HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs trade Schenn for Van Reimsdyk

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 01:04 PM
91Kadri91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
And you don't think captains call out players every day? It is part of their job!

Hell, it is well known that Gretzky and Messier (especially Messier) lost it on Lemieux, one of the greatest players ever, during the 1987 Canada Cup and called him out for floating. Look how well he played after the dressing down they gave him.
It's one thing to call him out (privately), but it's another to call him out and then go to your GM and be part of what caused him to be traded. That's not the Captains job, in my opinion.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
And you don't think captains call out players every day? It is part of their job!

Hell, it is well known that Gretzky and Messier (especially Messier) lost it on Lemieux, one of the greatest players ever, during the 1987 Canada Cup and called him out for floating. Look how well he played after the dressing down they gave him.
I remember seeing an interview where a couple of players were talking about Phaneuf as captain and they said that Phaneuf will call the team out but they also said that he's the first one to acknowledge his faults and says he needs to be better. I remember Aulie saying that Phaneuf gauges the personalities in the locker room so when he interacts with each individual, he makes it comfortable and easy for the guys. People can knock his on ice game and question his leadership on the ice, but behind closed doors, I think he has the respect of his teammates and I think his teammates see a whole other side of Phaneuf that the public would be surprised to learn about him.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:06 PM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

I think JVR has a real good chance to flourish in the blue and white

Old
06-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Um, he said that he was not discussing Schenn with the Flyers at the deadline, and Holmgrem himself confirmed that those were exactly the principles involved during their deadline discussions.
I remember the oilers quote but not this one.

Provide me with a link.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:07 PM
TheMadHatTrick

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...-19242976.html

Burke: “I talked to Luke today and (told him) we are not in trade discussions with him. I told Luke that is not a guarantee that he would not be traded or that something would not materialize, but we are not in discussions with any team about him right now.”

Paul Holmgrem: "“It came up again [Friday] and we talked about it,” he said. “I believe it’s a good trade for both teams. It certainly fills a need for us and I think it fills a need for Brian’s team as well in terms of what they’re looking to do.”

Old
06-24-2012, 01:08 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I remember the oilers quote but not this one.

Provide me with a link.
It's hard to find the older quotes, but I'll post them when I find them.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:09 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Kadri91 View Post
It's one thing to call him out (privately), but it's another to call him out and then go to your GM and be part of what caused him to be traded. That's not the Captains job, in my opinion.
And how do you know he approached Burke? It is just as plausible that Burke approached him for an opinion.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Max-ed