HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 05:49 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yes

best top prospects since Stamkos/Doughty
Since JT

Old
03-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
Hall, Eberle and Yakupov and RNH and Schultz--all hailed as the next GREAT. Maybe some day a couple of them will be NHL stars, maybe all of them, but I think Oiler fans expected more from all the hype around those guys. Prospects are fine--proven first line players are usually better. The grass is not always greener and all that glitters is not gold?
RNH is 19, Yakupov is 19 and Hall is 20.. give it some time. .

Old
03-05-2013, 10:20 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
That is certainly a dream, because I can't see any GM of a team picking in the top-5 willing to give up their 1st rounder (plus something else!) for Pominville while they're conscious.
OT, but: Feaster might be stupid enough.
Going off the Butler+Byron for Regehr trade...
Do Pominville+Brennan (7th dman)+Gerbe (undersized scrappy forward) for their 1st rounder+something else
I can dream, right?
Also, since I think we're going to play ourselves out of a top 5 pick and will likely end up in the coveted 10-12 spot in the conference, who would possibly be available there?

Old
03-05-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
OT, but: Feaster might be stupid enough.
Going off the Butler+Byron for Regehr trade...
Do Pominville+Brennan (7th dman)+Gerbe (undersized scrappy forward) for their 1st rounder+something else
I can dream, right?
Also, since I think we're going to play ourselves out of a top 5 pick and will likely end up in the coveted 10-12 spot in the conference, who would possibly be available there?
honestly I just looked at the PP% and we are drafting 3rd if the draft were today, I don't see any way we are not in the top 10 picks come draft day.

Teams we won't pass

CHI
ANA
BOS
MTL
PIT
VAN
CAR
TOR
OTT
LA
SJS
STL
NYR
MIN
PHX
DET
DAL
NJD
NSH
PHI
WSH

I believe that you can pencil in FLA and CBJ for the #1 and #2 picks, and that leaves WPG, CGY, NYI, EDM, COL, TB, AND BUF for the #3,4,5,6,7,8,9. Out of those teams I believe that CGY, TB, WPG finish above us. That leaves us with a top 6 pick. This is pretty pointless math but I like our chances to get a top 6 pick alot more than our chances to go on a run to 13th pick, their are only 25 games left and we have a very tough schedule.

Depending on who you ask their are about a definitive 6 or so players in MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan with a couple guys right on the cusp. We should have a good chance to get one of them.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:36 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Assuming that the season ended today...
- With each team's pace so far being extrapolated to 48 games
- With the teams that have the most points in the conference being in the SCF, and the second-most being conference finalists (and the overall most winning it)
- Assuming no changes took place in the lottery

The draft order would look like this.
1 - Columbus
2 - Florida
3 - Buffalo
4 - Washington
5 - Tampa Bay
6 - Colorado
7 - Edmonton
8 - Winnipeg
9 - NY Islanders
10 - Philadelphia
11 - Nashville
12 - Calgary
13 - Minnesota
14 - St. Louis
15 - New Jersey
16 - Dallas
17 - Detroit
18 - Phoenix
19 - NY Rangers (traded to CBJ)
20 - Ottawa
21 - Toronto
22 - San Jose
23 - Los Angeles (traded to CBJ)
24 - Vancouver
25 - Carolina
26 - Pittsburgh
27 - Montreal
28 - Anaheim
29 - Boston
30 - Chicago

Old
03-06-2013, 08:19 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
- With the teams that have the most points in the conference being in the SCF, and the second-most being conference finalists (and the overall most winning it)

1 - Columbus
2 - Florida
3 - Buffalo
4 - Washington
5 - Tampa Bay
6 - Colorado
7 - Edmonton
8 - Winnipeg
9 - NY Islanders
10 - Philadelphia
11 - Nashville
12 - Calgary
13 - Minnesota
14 - St. Louis
15 - New Jersey
16 - Dallas
17 - Detroit
18 - Phoenix
19 - NY Rangers (traded to CBJ)
20 - Ottawa
21 - Toronto
22 - San Jose
23 - Los Angeles (traded to CBJ)
24 - Vancouver
25 - Carolina
26 - Pittsburgh
27 - Montreal
28 - Anaheim
29 - Boston
30 - Chicago
Columbus has a ton of 1sts. They could really have a bright future if they handle this right.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Deevo

3rd overall would be sooo great. Drouin will look great in blue and gold.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

I almost think 3rd overall is the best choice in this draft. No pressure on who to take, just take whoever of Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin isn't gone. Obviously, first overall is the most ideal, but it makes the GM's job a lot easier without the pressure of a potentially crippling decision associated with their pick.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
I almost think 3rd overall is the best choice in this draft. No pressure on who to take, just take whoever of Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin isn't gone. Obviously, first overall is the most ideal, but it makes the GM's job a lot easier without the pressure of a potentially crippling decision associated with their pick.
these guys make alot of money to do their job, I would think they would know which players of the 3 they like the best. This draft reminds me of 2009 quite bit actually where you have the franchise center who has been around for ever and has always been the favourite for #1 pick (MacKinnon/Tavares), then you have the big all situations defenceman in (Jones/Hedman), and the very skilled foward (Duchene/Drouin). I really think Barkov will be in this discussion in a couple years or so.

when the draft is said and done MacKinnon will go one, followed by Jones then Drouin as it should.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:12 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
Columbus has a ton of 1sts. They could really have a bright future if they handle this right.
With Davidson in charge thats more likely to happen.

I really hope they do right the ship. I think that market deserves it.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:30 AM
Zip15

With CBJ's luck, LA and the Rags will make runs to the conference finals and those picks will end up 27 and 28, followed by them finishing 3rd in the league but drafting 4th because someone behind them won the lotter. Barkov plus two firsts would be a good haul, but I'm sure CBJ fan are envisioning more luck than that.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:22 PM
unte93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
3rd overall would be sooo great. Drouin will look great in blue and gold.

picking after CBJ and FLA i think Jones would be ours.

CBJ has taken Murray last year and will go forward and FLA has good defensive prospects but no superstar up front - they will go forward as well

Old
03-06-2013, 02:45 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by unte93 View Post

CBJ has taken Murray last year and will go forward and FLA has good defensive prospects but no superstar up front - they will go forward as well
FLA has good prospects all around with Bjugstad, Shore, Hubie up front. I think they'd be more of a wildcard than you suggest. That said, I think you're spot on with CBJ.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:46 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by unte93 View Post

I think CBJ's guy would either be MacKinnon or a trade down to 3-5 for Barkov. Given the way the team seems to be headed, I think they're going to look for a guy with strong two-way potential in addition to high-end scoring skill.

Personally, Jones kind of scares me... Taking a d-man that high seems to have more risk than it's worth. I'd much rather come out of the first round with Drouin or MacKinnon if we're picking in the top 3, even if that means dealing trading up to make it happen.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I think CBJ's guy would either be MacKinnon or a trade down to 3-5 for Barkov. Given the way the team seems to be headed, I think they're going to look for a guy with strong two-way potential in addition to high-end scoring skill.

Personally, Jones kind of scares me... Taking a d-man that high seems to have more risk than it's worth. I'd much rather come out of the first round with Drouin or MacKinnon if we're picking in the top 3, even if that means dealing trading up to make it happen.
same, we are not the kind of team that cannot afford to screw up a pick this high. Mind you Jones is the total package and I think the only question is will he become a #1 guy or a or a superstar.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:01 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Jones does not scare me one bit, his floor is a top 4 Defenseman, something we desperately need. Hes a very safe pick IMO. A top 6 pick would be a huge deal for this team going forward. Pick up a few quality FA and we can contend in the playoffs as soon as next year.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Jones does not scare me one bit, his floor is a top 4 Defenseman, something we desperately need. Hes a very safe pick IMO. A top 6 pick would be a huge deal for this team going forward. Pick up a few quality FA and we can contend in the playoffs as soon as next year.
getting only a top 4 guy with a top 3 pick would be a disaster

Old
03-06-2013, 03:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
getting only a top 4 guy with a top 3 pick would be a disaster
Yes...but that's only the floor. That's worst case scenario--he ends up being like former #1 pick Alexander Daigle, just an average player.

Best case scenario is he's much better. Much, much better.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Stop winnin for Mackinnon, take Meth for Seth, i like the Flaming Ruin for Drouin that one is uber creative.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:21 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Yes...but that's only the floor. That's worst case scenario--he ends up being like former #1 pick Alexander Daigle, just an average player.

Best case scenario is he's much better. Much, much better.
Yeah, there is a reason Seth Jones is rated number one on nearly every pro draft board. People bring up Johnson from Colorado as an example of a failure with the number one, but even he is a top 2 defenseman. Not exactly a bad pick.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:34 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...pact-prospects

Quote:
Best fits for instant-impact prospects

More and more, we're seeing players emerge straight from the draft and into a contributing role with an NHL club. As we look ahead to what could end up being a special draft this coming June, I have identified seven players I believe could start the 2013-14 season on an NHL roster and make their mark on the league. But what circumstances would best suit their skills? What environment would best allow them to succeed immediately?

To get a sense of that, I examined some of the teams likely to be selecting at the start of next season's draft to try to identify the best fits for the draft's best prospects.

----------------------------------------

Bo Horvat, left winger/center, London (OHL)

Horvat, who plays both center and wing, is super smart with and without the puck. He is the type of player whom coaches will have immediate trust in, and who will be able to play many roles, including killing penalties. He is heavy on the puck at 6-foot and 200 pounds and leaves me thinking that he will be better with better players, which is a big compliment to his style of play. He is already playing in an environment in which he does not have to be the go-to guy and is used to changing roles, often within the game itself.

Best fit: Buffalo Sabres

The Sabres have confused many with the way they are playing this season, as most expected them to be at the other end of the standings. Their roster has all of the usual ingredients for success, with Ryan Miller in net and Christian Ehrhoff and Tyler Myers on the back end. Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville and Cody Hodgson can lead the way offensively, while Steve Ott and Marcus Foligno provide toughness. So what is the problem? Horvat fits because he is a complementary player who will bring defensive credibility and skill. His numbers also suggest that he could excel offensively, and while I believe he can contribute on the score sheet, it is his hockey sense that separates him. Over time, he could be an excellent fit with rookie Mikhail Grigorenko.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:00 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
We're not going to finish between 20-25, unless we pick up another first we have no chance of selecting Bo.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:34 PM
sjci

vCash: 50
Quote:

1 - Columbus
2 - Florida
3 - Buffalo
4 - Washington
5 - Tampa Bay
6 - Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
With CBJ's luck, LA and the Rags will make runs to the conference finals and those picks will end up 27 and 28, followed by them finishing 3rd in the league but drafting 4th because someone behind them won the lotter. Barkov plus two firsts would be a good haul, but I'm sure CBJ fan are envisioning more luck than that.
More like our luck, it'll stay like this, but Washington, Tampa or Colorado luck out into the #1 and we now get moved out of one of the top 3 players (MacKinnon, Jones, Drouin)

I'm really hoping we can get a top 3 pick. That coupled with hopefully an additional 1st and 2nd at the trade deadline. We could have 4 picks in the top 50 possibly

Old
03-06-2013, 05:39 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Yeah, there is a reason Seth Jones is rated number one on nearly every pro draft board. People bring up Johnson from Colorado as an example of a failure with the number one, but even he is a top 2 defenseman. Not exactly a bad pick.
He's a top 2 d-man on a team whose other blue line options range from fringe NHLer to pylon. He hasn't produced too well offensively, and he hasn't been used in a shutdown roll either, until this year. Neither his counting numbers nor advanced stats look too pretty.

My fear with Jones is that what gets hyped is his athleticism vs a former top defensive pick like Pietrangelo, who just oozed hockey IQ, and I just don't trust athleticism making a prospect a good player at the next level nearly as much as IQ. Granted I haven't seen him much personally aside from WJC's, but even there Jones wasn't doing much until he had McCabe as his partner covering up for him. I'm certainly not saying I think he'll bust or anything, but there are enough things that make be nervous that I'd rather not take the gamble. The odds we'll get a sniff of another top 3 pick any time soon after this is almost nil; if we're picking that high, we need to be sure. If Devine and Regier are sure of Jones, then I guess I'm OK with it, but I'd nonetheless feel much safer and more confident in Drouin or MacKinnon, or even Monahan.

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 03-06-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old
03-06-2013, 05:46 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Agreed, nothing to worry about

Closed Thread