2012 Draft Summary and HF player projections

Old
06-23-2012, 06:51 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Coyle in front of Brodin? Are you nuts? I'd go back and forth as to whether Coyle should be fourth or if Hackett should be ahead of him...
yuuuup. I mean on the Brodin part. Always going to be on the fence about goalies until they've worked more than a few NHL games. i know how Ops felt about Brodin when they drafted him and I can tell you they're even more high on him now.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:58 PM
WildGopher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
This draft was about the long game as we are pretty stocked up now. Only Dumba was a pick I would say should have fit an immediate need.

But I liked what Minnesota did; picked a bunch of guys that don't need to be signed for a while, and store them. We saw this shift a bit last year with Seeler, Lucia and Michalek after the haul in 2010. (Bulmer, Larsson, Zucker, Granlund). Minnesota is now planning long term instead of short term and maybe, just maybe one of these guys might project faster and better than where they were selected, giving Minnesota options to move around. If not, they can keep them safe in the NCAA where they can develop at their own pace.

It's hard to grade this draft because most of these guys won't be around for 4-6 years and shouldn't have an impact for at least 7-8 years down the road.
I agree. You've got one wave of prospects coming soon, so it looks like the Wild drafted this year to develop talent for the long term. You want to develop into a perpetual challenger, this is how you have to do it. I like what I'm seeing with the Wild's patience to build a quality franchise that will be competetive year after year into the future.

WildGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
This draft was about the long game as we are pretty stocked up now. Only Dumba was a pick I would say should have fit an immediate need.

But I liked what Minnesota did; picked a bunch of guys that don't need to be signed for a while, and store them. We saw this shift a bit last year with Seeler, Lucia and Michalek after the haul in 2010. (Bulmer, Larsson, Zucker, Granlund). Minnesota is now planning long term instead of short term and maybe, just maybe one of these guys might project faster and better than where they were selected, giving Minnesota options to move around. If not, they can keep them safe in the NCAA where they can develop at their own pace.

It's hard to grade this draft because most of these guys won't be around for 4-6 years and shouldn't have an impact for at least 7-8 years down the road.
This. And change your heathen subnick.

Foxlockbox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I should clarify they didn't take high risk high reward guys but low reward. I mean maybe the inconsistent power forward pans out but I wanted to see a home run type pick in the second and then who cares about the third on.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
1. Mikael Granlund
2. Matt Dumba
3. Jonas Brodin
4. Charlie Coyle
5. Johan Larsson
6. Matt Hackett
7. Zach Phillips
8. Jason Zucker
9. Brett Bulmer
10. Raphaël Bussières

Hard decision between Dumba and Brodin, but Dumba's offensive potential makes me feel like when if Wild's #1 D pairing ends up being Brodin-Dumba, he would be considered the #1 D-man. A little bit of a new toy syndrome might be present too, which is also pretty much the reason why I have Bussieres before Lucia.
This.

Dumba > Brodin.

You guys will see soon enough.

Youve got a great prospect pool btw. The Wild are going to be a very good team in the next few years.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:23 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Gotta say I'm a little underwhelmed. Rather than taking solid players with some upside, they took a lot of real long shot players. Was disappointed they didn't take any goal scorers, which we sorely lack.

Funny that it was basically dumba and then a bunch of projects who don't project to be crack the to ten.
Bussieres is a goal scorer. Maybe he molds into a power forward, but he's the reverse Bulmer in that regard, a goal scorer with grit who could build the rest of the power forward role where Bulmer was the grit and size who could build the offense for the role.

Also, the Swiss guy is primarily a goal scorer as well.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:24 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
This.

Dumba > Brodin.

You guys will see soon enough.

Youve got a great prospect pool btw. The Wild are going to be a very good team in the next few years.
I'm as high as can be on Dumba, but there wasn't a defenseman in this draft who is better than Brodin. I don't think there was a single player in this draft I would have traded Brodin for, and that includes Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Yeah, I thought we drafted plenty of potential goal-scorers. No snipers, though.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:29 PM
forthewild

Quote:
I'm as high as can be on Dumba, but there wasn't a defenseman in this draft who is better than Brodin. I don't think there was a single player in this draft I would have traded Brodin for, and that includes Yakupov and Galchenyuk.
When nik kronwall compares your poise and vision to lidstrom you cling to that person like a crazed *****.

Fully agree with you, brodin has a legit chance to be the best player out of 2011, his ability to see the play and come up with a solution is very impressive.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:30 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Yeah, I thought we drafted plenty of potential goal-scorers. No snipers, though.
Outside of Collberg, were there really any in this draft outside (or even inside) the first round though? I guess Frk is considered that, but he's a poor skater with serious injury concerns.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Who was a sniper we could have taken? Snipers are a rare breed and go high in the draft.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

I'd be willing to bet we wouldn't have taken Dumba if Brodin wasn't in the system.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:33 PM
forthewild

I will say this, I doubt GMCF passed on skill because we have too much skill, I think they took guys who they felt best fit the needs. Dreager has the upside to be a t4 dman, gunarsson too has some developing to do but the upside is there.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
Outside of Collberg, were there really any in this draft outside (or even inside) the first round though? I guess Frk is considered that, but he's a poor skater with serious injury concerns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Who was a sniper we could have taken? Snipers are a rare breed and go high in the draft.
That's my point - the scouting staff did the best they could to add supporting scorers.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:41 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I'd be willing to bet we wouldn't have taken Dumba if Brodin wasn't in the system.
I believe either Fletcher or Flahr said the exact opposite when asked that question actually.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:42 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

so the Future Foundation is set (Granlund, Brodin, Coyle, Hackett, Dumba) and we have several other pieces that should compliment them if they reach potential...some of them are bound to. I like that the common underlying theme seems to be work ethic and character. We need those, too. at the very least we won't have to scramble to pick up waiver fodder to round out our bottom six with legitimate NHL players.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:44 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
I believe either Fletcher or Flahr said the exact opposite when asked that question actually.
Did they? I'll have to be pointed to that one because i'm lazy. someone really asked that question?

Old
06-23-2012, 07:46 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Did they? I'll have to be pointed to that one because i'm lazy. someone really asked that question?
I think it was in one of Russo's articles, I'll have to see if I can find it.

Edit: not finding it, could have imagined it...

Old
06-23-2012, 07:55 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i knew they'd take D again because we need it. They no doubt had Dumba pegged as their guy (or one of them) from the start but they do make their draft list with organizational priorities in mind--i just thought actual defense has been our biggest problem the last couple of years (even though we cant' score) and Brodin is about as perfect a fit as you can get for that role. I think they would have gone for someone maybe a little stronger on the defensive side of things this year if we would have drafted, say, beaulieu last year.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:09 PM
J22

Quote:
i knew they'd take D again because we need it. They no doubt had Dumba pegged as their guy (or one of them) from the start but they do make their draft list with organizational priorities in mind--i just thought actual defense has been our biggest problem the last couple of years (even though we cant' score) and Brodin is about as perfect a fit as you can get for that role. I think they would have gone for someone maybe a little stronger on the defensive side of things this year if we would have drafted, say, beaulieu last year.
I can see where you're going with this point, but who do you think they take if the had Beaulieu instead of Brodin? Trouba maybe?

J22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:12 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
I can see where you're going with this point, but who do you think they take if the had Beaulieu instead of Brodin? Trouba maybe?
i think he was the most stay-at-home of who was there. certainly not as strong defensively as Brodin but he served another purpose (crease-clearing punisher, big shot from the point). It all worked out though I think. Dumba sounds a lot more well-rounded than Beaulieu and Brodin is definitely better defensively than Trouba.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:52 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I should clarify they didn't take high risk high reward guys but low reward. I mean maybe the inconsistent power forward pans out but I wanted to see a home run type pick in the second and then who cares about the third on.
Like who? Frk has a lot of issues and so does Scission. Outside of those two guys, who?

McCabe was gone...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:52 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Wild TV interviews with Flahr and draft selections.

Interesting to hear Flahr say they tried to move up a couple times but were unsuccessful. McCabe anyone?

Old
06-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 513
Quote:
Wild TV interviews with Flahr and draft selections.

Interesting to hear Flahr say they tried to move up a couple times but were unsuccessful. McCabe anyone?
I thought Russo said they were trying to get into the late 1st round, but the price was too high.

Al Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:38 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
I thought Russo said they were trying to get into the late 1st round, but the price was too high.
This is a quote from Flahr specifically talking about how they did on day 2. He wasn't talking about the first round at all.