Notices

Flames sign C Ben Street

Old
07-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Banner

vCash: 500
Flames sign C Ben Street

https://twitter.com/#!/andystrickland

May have to scroll down a bit. Didn't see it being discussed in any other threads so thought I'd start one.

Dollar amount has yet to be announced but it is a two-way deal.

24 years old, looks like a move for the Heat. Had 57 points in 71 games with the scranton penguins this season.

Worst case scenario he's a top 6 for the minor club, best case scenario pulls a Patrick Sharp and becomes a late bloomer. Don't see anything wrong with this except it puts us at 47 contracts I think.

Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:43 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
FWIW I believe we now have 43 contracts.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Banner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
FWIW I believe we now have 43 contracts.
Is that with or without current RFA's?

Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:45 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner View Post
Is that with or without current RFA's?
Yes our total contracts at this moment is 43. If all RFA's re-sign then we have 47.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Devilspuppet666

vCash: 250
we were talking about him in the free agency thread... and i didnt believe we signed him cause i couldnt find it lol (i hate twitter dont understand it, its like reading cartoons swearing #&@$!)

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Burgs

Nice to see the hard work finally paid off for Street. This is his first NHL contract, and he's a B.C. native. Pittsburgh brought in 3 new centers in Trevor Smith, Warren Peters and Riley Holzapfel so Street needed to try elsewhere.

Definitely a late bloomer. Good college player and captain at Wisconsin, was never drafted but was eventually invited to camp by the Baby Pens two summers ago. They liked him enough to sign him but then parked him down in Wheeling. Street went on to tear up the ECHL with 51 points in 38 games, and earned Rookie of the Year honors (even though he spent the second half of the season as a bottom-sixer in WBS). Last season he re-signed with WBS and became their #1 center, helped by the Penguins having zero scoring centers in the system.

A smart, clean, dependable player with good instincts and skills. Should put up even more points with better wingers. What should keep him from the NHL is his lack of size, grit and athleticism. He's just not strong enough to thrive against close checking. But at worst you get a top 6 forward for Abbotsford, at best he'll become another Mark Letestu (his predecessor on the Baby Pens, now with Columbus).

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:26 PM
smsgtkvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/andystrickland

May have to scroll down a bit. Didn't see it being discussed in any other threads so thought I'd start one.

Dollar amount has yet to be announced but it is a two-way deal.

24 years old, looks like a move for the Heat. Had 57 points in 71 games with the scranton penguins this season.

Worst case scenario he's a top 6 for the minor club, best case scenario pulls a Patrick Sharp and becomes a late bloomer. Don't see anything wrong with this except it puts us at 47 contracts I think.
$575,000 / $105,000

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637025

smsgtkvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
Anyone have any other information about him? Could he perform a bottom 9 spot for the Flames, or is he aa AHL- career type of player?

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Anyone have any other information about him? Could he perform a bottom 9 spot for the Flames, or is he aa AHL- career type of player?
I was thinking he could be described as a better version of Krys Kolanos. Probably a career 'tweener - but who knows, with our centre depth he could just as easily become our #3/4 centre...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:28 PM
IceCapsNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Nice to see the hard work finally paid off for Street. This is his first NHL contract, and he's a B.C. native. Pittsburgh brought in 3 new centers in Trevor Smith, Warren Peters and Riley Holzapfel so Street needed to try elsewhere.

Definitely a late bloomer. Good college player and captain at Wisconsin, was never drafted but was eventually invited to camp by the Baby Pens two summers ago. They liked him enough to sign him but then parked him down in Wheeling. Street went on to tear up the ECHL with 51 points in 38 games, and earned Rookie of the Year honors (even though he spent the second half of the season as a bottom-sixer in WBS). Last season he re-signed with WBS and became their #1 center, helped by the Penguins having zero scoring centers in the system.

A smart, clean, dependable player with good instincts and skills. Should put up even more points with better wingers. What should keep him from the NHL is his lack of size, grit and athleticism. He's just not strong enough to thrive against close checking. But at worst you get a top 6 forward for Abbotsford, at best he'll become another Mark Letestu (his predecessor on the Baby Pens, now with Columbus).
I'm a season ticket holder with the (AHL) IceCaps. I've seen both Street and Holzapfel play last year. Street is a better pick IMO. The reason I recall these two, Street had family ties to St.John's so the arena basically watched him a bit more closely. Holzapfel started the year with the IceCaps, halfway through they traded him.

I'm pleased with the Street signing. Seen it on twitter and instantly liked it.

IceCapsNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Xelstyle

Street signs a two-way, brings relief to Calgary's downtown traffic.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:05 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Great signing for the Heat. If he turns into an NHLer, even better.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote