HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XV - The Luongo Trade-fights (Mod warnings in thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 02:25 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Philidelphia sends both guys named Schenn for Luongo and Edler. Brygalov trade to follow.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:27 AM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
like I said Colborne, Ashton, 2013 1st
I like it, I like it a lot

Old
06-24-2012, 02:40 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
True. Neither do you. I don't see a location for you, but I'm from Tampa and we do have the benefit of a bit more coverage and information here about our team than fans elsewhere do. We do know that Yzerman said he would prefer a younger, less experienced goalie to grow with Stamkos and Hedman. He specifically said he wasn't going to enter into any long term contracts he wasn't comfortable with (and he's not comfortable with any). He'd actually been saying that since long before the Luongo situation came up. That's what came to pass and, as has been pointed out, he'd never gone against his public statements in the past and stuck to them (and his stated plan for the franchise) again. Local media reported all along that there was no interest in Luongo.

I feel pretty secure in saying and believing that the Tampa Bay Lightning never had any interest in trading for Roberto Luongo. There's absolutely nothing to indicate we did except fans and media saying it would be a good fit for Luongo.
Very true but I would be shocked if Yzerman wasn't kicking tires on Schneider.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:43 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Vancouver fans. STOP saying that a 5.33 cap hit for 10 years is "reasonable".
1. The cap hit is completely reasonable

2. Saw off the last 3 years cause they ain't happening

Old
06-24-2012, 03:36 AM
Inverted

Since the draft is done with and the 5th ov is no longer available now we'll see such trade ideas and rumors surfacing:

JVR or Gardiner for Luongo :scarcasm:

Old
06-24-2012, 04:22 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanguru47 View Post
Option 1

Toronto gets: Luongo
Vancouver gets: Frattin, Komisarek, Kadri,

Option 2

Chicago gets: Luongo
Vancouver gets: Saad, Olesz, Krueger

Option 3

Islanders get: Luongo
Vancouver gets: DiPietro, Cizikas, Martin, Niederreiter

Option 4

Florida gets: Luongo
Vancouver gets: Upshall, Santorelli, Howden, 2013 2nd
Vancouver isn't getting Howden. Maybe a prospect like Robak or Rau, but Tallon isn't going to give a top prospect. Ellerby or Matthias could be had.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:31 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Feel like this could go on all summer.
Vancouver better not wait too long, because other teams will have their rosters set at some point. I can't really speak for other teams, but once the Panthers shape their roster within the next couple weeks, that's it. If Gillis decides in August that he's willing to cave in and trade him to Florida, it'll probably be too late. The Panthers have an internal budget and it's not like they can suddenly turn around then and add Luongo's contract to the team.

Old
06-24-2012, 04:34 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2287 View Post
While Kypreos says Florida has basically no interest. Florida's ownership will not want to take on a contract like that.
Kypreos did not say that. He said Florida's interest was lukewarm and that they probably can't take on that contract(without dumping money in the deal).

Old
06-24-2012, 04:44 AM
Jrtu

vCash: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Vancouver better not wait too long, because other teams will have their rosters set at some point. I can't really speak for other teams, but once the Panthers shape their roster within the next couple weeks, that's it. If Gillis decides in August that he's willing to cave in and trade him to Florida, it'll probably be too late. The Panthers have an internal budget and it's not like they can suddenly turn around then and add Luongo's contract to the team.
The truth is, some teams are going into the season with unproven goaltenders. Look at Columbus, their goaltending duo is suspect at best. In Tampa, Lindback is a great pickup but his worth remains to be proven. Waiting until the season starts could really expose some teams' goaltending problem, which will cause those teams to panic and overpay for a legit goaltending. But yeah, this argument could go either way, as these teams might find out that their goaltending is fine after all, kind of like the sudden resurgence of St. Louis' Brian Elliott.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:06 AM
Vajakki

Gillis has been asking for Gardiner and I don't see that happening. I would be ready to make a deal that doesn't include Gardiner though, and I'd expect Gillis will too. It's only logical that in negotiations you start at very high, the opposition starts low and you meet in the middle.

I'd be ready to take a contract back aswell, but only 1 year. So Komisarek is still a huge no-no. 2013 1st rounder (makes sense really because with Luongo it wouldn't be a super high pick), 2013 2nd rounder, Frattin and Lombardi. Don't think that's unfair for either team, though I realise that some Leafs fans think they will get Luongo for free and will probably flame that proposal.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:17 AM
Intense Rage

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
Gillis has been asking for Gardiner and I don't see that happening. I would be ready to make a deal that doesn't include Gardiner though, and I'd expect Gillis will too. It's only logical that in negotiations you start at very high, the opposition starts low and you meet in the middle.

I'd be ready to take a contract back aswell, but only 1 year. So Komisarek is still a huge no-no. 2013 1st rounder (makes sense really because with Luongo it wouldn't be a super high pick), 2013 2nd rounder, Frattin and Lombardi. Don't think that's unfair for either team, though I realise that some Leafs fans think they will get Luongo for free and will probably flame that proposal.
They are probably the ones that do not want him in the first place, so I would just ignore them. And I suspect Toronto doesn't do both their 1st and the 2nd. Teams do not wait 60+ picks before they make their first selection. I suspect Leafs fans will also be hesitant to deal their 1st in the first place considering they don't know where the pick might end up. Luongo does not guarantee playoffs.

Old
06-24-2012, 05:55 AM
TimmyTabasco

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up somewhere else altogether

Old
06-24-2012, 06:23 AM
Provost

Quote:

Luongo will not be going to the Leafs at this point most likely.

It doesn't make sense for Vancouver to get a draft pick in return that gets worse the better Toronto does with Luongo. A player that puts you 10-15 spots ahead in the overall standings is worth more than a #20 draft pick.

People should stop making Toronto proposals, they are almost certainly out of the mix now having removed a couple of key pieces that could have helped a trade happen. They made their play, got shot down... and have moved on.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:12 AM
SufferingCatFan

We do not know what is happening behind the scenes. With his NMC, Lou has all the leverage. I suspect that he wants to return to Florida where he lives in the off season and where his wife's family resides.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish Your Czechs View Post
Lol

I'd also like to point out that if Burke was only offering Schenn, and now Schenn is gone, that either means that Toronto is out if the Luongo bid, or he'll have to pony up and part with some assets that actually have trade value.
Actually has trade value...huh? I guess getting a 23 year old former second overall pick straight up means he has no value.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Kypreos did not say that. He said Florida's interest was lukewarm and that they probably can't take on that contract(without dumping money in the deal).
Lukewarm translates to pretty much no interest.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:28 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
We do not know what is happening behind the scenes. With his NMC, Lou has all the leverage. I suspect that he wants to return to Florida where he lives in the off season and where his wife's family resides.
He has an NTC.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTabasco View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up somewhere else altogether
If you believe Burke's presser, he made his pitch, found the price was higher than he wanted and made his deal with Philly. He seemed to be leaning toward Reimer being our starter this season. Looks like he has washed his hands in this deal......so i guess it's FLA.

Old
06-24-2012, 07:36 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
1. The cap hit is completely reasonable

2. Saw off the last 3 years cause they ain't happening
Doesn't anyone over 35 count against the cap if they retire still under contract? Like Tim Thomas?

Old
06-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
If you believe Burke's presser, he made his pitch, found the price was higher than he wanted and made his deal with Philly. He seemed to be leaning toward Reimer being our starter this season. Looks like he has washed his hands in this deal......so i guess it's FLA.
I don't think Schenn was ever in play for Luongo. First off, that idiot Botchford is the only reference, and he doesn't come out and say the Leafs offered Schenn. He says they will "have to do better than Luke Schenn." Botchford wrote this Friday when the draft was still going on. If Gillis is answering reporter's questions during the draft, he has other things to worry about than trading Luongo. Of course, no other credible source has confirmed Schenn was offered straight up, so I think the Botchford's quote is taken right out of context.

As you know, Burke has wanted this JVR-Schenn trade since last year, but JVR's injury essentially threw a wet towel on that deal. I am sure Burke was just waiting to see how he recovered, and saw an opportunity to make the deal with Homer. I beleive this deal was always on the front burner, as it is a perfect fit for both teams. It was just a matter of seeing how JVR bounced back, and the playoffs answered that question. He underachieved for the most part in Philly, but he sure has potential. IMO, this deal was always going to be made, and the ideal time to finalize it was, natually, the draft.

Funny. Canuck fans have pounded on Schenn for weeks. Some even said he was waiver material. But Burke gets a former #2 overall pick with a ton of upside for him? JVR was a wrecking ball for the Flyers in the playoffs.

As for Burke's comment about the goaltending, which seemed veiled towards Gillis, good for him. I want Luongo at the right price (who wouldn't?) but he cannot overpay for Lu. Gillis' options are very limited, IMO, so let him try to pillage what he can from Florida and we'll take Theodore or trade for Thomas as a stopgap. This team is young, and are going to get a lot better in the near future. Overpaying for Luongo doesn't make sense right now, as it will likely be a couple of years before thhe Leafs contend anyway. If you can get him at the right price, you make the deal. Other than that, you keep moving forward. It's pretty obvious what Burke is doing with the Leafs, so let's just see what else he has up his sleeve.

If the price is Gardiner, you tell Gillis to pound salt and let him deal with Tallon. If, say, it is Ashton, a 2nd and/or another decent prospect, you bring Lu into Toronto. Pretty simple stuff, really.

Last edited by Holy Mackinaw: 06-24-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old
06-24-2012, 08:07 AM
mmymryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
I don't think Schenn was ever in play for Luongo. First off, that idiot Botchford is the only reference, and he doesn't come out and say the Leafs offered Schenn. He says they will "have to do better than Luke Schenn." Botchford wrote this Friday when the draft was still going on. If Gillis is answering reporter's questions during the draft, he has other things to worry about than trading Luongo.

As you know, Burke has wanted this JVR-Schenn trade since last year, but JVR's injury essentially threw a wet towel on that deal. I am sure Burke was just waiting to see how he recovered, and saw an opportunity to make the deal with Homer.

Funny. Canuck fans have pounded on Schenn for weeks. Some even said he was waiver material. But Burke gets a former #2 overall pick with a ton of upside for him? JVR was a wrecking ball for the Flyers in the playoffs.

Good for Burke. I want Luongo at the right price (who wouldn't?) but he cannot overpay for Lu. Gillis' options are very limited, IMO, so let him try to pillage what he can from Florida and we'll take Theodore or trade for Thomas for a stopgap. This team is young, and are going to get a lot better in the near future. Overpaying for Luongo doesn't make sense right now, as it will likely be a couple of years before they contend anyway. If you can get him at the right price, you make the deal. Other than that, you keep moving forward. It's pretty obvious what Burke is doing with the Leafs, so let's just see what else he has up his sleeve.

If this price is Gardiner, you tell Gillis to pound salt and let him deal with Tallon. If, say, it is Ashton, a 2nd and/or another decent prospect, you bring Lu into Toronto. Pretty simple stuff, really.
It is also funny that 7 years of a proven goalie at 5.3 is crazy. But 6 years for an unproven injury prone kid at 4.2 is amazing.

Something doesn't add up...

Old
06-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Doesn't anyone over 35 count against the cap if they retire still under contract? Like Tim Thomas?
Only if the contract is signed after the player's 35. Luongo's contract was signed before that. Thomas and Pronger signed after 35, so their cap hit counts regardless.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmymryk View Post
It is also funny that 7 years of a proven goalie at 5.3 is crazy. But 6 years for an unproven injury prone kid at 4.2 is amazing.

Something doesn't add up...
23 years old....33 years old.....add up now?

Old
06-24-2012, 08:23 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Kulemin + Kadri for Luongo.

Just trade already so we can get past all this mess.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:29 AM
The Saurus

Quote:

Take out the 2013 first rounder, add a third round pick. Take out Matt Frattin and add only one of Joe Colborne or Carter Ashton. Leave Matthew Lombardi.

2013 Second Round Pick, 2013 Third Round Pick, Joe Colborne / Carter Ashton (choice is with the Canucks), Matthew Lombardi.

Burke reiterated that he will not overpay for Roberto Luongo during his JVR trade press conference yesterday. I don't think my proposed deal is an overpayment and I don't think it's undercutting the Canucks either.

Closed Thread