HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi says they will NOT be buying out Richards

Old
06-20-2014, 02:11 PM
clankfu

vCash: 500
Lombardi says they will NOT be buying out Richards

lisa dillman @reallisa
Breaking news ... OK, not really. But Kings will NOT be buying out the contract of center Mike Richards, according to Dean Lombardi.

clankfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Oh no! What are we gonna do with the 200+ threads we have on him?

I would have loved to see the interview where Dean said that. He must have been so annoyed.

Reclamation Project is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I don't think there was anyone that thought there was even the slightest remote chance that Lombardi would buyout Mike Richards.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Roster thread.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

No need to unless they felt like there was no chance they could trade him next summer if he didn't bounce back.

Kings cap situation for this season is fine, they can return pretty much the entire roster and try and repeat, which the players (Richards included) earned the right to do.

Still do not believe he will be a King beyond this coming season as I feel he is much less important to the team than many other guys who need to be re-signed, but that is something to think about down the road

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Trolfoli

Thanks DL... Now what do we have to argue about until preseason? There's always the draft I guess...

Trolfoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:28 PM
Scottkmlps

Cue the, "Yeah, but he didn't say they wouldn't trade him." posts.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:30 PM
KingCanadain1976

love it so happy to hear this

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:33 PM
clankfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I don't think there was anyone that thought there was even the slightest remote chance that Lombardi would buyout Mike Richards.
You'd be surprised.

clankfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
What do you expect him to say...

"Well we're not buying him out this summer but next summer we're going to trade him so we have enough cap space to re-sign everyone"

Come on Scott, you are better than that, you know GM's don't talk like that.

You also know that someone has to go to make sure everyone is re-signed and he is one of the prime canddiates.

Old
06-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Suck it Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk board!

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:39 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
"No one's gonna take that contract."

Old
06-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
I thought you were on our side RC

Oh well atleast we still have KINGS17!

Last edited by Megustaelhockey: 06-20-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: political content
Old
06-20-2014, 02:46 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
There have been worst contacts moved.

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I thought you were on our side RC

Oh well atleast we still have KINGS17!
I still stand by my statement that if they lost Game 4 that BIG changes needed to be made. I do flip flip now and I'll gladly admit it - they won the Stanley Cup. I wouldn't trade anyone.

Last edited by Megustaelhockey: 06-20-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: political content
Old
06-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Well I feel like most people here, even those of us who think MR is done, don't want any significant trades with the Kings this summer.

I think the discussion with this team is about who they have to move on from after they get a chance to defend the cup this season.

And we likely will have answers sooner rather than later. They can start negotiating with all those guys who are FA's after this season (Williams, Muzzin, Stoll, Pearson, Martinez, Toffoli, RR) on July 1st. Makes no sense for any of the younger guys to sign because they will likely increase their value this season, but if you see Williams and Stoll re-signed then I think that answers things.

Old
06-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Peter James Bond

No surprise. No problem. I just hope MR busts it hard during the season, as he did during the playoffs. He sure wasn't playing that hard during the reg season.

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
No surprise. No problem. I just hope MR busts it hard during the season, as he did during the playoffs. He sure wasn't playing that hard during the reg season.
I still don't buy the not hustling thing, I think the guy is still a solid pro effort wise, it's just that his body and much of his hockey skills have abandoned him. Most notably his speed.

He was really good in the finals, pretty good against Anaheim, laughably bad against Chicago and ok against SJ once he was moved down the lineup. It's not an effort thing, he just needs to be put in a position to succeed, which I think he wasn't for much of the regular season (had no business on 2nd line), early in the SJ series (returned to 2nd line) and Chicago series (expected to check against much faster and talented players).

I think if he is the Kings fourth line center with no heavy defensive lifting or expected offensive production with some PP and PK time mixed in he will be better in the regular season playing against other third and fourth line players.

Old
06-20-2014, 03:20 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
He needs to work on the same program that jw did in the offseason. That was focusing a lot on his quickness (first step). With Richies hockey iq it would do wonders for his game. He was an animal for a few games in the playoffs just breaking up passes...

A lot of his issues stem from his first step IMO. If he regains that over the next few years... It's gonna be a fun ride to watch.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 03:20 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...620-story.html

"But he freely admitted that it was nowhere near where he was capable, and the root is not age or injury. It starts with the understanding that I’ve got to prepare like a 28- or 29-year-old, not a 22-year-old.

"As long as he looked me in the eye and made that promise that he would make the commitment in the offseason …Essentially, I have to trust him. Once that deadline goes, we’re locked in."

Not much to do but hope for the best, that Richards seriously dedicates to his offseason workouts and that it pays off. I still feel the best would be to move him if at all possible, I mean I'm sure the Rangers had this exact conversation with Brad Richards last summer and I'd be willing to bet he got himself in the best shape of his career in preparation for this season but still looked bad and got kicked to the curb... but it goes without saying that I have little reason not to trust Lombardi's decision in this or any other matter

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 03:32 PM
cyclones22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post

"But he freely admitted that it was nowhere near where he was capable, and the root is not age or injury. It starts with the understanding that I’ve got to prepare like a 28- or 29-year-old, not a 22-year-old.

"As long as he looked me in the eye and made that promise that he would make the commitment in the offseason …Essentially, I have to trust him. Once that deadline goes, we’re locked in."

Not much to do but hope for the best, that Richards seriously dedicates to his offseason workouts and that it pays off. I still feel the best would be to move him if at all possible, I mean I'm sure the Rangers had this exact conversation with Brad Richards last summer and I'd be willing to bet he got himself in the best shape of his career in preparation for this season but still looked bad and got kicked to the curb... but it goes without saying that I have little reason not to trust Lombardi's decision in this or any other matter
And that's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to read. Work out with Carts in the off-season and rebound. Richie was an absolute terror in Game 5. Disrupting and causing turnovers left and right. He certainly had gas in the tank for that game, but consistency starts in the off-season. Glad he owned it.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 03:41 PM
jimmy1100

I still can't believe Mike Richards has become this polarizing to Kings fans.

3 seasons - Win Cup, lose in WCF, Win Cup.

He had 27 pts in the first 32 games of the season and we don't have cap issues this year. Yet, there are people trying to figure out how exactly to get rid of him.

Even those of you clamoring for it to happen after this season baffle me. You want to rush to a decision before it needs to be made, and are doing so under the assumption that Richards won't bounce back AND that we'll need money to re-sign Stoll and Williams.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I think either Stoll or Williams regressing this next season is equally as likely as Richards is to not get any better. Bottom line is, we've got loads of time to wait and watch and make a smart decision based on more information next year. Why rush to figure it out now?

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
And we likely will have answers sooner rather than later. They can start negotiating with all those guys who are FA's after this season (Williams, Muzzin, Stoll, Pearson, Martinez, Toffoli, RR) on July 1st. Makes no sense for any of the younger guys to sign because they will likely increase their value this season, but if you see Williams and Stoll re-signed then I think that answers things.
I think Mike Richards will be playing for Jarrett Stoll's spot this coming season. That or dabbling with Richards on the wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post

This is what I think most of us were expecting to happen and glad to see it has been addressed from both sides. Like you side, lets hope Mike is able to focus and come in to camp ready to play.

I guess the one positive to take away from it is Mike acknowledging it and not making an excuse.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Other than the 38 people who post constantly about that very thing?

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Reclamation Project
Technically Missing

This is a pretty candid quote...

Quote:
"He was very candid," Lombardi said. "The most important thing is he realized he wasn’t anywhere near where he is capable of being. If he’s telling you, ‘Well, I was good.’ Then you’ve got a big problem. If he’s not able to critique himself, then we’re wasting our time.