HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 08:30 AM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
This year looks like a good one to tank, yes, but I think the more important thing to look at is the contracts of the key players on this team and when they expire..

With one half of the seemingly untouchable duo out the door, the other half could follow.
If they bring in new eyes, they may very well realize that this organization is nothing more than average at best through and through and decide that they'd like to take advantage of the next few drafts.
There was a guy a few years ago that had teams drooling in anticipation, but he went through a lottery draft.
This next kid, who is also pretty decent, will be in a normal draft, so the worst is very likely to get him fair and square.

Just throwing the idea out there, because he's not just your average potential first overall pick, in my opinion.
Are you talking about McDavid in 2015? That's a bit far out. If our team still sucks then, then he's absolutely seems worth throwing in the towel for, but people spent years drooling over Tavares too, and as good as he is, he still hasn't turned the Isle around. Even if we end up at 4-6 this year and get one of Monahan or Barkov, that could be huge for this franchise. Both fantastic two-way centers, which is our biggest problem.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:38 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Are you talking about McDavid in 2015? That's a bit far out. If our team still sucks then, then he's absolutely seems worth throwing in the towel for, but people spent years drooling over Tavares too, and as good as he is, he still hasn't turned the Isle around. Even if we end up at 4-6 this year and get one of Monahan or Barkov, that could be huge for this franchise. Both fantastic two-way centers, which is our biggest problem.
Yes, I'm talking about McDavid.
It's not really as far out as you think, and the team absolutely has a chance at sucking since the majority of the players that can actually be counted on for anything all have contracts that expire on 7/1/14.
Lose even one of them and the team is notably worse, considering we don't really have a replacement for any of them in the pipeline or players on the team that can step up.
McDavid is a franchise changing player and the more I think about it, the more I want them to jump at the chance.

As for Tavares, I don't know how you can penalize him for not turning around one of the worst franchises in the NHL.
This is a team that finds ways to spend less money, has no depth, and has a team made up of mostly throwaway players.
Despite this, he was a PPG player last year and just continues to get better.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:06 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
It's not really as far out as you think, and the team absolutely has a chance at sucking since the majority of the players that can actually be counted on for anything all have contracts that expire on 7/1/14.
Lose even one of them and the team is notably worse, considering we don't really have a replacement for any of them in the pipeline or players on the team that can step up.
McDavid is a franchise changing player and the more I think about it, the more I want them to jump at the chance.

As for Tavares, I don't know how you can penalize him for not turning around one of the worst franchises in the NHL.
This is a team that finds ways to spend less money, has no depth, and has a team made up of mostly throwaway players.
Never seen McDavid play, but from everything I've heard he's the real deal. I'd fully embrace the rebuild if we could get a few more guys who could be legitimate franchise players. The guy I've watched a few times and been blown away with is Josh Ho-Sang and he's draft eligible next year.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:08 AM
tsujimoto74

It seems unlikely at this point, but if this team end up making their annual run to 9th/10th, or if we get another pick selling at the deadline, who do you guys like in the mid to late 1st? 10-20, I think I'd be all over Erne, Mantha, or Domi.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:18 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
Never seen McDavid play, but from everything I've heard he's the real deal. I'd fully embrace the rebuild if we could get a few more guys who could be legitimate franchise players. The guy I've watched a few times and been blown away with is Josh Ho-Sang and he's draft eligible next year.
I've only seen McDavid live twice, but have watched him many times online now and it's not much of an exaggeration to say that he shows me something new each time.
He is just on a different level and he's a year younger than everyone else in the league.

I like Ho-Sang a lot too, along with plenty of other Ontario 96's, an age group that is said to be the best in recent memory (talking the last 20-30 years according to people who have scouted Ontario for years).
He was the top 2014 prospect in my mind to begin the year and hasn't really done anything to make me think any less of him, but there are two defensemen that are incredible in Aaron Ekblad and Roland McKeown.
Hard to pick at this point, but all are appealing.

I should stop though, as this isn't a "Nuke It" thread.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:

Agree about Tavares. I feel like he's one of the most underrated players in the league, which is hilarious considering the hype he came in with. He's in hockey hell (not in terms of area of course, but ownership/management). He has the worst owner in the league, one of the worst in pro sports. Management's game plan is to find ways to get to the salary floor. The team has no depth at any position and is filled with waiver-level guys. Tavares himself gets grouped with one-dimensional nobodies and washed-up bargain players and turns them into 20-30 goal scorers. He's amazing and I hope the NYI franchise gains some positive momentum with new ownership and the relocation because we're being robbed of seeing a great talent do what he can really do.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:50 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Agree about Tavares. I feel like he's one of the most underrated players in the league, which is hilarious considering the hype he came in with. He's in hockey hell (not in terms of area of course, but ownership/management). He has the worst owner in the league, one of the worst in pro sports. Management's game plan is to find ways to get to the salary floor. The team has no depth at any position and is filled with waiver-level guys. Tavares himself gets grouped with one-dimensional nobodies and washed-up bargain players and turns them into 20-30 goal scorers. He's amazing and I hope the NYI franchise gains some positive momentum with new ownership and the relocation because we're being robbed of seeing a great talent do what he can really do.
Tavares is not underrated he is considered a top 10 player in the league. Also, he is not paired with nobodies, watch some of the games. Moulson is the real deal and has had 3 straight 30+ goal seasons. Also, PA Parenteau is doing amazing in Colorado and is not just a "product" of Tavares. Brad Boyes is having a comeback year due to him being utilized correctly and is a former 40+ goal scorer so the talent was always there. Obviously playing with one of the top 5 play makers in the league and a sniper such as Moulson helps out quite a bit to. Boyes puck control ability along the boards helps him succeed.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:49 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
It seems unlikely at this point, but if this team end up making their annual run to 9th/10th, or if we get another pick selling at the deadline, who do you guys like in the mid to late 1st? 10-20, I think I'd be all over Erne, Mantha, or Domi.
Erne is the guy I'd like if we got a 2nd 1st rounder. We'd likely have to move up to get him though like we did with Zemgus.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:24 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
In my books, he's probably the 7th or 8th player I'd take from the OHL alone, behind Ekblad, McKeown, DalColle, Watson, Bennett, McCann, Clarke.

Lots of talent in next years draft.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
100% agree on McDavid and the Sabres chances to come 30th.

However, coming 30th only gives you a 25% chance at him. Not something I'd hold out much hope for, especially that far away. We should be able to pick up some real solid pieces in the next two drafts, though.

Not sure what the team does if Miller leaves in a year. I think we might struggle for a lot longer than 2-3 years.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

With Miller turning 33 and becoming a FA after next season and with Enroth being a total question mark, any chance we take a goalie in the first 2-3 rounds? Are there a lot of future starters in this draft? Outside of the top 10 or so prospects I'm not familiar with the draft pool at all. We haven't drafted a top goalie prospect since Enroth in 06 me the cupboard is pretty bare in net, a far cry when we had the Biron-Mika-Miller three headed monster circa early 00's... Those 3 were all supposed to be Vezina winning goalies and only Miller panned out

Old
02-22-2013, 05:40 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
With Miller turning 33 and becoming a FA after next season and with Enroth being a total question mark, any chance we take a goalie in the first 2-3 rounds? Are there a lot of future starters in this draft? Outside of the top 10 or so prospects I'm not familiar with the draft pool at all. We haven't drafted a top goalie prospect since Enroth in 06 me the cupboard is pretty bare in net, a far cry when we had the Biron-Mika-Miller three headed monster circa early 00's... Those 3 were all supposed to be Vezina winning goalies and only Miller panned out
Goalies are really a crapshoot, and it's rarely worthwhile to draft them high. We've taken 3 in the last in the last 4 drafts and signed Makarov. I wouldn't say the cupboard's bare in that area so much as it's full of mystery boxes. Ullmark seems to be doing well in Europe. Makarov is definitely doing well in the WHL and has had some shining moments in the past couple years in the U20s. I like Lieuwen's athleticism, but he has a long way to go technically. Knapp has the opposite problem, from what I've seen.
I would like to see them take another G somewhere between rounds 4-7, but I'd prefer to stick with forwards and D inside the top 90.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:11 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

In an ideal world we win pick number one and trade for say 6 and 11. Monahan and Zadarov? Anyhow-Erne-his suspension worries me although these boards do not seem troubled by it.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:28 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
In an ideal world we win pick number one and trade for say 6 and 11. Monahan and Zadarov? Anyhow-Erne-his suspension worries me although these boards do not seem troubled by it.
Are you suggesting

Trade first overall for 6 and 11?
or
Keep first overall and somehow acquire 6 and 11 in the same draft?

The first, is possible. But not likely. The second is HIGHLY improbable in a deep draft year.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:42 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

I was ruminating about whether we trade the number one over all should the fates give us that chance. I have this hope that Grigs can be a number one centre, Hodgson #2 and Monahan 3. If the brass think Girgs is the guy to be a good #3 then the best gritty Dman and the best winger at say 6 and 12. Dreaming about that prevents me from thinking about the Sabres performances......

Old
02-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Luceni

I for sure want someone with wheels. A fast winger or center would be awesome, I'm thinking of somone like Hall/Grabner with better Hands and Hockey IQ would be awesome.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I for sure want someone with wheels. A fast winger or center would be awesome, I'm thinking of somone like Hall/Grabner with better Hands and Hockey IQ would be awesome.
MacKinnon has more gears than just about anyone. The kid can fly and accelerates like he's been shot out of a cannon.

02-22-2013, 07:17 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
I was ruminating about whether we trade the number one over all should the fates give us that chance. I have this hope that Grigs can be a number one centre, Hodgson #2 and Monahan 3. If the brass think Girgs is the guy to be a good #3 then the best gritty Dman and the best winger at say 6 and 12. Dreaming about that prevents me from thinking about the Sabres performances......
No way imo. If the Sabres get #1 overall, use it on Mackinnon. Quality > quantity. Just like lots of lame offers here on this forum, you can't get a stud for lots of spare parts.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:09 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

You might be right about McKinnon but not everyone agrees he ranks above Jones or even Drouin. I have only seen him a half a dozen times on tv and he did not stand out the way other big names have in previous years. I discount the world juniors as a lot of great players did nothing in their draft year although certainly some did. I do not want to trade an aircraft carrier for a couple of cruisers but I have really like Zadorov on defence and would like to add a top 6 scoring forward to go with him. I bow to those who have seen these guys more than I have.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Deevo

There's no way you pass on Mackinnon, Drouin or Jones if you have a chance to draft one of them.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:21 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
There's no way you pass on Mackinnon, Drouin or Jones if you have a chance to draft one of them.
Drouin now has 20 more pts than Mackinnon in the same amount of games. 2.2 PPG, he's getting up near Crosby type numbers soon.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
I agree,I wanted to believe that Barkov and Monahan are better prospects than Drouin because of there size and 2 way play but I dont see anyway you can pass on Drouin skill at #3, he has the best puck skills and IQ ive ever seen in junior hockey, since 2007

At 5'11 its not unreasonable to believe he can grow an inch or 2, he also has a solid frame for his size.

Seems like the type of player who will force an NHL team to keep him up next year.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...pact-prospects

Sonier lists his "best fits" for the 2013 draftees that he thinks can play right away:

MacKinnon -- CBJ
Seth Jones -- Washington
Drouin -- CBJ
Barkov -- either WPG or Calgary
Erne -- Avs
Zadorov -- Panthers

And then there's this:

Quote:
Bo Horvat, left winger/center, London (OHL)

Horvat, who plays both center and wing, is super smart with and without the puck. He is the type of player whom coaches will have immediate trust in, and who will be able to play many roles, including killing penalties. He is heavy on the puck at 6-foot and 200 pounds and leaves me thinking that he will be better with better players, which is a big compliment to his style of play. He is already playing in an environment in which he does not have to be the go-to guy and is used to changing roles, often within the game itself.

Best fit: Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres have confused many with the way they are playing this season, as most expected them to be at the other end of the standings. Their roster has all of the usual ingredients for success, with Ryan Miller in net and Christian Ehrhoff and Tyler Myers on the back end. Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville and Cody Hodgson can lead the way offensively, while Steve Ott and Marcus Foligno provide toughness. So what is the problem? Horvat fits because he is a complementary player who will bring defensive credibility and skill. His numbers also suggest that he could excel offensively, and while I believe he can contribute on the score sheet, it is his hockey sense that separates him. Over time, he could be an excellent fit with rookie Mikhail Grigorenko.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
No way imo. If the Sabres get #1 overall, use it on Mackinnon. Quality > quantity. Just like lots of lame offers here on this forum, you can't get a stud for lots of spare parts.
Completely agree. MacKinnon, Jones and Drouin. If Buffalo gets pick 1-3, they stay put and take one.

Outside of leadership, Buffalo is missing front line/pairing gamebreakers. Right now, the only player outside of Miller that other teams have to worry about and plan for is Vanek.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Probably not all that remarkable, but the Sabres had two scouts in attendance at the London/Soo OHL game last night. The game featured 1st round prospects Darnell Nurse (Soo), Nikita Zadorov (Lon), Max Domi (Lon), and Bo Horvat (Lon).

Closed Thread