HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Have Faith in Reimer

Old
06-23-2012, 08:36 PM
firstemperor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Reimer did not have a great start to the season, he looked shaky and we got wins because of the goals we scored against a weak set of teams.

He may turn out to be decent but he has many holes. He tracks pucks poorly and plays to deep in the net. Save selection has not improved in the two years that I have seen him play, this has resulted in poor rebound control.

I hope he is the number one goalie that we need but thus far he has proven that he is not.
And a non-existant glove hand as well. Even when he was playing well as a positional goalie, he still lacked the talent to be a starting goalie in this league. We haven't had a real goalie in Toronto for years, if Burke has any intention of being competitive next year, he will address the situation.

firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:48 PM
balnky19*

its no that we havent gaven up on him. we want a veteran to teach him the ropes

balnky19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

I still have faith in him but I know it's a gamble. You guys are so short sited it's unbelievable. A concussion is going to affect a guy's play, anyone who doesn't think so, is not worth talking to.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

The only way I am sold on this is if for some miracle to have a 1c and a 1a d man join us via trade or FA. Then i will feel a lot more confident in the group in front to roll the dice and save some cap with the kids to see if they can catch lightning in a bottle and run with it

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Rainney

Reimer is a scrub. A team lead by him isn't going anywhere.

Rainney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I don't see why many people here are saying directly or indirectly "It's Luongo or bust"

Brian Burke today.

If the 40 odd games last season he played wasn't enough to show he was a good goaltender on a consistent basis, why is the 30 odd games he played in a year he got a concussion spell that he is not good enough to be a #1? It doesn't make sense.

People here often say we don't have Ryan Miller, Carey Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, middle of the pack guys like Lehtonen, Howard etc.

Jonathan Quick didn't become an elite goalie overnight. It takes hard work and dedication, something James Reimer has. Now before you call me a homer, I'm not saying Reimer will be an elite goalie, I just think that writing the season off just because Reimer could possibly be our #1 goalie is stupid.

Not too long ago Jonathan Quick was seen as a placeholder for Jonathan Bernier who would assume the #1 role. Things change from year to year.

We've got a new coach who will employ defense in his system as much as offense. Reimer will have a lot to prove and I think he'll show his mettle.

If we don't give a goalie an opportunity to go through the good and bad, we'll never find a goalie good enough to be a #1. We can't just keep recycling goalies year to year.

He'll bounce back this season without a doubt.
I believe in him, my avatar should prove that

06-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Aplayaz2000

Woah am I the only Leaf fan who believes in their players.

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:55 PM
YearsintheWilderness

The rationalizations and the moving of the goal posts begin again with Burke.

There is a very small possibility that Burke is under-promising and still plans on bringing in a seasoned goalie this offseason.

But more likely is the fact that the blowhard made grand predictions about future moves and once again failed to deliver and so he is convincing himself that the player who couldn't do it last year will come through in the coming season.

And all it took was for Reimer to say, "I have no intention of giving up the starting role."

My guess is Burke is praying mightily for there to be no season in 2012/13.

YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:10 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
Woah am I the only Leaf fan who believes in their players.
Many players believed in Reimer/Monster last year.
Giggy/Monster the year before.

It is not about belief or faith in players. It is about setting the team and players in a position to succeed. Reimer can do well with a veteran to mentor him and offload him much like Halak did for Price.

Also, if Reimer/Scrivens struggle which given they are two unproven NHL goalies than what is the back up plan? Sure the leafs can trade for a goalie but by that time the leafs maybe out of the playoffs.

That said, if you are in the tank again camp and want to secure a high draft pick again than going with two inexperienced goalies is a much better choice than pursuing a proven veteran.

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:47 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
I haven't given up with Reims, he is my fav goalie

PS: is it just me or did it seem that Reimer thrived when Giggy was here?

The Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:04 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearsintheWilderness View Post
The rationalizations and the moving of the goal posts begin again with Burke.

There is a very small possibility that Burke is under-promising and still plans on bringing in a seasoned goalie this offseason.

But more likely is the fact that the blowhard made grand predictions about future moves and once again failed to deliver and so he is convincing himself that the player who couldn't do it last year will come through in the coming season.

And all it took was for Reimer to say, "I have no intention of giving up the starting role."

My guess is Burke is praying mightily for there to be no season in 2012/13.
Can you show me where Burke made grand predictions about upgrading his defence.

Thanks- This was hi year end press conference.

Quote:
Q: Do you have a chance to get a really good young goaltender who’s not quite proven, for example a (Jonathan) Bernier? Would you be willing to throw in a first round pick?
No.

Goaltending — are you looking for someone with more experience to give some depth?
We’ll sort that out, it’s a fair question.

I don’t feel that we got, Randy’s saying you have to do it his way, we have to take it up a notch.

Is first line centre a priority for you this offseason?

I think Tyler Bozak made great strides, but for us, goaltending and a number one centre would be the needs.

Goaltender – someone to compete with Reimer?

That question’s been answered. Everyone’s assuming that we didn’t try to address the goaltending issue at the trade deadline. We did.

James Reimer? Confidence?

I think he got run from the side (by Brian Gionta), eh got a concussion and it affected his play. It affected his play, and I think he’s the real deal, but…

Do you feel he needs some help?

Next question.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:08 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

This was today.

Quote:
He did make it clear he would like to improve his goaltending, but again the price has to be right.

“If you can get a goaltender who makes you better and it costs you 15 first round picks, would you do it? No. So somewhere between 15 first round picks and something that makes sense. We’re not there yet. I’m not going to overpay to upgrade at that position. Rather than strip the organization to fill one positional need, we’ll go with what we have.”

That means James Reimer, returning from a neck injury that he struggled with for much of the season, and Ben Scrivens who spent most of the year in the American Hockey League, could start the season as the Leafs netminders.

“We are encouraged by the medical reports for James Reimer,” said Burke after the draft was over. “He has a clean bill of health and he’s working out like a madman. He has made it very clear to us that he has no intention of giving up the net and that has changed our thinking a little bit.”

Old
06-23-2012, 11:11 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

This was the end of May:

Quote:
NEW YORK—With only a handful of veteran goalies available — Tomas Vokoun will be an unrestricted free agent and Roberto Luongo looking for a trade out of Vancouver — Leafs GM Brian Burke played his netminding card close to his chest.

“It’s certainly nothing we can discuss publicly,” said Burke, emerging from the league’s general managers’ meeting. “We’re trying to evaluate what we have and what we can get and go from there.”

He says the team is trying to find the right goalie to carry a significant load, but not impede the progress of James Reimer and Ben Scrivens.

“We’re trying to sort that out,” said Burke.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:14 PM
bobbyflex

hey everyone. just wanted people to remember how good reimer was at times. catz have short memories. 2 weeks IIRC

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:50 PM
GOLeafsWootWoot

Burke even said on this interview (near the end) that he still has faith in reimer, it seems like he may be our golie next season

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/draft...s_brian_burke/

GOLeafsWootWoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:13 AM
spidergoalie

Burke has to say he believes in Reimer or he puts himself in a terrible negotiating position for making a trade. He can't tell the league he is desperate.
He also has to save face if he cannot make a deal, by saying he always believed in Reimer as the "real deal" yadda yadda.

Bringing in a veteran does not mean he is giving up on Reimer. It just means Reimer has time to develop without the pressure being the #1 in Toronto carries with it.

I really like Reimer and his style of play, but I still think it will be Luongo, and I am in favour of it. Not over the moon, but in favour.

Last edited by spidergoalie: 06-24-2012 at 01:30 AM.
spidergoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:19 AM
AlmightyPO

Reimer as our starter is not a stupid move. Reimer as our starter with Scrivens as our backup is the stupid move.

If the price is too high for Luongo, we better be getting a vet to backup Reimer or even start. Why blow the confidence and development of two promising goalies since Burke's mouth is too large to keep closed? Vokoun would've been a pretty good fit as he would've provided a slight short term upgrade, but I guess Burke is looking for that 100%-fits-exactly-what-he-is-looking-for-mold which doesn't seem to be out there. It seems Burke is looking for a goalie on a one year deal, or a 10 year deal, anything in-between is unacceptable.

AlmightyPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:25 AM
Jerkini

If we get Luongo and Reimer plays incredibly well, that's a fantastic problem to have. I'll take it. If we don't attempt to upgrade in net and Reimer has another season like the one he just had, we can write off next season as well.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:27 AM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Reimer was having a sophomore slump AND got a concussion.

Some of you are being way too hard on the guy, who here remembers Price's sophomore slump? He was getting boo'd out the building and look at him now. I think letting Giggy go was a mistake because it's no coincidence that Reimer's play declined when Giggy left. Reimer needs a veteran that can mold him into that #1.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 02:39 AM
ALine

I have full confidence in Reimer to be the number one next year and that being said, Luongo would still be a welcomed upgrade. Although if Reimer is the number one, he should get some solid insulation with agood back-up to play ~20games

Reimer-Biron/Clemenson/Ellis

ALine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:15 AM
goleafsgo88

I would not mind going in there with a cheap veteran backup. If that can't be done, I'd opt to go with the kids than make a "hockey trade" for Luongo. That contract is downright ugly and can set us back years. If they want to make a deal, Komisarek is going the other way, and perhaps a roster player and a mid-prospect. But I do not want anything significant going back.

If they don't like it, I will gladly watch them have 11M/year stuck in their crease and see how poisonous that could be to their locker room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler 27 View Post
I second that

goleafsgo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 05:30 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Sure but the leafs didn't have success pursuing Vokoun or any other available goalies. Vokoun for a 7th - I'm not sure why the leafs were not over that.

The fact that Burke allowed things to get to the point where Luongo is the only choice is unfortunate. He did the same last year not pursuing Theodore who joined the Panthers (and we with Monster/Reimer based on faith). And now it looks like the real play is Luongo (and maybe clemmenson though I'm not sure if he is enough for the leafs even though he played well for the Panthers last year).

Like I said Reimer/Scrivens may work out but I suspect that tandem struggles to put up 0.910 goaltending. Even Price had a few years with Halak before proving he was capable to mind the net. I think a vet sets up the team for both short term and long term success in net.
You do realize he has to sign here, right? Leafs didn't want to give him 4 million a year to come here and with good reason. Rumors say he took less to go to a contending team.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Mansfield
nazzzzzzzty

I hope you're right, I just think given the way our goaltending has been the last few years people have learned that the worst often happens when it comes to something like this...

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

I still think he can bounce back. I'm hoping we give the kids another year to prove themselves, forget about Luongo.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 08:38 AM
devilishleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingblue1 View Post
We have no faith in Reimer because I can score on his glove hand and I have not played ice hockey in 10 years. Reimer is figured out. Easy to score on him.
THey said the samething about Price after the Flyers beat them in the playoffs in 08'.
Reimer is a keeper!!!

devilishleafs is offline   Reply With Quote