HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zach Parise II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2012, 05:18 AM
  #51
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Not sure I agree with that, we already have 6 top 6 forwards and a few prospects looking to make the jump into the top 6 within the next couple years. If it was a perfect situation, we'd be contenders right now, not on the outside looking in.
We are in the outside looking in because we lack that star forward like Parise. With Parise, I believe we can be playoff contenders, because he will come in and immediately be placed on the first line, while youngsters like Granlund and Coyle will try to work themselves into the 2nd, 3rd or 4th line.

However, that still doesn't make us favorites, hence the Ryan Suter rumors

Circulartheory is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 05:29 AM
  #52
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,339
vCash: 827
You guys are dreaming if you think Parise makes us a contender. We can upgrade our offense all we want but it won't make a difference if we continue to have a crummy defense. Just look what happened to Pittsburgh this year with all their goalscoring might in the playoffs. This defense will not get us very far at all:

Brodin - Gilbert
Scandella - Spurgeon
Falk - Prosser
Kampfer

That looks awful, especially that 3rd pairing.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 05:30 AM
  #53
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,106
vCash: 500
It isn't just Parise. Its the addition of Parise as well as the introduction of Coyle, Granlund, Bulmer and Zucker, as well as improvements in Spurgeon and Scandella.

Not to mention our other new free agents.

Parise alone isn't the answer, but he's a key part

Circulartheory is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 05:33 AM
  #54
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 16,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
It isn't just Parise. Its the addition of Parise as well as the introduction of Coyle, Granlund, Bulmer and Zucker, as well as improvements in Spurgeon and Scandella.

Not to mention our other new free agents.

Parise alone isn't the answer, but he's a key part
Yes, the Wild won't be sitting in the corner crying if they don't get Suter, they'll start on the next D-man on their list!

TaLoN is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 05:59 AM
  #55
TZM
Par too easy
 
TZM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kerava
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,469
vCash: 500
I think the Wild is one of the most alluring teams right now. Bright future, while the potential with current roster has been proven. Lots of money to spend. No superstar in the locker room who thinks he's the team (excluding the F***ing All-Star).

Parise is most likely to find a long term deal. The team only gets better now and the young ones are improving. Also he gets a lot of money.

I find the Wild very appealing.

TZM is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 06:18 AM
  #56
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
You guys are dreaming if you think Parise makes us a contender. We can upgrade our offense all we want but it won't make a difference if we continue to have a crummy defense. Just look what happened to Pittsburgh this year with all their goalscoring might in the playoffs. This defense will not get us very far at all:

Brodin - Gilbert
Scandella - Spurgeon
Falk - Prosser
Kampfer

That looks awful, especially that 3rd pairing.
Yet our defense played very good november, mostly without mistakes, if we can keep even half of that throughout the season with strong forward contribution in our D-zone and improved puck transition, we're all set for some competition.

Foxlockbox is online now  
Old
06-24-2012, 07:19 AM
  #57
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
You guys are dreaming if you think Parise makes us a contender. We can upgrade our offense all we want but it won't make a difference if we continue to have a crummy defense. Just look what happened to Pittsburgh this year with all their goalscoring might in the playoffs. This defense will not get us very far at all:

Brodin - Gilbert
Scandella - Spurgeon
Falk - Prosser
Kampfer

That looks awful, especially that 3rd pairing.
we were the best team int he NHL untill we lost 3 of our top 6 forwards includling our top center in like a two week span. yes that loss is very hard to overcome when our D was crap. Our d core is better now, we got mobility in BNTG and Kampfer. you add a guy like Parise and this team is way better. We are a condender with our parise, but he will make us that much more dangerous. This year we have the luxury of using skilled guys to plug t6 holes unlike last year.

That defense is actually not that bad, 3rd pairing is probably going to be stoner-prosser which is fine unless falk decides to get this **** together, t4 has enough mobility and need i remind you of the 30+ minute games BNGT and Scandy put up towards the end of the year? yeah they played quite well

forthewild is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 08:08 AM
  #58
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
Yet our defense played very good november, mostly without mistakes, if we can keep even half of that throughout the season with strong forward contribution in our D-zone and improved puck transition, we're all set for some competition.
Last November we had quite a different defense though, as we had Schultz, Zanon and Zidlicky.

Puhis is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 08:32 AM
  #59
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Last November we had quite a different defense though, as we had Schultz, Zanon and Zidlicky.
Yup but I think why they played so well was attributed alot to Yeo and his system, besides Zanon's job got stolen by the youngsters, Zidlicky was horrified because why the hell should he learn a new system, Schultz was just streets behind.

Foxlockbox is online now  
Old
06-24-2012, 10:25 AM
  #60
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Last November we had quite a different defense though, as we had Schultz, Zanon and Zidlicky.
And we replaced them with Gilbert, Brodin, and hopefully a free agent. So we greatly improved.

squidz* is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:05 PM
  #61
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 13,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
And we replaced them with Gilbert, Brodin, and hopefully a free agent. So we greatly improved.
But what happens when 2+ of those kids get hurt?

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:10 PM
  #62
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 5,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
And we replaced them with Gilbert, Brodin, and hopefully a free agent. So we greatly improved.
Personally, I don't think we improved greatly. If anything, I think we got worse. However, our future does like bright.

I think if Spurgeon, Scandella, and Stoner improve a bit (which I think will happen due to the amount of minutes they played last season) and they sign another defenseman during free agency, it will look just as solid.

Gilbert-Spurgeon
Scandella-Stoner
Falk - Prosser
Kampfer/UFA

Circulartheory is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:11 PM
  #63
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
But what happens when 2+ of those kids get hurt?
Kampfer, Prosser, Falk, Cuma, Lorenz, Genoway, Medvec, Jobke, Caron, Krupp, Bagnall

squidz* is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:15 PM
  #64
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Personally, I don't think we improved greatly. If anything, I think we got worse. However, our future does like bright.

I think if Spurgeon, Scandella, and Stoner improve a bit (which I think will happen due to the amount of minutes they played last season) and they sign another defenseman during free agency, it will look just as solid.

Gilbert-Spurgeon
Scandella-Stoner
Falk - Prosser
Kampfer/UFA
Scandella-Gilbert
UFA-Brodin
Stoner-Spurgeon
Falk/Prosser

With depth in Houston of Kampfer, Cuma, Lorenz, Genoway.

Compare that to:

Schultz-Zidlicky
Scandella-Spurgeon
Stoner-Zanon
Falk

With depth in Houston of...Fredheim? You're going to have a really really hard time arguing that set is better than the first one listed. Neither has a #1 D man, but I'd argue Scandella-Gilbert is better than Schultz-Zidlicky. Both the middle and bottom pairings have been upgraded and we actually have some hockey players for depth.

squidz* is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 01:54 PM
  #65
Marcolepsy Scandella
Registered User
 
Marcolepsy Scandella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 703
vCash: 50
You have to remember too that defense was not our issue last year. It was the inability to score. One thing we know is that we're probably going to get at least one D man in free agency. Either Suter, Wideman, Garrison, or Carle. I don't think Chuck will let us miss on all of them. So let's say we miss on Suter and get a guy like Carle from Philly. He's at least a top 4 defenseman IMO. So our D core would look like this.

Carle-Gilbert
Scandella-Brodin
Stoner-Spurgeon
Falk/Prosser

This is a pretty realistic scenario IMO. In an ideal world we would get Suter and he would play with Gilbert on the top pairing OR, we use the money we would've spent on Suter and possibly get two of those guys I listed earlier. Maybe Carle and Wideman. That would be a dream come true IMO, and would really solidify our D core. You also have to take into account that Dumba could potentially make the team if he impresses at camp.

I think any way you look at it our D is not going to be a problem. It will be as good if not better than it was last year. Zidlicky got us like 3 points all year until he was finally traded, Schultz was a great guy but players like him (talent wise) are a dime a dozen these days. Zanon was good for blocking shots but that was about it and I think Scandella really developed last year and will hopefully come to camp a better, smarter player. I just don't see any way that our defense can get worse unless Chuck actively blows up the back end for no reason.

Marcolepsy Scandella is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 01:58 PM
  #66
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 7,149
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by centcougar07 View Post
You have to remember too that defense was not our issue last year. It was the inability to score. .
You're only partially correct. In order to maintain any sort of offensive attack, you need to have quality blueliners who can break the puck out of the defensive zone and/or hit the forwards in stride with accurate passes. We didn't have that last year.

Simply chipping the puck off the glass or boards to get it out of the zone doesn't cut it.

MuckOG is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:00 PM
  #67
IronRangeHockey
Registered User
 
IronRangeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Iron Range
Country: United States
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
And we replaced them with Gilbert, Brodin, and hopefully a free agent. So we greatly improved.
Hopefully someone accountable, someone with size, and maybe even just a fundementally sound blueliner. Yeo practically rode Gilbert into the ground, (jmo, he logged way to many minutes, thanks to a pretty bad stable of d).

Looking forward to the days of Brodin and Dumba.

IronRangeHockey is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:01 PM
  #68
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
You're only partially correct. In order to maintain any sort of offensive attack, you need to have quality blueliners who can break the puck out of the defensive zone and/or hit the forwards in stride with accurate passes. We didn't have that last year.

Simply chipping the puck off the glass or boards to get it out of the zone doesn't cut it.
Furthermore, once in the offensive zone, teams that can actually score utilize their defensemen. Once we were in the offensive zone, the second a forward moved the puck back to a defenseman, it was turned over or bobbled and leaked out of the zone. I can probably count on one hand the number of times we saw a successful D to D pass by this team.

squidz* is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:04 PM
  #69
IronRangeHockey
Registered User
 
IronRangeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Iron Range
Country: United States
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Furthermore, once in the offensive zone, teams that can actually score utilize their defensemen. Once we were in the offensive zone, the second a forward moved the puck back to a defenseman, it was turned over or bobbled and leaked out of the zone. I can probably count on one hand the number of times we saw a successful D to D pass by this team.
I cant count on one hand how many times i saw Scandella responible for those awwsheyuts!

IronRangeHockey is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:15 PM
  #70
Marcolepsy Scandella
Registered User
 
Marcolepsy Scandella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 703
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
You're only partially correct. In order to maintain any sort of offensive attack, you need to have quality blueliners who can break the puck out of the defensive zone and/or hit the forwards in stride with accurate passes. We didn't have that last year.

Simply chipping the puck off the glass or boards to get it out of the zone doesn't cut it.
Fair enough. That's why Chuck needs to go get one of those free agent D men (at least one). Then we need Gilbert to be more consistent, Scandella to keep progressing and hope that Brodin and/or MAYBE Dumba can chip in and be a pleasant surprise.

Marcolepsy Scandella is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:25 PM
  #71
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 11,985
vCash: 500
I want Scandella to play with Gilbert next year. He really seemed to settle the youngster down.

Dr Jan Itor is online now  
Old
06-24-2012, 03:43 PM
  #72
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,339
vCash: 827
For some reason I kept forgetting about Stoner, not sure why.

Scandella - Gilbert
Stoner - Spurgeon
Brodin - Prosser
Falk

Scandella on the 1st pairing is disgusting. He struglled big time playing too many minutes last season and unless we can bring in a top 4 d-man, he'll struggle again.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 03:52 PM
  #73
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 23,740
vCash: 50
much rather see Kampfer get regular ice than prosser. probably just me. as ineffective as all of them were I think I cursed more at Prosser's stupidity than i did anyone else.

rynryn is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 04:11 PM
  #74
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
For some reason I kept forgetting about Stoner, not sure why.

Scandella - Gilbert
Stoner - Spurgeon
Brodin - Prosser
Falk

Scandella on the 1st pairing is disgusting. He struglled big time playing too many minutes last season and unless we can bring in a top 4 d-man, he'll struggle again.
Scandella looked good when paired with Gilbert. He definitely did not struggle playing big minutes last season. The more he played, the better he did. The games he struggled he didn't manage to hit 20 minutes of TOI generally. Considering our options, if we don't snag Suter, our top pairing will be either Scandella-Gilbert or Brodin-Gilbert in all likelihood. I'd rather see that be Scandella, at least to start the season.

squidz* is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 04:12 PM
  #75
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
much rather see Kampfer get regular ice than prosser. probably just me. as ineffective as all of them were I think I cursed more at Prosser's stupidity than i did anyone else.
The question is whether Fletcher's willing to bury Prosser in Houston or not though. Kampfer is waiver exempt, Falk and Prosser are not.

squidz* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.