HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Justin Schultz

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 05:57 PM
wreckingcru

vCash: 500
Justin Schultz

IMO, and are front-runners. Canucks are a dark horse. Schultz does want to play in Canada, all three teams fill that need. He wants to have a guaranteed roster spot. Canucks do not have this, as they are a championship team with no room to make guarantees for roster spots. Oilers and Leafs can make that (before Leafs couldn't but with Schenn moved...) Leafs have a slight advantage with Gardiner. Oilers keep on saying he would want to play with the PP of Oilers. While that is true, Leafs now have a great group of forwards. Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, Macarthur, JVR, Kadri, Frattin, Kulimen, Grabovski

Oilers: Yakupov, Gagner, Eberle, RNH, Hall, Smyth, Hemsky, Horcoff, Eric Belanger

RIGHT NOW: Kessel>Hall, Bozak<RNH, Lupul>Eberle Yakupov<JVR (Yaku has no experience whatsoever in the AHL or NHL), Smyth>Kulimen, Grabovski>Gagner, Kadri>Belanger,Macarthur=Hemsky, Frattin>Horcoff....as you can see the forwards are pretty much even right now, and with the substantial better defence, well Schultz will be playing with a much better team that will probably make the playoffs this year.

Rangers are apparently high on his list too, however he wants to play in Canada sooo.....

What do you guys think? Who lands Schultz?

Last edited by wreckingcru: 06-24-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 05:59 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Rangers are high upon on the list as well. You have to think McDonagh and Stepan (his college teamates) have done a heavy sales job on him.

06-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
On the flip side, because the Canucks are a contender, he might prefer to sign here.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingcru View Post
IMO, and are front-runners. Canucks are a dark horse. Schultz does want to play in Canada, all three teams fill that need. He wants to have a guaranteed roster spot. Canucks do not have this, as they are a championship team with no room to make guarantees for roster spots. Oilers and Leafs can make that (before Leafs couldn't but with Schenn moved...) Leafs have a slight advantage with Gardiner. Oilers keep on saying he would want to play with the PP of Oilers. While that is true, Leafs now have a great group of forwards. Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, Macarthur, JVR, Kadri, Frattin, Kulimen, Grabovski

Oilers: Yakupov, Gagner, Eberle, RNH, Hall, Smyth, Hemsky, Horcoff, Eric Belanger

RIGHT NOW: Kessel>Hall, Bozak<RNH, Lupul<Eberle, Yakupov>JVR (Yaku has no experience whatsoever in the AHL or NHL), Smyth>Kulimen, Grabovski>Gagner, Kadri>Belanger,Macarthur<Hemsky, Frattin>Horcoff....as you can see the forwards are pretty much even right now, and with the substantial better defence, well Schultz will be playing with a much better team that will probably make the playoffs this year.

Fixed some of that for you.

Long term - EDM. Although the issue about expiring ELCs does give a major concern.

To be honest, the only push I see that Toronto has is Gardiner and the fact that we're considered (well mostly self-considered) the centre of the hockey universe. If Schultz desires the attention, there's no better place. Other than that....Edmonton has the edge. It's all personal preference if the Leafs are to land him. EDM's in a much better state looking on the immediate surface than we are I'm afraid.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:01 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Rangers are high upon on the list as well. You have to think McDonagh and Stepan (his college teamates) have done a heavy sales job on him.
true, but not sure if he can crack the rangers D to get the icetime he wants.
i'm sure you're a team they'll be talking about on tuesday (when he meets with his agents in toronto).

06-23-2012, 06:03 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingcru View Post

RIGHT NOW: Kessel>Hall, Bozak<RNH, Lupul<Eberle Yakupov>JVR (Yaku has no experience whatsoever in the AHL or NHL), Smyth>Kulimen, Grabovski>Gagner, Kadri>Belanger,Macarthur=Hemsky, Frattin>Horcoff....as you can see the forwards are pretty much even right now, and with the substantial better defence, well Schultz will be playing with a much better team that will probably make the playoffs this year.

That's more like it.

Bias leaf fan.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:05 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Bye Stefan Elliott

eberle is without a doubt better than lupul, jvr might have a better year than yakupov next season, but it wont be long before yakupov will be on a completely different level.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:05 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Not saying it's likely.. but I wouldn't be surprised to hear Chicago nab him.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:06 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
true, but not sure if he can crack the rangers D to get the icetime he wants.
i'm sure you're a team they'll be talking about on tuesday (when he meets with his agents in toronto).
If he's ready to play, our RD is really thin right now and he can slot in to our second pairing. If/when Sauer gets back Sauer can play on the 3rd pair.

Torts has shown he loves playing rookies and if he's ready will give him plenty of ice time.

McD-Girardi
Staal-Schultz
MDZ-Erixon/Sauer/Eminger/Bickel

There will be plenty of time available to him.

Old
stavs

if the leafs get rid of another d-man: preferably Franson or Komi, then that will open up enough time to keep Schultz satifisfied.

Burke also has the tendency to go after the players he has drafted in the past so no matter what the outcome, I expect Burke to make a huge push for him

Old
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

Toronto trading Schenn creates an opening and Schultz can come right in and have a shot to make the team out of camp.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:07 PM
LukeD
On Fire

Feaster will try and throw a ridiculous amount of money at him.

Old
nabob
Hall for captain

Sather vs Burke vs Gillis vs Tambellini

One of these guys is not like the others.

Old
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Interesting to see:

Leafs: Have Gardiner who played with Schultz... (though i'm not really sure how this is an argument. Canucks have Labate who played with him last season and teams like NYR have players who played with him)

Oilers: If I was Schultz I would seriously consider Edmonton as they are a young squad that really needs d-men to fill holes... but I would be demanding some serious playing time.

Canucks: Toughest line-up to crack. Will probably need to battle Tanev for 5/6 Spot but Schultz absolutely fills a Canuck positional need on the right-side and PP. Also the Canucks are his favourite team and he is from BC.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 4420
I'm sure Schultz could get ~ first pairing minutes with Edmonton, if that's what he's looking for. I think the best thing for his development though would be to go to a team and receive more sheltered minutes and work his way up from there. I'm a Vancouver fan saying this, so obviously I hope he becomes a Canuck. But regardless of whether he comes here or not, I would think he would do better in a destination like NY or Det, or somewhere along those lines. I think that allows him the opportunity for his biggest payday when his first pro contract expires.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:08 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Are also VERY high up on his list, FYI.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:09 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
Everyone can only throw the same amount of money at him... ELC. It's basically where-ever he wants to play.

Old
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
It has to be a standard ELC.

Old
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeLoBlue View Post
Fixed some of that for you.

Long term - EDM. Although the issue about expiring ELCs does give a major concern.

To be honest, the only push I see that Toronto has is Gardiner and the fact that we're considered (well mostly self-considered) the centre of the hockey universe. If Schultz desires the attention, there's no better place. Other than that....Edmonton has the edge. It's all personal preference if the Leafs are to land him. EDM's in a much better state looking on the immediate surface than we are I'm afraid.
Add in familiarity with the Leafs management group and coaching staff as well.

He was drafted under Burke/Nonis and every training camp he's ever attended was run by Carlyle.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Flowzak
I saw, I conquered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Interesting to see:

Leafs: Have Gardiner who played with Schultz... (though i'm not really sure how this is an argument. Canucks have Labate who played with him last season and teams like NYR have players who played with him)

Oilers: If I was Schultz I would seriously consider Edmonton as they are a young squad that really needs d-men to fill holes... but I would be demanding some serious playing time.

Canucks: Toughest line-up to crack. Will probably need to battle Tanev for 5/6 Spot but Schultz absolutely fills a Canuck positional need on the right-side and PP. Also the Canucks are his favourite team and he is from BC.
Apparently they're pretty darn good friends (constantly talk) and given how this is the first time he'll play pro, I guess there's a pull to go play with someone he's close to? I dunno. Obviously it's not the best reason out of all the other possible ones, but it's definitely one to consider. Mind you he's still a young player, not some veteran who's used to how FA works.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:11 PM
bigfatfist

Lupol better than Eberle? Frattin better than Horcoff? The 1st is ridiculous. And on the 2nd, Horcoff scored more goals this year than Frattin has in his entire NHL career.

I appreciate you trying to work out who would be a better fit - but at this point we're running on rampant speculation and 'facts' from the two loudest fan bases (on this issue).

Old
06-23-2012, 06:13 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Everyone can only throw the same amount of money at him... ELC. It's basically where-ever he wants to play.
This!

Old
06-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Wouldn't be surprised if Shero tried to get him and one of Weber or Suter and moved Martin for forward Depth.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:17 PM
ChillyPalmer

He won't get any ice time with the Rangers, limited time with the Canucks.

If it comes down between the Oilers and Leafs, I think he ends up in Toronto.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:17 PM
bigfatfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeLoBlue View Post
Apparently they're pretty darn good friends (constantly talk) and given how this is the first time he'll play pro, I guess there's a pull to go play with someone he's close to? I dunno. Obviously it's not the best reason out of all the other possible ones, but it's definitely one to consider. Mind you he's still a young player, not some veteran who's used to how FA works.
This 'friendship' aspect has spiraled out of control through the message boards. It's gone from reports of 'they played together,' to 'they were best friends' to 'they've always dreamed and plotted to play their NHL career together' to 'they've ritually sacrificed a goat to the hockey gods so as to never be separated.' There are no interviews or sources that we can point to. This is basically each poster citing the previous poster.

The hockey world is small. These guys have lots of friends. They don't make huge sweeping decisions based on where one of them happens to play.

Closed Thread