HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild re-sign Veilleux 1 yr 2 way

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2012, 03:12 PM
  #76
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
The problem is that on many occassions Veilleux was asked to do more than what he is capable of. He's a 4th line grinder...an energy guy...and a good one at that. His role shouldn't be that of a Top 9 scorer.

What's the issue? This is a 1 year - 2 way deal, probably for the minimum. I like it.




I dont have any issues with signing him as long as it's for leadership in Houston. I will have a small issue if he starts the season as the 13th forward with the big club, and will be flat out upset if he's in the opening night lineup.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:15 PM
  #77
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,474
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
[/B]


I dont have any issues with signing him as long as it's for leadership in Houston. I will have a small issue if he starts the season as the 13th forward with the big club, and will be flat out upset if he's in the opening night lineup.
Why? He's better suited to playing in that 4th line role than almost anyone else we have in the organization. Certainly, you don't want to bury one of the young kids in that spot?

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:18 PM
  #78
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I really don't want to see any prospects on a 4th line.

They will be much better in Houston.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:33 PM
  #79
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Why? He's better suited to playing in that 4th line role than almost anyone else we have in the organization. Certainly, you don't want to bury one of the young kids in that spot?
I dont want any of the young kids on the 4th line, although I dont think it would really hurt Bulmer to play there.

My issue with SV being on the big club is that, the only real value I see im bringing to the organization is by being a lead by example kind of guy for the kids. He cant do that in Minnesota if all of the kids are in Houston.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:36 PM
  #80
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,474
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
I dont want any of the young kids on the 4th line, although I dont think it would really hurt Bulmer to play there.

My issue with SV being on the big club is that, the only real value I see im bringing to the organization is by being a lead by example kind of guy for the kids. He cant do that in Minnesota if all of the kids are in Houston.
I think having him play on the 4th line is a benefit to the Wild, he brings energy and experience....I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one....

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:43 PM
  #81
J22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I think having him play on the 4th line is a benefit to the Wild, he brings energy and experience....I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one....
I want more than energy and experience on the 4th line though. Good teams in the NHL actually get production out of their 4th lines. I want 4th liners that can handle a good chunk of the PK or be able to shut down a 2nd line for a night. Not interested in a line that spends most of its 7minutes a night in its own end and is happy with finishing the night at a -1.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:45 PM
  #82
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
I want more than energy and experience on the 4th line though. Good teams in the NHL actually get production out of their 4th lines. I want 4th liners that can handle a good chunk of the PK or be able to shut down a 2nd line for a night. Not interested in a line that spends most of its 7minutes a night in its own end and is happy with finishing the night at a -1.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:23 PM
  #83
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I really don't want to see any prospects on a 4th line.

They will be much better in Houston.
The 1st year NA pro guys? Absolutely. Guys like McMillan, McIntyre, Palmer, Rau, and Palmieri, some of which will be losing their waiver exemption(some might also not be re-signed)? If they earn a 4th line spot they're going to be on the team. They're competing with Veilleux for potential depth spots based on which prospects force Yeo/Fletcher's hand, and what Fletcher does in free agency.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 06:26 PM
  #84
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,474
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
The 1st year NA pro guys? Absolutely. Guys like McMillan, McIntyre, Palmer, Rau, and Palmieri, some of which will be losing their waiver exemption(some might also not be re-signed)? If they earn a 4th line spot they're going to be on the team. They're competing with Veilleux for potential depth spots based on which prospects force Yeo/Fletcher's hand, and what Fletcher does in free agency.
I agree with that...

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 01:33 PM
  #85
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,438
vCash: 500
I like having him as insurance.

If he makes the lineup out of camp, it's because he was better than some prospects/tryouts. If he doesn't, he goes to Houston and no big deal.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:58 PM
  #86
tsmbain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
[/B]


I dont have any issues with signing him as long as it's for leadership in Houston. I will have a small issue if he starts the season as the 13th forward with the big club, and will be flat out upset if he's in the opening night lineup.
So who would you have be the 13th forward? Who would you have be the healthy scratch?

tsmbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:02 PM
  #87
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,474
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmbain View Post
So who would you have be the 13th forward? Who would you have be the healthy scratch?
I think Nick Palmieri could fill that role very nicely...I also think bringing Veilleux into camp will create some very healthy competition for that spot.....

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:38 AM
  #88
Dudicles
Registered User
 
Dudicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
The problem is that on many occassions Veilleux was asked to do more than what he is capable of. He's a 4th line grinder...an energy guy...and a good one at that. His role shouldn't be that of a Top 9 scorer.

What's the issue? This is a 1 year - 2 way deal, probably for the minimum. I like it.
My biggest issue is that he reminds me of Risebrough.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:53 AM
  #89
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,168
vCash: 500
Veilleux is not effectived at anything. The only time he produced was when he was piggy-backing of Koivu.

I think Clutterbuck should be on our 4th line, and he's 10 times the player of Veilleux.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:07 AM
  #90
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,474
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Veilleux is not effectived at anything. The only time he produced was when he was piggy-backing of Koivu.

I think Clutterbuck should be on our 4th line, and he's 10 times the player of Veilleux.
Veilleux is on a two-way contract and is not guaranteed anything other than an AHL salary in Houston....Worse case scenario is that he creates some very healthy competition for that 13 forward roster spot.

So tell me again what is there to complain about??

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 10:29 AM
  #91
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,438
vCash: 500
Veilleux actually was productive in terms of creating energy and playing physical when the rest of the team gave up. No, he's nothing more than a fourth liner, but that's why it's an "energy" line and they don't get more energetic than Veilleux.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:53 AM
  #92
Dee Oh Cee
Registered User
 
Dee Oh Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Farmington
Country: United States
Posts: 6,822
vCash: 500
One thing you know you're going to get from him is 100% effort in camp and preseason, so by doing that he'll push the younger guys to try even harder to get their spot on the team. So if he outdoes the kids, you have a guy with great energy and hustle on the 4th line, and if someone young outdoes him, you have a guy who's ready to contribute with the knowledge that if you slip up, someone will be there to replace you. He's probably going to motivate a lot of people simply because he tries so hard.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:56 AM
  #93
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,378
vCash: 50
he's practically local now anyway. lives here. married a girl from here. great attitude. he'll keep it light on the bench no matter where he plays.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:37 PM
  #94
OpRedDawn*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
One thing you know you're going to get from him is 100% effort in camp and preseason, so by doing that he'll push the younger guys to try even harder to get their spot on the team. So if he outdoes the kids, you have a guy with great energy and hustle on the 4th line, and if someone young outdoes him, you have a guy who's ready to contribute with the knowledge that if you slip up, someone will be there to replace you. He's probably going to motivate a lot of people simply because he tries so hard.
I agree with this.

OpRedDawn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 02:07 PM
  #95
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,438
vCash: 500
Seriously?

Veilleux is nowhere near approaching an issue for this club. Neither is the 7th rounder.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 06:56 PM
  #96
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 728
J22, I absolutely agree with you on 4th liners and PK duties - IMO, your 4th line's primary duties should be an occasional shift of energy, and anchoring the PK. Having Koivu out there is absurd. 1st line duties should be regular shift, occasional double shift depending on match-ups, and power play.

Powe is woefully bad at draws, but otherwise a perfect 4th liner. Veilluex fits that mold as well.

That's another reason I think Johnson was let go - he doesn't fit the attributes of a 4th liner at all.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:16 PM
  #97
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,168
vCash: 500
Veilleux is to the Wild what Janice is to Chandler Bing.

He just needs to go. And all of you should just stop enabling this destructive behavior. You don't need to rationalize why we wasted a contract on him, or what kind of energy he brings, or how it's just a minor issue. We just need to walk away.

But seriously, our 4th line and healthy scratches should be a combination of Clutterbuck, Powe, Palmeri, Kassian, Rau, McMillian, and all the other scrubs in Houston who have been busting their butts their whole lives in order to be a 4th line grinder in the NHL. Sorry, Veilleux had his chance.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 07:18 PM
  #98
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Clutterbuck is a 3rd liner.

Not a 4th liner.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:41 PM
  #99
tsmbain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
J22, I absolutely agree with you on 4th liners and PK duties - IMO, your 4th line's primary duties should be an occasional shift of energy, and anchoring the PK. Having Koivu out there is absurd. 1st line duties should be regular shift, occasional double shift depending on match-ups, and power play.

Powe is woefully bad at draws, but otherwise a perfect 4th liner. Veilluex fits that mold as well.

That's another reason I think Johnson was let go - he doesn't fit the attributes of a 4th liner at all.

How can you agree with J22 when J22 says Veilluex should not be on this team at all, not even a 4th liner, while you say Veilleux does fit being a 4th liner?

tsmbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:42 PM
  #100
SauceHockey
Retired
 
SauceHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: p
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 500
Veilleux is a borderline 4th line NHL guy that can provide energy and be a good help in Houston

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.