HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XV - The Luongo Trade-fights (Mod warnings in thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 11:27 AM
rune74

vCash: 500
I'm sorry I just don't see the leafs in control of anything here at all. If loungo can't be dealt and the canucks cannot get schneider to a long term deal, schneider gets dealt. We have two very good number ones that can win for us.

We don't want or need toronto's garbage, we do not require them to help us...and we don't need to help them. If they want to walk away, go ahead.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Which prospects would you say are untouchable? Huberdeau, Markstrom, Gudbranson(although he doesn't count anymore), anyone else?

Bjugstad or Howden would be my preferred realistic centrepiece. Something like Bjugstad/Howden, Upshall, and a 2nd 2013 sound about right?
My thoughts exactly. And probably what Gillis asked for, apparently the prospect is what is holding the deal up.

Give Tallon some time and he'll come around.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
I think LeBrun sums it up quite nicely. THis isn't to "prove a point" either way, but to show the Leafs and Panthers are the two main suitors:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...winds-at-draft

The only part I question is the final paragraph. Not only do I think Luongo would have a problem with that, but it is certainly not the best thing for team chemistry. Also, as MarkstromRules says, I'm not sure Gillis wants to drag this on too long. If both Florida and Toronto find other options or decide to keep the status quo, Gillis' options are taken away from him, unless he wants to trade Schneider.
I see your view point, but I disagree simply because primarily Luongo and Schneider has worked well for the past 2 years, they both want to be starter but have never ever, even slightly, suggested to the media they're frustrated with the decision. Even in the last interview done by Luongo, the reporter asked him about his future with the Canucks, which lead into him saying he'd be willing to waive his no trade.

Last years playoff is a hard one to accurately state, because it was so short lived, the team was already coasting from the Boston game mid point, and we only started waking up when we were down 3-0 in the series, but it was too little too late.

Luongo and Schneider don't really have much of a choice in the matter in terms of what they want to do, Schneider is an RFA, Luongo is signed to contract there is nothing stating they can't run with that tandem until Trade Deadline.

Here's what I'd be concerned with as a Maple Leaf fan is if you guys are fighting for an 8th spot, and your goaltending hasn't improved, you'll really be in a position of weakness to trade for a goalie of said calibre.

It comes down to risk/reward, right now there is little risk to keeping both goalies until trade deadline next year because we can easily give Luongo majority of the regular season starts, see how the goalie landscape looks, then trade him (or Schneider) for the biggest return to the team that really is struggling.

my 2 cents.

Last edited by Skead: 06-24-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old
06-24-2012, 11:32 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
My thoughts exactly. And probably what Gillis asked for, apparently the prospect is what is holding the deal up.

Give Tallon some time and he'll come around.
Delusional.

Dale Tallon isn't going to give up prospects of the calibre that Canuck fans are asking for. It's just not going to happen.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Provost

Man Damien Cox is an idiot... these Toronto media sure don't think much of Burke's statement that he is fine with Reimer.

They are desperately trying to convince themselves that the Leafs are in a position of strength.

http://www.thestar.com/blogs/article...cory-schneider

Old
06-24-2012, 11:37 AM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Delusional.

Dale Tallon isn't going to give up prospects of the calibre that Canuck fans are asking for. It's just not going to happen.
Since you at least got his name right today, congratz.

We'll see, at the moment we have two starting goalies with incredible skills, you have none. Have fun.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:42 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provost View Post
Man Damien Cox is an idiot... these Toronto media sure don't think much of Burke's statement that he is fine with Reimer.

They are desperately trying to convince themselves that the Leafs are in a position of strength.

They are in a position of strength. Toronto doesn't need Luongo and it's as simple as that. That lack of need equals strength in negotiations.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Nash

Quote:

Offer sheet CS? That's brilliant Cox. That sounds like something Burke would do 😄

This hack of a reporter doesn't even understand how his own city's GM works, but can pontificate on the inner workings and issues facing Vancouver?

Old
06-24-2012, 11:44 AM
rune74

Quote:
They are in a position of strength. Toronto doesn't need Luongo and it's as simple as that. That lack of need equals strength in negotiations.
Well, you guys sure seem to think they do. We don't need you to take him...so I guess we are at a stalemate.

And yes, Cox is a homer, you guys actually listen to him?

Old
06-24-2012, 11:44 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
The Leafs need goal tending help. That much is true. If there's something else out there I really hope Burke finds it. In a perfect world FLA lands Luongo and your club can move on with your current situation.

I would rather go into next season with both goalies than to give up Luongo for nothing. I am certain GMMG feels the same way.

So how bout this: Leafs fans stop commenting on Luongo (you don't need him) and Canucks fans will stop dreaming up proposals that involve the Leafs. A win/win.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:45 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

I have to believe the leafs desperation to get lou should be higher than the panthers but I don't think either teams is very high at the moment.

Old
kcunac

Quote:
Burke reiterated that he will not overpay for Roberto Luongo during his JVR trade press conference yesterday. I don't think my proposed deal is an overpayment and I don't think it's undercutting the Canucks either.
Didn't he say that he "wouldn't gut the team to improve one position" (i.e. goaltending)?

I believe Tallon also said that he "spoke with the Canucks about goaltending ... but he's reluctant to part with a top prospect."

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/st...73782184308740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
I think LeBrun sums it up quite nicely:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...winds-at-draft

Two teams have clear interest in Luongo: Florida and Toronto. Both teams held dialogue with Vancouver at the draft. But both the Panthers and Maple Leafs were unimpressed with the opening asking price from the Canucks. Way too high, was the reaction. But that’s natural in these discussions. It’s only a starting point.

But what it also tells you is that the Canucks aren’t going to buy in to this theory that they have to simply take whatever they can to get rid of Luongo’s monster contract. He’s still a top-level goalie and the Canucks are adamant they will make a hockey deal, not a CBA dump deal. You can’t blame Vancouver for that. Simply put: If Toronto gets Luongo, for example, it makes the playoffs next season, in my opinion. Think that shouldn’t be motivation enough for the Leafs?

Know this from the Panthers: They’ve decided this weekend they’re going to see this Luongo thing through. They’re going to focus on it seriously.
I tend to agree with this. Neither FLA or TOR are saying they're not interested. They're saying the price is too high. Conversely, Gillis is saying he's not treating this like a cap dump and will not be satisfied with an underpayment. This is not my opinion, this is not speculation from reporters, this is from the GMs.

Now, in my opinion, I think what we are seeing is that negotiations are still at an early stage. I think Gillis will come down in price, and conversely, TOR and FLA will be willing to put forward better offers. I think there's a lot of room between a cap dump/underpayment type deal and a 'gut the team' type deal.

I'm not sure what Burke considers 'gutting the team' but a deal around TOR's 2013 first (maybe Kadri), a prospect (Ashton or Colbourne), and a roster player (not LACK) would not gut TOR and would not be a cap dump deal from the Canucks perspective.

I'm not sure what Tallon considers a 'top prospect' but I think we can assume he is saying Huberdeau and Bjugstad are off the table. A deal including FLA 2013 first pick/Howson + 2nd rounder/equivalent prospect + roster player (maybe Upshall) would not be a deal involving FLA's top prospects and would not be a cap dump deal from the Canucks perspective.

Unfortunately, it will probably take FLA, TOR, and VAN a long time to get to this point, since they are currently so far away. We may run out of Bond films before this is over.

Now that I've taken the time to offer something thoughtful and constructive I look forward to one line responses from certain fans stating I am categorically wrong and X team will never go for such a deal, and instead propose something that is obviously inconsistent with the stated views of the GMs involved.

I don't think that the examples I gave will necessarily be the type of deals that Luongo is traded for. For example, Van may take a LACK if it comes along with a better asset. However, I do think subsequent posters should take into account what the GMs have said.

Old
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
I have to believe the leafs desperation to get lou should be higher than the panthers but I don't think either teams is very high at the moment.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:47 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Well, you guys sure seem to think they do. We don't need you to take him...so I guess we are at a stalemate.

If you know anything about the hockey media, you would know that Damien Cox is not a Leafs homer. He spent years upon years ragging on everything to do with the Leafs. His tone has become more balanced over the past year or so.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:48 AM
rune74

Quote:
If you know anything about the hockey media, you would know that Damien Cox is not a Leafs homer. He spent years upon years ragging on everything to do with the Leafs. His tone has become more balanced over the past year or so.
Let me guess, at the moment he is a legit strong source right?

Old
06-24-2012, 11:49 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
He broke the JVR trade yesterday. I would say he's as strong a source as any at the moment.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:50 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Good for him. Doesn't change a thing regarding Luongo.

Old
rune74

Quote:
He broke the JVR trade yesterday. I would say he's as strong a source as any at the moment.
of course he is...or he broke it because he is in bed with Burke and co and they are using him to leverage the trade?

Old
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
When it comes to the Leafs, he's a good source.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:51 AM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Are leaf fans not concerned about lou's cap hit considering they are near the top half of the league? How much flexibility do the leafs have in the coming years with Luongo's contract on the books?

Old
06-24-2012, 11:52 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Which prospects would you say are untouchable? Huberdeau, Markstrom, Gudbranson(although he doesn't count anymore), anyone else?

Bjugstad or Howden would be my preferred realistic centrepiece. Something like Bjugstad/Howden, Upshall, and a 2nd 2013 sound about right?
I bet you would. But you won't fetch any of them, Lou doesn't hold that kind of value with that contract. Tallon said this weekend that he's talk to some teams, but will not trade away any of our top-prospects.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Delusional.

Nah, Gillis is a patient, shrewd man who drives up value of his assets (see Hodgson). He's probably playing those two country rubes off each other until he gets the deal he wants.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Provost

Quote:

Here is a newsflash for Toronto fans and Cox... IF Schneider decided he wanted to sign an offer sheet.... why the heck would it be to Toronto?

He might as well sign an offer sheet to Columbus. The team is just as good and it is in the USA where he is from. Columbus is also in a position where they have the cap space and motivation to make a higher offer. They don't have an all-star duo like Reimer/Scrivens to fall back on so would want Schneider more.

His agent has said publicly that he thinks both goalies will be back in Vancouver next season. If Luongo isn't traded Schneider would probably just sign a 1yr deal with Vancouver to see how things panned out.... then he gets to be a UFA and decide what team he goes to.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:56 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Here is a newsflash for Toronto fans and Cox... IF Schneider decided he wanted to sign an offer sheet.... why the heck would it be to Toronto?

He might as well sign an offer sheet to Columbus. The team is just as good and it is in the USA where he is from. Columbus is also in a position where they have the cap space and motivation to make a higher offer. They don't have an all-star duo like Reimer/Scrivens to fall back on so would want Schneider more.

His agent has said publicly that he thinks both goalies will be back in Vancouver next season. If Luongo isn't traded Schneider would probably just sign a 1yr deal with Vancouver to see how things panned out.... then he gets to be a UFA and decide what team he goes to.
You're missing the part where every player who has ever played the game dreams about playing for the Leafs.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
I bet you would. But you won't fetch any of them, Lou doesn't hold that kind of value with that contract. Tallon said this weekend that he's talk to some teams, but will not trade away any of our top-prospects.
I know Florida has a stacked prospect pool, but there is a difference between a top prospect(Huberdeau,Rielly) and a good one(Kadri, Howden).

Closed Thread