHL Draft..."

Fan: Oh man, here we go, we're picking a franchise player...

"...the Buffalo Sabres select..."

Fan: Please be Drouin! No, wait, please be MacKinnon!

"...from the Halifax Mooseheads...

Fan: Holy ****! Holy ****!

"...Zachary Fucale!"

Fan: ....*passes out*

I would cry.


Don't worry, the way Kevin Devine always announces the picks he says Buffalo Sabres select ______ from the ______, though your way is how he should say it, makes it more exciting.

Layne Staley is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 08:01 AM
  #425
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKillington90 View Post
As much as I hate losing...

This is the year to tank...and one of the things I wanted from tanking has already happened...Lindy's gone...

Get me Jones MacKinnon or Drouin....Thats instant salve on the burns.

Geez last time we had 1st overall was Turgeon....I honestly dunno who I would want at 1st..

Backend is a dumpster fire...but Mackinnon....
This year looks like a good one to tank, yes, but I think the more important thing to look at is the contracts of the key players on this team and when they expire..

With one half of the seemingly untouchable duo out the door, the other half could follow.
If they bring in new eyes, they may very well realize that this organization is nothing more than average at best through and through and decide that they'd like to take advantage of the next few drafts.
There was a guy a few years ago that had teams drooling in anticipation, but he went through a lottery draft.
This next kid, who is also pretty decent, will be in a normal draft, so the worst is very likely to get him fair and square.

Just throwing the idea out there, because he's not just your average potential first overall pick, in my opinion.

jfb392 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.