HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Morgan Rielly Pull A Luke Schenn?

Old
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
If Fowler can make the Anaheim Ducks, Rielly can as well.

It'll really depend on his off-season training. By his combine results, seems like he's all ready on his way.

Realistically, he's a year away from serious consideration.
The only thing stopping Rielly from making the team out of camp is himself. Which prospects realistically have a chance to make the team out of camp?

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I personally would want him back in the Juniors, We have no rush to bring him up and we aren't the oilers or the islaners who just put them in the bigs immediately forgetting development process.

06-23-2012, 05:25 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
I think some of you are missing the OP's question. His question is if Rielly can do what Schenn did here, that is make the team out of training camp after getting drafted by them 3 months earlier. He is not trying to compare the players. So far all scouting reports point to no, regarding Rielly making the big club. When Schenn was drafted, he was pegged as the most NHL ready defensemen, the only one in this draft seems to Ryan Murray.
I don't think 08' Schenn would have made the Leafs with the current defense they have now. If I remember, I think he displaced Exelby or Finger.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Thomas Malthus
The Dismal Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
Indeed. If Burke signs Schultz, I see the Leafs D-core looking something like this next year...

Jake Gardiner - Dion Phaneuf
J.M. Liles - Korbinian Holzer
Carl Gunnarsson - Justin Schultz

Still not that great, but getting Luongo could help a lot.
What about Franson and Komisarek? Also, I don't think Gardiner goes from playing sheltered minutes last season to facing top competition alongside Phaneuf this season. Gunnarsson's minutes can't be replaced internally in my opinion. He starts the majority of his nonneutral zone shifts in the defensive zone against top quality competition and does a good job of limiting their effectiveness. He wasn't as good as Girardi but he was very solid.

Thomas Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:30 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Putting him in the Minors doesn't do well, either he stays with the club or he gets sent down to the WHL.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:42 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

nah too soon.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I think trading Schenn looks very good on paper if you are Schultz. This guy wants to sign with a team that he can make, and at this point with Schenn gone its not a stretch that he doesn't fit right in.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:49 PM
philer Bozel
It's Playoff Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gilmour View Post
The only thing stopping Rielly from making the team out of camp is himself. Which prospects realistically have a chance to make the team out of camp?
I disagree. Kadri was amazing his draft year and got sent down. If they have there mind made up on Rielly going down he's going down. Unless he becomes a Letang at camp.

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:52 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
I would give Reilly two years and half the year in the AHL, and then he can move up.
LOL....good job that it is hockey people making the decision......wait til you see him. He would easily make the team this year in our top 4. He will however go back to Jr and play one more year there. He will not see the AHL at all in my opinion as he is just too dam good.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

He will spend at least another year in the minors.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Why rush him? Let him go back to the W, play in the world juniors and gain momentum. There's not really a spot for him anyway if Schultz is signed.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Liminality

I think because of his injury I'd like to see him in the WHL for at least another year to see where he's at with his conditioning. If he had played the full season and dominated then he probably could have pushed for a spot in the NHL. It could have also meant he might have went 2nd overall instead of Murray.

Either way I'm sure Burke will try to be patient with him just like other top prospects he's had.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:00 PM
RogerRoeper*

Schenn wouldn't have made the Leafs if Burke was GM.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:03 PM
bigdirty

Schenn had played a total of 208 WHL games(including playoffs) when we drafted him.

Rielly has only played a total of 94 WHL games, and despite his upside, I don't think he has much of a chance to make the team without some added experience.
18 year old d-men usually don't play in the NHL anyway, much less one who missed so much time.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:09 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
I mean anything is possible. Could turn up at camp and just completely wow everyone with his skill. Still, think he'll end up back in the WHL anyways. After missing that year might as well let him go and continue to develop. Go light up the league and get some good experiences like going to the World Juniors.

So he certainly could, but think it'll be for the best if he goes back for at least a year.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:15 PM
kesleaf

This kid is just coming off an injury. You can't just throw him in the deep end just yet. I'd give him 1-2 years to develop and take it from there. You can't rush development.

kesleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Even if he impresses at training camp, I'd rather take the safe route and give him another year in the WHL, then maybe some seasoning in the AHL. His potential is too high to risk rushing him and hurting his development.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:20 PM
ponder

He should definitely go back to the dub IMO. We already have 3 good left d on the team (Gunnarsson, Gardiner and Liles), I don't see Rielly unseating any of them right away, especially not after missing more-or-less an entire season with his knee injury. Let him develop and dominate with Moose Jaw.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:24 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

With the threat of a delay in training camp, he probably won't even see training camp. He'll stay with his junior team. They start camp in August, and play exhibition games in early Sept. He'll be there, and by the time NHL camps open, he'll be well on his way.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Stephen

I want to see Rielly rip apart the CHL, play for Team Canada and build a ton of confidence coming to camp in 2013-14.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:28 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

No matter how good he does at training camp, I expect another year or two of junior before we see Rielly on the big club. He missed a ton of development this season and while training camp will be beneficial, that year of junior will pay dividends I imagine.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:51 PM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin View Post
Even if he impresses at training camp, I'd rather take the safe route and give him another year in the WHL, then maybe some seasoning in the AHL. His potential is too high to risk rushing him and hurting his development.
Yup. Leafs have already said they think he needs another year because of how much he missed last year. If he was our best D in training camp and lead the pre season in scoring he might get his 9 games. I would like to see him go straight to junior after training camp while he works on getting stronger, gaining weight and dominating at that level. A spot on the World Junior team wouldn't hurt either. It would also reduce his chances of agravating the injury playing against smaller , weaker players. The next year anything is possible.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
He should go to the WHL this following season no matter how his training camp goes in my opinion. Send him to Moose Jaw with a list of things they would like to see him try to improve. Then the following year in 2013-2014 (although this is getting to be a ways away so anything can happen) as of right now I would like to see at least start in the AHL. Ease him into playing against men, if the Leafs needs him in the NHL, they can call him up part way through the season. If there is no need for him I don't mind him spending the year down in the AHL either. The 3rd season from now I hope he plays on the leafs full time.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Leafs03

yeahh lets let him play him and ruin his development......dont you think thats what went wrong with Schenn? we need to give the guy a year or 2 to develop....

Leafs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:37 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
yeahh lets let him play him and ruin his development......dont you think thats what went wrong with Schenn? we need to give the guy a year or 2 to develop....
Schenn main problem was Wilson.......

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote