HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[TOR/PHI] Luke Schenn to PHI for James Van Riemsdyk

Old
06-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
No, every team has fanbases with idiots and well intentioned decent people. The reason, in my opinion, TO attracts more attention from the haters than everyone else is because of the attitude that it is peerless. That hockey in TO and the fans etc are somehow better or more important than everyone else's.
We are more important than everybody else, not because we demand it but because everybody else feels like it's somehow appropriate to make a big deal out of everything that comes out of Toronto. Why are you, personally, as a Caps fan living in Nova Scotia, commenting on some tangential point about a Toronto trade in the first place? Multiply that ugly fascination by whatever, and you have hfboards with their panties in a twist over nothing.

Quote:
TSN's hockey coverage revolves around the Leafs and other teams' fans become, justifiably so, resentful and jaded. You have to expect a push back. People are going to hate. There is also the annoying fact that despite being one of the worst teams over the course of the past several years, they still receive a bulk of the attention.
It might just be that TSN comes out of Toronto, and TSN is a part of a huge conglomerate that owns the Toronto Maple Leafs. Maybe HNIC pays a lot of attention to the Leafs cause they pay the bills, and because without the Leafs, there would be no tradition of HNIC in the first place. Maybe the fact that hockey mass media essentially finds its roots in Toronto and the Leafs that there is so much coverage.

Quote:
In addition, and maybe this is just a result of having a lot more fans in your fan base than other teams, the Leafs seem to have a larger number of loudly vocal "knuckleheads". Every team in every sport has them but I've never seen so many for any other team as there are for the Leafs, both here and in every day life. The sense of entitlement and superiority would be understandable if they were dominating the League, but they simply aren't and yet they remain loud, in your face, and superior minded.

Again: Every fan base has them as well as every fan base has intelligent and reasoned fans. And the Leafs have a ton of those. A very good friend of mine and coworker is a Leafs fan and he is very well informed and even keeled when dispensing hockey opinions. But, unfortunately, with a huge fan base comes a large number of vocal people who will annoy others.

Not everyone hates the Leafs for no reason or because it is en vogue. I don't. Many people are just sick to death of them being the center of the universe all the time.
Like you said, there's morons in every fan base, and when the fan base is huge, that idiocy scales itself up. That said, it's easy to pick on us because our team sucks.

As far as the Leafs being the centre of the universe, I'm sure Leaf fans are sick and tired of paying massive ticket prices to keep some of your franchises afloat.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 05:54 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
We are more important than everybody else, not because we demand it but because everybody else feels like it's somehow appropriate to make a big deal out of everything that comes out of Toronto. Why are you, personally, as a Caps fan living in Nova Scotia, commenting on some tangential point about a Toronto trade in the first place? Multiply that ugly fascination by whatever, and you have hfboards with their panties in a twist over nothing.

It might just be that TSN comes out of Toronto, and TSN is a part of a huge conglomerate that owns the Toronto Maple Leafs. Maybe HNIC pays a lot of attention to the Leafs cause they pay the bills, and because without the Leafs, there would be no tradition of HNIC in the first place. Maybe the fact that hockey mass media essentially finds its roots in Toronto and the Leafs that there is so much coverage.

Like you said, there's morons in every fan base, and when the fan base is huge, that idiocy scales itself up. That said, it's easy to pick on us because our team sucks.

As far as the Leafs being the centre of the universe, I'm sure Leaf fans are sick and tired of paying massive ticket prices to keep some of your franchises afloat.
Your apparent anger and tone are my exact point. Why does this have to be so hostile? That's exactly the attitude that I was talking about. Some people think that without the Leafs the world would continue to turn. You seem to disagree.

Btw, I'm a Caps fan living in Nova Scotia (not even sure how that's relevant to anything) because I grew up in DC (hence the name - former DC resident) and now live in Halifax. I assume that is OK. Maybe not. I'm commenting in this thread because that is what it is here for - not because it is about the Leafs. Every one of use comment in threads that have nothing to do with our respective teams. We are fans of Hockey.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Mahleezer

That's a crap trade for TO... and I have no problems with cause I'm a Habs fan!

It's as if TO's mission is to improve other teams.

Refer to Boston for more details.

Mahleezer is offline   Reply With Quote