HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Development Camp Jun 26-30

Old
06-28-2012, 11:30 PM
mitch27

vCash: 500
Gormley is going to be so ****ing good.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:25 AM
helvete

I got the chance to go on Wednesday, really fun, it was also good to see it so full. Someone that stood out was Louis Domingue, would love to see him back up Smith one of these days. I also took some pictures (should've taken video) if anyone is interested, I can upload them.

helvete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 01:35 AM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvete View Post
I got the chance to go on Wednesday, really fun, it was also good to see it so full. Someone that stood out was Louis Domingue, would love to see him back up Smith one of these days. I also took some pictures (should've taken video) if anyone is interested, I can upload them.
Would love to see them, thanks in advance. Glad to hear about Domingue.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:12 AM
helvete

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
No problem, like I said, wish I had recorded the camp instead of just taking pictures or at least taken more.

heres the pictures

Another thing to add about Domingue, he was the only goalie I saw come out and play the puck. Pretty happy about that

helvete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:56 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Some great pics here as well...

http://yotesgurl.wordpress.com/2012/...yote-invasion/

06-29-2012, 11:28 AM
PhoPhan

Holy hell why is Connor Murphy's arm in a cast?

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:42 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Are you ****ing serious.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:24 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
OMFG.

We could've had Troy Brouwer instead.

Not to mention Namestnikov (who is a ****ing badass future Dave Bolland), Noesen, Phillips, and Jensen.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

As much as we praise GMDM for buiding a great team, the truth is he is a better trader than a drafter.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:32 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
As much as we praise GMDM for buiding a great team, the truth is he is a better trader than a drafter.
To be fair he immediately fired all of his scouts following the last draft.

I'm actually extremely excited about this most recent draft. I really love every pick.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Only time will tell how all of this years draft picks pan out.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:37 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
OMFG.

We could've had Troy Brouwer instead.

Not to mention Namestnikov (who is a ****ing badass future Dave Bolland), Noesen, Phillips, and Jensen.
Noesen was the guy I wanted, but Murphy has higher upside than every one of those players. He also had never had an arm injury, to my knowledge. Do we know how he got it? I don't think he missed any playing time at the end of the season, so for all I know it could have been a boaking accident* or something.

*That's two straight posts I've made with Simpsons references in them. Just FYI.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:42 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Generally I would agree that reoccuring injuries are more worrisome.

HOWEVER...not in the case of Connor Murphy. He had a back problem that kept him from playing any hockey of any kind from age seven to age seventeen (or something like that ). Then he blows out a knee and misses nearly another year. Bot before coming back and suffering a should/neck/concussion (did we ever find out?), and now his arm is in a cast.

I'm sorry, this guy needs to be a pillow salesman, not a hockey player.

Wasted asset.

EDIT: With less hyperbole, he has played 125 games TOTAL the last four years combined. This includes midget hockey in Ohio, international tournaments, and these most recent OHL playoffs.

That's barely thirty games a year. Between the ages of fifteen and nineteen. These are the most important development years of his life and he spends more time sitting out than playing. Now he's hurt AGAIN and missing even more development time. He should be in this rookie camp, gaining valuable experience. Instead he's standing around in a cast. All he ever does is stand around in a cast.

Last edited by rt: 06-29-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old
06-29-2012, 12:51 PM
mitch27

This pick just looks worse and worse every passing day. Just when I was starting to warm up to it. HE'S MADE OF GLASS.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

His trade value is so ****ing low as well.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:00 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
His trade value is so ****ing low as well.
I pray he can at least stay healthy for the WJCs this year. Only because I'm sure he will have an amazing tournament and turn a ton of heads. Then we can trade him immediately after just as he has a little value but right before he breaks his sternum from coughing too hard, the pain of which bursts blood vessels in his eyes, leaving him temporarily blinded just long enough to walk into a wall giving himself a concussion, just before he falls into an unconscious heap, blowing out both knees in the process.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:01 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:

HOWEVER...not in the case of Connor Murphy. He had a back problem that kept him from playing any hockey of any kind from age seven to age seventeen (or something like that ). Then he blows out a knee and misses nearly another year. Bot before coming back and suffering a should/neck/concussion (did we ever find out?), and now his arm is in a cast.

Wasted asset.

EDIT: With less hyperbole, he has played 125 games TOTAL the last four years combined. This includes midget hockey in Ohio, international tournaments, and these most recent OHL playoffs.

That's barely thirty games a year. Between the ages of fifteen and nineteen. These are the most important development years of his life and he spends more time sitting out than playing. Now he's hurt AGAIN and missing even more development time. He should be in this rookie camp, gaining valuable experience. Instead he's standing around in a cast. All he ever does is stand around in a cast.
It was a risky pick, obviously, but a lot of those injuries came after the draft, and I don't think they could have been foreseen. He's not Elijah Price.

Most injury prone players are prone for one of two reasons. Either they have one recurring injury (not the case) or they play a reckless style that their body can't handle (doesn't seem to be the case either). So either Murphy actually has a skeleton made of pretzel rods, or he's been really, really, really unlucky. If it's the latter (and I still think it is), he's no more or less likely to get hurt the rest of the way. He's obviously lost a ton of development time, but the Coyotes can afford to be patient with him.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
To be fair he immediately fired all of his scouts following the last draft.

I'm actually extremely excited about this most recent draft. I really love every pick.
I thought only Keith Gretzky was shown the door?

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:15 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgregg View Post
I've been to two of these things, and Domingue always looks fantastic in practices.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:40 PM
SR

Went today. Must say Gormley is going to be a flat out stud. Was by far the best defensmen out there.

Lucas Lessio and Branden Shinnimin both stood out as well.

Must say we have some pretty decent goalies in play. Domingue and Lee are really not far behind Mark V.

Lots of people there which was a good sign.

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 09:58 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Sorry for posting this so late. Been moving around a lot lately but I figured people would still like to read my thoughts. Went to the camp on Friday so all my opinions are mostly based off one practice. I also decided to not to grab a roster until the end of camp just to see if maybe I saw things any differently. Not sure if it worked, but here are the three that impressed me the most, and the 3 biggest disappointments.

Left Gormley off this list because he owned everyone in the drills and scrimmage. It looked so effortless. I don't think I saw him breathe out of his mouth or sweat the whole time. When you beat people clean on the first try all the time you don't need to work hard. He's going to be a big minute player in the future. Remember a few years ago I was watching some Red Wings behind the scenes show. They showed Lidstrom riding the bike after just playing 28 mins that night. Such a workhorse.

Henrik Samuelsson- He might not have been the strongest player at camp but he sure looked like it on the ice. Literally just drags people with him where ever he is. Wether it be in the corners or through the neutral zone. Obviously if we threw him into the NHL right now that would change, but he does look like a legit power forward prospect. He does kind of lumber around a bit like some of the scouting reports have said, but he's strong on his skates and his top end speed is fine. The only improvements that need to be made are his turning and first couple of steps after doing so. Doan made the adjustment well into his career. The shot is as advertised, but I was particularly impressed by his ability to use his line mates. Very good passer on the rush and out of the corners displaying smooth puck handling in the process. The last couple of years I've been wondering how on earth are we ever going to replace Doan when he retires. Players like him are such a rarity. I'm not saying Samuelsson well ever replace what Shane brings but his skill set is exciting to have thinking about all the softies we've drafted in the past.

Rhett Holland- Was the second best D-man in camp right behind Gormley. In a camp that doesn't allow you to be real physical I felt like it was his hockey IQ that really stood out to me the most. Very good in his positioning and stick work and was strong in front of the net. Dman that knows his strengths and plays to them. Doesn't do anything fancy on the breakout. Takes the first option or its off the glass and out. Style wise I see him molding into an Aucoin type of player. Obviously hearing about him being a real physical player had me intrigued about him even more since I didn't get to see that side in camp. My curiousity took me to youtube which lead me to a video of him messing up people on youtube as a 14 year old. Awesome. Hope to catch a few of his games this year at Michigan State.

Niklas Tikkinen- There were a few guys I considered for the last spot but Tikkinen's skill set was very impressive. Looked very raw and very small out there but might of been the most pure skilled player in camp. Kind or reminds me of Enstrom the way he moves out there. You can tell he's played forward before because right when he gives the breakout pass it looks like he wants to join the forwards for rush every time. You can see it in his eyes. I know this look, I see it in Yandle all the time. Not sure why he made the switch to D. I'm curious to know what the reasoning for that was since he looks like more a forward. Maybe he will switch positions again like Summers. Either way, he's going to have to get bigger. Schlemko would look massive next to him.

Honorable mentions to Brown, Fejes, and Martinook who were all hard working talented players.

My 3 biggest disappointments would have to start with Connor Murphy. Just because I liked what I saw last year and it sucks not being able to see how he developed over the course of this past season. Phil Lane would be next on my list. For being one of the bigger guys at the camp he didn't really seem to engage himself physically very often. Understandable considering nobody was really all that physical but at least lean on someone. This was magnified only because it looks like there was talent there to be one of the better players in camp. Smaller players all around him were working twice as hard the effort was simply not there. The final guy on my list would be Mathieu Brodeur. The guy is the biggest one in camp and gets dangled on regular basis. The biggest pylon on the ice I've ever seen. I don't like to not root for someone but the guy has been horrible every time I've seen him play. He's outmatched in front of the net and isn't even good along the boards. One of older prospects there who has pro experience and was just getting beat over and over again by recently drafted prospects.

My overall thoughts on this camp is that it wasn't as skilled as years past, but much more competitive. Very entertaining.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
PhoPhan

Great read. Thanks.

Old
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM
drgregg

GREAT read, PHX! Excellent insight and very encouraging reports on some of those prospects, looking forward to September.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:

Wasted asset.

Your "sky is falling" routine with Connor Murphy is similar to your rants a year ago about Mike Smith. Just like you can't judge a goalie based on his performance on a much different hockey team, you can't judge a high-ranked defensive prospect based on what he did before his 20th birthday...especially a somewhat skinny d prospect.

Come off that "wasted draft pick" ledge, and see what transpires over the next 3 years....just look at what you would have missed if you jumped off the "Mike Smith" ledge before giving him, Tippett, and Burke an opportunity.

Oh, maybe I took you too seriously....especially under this circumstance

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote