HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackets fire 4 scouts

Old
06-24-2012, 07:55 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
For some reason, I can't help but think of Phil Hartman's scene in "Loaded Weapon 1". It involves him telling bad jokes in front of a brick wall while a standoff is going on, with his fellow cops just staring at him.
Who's joking?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
So they waited until AFTER the draft to do this?

Seriously though, it is shocking that these guys have been around that long.
I don't get the humor in your first statement. Of course you want to keep the guys on staff until after the draft. They have been involved in every discussion you've had for one of the biggest days of the year. Fire them before the draft and there could be sensitive information that gets out that the CBJ wouldn't want to be the case (insert your joke about CBJ here).

As for the thread, I'm not sure why this would be such a surprise to the hockey world and why it has been met with such ridicule. If they weren't going to be let go they woudl have been extended some time ago. Their contracts run out 6/30 if I'm correct. They've put in the work all year and you don't want to lose the input. This should have been seen when Howson announced they weren't bringing the staff to Pittsburgh.

I get it though, the CBJ doesn't have any street cred to cash in based on their current state of affairs. I just don't see why this is a big deal. I guess they could have saved themselves the ridicule by simply letting their contracts expire. To me, this should have been done when Don Boyd was let go. Should have redone the entire staff at the GM change.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:19 AM
JacketsFanWest

The scouts aren't the decision makers. They collect the data on the prospects. The drafting has gotten better over the past few years and they have found more gems like Cam Atkinson.

We have no idea what is/isn't true with who the scouts would/wouldn't have picked. If it's true that they were high on Kopitar and GMDM picked Brule, then, who's fault is that?

So I don't want to blame the scouts, but it's time for a house cleaning. Things haven't been working, and in part that's due to development not just drafting. The whole prospect development system needs to be improved, starting at the beginning with drafting.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
The scouts aren't the decision makers. They collect the data on the prospects. The drafting has gotten better over the past few years and they have found more gems like Cam Atkinson.

We have no idea what is/isn't true with who the scouts would/wouldn't have picked. If it's true that they were high on Kopitar and GMDM picked Brule, then, who's fault is that?

So I don't want to blame the scouts, but it's time for a house cleaning. Things haven't been working, and in part that's due to development not just drafting. The whole prospect development system needs to be improved, starting at the beginning with drafting.
Good stuff. Well said.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Marketing Lies

"Occasionally, just occasionally, your company or organization will be caught in a lie. This is not good. If possible, immediately fire someone expendable and publicly apologize. If not, you must stick to the lie. Perception is reality."

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:31 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post

It is right, Milat Tichý said in Czech interview that all scouts wanted Kopitar but GMDM took Brulé.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:38 AM
Buxpoppa

The information on XM radio was that it was a scout who guaranteed that Brule was the real thing and fought Doug on this.

My question is: "Why did Howson not clean house and replace them when he took over? Why wait 4 drafts?"

Also, why would we not try and get some new scouts in to get a different veiwpoint of the draftees before the draft? Remember: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting differing results."

Buxpoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:51 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxpoppa View Post
The information on XM radio was that it was a scout who guaranteed that Brule was the real thing and fought Doug on this.

My question is: "Why did Howson not clean house and replace them when he took over? Why wait 4 drafts?"

Also, why would we not try and get some new scouts in to get a different veiwpoint of the draftees before the draft? Remember: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting differing results."
Its generally know that Doug wanted Brule, so I doubt any scout would be fighting with Doug to get him to pick him. Did you mean one of them tried to fight Doug on Kopitar?

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:57 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I'm willing to bet that on nearly every team, in nearly every draft there are scouts who like players that go on to be better than the players their team picks.

Everyone is quick to say, oooh I like Kopitar or Phaneuf but no one will admit they LOVED a guy like Picard or that they thought Filatov was so much better than Tyler Myers.

It has generally been a whole system failure here, from the top down. There are no heroes.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:02 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I'm willing to bet that on nearly every team, in nearly every draft there are scouts who like players that go on to be better than the players their team picks.

Everyone is quick to say, oooh I like Kopitar or Phaneuf but no one will admit they LOVED a guy like Picard or that they thought Filatov was so much better than Tyler Myers.

It has generally been a whole system failure here, from the top down. There are no heroes.
Generally, Scouts don't have many defenses they can use if they are on the "hot seat"....

They can spend weeks scouting a single player and, of course they are going to be a bit biased towards that player, and if they are overruled, then maybe it feels a bit like their work towards it was a failure.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote