HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Probably not all that remarkable, but the Sabres had two scouts in attendance at the London/Soo OHL game last night. The game featured 1st round prospects Darnell Nurse (Soo), Nikita Zadorov (Lon), Max Domi (Lon), and Bo Horvat (Lon).
Given how hard the Sabres scout the OHL, not a real surprise.

02-23-2013, 05:19 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Probably not all that remarkable, but the Sabres had two scouts in attendance at the London/Soo OHL game last night. The game featured 1st round prospects Darnell Nurse (Soo), Nikita Zadorov (Lon), Max Domi (Lon), and Bo Horvat (Lon).
They have scouts at literally every Ice Dogs game I go to aswell, usually scouting the other team since Niagara doesn't have much for the 2013 draft. Acutally saw Regier at the game against Kingston early a couple months ago.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:36 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
So, do Mackinnon/Jones/Drouin make the jump next year?

Old
02-23-2013, 05:42 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
So, do Mackinnon/Jones/Drouin make the jump next year?
Jones - I think he will have an impact like Hamilton next year

MacKinnon - I think he will be a top 6 guy forsure next year

Drouin - I am starting to think he will be in the NHL, many will say he needs another year of junior though

Old
02-23-2013, 07:25 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
They have scouts at literally every Ice Dogs game I go to aswell, usually scouting the other team since Niagara doesn't have much for the 2013 draft. Acutally saw Regier at the game against Kingston early a couple months ago.
Makes sense geographically...if the Sabres and/or Amerks have an off-night, he can sneak off to Niagara without having to travel anywhere. Probably also cheap for scouts based here.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:52 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Let's say we get the first overall pick. Is everyone sold on taking a forward (MacKinnon or Drouin)? I'm not so sure we shouldn't grab Seth Jones.

Then entering next season:
Sekera-Ehrhoff
McNabb/Pysyk/UFA-Myers
McNabb/Pysyk/UFA-Jones
Weber/UFA

We could use more talent up front for sure, but our D has been putrid this year, strikes me as a bigger need...and Jones can definitely be a cornerstone for this team. (I think Jones plays the right side, but someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong).

Old
02-23-2013, 09:55 PM
"Craigs on it"

Mack, taking a D at 1 scares the **** out of me

Old
02-23-2013, 10:02 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Mack, taking a D at 1 scares the **** out of me
Agree. We should be sellers at the deadline, maybe get an extra pick or 3, and look for D in the mid to late first and second, IMO. I think MacKinnon, Drouin, Monahan, and maybe Barkov are all in the NHL next year. I'd be very happy to take any of them.
The idea of Jones is really nice, but looking at draft history, you have to be very skeptical of taking a defenseman that high. From what I've heard/seen, he also projects as a more offensive guy than defensive guy (not that he'll be bad defensively), which isn't the perfect cure for our blue line ails. #StayBadForEkblad

Old
02-23-2013, 10:03 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

1.) Mack
2.) Drouin
3.) Jones

1, 2, 3 for me.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:07 PM
kenfury

After seeing jones as well as his family history all I want is "opposite of best for seth".

Old
02-23-2013, 10:10 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Agree. We should be sellers at the deadline, maybe get an extra pick or 3, and look for D in the mid to late first and second, IMO. I think MacKinnon, Drouin, Monahan, and maybe Barkov are all in the NHL next year. I'd be very happy to take any of them.
The idea of Jones is really nice, but looking at draft history, you have to be very skeptical of taking a defenseman that high. From what I've heard/seen, he also projects as a more offensive guy than defensive guy (not that he'll be bad defensively), which isn't the perfect cure for our blue line ails. #StayBadForEkblad
I agree but my thought is take Jones and then use the late 1st round pick/player that we get by selling for the tough nasty shutdown guy. 2015 for the win

Old
02-23-2013, 10:12 PM
McTank

I'll admit to not watching every halifax game but why is drouin not ranked higher than mac?
Drouin: 41 gp, 89 points
Mac: 41 gp, 69 points

Drouin seems like a future 90+ point winger

Old
02-23-2013, 10:13 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Let's say we get the first overall pick. Is everyone sold on taking a forward (MacKinnon or Drouin)? I'm not so sure we shouldn't grab Seth Jones.

Then entering next season:
Sekera-Ehrhoff
McNabb/Pysyk/UFA-Myers
McNabb/Pysyk/UFA-Jones
Weber/UFA

We could use more talent up front for sure, but our D has been putrid this year, strikes me as a bigger need...and Jones can definitely be a cornerstone for this team. (I think Jones plays the right side, but someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong).
I take MacKinnon and I don't think twice about it because I'm taking the best player available at #1, and for me he is.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:14 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
I'll admit to not watching every halifax game but why is drouin not ranked higher than mac?

Would you rather have a 90 point offensive player, or a 90point 2 way all situations center

Old
02-23-2013, 10:16 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:

Scoring more points at the Junior level doesn't necessarily correlate to more points at the NHL level. Some players project better because their skills easily translate to higher levels of hockey. MacKinnon's speed and acceleration are world class while having great vision and puck handling abilities.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:17 PM
McTank

Quote:
Would you rather have a 90 point offensive player, or a 90point 2 way all situations center
But won't drouin be more productive than mac? I see mac as an 85 point center and drouin as an 95 point winger. How is drouins defensive game though?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:17 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
Scoring more points at the Junior level doesn't necessarily correlate to more points at the NHL level. Some players project better because their skills easily translate to higher levels of hockey. MacKinnon's speed and acceleration are world class while having great vision.
So is Drouins, they are going 1 and 2 IMO with Jones going 3rd...Depending on what team drafts 1-3.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:19 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

I haven't seen much but I like the two top 5 euros barkov and lindholm. Top 10 is great and top 5 fills a need

Old
02-23-2013, 10:22 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
So is Drouins, they are going 1 and 2 IMO with Jones going 3rd...Depending on what team drafts 1-3.
I'm not trying to insult Drouin, the kid clearly belongs at the top of the draft. I just think he lacks MacKinnon's explosiveness.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

In 1987 the Sabres selected Pierre Turgeon #1 overall. The Sabres have had only two top 10 picks since. Erik Rasmussen #7 1996 and Thomas Vanek #5 2003. You need more top end talent than that to win.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:30 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
I'm not trying to insult Drouin, the kid clearly belongs at the top of the draft. I just think he lacks MacKinnon's explosiveness.
You haven't watched enough of Drouin then...

Old
02-23-2013, 10:30 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
But won't drouin be more productive than mac? I see mac as an 85 point center and drouin as an 95 point winger. How is drouins defensive game though?
If he is, it'll only be marginally so. And he also won't make as big an impact as soon, IMO. The moves that he's getting away with in juniors are going to be stopped a lot more often by NHL defenders, and he's going to have to adjust his game. His skill is world class, but his game needs to be refined.

MacKinnon has hands, passing, shooting, and vision that are right up there, while being the better player in the other 2 zones, doing a lot more of the little things well (like faceoffs), and being an elite skater.

Both are top-notch prospects offensively, but I see Mac as the clearly more complete and more NHL-ready player.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:32 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
If he is, it'll only be marginally so. And he also won't make as big an impact as soon, IMO. The moves that he's getting away with in juniors are going to be stopped a lot more often by NHL defenders, and he's going to have to adjust his game. His skill is world class, but his game needs to be refined.

MacKinnon has hands, passing, shooting, and vision that are right up there, while being the better player in the other 2 zones, doing a lot more of the little things well (like faceoffs), and being an elite skater.

Both are top-notch prospects offensively, but I see Mac as the clearly more complete and more NHL-ready player.
I see Drouin as a Kane type player, Mack as a Toews type player, and Jones as a Pietrangelo type player.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Not a good sign that I've already started to tune in to other teams around Buffalo in the standings to watch the battle for draft position... unfortunately Columbus lost tonight, so they're still last. Only a point behind the Sabres with one less game played, though.

Waaay early but at this point I'm team Jones. There's probably a better chance that Grigorenko/Hodgson/Ennis can make the jump to a #1 center at some point in their careers than Myers getting his head out of his ass and becoming a #1 defenseman. As long as the Sabres are in the bottom three, I won't be too picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I see Drouin as a Kane type player, Mack as a Toews type player, and Jones as a Pietrangelo type player.
Three really good comparisons. I think Jones is a lot further along than Pietrangelo at this stage of their careers, too. In his first WJC's (I think he had been drafted by this point but I could be wrong) Pietro was awful, and really stepped it up his second time around. Jones was dominant in his first as an underage guy.

edit: Looking back, maybe I shouldn't have said a lot further along than Pietro, but definitely ahead of him.

Last edited by Sean McG: 02-24-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old
02-23-2013, 10:38 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Not a good sign that I've already started to tune in to other teams around Buffalo in the standings to watch the battle for draft position... unfortunately Columbus lost tonight, so they're still last. Only a point behind the Sabres with one less game played, though.

Waaay early but at this point I'm team Jones. There's probably a better chance that Grigorenko/Hodgson/Ennis can make the jump to a #1 center at some point in their careers than Myers getting his head out of his ass and becoming a #1 defenseman. As long as the Sabres are in the bottom three, I won't be too picky.
True that. You can't go wrong with any of the top 3 it would seem.

Closed Thread