HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Draft Thread: Not Winnin' For #(??)...

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Eichel 9

vCash: 500
I think Florida goes Nate and then we pick between Drouin and Jones if we get the #2 pick.

I hope we go Drouin, I don't know..Jones has more upside as a potential franchise defenceman which is extremely hard to find, but forwards are just a bit of a safer pick. I don't really trust this organization in developing defenceman right now to be honest.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:36 PM
AirBriere48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
But I think a good argument would be:
C seguin vs W hall
They are still pretty even but I would rather build my team around the center seguin.

I have only seen mac and drouin at WJCs and that, plus the stats, are why I prefer drouin but if they really are even it's usually better to go center
Neither one of these two play center in the NHL.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:54 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBriere48 View Post
Neither one of these two play center in the NHL.
Seguin has at times and I believe the plan is still for him to be a center

Old
03-15-2013, 02:00 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

I think what you meant to compare was Seguin as a centre in the OHL, and Nate as a centre in the QMJHL.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Buffalo now tied for 4th last after that point, although they have played one more game than Colorado, the only team they're tied with.

Thought it was worth mentioning that the bottom three teams right now are all in the Southeast - Florida, Washington and Tampa. Florida plays Tampa twice, Washington once. Tampa plays both teams twice. Obviously, that means Washington plays Tampa x2 and Florida x1. If those teams continue to be bottom feeders, those games will have an impact on the standings, hopefully with a few OT games in there.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:05 PM
WNY to NoVA

so when do draft picks start being locked in?

I assume ANA, CHI, PIT, MTL, are all getting close to being "locked in" to the bottom 16 picks

Old
03-18-2013, 08:05 AM
AirBriere48

Sabres have a 62% chance of finishing bottom 3 in the league, according to Sports Club Stats. 74% of finishing bottom 4, and 82% chance of bottom 5. Please no win streaks over these last 19 games.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Buffalo now tied for 4th last after that point, although they have played one more game than Colorado, the only team they're tied with.

Thought it was worth mentioning that the bottom three teams right now are all in the Southeast - Florida, Washington and Tampa. Florida plays Tampa twice, Washington once. Tampa plays both teams twice. Obviously, that means Washington plays Tampa x2 and Florida x1. If those teams continue to be bottom feeders, those games will have an impact on the standings, hopefully with a few OT games in there.
Clearly, root for 3-point games.

03-19-2013, 01:07 AM
buffalorules

I think they should draft Josh Currie and Kalle Kossila and sign Mark Zengerle. Any thoughts???

Also I like the play of Nolan De Jong. He's a defenceman playing in the BCHL for the Victoria Grizzlies. He's 6'02" and 180Ibs. He's a good 2 way defenceman that has very good vision and can work the powerplay also is good defensively. He's committed to University of Michigan.

De Jong's stats: http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/rosters_p...layerID=710591

Old
03-19-2013, 01:09 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Do. Not. Want. Barkov.

Give me MacKinnon or give me death

Old
03-19-2013, 01:45 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalorules View Post
I think they should draft Josh Currie and Kalle Kossila and sign Mark Zengerle. Any thoughts???

Also I like the play of Nolan De Jong. He's a defenceman playing in the BCHL for the Victoria Grizzlies. He's 6'02" and 180Ibs. He's a good 2 way defenceman that has very good vision and can work the powerplay also is good defensively. He's committed to University of Michigan.

De Jong's stats: http://www.bchl.ca/leagues/rosters_p...layerID=710591
Kossila isn't a free agent, as he's a 93 and still draft eligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Do. Not. Want. Barkov.
Why?

Old
03-19-2013, 02:24 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Kossila isn't a free agent, as he's a 93 and still draft eligible.

Why?
Not my cup of tea. But feel free to shed some light as to why I might be wrong, as I'd love to start to like him and you'd be the one to kick start that process for me if anyone could

Who are the recent draftees who did well in SM and came to the NHL and are high end? Last decade or so. I'm curious and don't know how to look that up

Old
03-19-2013, 03:20 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Not my cup of tea. But feel free to shed some light as to why I might be wrong, as I'd love to start to like him and you'd be the one to kick start that process for me if anyone could

Who are the recent draftees who did well in SM and came to the NHL and are high end? Last decade or so. I'm curious and don't know how to look that up
Well, I don't know if there are that many who have had incredible success besides Mikael Granlund.
I'm not going to penalize him for that though, as much of the time draft eligibles do not play large roles.
I'm certainly not going to get too hyped up by it either, but his ability to produce at a high level consistently in the role he was given (#1C, every single situation, tons of minutes) is impressive for any player at any level and speaks to their potential.

His skillset is what intrigues me though.
As I've said many times, he combines prototypical Russian puck skills with Finnish work ethic.
Unfortunately, he also inherited the Finnish skating ability, but it looks to have improved a bit as he's grown into his body.
He's also big and protects the puck well, goes to tough areas and isn't afraid to battle, and plays all 200 feet.
He's basically what you ideally want Grigorenko to become (a do everything type rather than a pure finesse type), but probably a safer bet due to his superior play with and without the puck.
I think he may have better deceptively ability due to the decision making, thus making him more effective.
I have also been left scratching my head this year by some of Grigorenko's neutral and offensive zone decisions, which end up limiting his effectiveness.

Of course, if you ask Finnish fans they'll likely agree with you, as they are either all incredibly pessimistic and would agree that almost all Finns are busts or are trolls that hate all players except their own.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:04 AM
JPurp26

I'm all Drouin now, with Mack a close second, Barkov following. I really think we will be in position to grab an elite potential forward. Drouin/MacKinnon/Barkov/Lindholm/Nich/Monahan even Shinkaruak.
If we are smart, we acquire picks for our UFA's at the deadline, maybe make one big deal such as Pominville for a Simon Despres, 1st, and Tom Kuhnackl like a Pens fan suggested. Than at the draft, Miller, Vanek, Stafford are traded. We add multiple 1sts.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:51 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Since not a lot of people are talking about him, I posted a video of Lindholm at the WJC. It's a highlight video, but I wouldn't be disappointed with Lindholm. He hounds the puck, has nice vision, and seems to go to goal-scoring areas. I could see him turning into a good, two-way puck possession center that plays all competition.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
I'm all Drouin now, with Mack a close second, Barkov following. I really think we will be in position to grab an elite potential forward. Drouin/MacKinnon/Barkov/Lindholm/Nich/Monahan even Shinkaruak.
If we are smart, we acquire picks for our UFA's at the deadline, maybe make one big deal such as Pominville for a Simon Despres, 1st, and Tom Kuhnackl like a Pens fan suggested. Than at the draft, Miller, Vanek, Stafford are traded. We add multiple 1sts.
Besides maybe miller I always feel the best value is gained at the TD when demand is so high and their is pressure to make a move for playoffs.

Honeslty I think if we can't pull premium for Miller at the TD I don't think he is moved. Vanek should stay put. I really don't think either is moved until the next TD at the earliest if we are tanking again.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:48 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Since not a lot of people are talking about him, I posted a video of Lindholm at the WJC. It's a highlight video, but I wouldn't be disappointed with Lindholm. He hounds the puck, has nice vision, and seems to go to goal-scoring areas. I could see him turning into a good, two-way puck possession center that plays all competition.

I'd like to get whoever coaches the Swedish WJC team. I love how they play hockey.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:10 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think that's partly because Lindholm was injured (back) after scoring twice on Ullmark late in the SEL season, missing the final two games for Brynäs .. plus, being held pointless and getting swept out of the playoffs (were outscored 20-4) won't help your "hype" either .. but I agree and see his potential.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
CraniumCram
Beasts of the East

Quote:

Wow, I love that off-the-puck intensity. And he really hustles on D. Wouldn't be disappointed with that pick either if we end up around 5.

Old
03-19-2013, 02:27 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Quote:
Do. Not. Want. Barkov.

Give me MacKinnon or give me death
I'm with ya man. They have been shoving European forwards down our throats recently with Armia, Grigorenko and Girgensons. They're nice and all, but North American is the way to go, personally.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Oan

Quote:

Barkov broke all past point and goal records for 17-year olds this season (48p in 53g), and was also 9th in leaguewide scoring.

And what has other recent Finnish draftees got to do with anything? Because a lot of them didn't pan out then Barkov won't pan out either? Barkov is the most promising Finnish prospect since Selanne.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:40 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I'm with ya man. They have been shoving European forwards down our throats recently with Armia, Grigorenko and Girgensons. They're nice and all, but North American is the way to go, personally.
I posted something about this awhile ago but took it down because I thought some may get mad, but personally I agree, we are starting to get way to many Europeans in our system for my liking. If we have the 4th pick I am still taking Barkov though.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:49 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I posted something about this awhile ago but took it down because I thought some may get mad, but personally I agree, we are starting to get way to many Europeans in our system for my liking. If we have the 4th pick I am still taking Barkov though.
What makes Barkov so much better than Monahan? Monahan has good hands, great playmaking, high hockey IQ, and is a very strong two-way player. Neither he or Barkov are great skaters. I'm just not sure why people think there's such a huge degree of separation.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Oan

Of course making direct comparison is difficult, but as I said, Barkov being nearly ppg and breaking records in a pro league while also already being one of the best centers in the whole league as a 17-year old just might be some factors to look at.

Meanwhile Monahan is "only" a bit above ppg in a junior league.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:02 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
What makes Barkov so much better than Monahan? Monahan has good hands, great playmaking, high hockey IQ, and is a very strong two-way player. Neither he or Barkov are great skaters. I'm just not sure why people think there's such a huge degree of separation.
I watched Monahan come into Niagara about 5-7 times last year as a 17 year old, haven't seen him this year outside of the Super Series and Top Prospects game.

I am not the best person to ask on Barkov because I have only seen him at the World Juniors and under 18's

I believe that Barkov is almost a full year younger than Monahan and is bigger with potential to play at 6-3" 225 based on reports I have heard, will be interesting to see at the combine. Elite physical tools, from what I have seen Barkov is a slightly better skater, and a notch above in most aspects of the game, they are both do everything centers.. If JFB wants to chime in that would be good because I am positive he has seen more than I have..

Monahan looks like he has a good chance to be a #2 center, possibly a #1, where as I could see Barkov as a franchise #1 center. Monahan is very good but it same like Barkov does everything better or has the potential too. Both are very good defensively and make simple effortless plays because of their high IQ.

I would have quite easily have Lindholm, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, MacKinnon above Monahan

Closed Thread