HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Justin Schultz

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Beziro

vCash: 500
EDM vs VAN vs TOR

I'd rate in order: EDM, VAN, TOR as the Canadian teams Schultz would prefer to play for.

EDM has the young-talented group, most available TOI for a defenceman (would become the #1 d-man on the roster instantly), the chance to be part of a future Cup Champion group, and the Western Canada factor. Pretty much everything he wants, he can have with the Oilers.

VAN has a top-4 spot available with Sami Salo as a pending UFA, he is good friends with Canucks draft pick and Wisconsin centre Joseph Labate, the hometown factor being from West Kelowna (Western Canada), his parents/friends are huge Canucks fans, and the opportunity to play for the Stanley Cup right away, not to mention the Canucks were shopping Marc-Andre Gragnani at the draft.

The Canucks shopped Marc-Andre Gragnani over the weekend but found no takers. Gragnani hasnít been given a qualying offer yet by the Canucks. If he isnít by Mondayís 5 pm ET deadline, heíll turn UFA July 1.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...winds-at-draft

TOR is starting to build a solid foundation. His Wisconsin Badger teammate Jake Gardiner is a huge plus and would definitely be part of the Leafs top 4 as linemates together well into the future. However, the drafting of Rielly and Finn, and the organizational depth at D now makes me backtrack from the Leafs as the 3rd most likelihood landing spot.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:46 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
I only see the Canadian media not mentioning the Rangers

I thought he wanted to play in New York?

It's not that hard to do that. It's been speculated that he wants to play with familiar people/places to him.

Stepan and McDonagh are on the Rangers. Gardiner is on Toronto. Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver are from around his area. He'd be close to home there.

Those are the teams in on him that have a shot at him taking their offer IMO. Outside of those teams, there is really no place he'd want to play. Everyone is going to offer him the max ELC. He'll have a choice to make.

The appeal of NYC to NHL players is this: Much less pressure by the media and much less attention in a big city. Players can get lost in NY with the other sports taking precedent, with football, basketball, and the MLB playoffs and beginning of regular season taking place at the same time. It's a big draw because you get the perks of the big city but the attention of an average market. It's a big reason, along with Torts, that Brad Richards signed with them.

Some of that might change now with the success of the team this past season, but it's not the pressure cooker Toronto or Vancouver would be. Similar in Calgary. The best Canadian team for him is Edmonton. Smaller city, but big hockey fans. Young team with lower expectations where he can learn how to play the game at the NHL level with top tier forward prospects.
We all agree that NYR is a great place to play but reports have been that Schultz wants to play on a Canadian team. If he wanted less pressure he could have stayed in Anahiem, where i'm sure he also knows people after multiple camps.

Again if I was him i'd be looking at the Oilers and Canucks. Favourite/home team = Canacuks (who have an opening on his side of d...) and the Oilers who can give loads of time and have such a young group.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:51 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Are also VERY high up on his list, FYI.
We have been following this saga for a couple of months and he hasn't said BOO to anyone...How do you know this to be true???

Old
06-23-2012, 06:54 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beziro View Post
I'd rate in order: EDM, VAN, TOR as the Canadian teams Schultz would prefer to play for.

EDM has the young-talented group, most available TOI for a defenceman (would become the #1 d-man on the roster instantly), the chance to be part of a future Cup Champion group, and the Western Canada factor. Pretty much everything he wants, he can have with the Oilers.

VAN has a top-4 spot available with Sami Salo as a pending UFA, he is good friends with Canucks draft pick and Wisconsin centre Joseph Labate, the hometown factor being from West Kelowna (Western Canada), his parents/friends are huge Canucks fans, and the opportunity to play for the Stanley Cup right away, not to mention the Canucks were shopping Marc-Andre Gragnani at the draft.

The Canucks shopped Marc-Andre Gragnani over the weekend but found no takers. Gragnani hasnít been given a qualying offer yet by the Canucks. If he isnít by Mondayís 5 pm ET deadline, heíll turn UFA July 1.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...winds-at-draft

TOR is starting to build a solid foundation. His Wisconsin Badger teammate Jake Gardiner is a huge plus and would definitely be part of the Leafs top 4 as linemates together well into the future. However, the drafting of Rielly and Finn, and the organizational depth at D now makes me backtrack from the Leafs as the 3rd most likelihood landing spot.
Reilly and Finn are non factors for at least 2-3 years..You really think JS is going to make on a desicion of who was drafted by the Leafs??? Honestly???

Old
06-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Are also VERY high up on his list, FYI.
as a Ranger fan I agree they will be in on it especially with former teamates Stepan and McDonaugh but if the kid wants to play the Leafs will give him that for sure

Ranger strength is D although they may deal one for a scoring forward.
At this time McD, Girardi, Staal, DZ , Erixon, McIlrath and hopefully a healthy Sauer. They are pretty strong at that spot. Plus they qualified Stralman and likely want a vet for depth via Free Agency

Old
06-23-2012, 06:59 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I love how people are bringing his character into question, like they've been in his situation before. Angry duck fans maybe?

Why? Because he has a chance at such a young age to pick a team and situation he wants to play for? Give me a break.

It is not like he is pulling a Lindros and trying to break the rules. He is following the rules, he most likely signs with the Ducks if he didn't have the chance to be a UFA.

At such a young age, after college and a career infront of him, he has the chance to make himself happy. Good on him.

If he really wants to play in Canada, good for him. If he wants the money? who cares.

The draft especially with NCAA college kids is a gamble, you may never have them suit up 4 years later.
Why even have the draft then, just let everyone sign where they want to the highest bidder?

Old
06-23-2012, 07:01 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
It's my impression that things will go like this on July 1st ----

Schultz - I want to play in Canada.

Detroit, New York and San Jose - Ahhh damn.

Schultz - I want some reassurances that I'll be able to play top 4 minutes.

Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal - Ahhhh damn

Edmonton - Well, Whitney only has one year left at at this point Peter Forsberg would probably make a better defenseman than Ryan Whitney

Old
06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
sayheykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I love how people are bringing his character into question, like they've been in his situation before.
He exploited a bad loophole in the CBA and intentionally deceived Anaheim's front office. These things don't scream high character individual to me.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Interesting to see:

Leafs: Have Gardiner who played with Schultz... (though i'm not really sure how this is an argument. Canucks have Labate who played with him last season and teams like NYR have players who played with him)

Oilers: If I was Schultz I would seriously consider Edmonton as they are a young squad that really needs d-men to fill holes... but I would be demanding some serious playing time.

Canucks: Toughest line-up to crack. Will probably need to battle Tanev for 5/6 Spot but Schultz absolutely fills a Canuck positional need on the right-side and PP. Also the Canucks are his favourite team and he is from BC.
Compared to Edm and Tor, yes, toughest to crack, but overall in the NHL, not too bad...

Hamhuis and Bieksa anchor the top pairing, but neither one is a #1, both top out as being #2 guys.
Edler and someone would anchor pairing 2.
Ballard and Tanev anchor pairing 3.
Leaves Andrew Alberts as the #7 guy.

Salo and Rome are UFA, so there is a spot open.

Also, Ballard hasn't fit in with Vigneault's system, so I'm hoping Gillis follows what Shero did in Pittsburgh with Z. Michalek and moves him. Michalek was average in Pitt, but excellent in Phx. Sometimes, you end up in a situation that doesn't work for you.

Canucks best other D prospects are Yann Sauve, 2008 2nd round pick (ahead of Schultz) and Kevin Connoughton, 2009 3rd round pick. Both have played the last 2 seasons in the AHL and both are LHS.

Connoughton has a booming shot from the point, but needs to round out his defensive game
Sauve, lost 1/2 of his first AHL season due to a concussion from being hit by a car.

I see both guys as competing at camp, but will find themselves back on the farm to get another season under their belt. That's probably a wise move, as you want to be 2 deep on the farm in terms of call up Dmen.

So, Schultz does fit a need in Vancouver. They need a PMD and it showed last season with the subtraction of Erhroff. Plus, they need someone who can play the right side. All of their LHS Dmen struggle when they get moved to the right side.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:04 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Canada is like five minutes from Joe Louis Arena. So its safe to say he is going to Detroit...

Old
06-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Canada is like five minutes from Joe Louis Arena. So its safe to say he is going to Detroit...
I Lol'd

Old
06-23-2012, 07:17 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
It's going to be Toronto no doubt in my mind.
Exactly!!! I will be shocked if he signs anywhere else!

Here are my points...Gardiner factor!!! Reported that Gardiner went to visit him and skate with him during the Allstar break...How many other players on other teams did that???

They talked about playing together in the NHL...Widely reported!

One of the biggest attractions for a UFA is the Location of the ACC, Mastercard Centre, Ricoh Colisium, Bremnar SQ.... For most who don't know what this means....they are about 15-20 minutes apart!! YOU CAN LIVE ANYWHERE IN BETWEEN AND BE IN ANY ARENA FOR PRACTICE OR GAMES!!!

Should he not make the Leafs...he is less than 15 minutes away for the first injury callup during the same day...RC walks across the Marlies pad and tell him he is playing that night!!!

He can live or share a place with Gardiner even if he is not on the Leafs.
They can hang together after practice, Marlies and Leaf practices are at the same time!!!

No matter what other fans say...the benefits of playing and living in TO far outweigh the stupid comments like Oil fans saying he will be part of a great nucleas playing with Hall, YAK, EBS, RNH, ...REALLY WHO THE **** CARE ABOUT THAT...MOST WILL LEAVE AS SOON AS THEY CAN GET A BIG PAYOFF FROM OTHER TEAMS

I WILL EAT MY SHORTS ON HERE IF HE SIGNS WITH ANOTHER TEAM OTHER THAN THE LEAFS!!!

MOST OF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TO TORONTO TO SEE THE ABSOLUTE BENEFITS OF SIGNING WITH THE LEAFS!!

EVEN IF MOST OF YOU DON'T LIKE BURKE!

Old
06-23-2012, 07:19 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid View Post
He exploited a bad loophole in the CBA and intentionally deceived Anaheim's front office. These things don't scream high character individual to me.
Anaheim once acquired a player who signed a five year extension with a team but had to bail after one year because he was chased out of the city by his wife after cheating on her. I wouldn't call him a high character individual either but it worked out for Anaheim pretty nicely.

I wouldn't be too concerned about Schultz's character.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:20 PM
wreckingcru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeLoBlue View Post
Fixed some of that for you.

Long term - EDM. Although the issue about expiring ELCs does give a major concern.

To be honest, the only push I see that Toronto has is Gardiner and the fact that we're considered (well mostly self-considered) the centre of the hockey universe. If Schultz desires the attention, there's no better place. Other than that....Edmonton has the edge. It's all personal preference if the Leafs are to land him. EDM's in a much better state looking on the immediate surface than we are I'm afraid.
In long term, yes. As of now, Leafs are looking much better as their D heavily outmatches Edmonton's D.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

According to MA Godin (Habs beat writer) on twitter, the Habs will be in on Justin Schultz.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:25 PM
wreckingcru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
Lupol better than Eberle? Frattin better than Horcoff? The 1st is ridiculous. And on the 2nd, Horcoff scored more goals this year than Frattin has in his entire NHL career.

I appreciate you trying to work out who would be a better fit - but at this point we're running on rampant speculation and 'facts' from the two loudest fan bases (on this issue).
sorry, I know it is opinion, but Lupul is better than Eberle right now. He is a leader with great scoring capabilities as shown by last year. HE was an A on the ALL STAR team... anyway in a way you are right, Horcoff is better atm than Frattin.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Roof Daddy

People are so quick to point out that he can get the same money from any team because all that can be offered is the max ELC, but its only true to a point. Yes, its true that every team will give him the same offer, but the only guarantees with the offer is the $925,000 base salary and the $92,500 signing bonus. It is the schedule B (performance) bonuses where the ELC pays off. For that reason, the Oilers would have to be the most logical destination, given some of the triggers to these bonuses.....

- Play on one of the 2 PP units of a top 10 rated PP (Oil were # 3 last year, he has Corey Potter to outplay for RHD triggerman to the Nuge).

- Record 3 PPG (again, anyone whose watched how the Nuge QB's a power play would know this might be achieved in the first month).

- Record 10 G

- Record 25 A

- Record 40pts

- Finish top 4 among Dmen for TOI.

All of these are very attainable and should allow him to cash in on an extra 2.75mil. Lets remember folks, this guy has played 3 yrs of NCAA hockey where he was paid nothing to play. Money may be as big a factor as any.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:27 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
According to MA Godin (Habs beat writer) on twitter, the Habs will be in on Justin Schultz.
So if he doesn't make the Habs he will play in Hamilton instead of playing for the Marlies in TO...makes sense!

Old
06-23-2012, 07:27 PM
wreckingcru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
This 'friendship' aspect has spiraled out of control through the message boards. It's gone from reports of 'they played together,' to 'they were best friends' to 'they've always dreamed and plotted to play their NHL career together' to 'they've ritually sacrificed a goat to the hockey gods so as to never be separated.' There are no interviews or sources that we can point to. This is basically each poster citing the previous poster.

The hockey world is small. These guys have lots of friends. They don't make huge sweeping decisions based on where one of them happens to play.
Made me smile.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:28 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckingcru View Post
In long term, yes. As of now, Leafs are looking much better as their D heavily outmatches Edmonton's D.
Ah, that explains why the Leafs let in 27 more goals than the Oilers last year.

That's the same margin that separated New Jersey and Nashville from Edmonton.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:28 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
People are so quick to point out that he can get the same money from any team because all that can be offered is the max ELC, but its only true to a point. Yes, its true that every team will give him the same offer, but the only guarantees with the offer is the $925,000 base salary and the $92,500 signing bonus. It is the schedule B (performance) bonuses where the ELC pays off. For that reason, the Oilers would have to be the most logical destination, given some of the triggers to these bonuses.....

- Play on one of the 2 PP units of a top 10 rated PP (Oil were # 3 last year, he has Corey Potter to outplay for RHD triggerman to the Nuge).

- Record 3 PPG (again, anyone whose watched how the Nuge QB's a power play would know this might be achieved in the first month).

- Record 10 G

- Record 25 A

- Record 40pts

- Finish top 4 among Dmen for TOI.

All of these are very attainable and should allow him to cash in on an extra 2.75mil. Lets remember folks, this guy has played 3 yrs of NCAA hockey where he was paid nothing to play. Money may be as big a factor as any.
He will get those from any team...CBA!

Old
06-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
Exactly!!! I will be shocked if he signs anywhere else!

Here are my points...Gardiner factor!!! Reported that Gardiner went to visit him and skate with him during the Allstar break...How many other players on other teams did that???

They talked about playing together in the NHL...Widely reported!

One of the biggest attractions for a UFA is the Location of the ACC, Mastercard Centre, Ricoh Colisium, Bremnar SQ.... For most who don't know what this means....they are about 15-20 minutes apart!! YOU CAN LIVE ANYWHERE IN BETWEEN AND BE IN ANY ARENA FOR PRACTICE OR GAMES!!!

Should he not make the Leafs...he is less than 15 minutes away for the first injury callup during the same day...RC walks across the Marlies pad and tell him he is playing that night!!!

He can live or share a place with Gardiner even if he is not on the Leafs.
They can hang together after practice, Marlies and Leaf practices are at the same time!!!

No matter what other fans say...the benefits of playing and living in TO far outweigh the stupid comments like Oil fans saying he will be part of a great nucleas playing with Hall, YAK, EBS, RNH, ...REALLY WHO THE **** CARE ABOUT THAT...MOST WILL LEAVE AS SOON AS THEY CAN GET A BIG PAYOFF FROM OTHER TEAMS

I WILL EAT MY SHORTS ON HERE IF HE SIGNS WITH ANOTHER TEAM OTHER THAN THE LEAFS!!!

MOST OF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN TO TORONTO TO SEE THE ABSOLUTE BENEFITS OF SIGNING WITH THE LEAFS!!

EVEN IF MOST OF YOU DON'T LIKE BURKE!
So you're telling all of us Schultz will sign with you so he can spend more time with his buddy? Has absolutely nothing to do with his hockey career? So he can be close to the arena? lol so he can practice with his friend? Cmon man.

I won't be shocked if he signs with Toronto, however your reasons are a joke.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:30 PM
DaDucks

Make sure u give this guy the
"C" as soon as possible...
Obviously he's pure class with great character.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
sorry, I know it is opinion, but Lupul is better than Eberle right now. He is a leader with great scoring capabilities as shown by last year. HE was an A on the ALL STAR team... anyway in a way you are right, Horcoff is better atm than Frattin.
Head on over to the polls section and make that poll dude. Good luck.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Ice Whole

Quote:
IMO, and are front-runners. Canucks are a dark horse. Schultz does want to play in Canada, all three teams fill that need. He wants to have a guaranteed roster spot. Canucks do not have this, as they are a championship team with no room to make guarantees for roster spots. Oilers and Leafs can make that (before Leafs couldn't but with Schenn moved...) Leafs have a slight advantage with Gardiner. Oilers keep on saying he would want to play with the PP of Oilers. While that is true, Leafs now have a great group of forwards. Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, Macarthur, JVR, Kadri, Frattin, Kulimen, Grabovski

Oilers: Yakupov, Gagner, Eberle, RNH, Hall, Smyth, Hemsky, Horcoff, Eric Belanger

RIGHT NOW: Kessel>Hall, Bozak<RNH, Lupul>Eberle Yakupov<JVR (Yaku has no experience whatsoever in the AHL or NHL), Smyth>Kulimen, Grabovski>Gagner, Kadri>Belanger,Macarthur=Hemsky, Frattin>Horcoff....as you can see the forwards are pretty much even right now, and with the substantial better defence, well Schultz will be playing with a much better team that will probably make the playoffs this year.

What do you guys think? Who lands Schultz?
Eberle>Lupul
Yakupov>JVR
Hemsky>Macarthur
Horcoff>Frattin

The forwards aren't actually that close and it's kind of dumb to compare these players one for one. For instance, Hopkins makes MUCH more of an impact then Bozak does. You can't really compare these players like that. You can compare the overall core and I'm pretty sure everyone would take Edmonton's right now and in the future. Toronto's defence is definitely better then ours on paper but then again, everyone's is.

However, this thread is about Schultz and the thing with the Oilers is that we need desperate help on D. That's where Schultz comes in play, he will pretty much be guaranteed a spot in the top 4 and would help QB the number 3 ranked powerplay. He would be right around the same age as these players and would get to play with a bunch of skilled players. He would pretty much grow with them and be a part of this team as it gets better.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the fact that Toronto isn't in the running or anything. They definitely are and I agree that Edmonton and Toronto are probably the front runners at this point but the Rangers and Canucks also have a very good chance but IMO, Edmonton makes the most sense for him. A young team that's on the rise and need help on D. It helps both the Oilers and Schultz.

Closed Thread