HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Franson

Old
06-24-2012, 12:18 PM
noBSleafsFAN

vCash: 500
Franson

Assuming Franson isn't traded, I think this is a great opportunity for him to play regularly. I'm a big Franson fan and I think playing 15-18mins with second PP time, he could have a pretty good "breakout" season. What do you guys think?

noBSleafsFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:19 PM
dubey
So hot right now

I like Franson as well. Hoping the offseason with that new skating coach helps him a bit.

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:25 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I'd love to see what a skating coach can do for him, but I don't think he's here much longer. He and MacA will be moved soon.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:27 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Agree, there's a lot of people suggesting we move Franson if we land Schultz, but I think we should keep him and go with Franson, Schultz and Phaneuf on the right side and Gunnar, Gardiner and Liles on the left side. With Komi being the 7th dman.

Then at the deadline move Komi for picks and make Holzer the 7th guy.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

I'm fine with giving Franson a spot; but not at the expense of Gunnar, as some mock lineups around here suggest. Gunnar is the best defenceman this team has, IMO.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
I'd love to see what a skating coach can do for him, but I don't think he's here much longer. He and MacA will be moved soon.
Underhill I believe her name is? Hopefully she can work her skating magic on him if he's staying. I'd also like to see him try to be more physical.

06-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Rusty545

I really want to keep Franson. He seemed to play better the more games he played. With one less d-man, hopefully he becomes a regular this season. It always frustrated me to see him scratched so Komisarek could play...

Rusty545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:29 PM
dubey
So hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I'd also like to see him try to be more physical.
Franson can throw people around effortlessly. Can't understand why he doesn't do it more often.

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:34 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
I'm fine with giving Franson a spot; but not at the expense of Gunnar, as some mock lineups around here suggest. Gunnar is the best defenceman this team has, IMO.
I respect your opinion but I disagree. IMO people love Gunnarson so much because of his cap hit. Franson brings more to the table where as Gunnarson is a sound positional D men nothing more nothing less. IMO he's the perfect trade chip trade him now while his value is high.

I hope Burke keeps Franson

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noBSleafsFAN View Post
Assuming Franson isn't traded, I think this is a great opportunity for him to play regularly. I'm a big Franson fan and I think playing 15-18mins with second PP time, he could have a pretty good "breakout" season. What do you guys think?
I very much like Franson, he can easily take Schenn's spot on the blue line and Holzer can become the extra defenceman

Budsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:36 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

we'll need his size
but he could be traded if we sign schultz

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:38 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Towards the second half, Franson's physicality increased. He shoulda been in our top-4, but it was a numbers game.

Hopefully he gets a shot this season.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:38 PM
SprDaVE

I really don't mind if he stays and actually gets the minutes. He had some really standout games.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he was used as a trade chip for an upgrade somewhere else.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I really don't mind if he stays and actually gets the minutes. He had some really standout games.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he was used as a trade chip for an upgrade somewhere else.
This and that. But especially this.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
Are all-star dman who finished 11th in D scoring and made Gunnar be able to play a simplified role (much like Aulie the year before) says hello!

Franson isn't really the type of Dman needed in Toronto. He can't play the penalty kill. On the powerplay we've got Liles, Phaneuf and Gardiner all well ahead of him for minutes and there is only so many powerplay minutes to go around. 5 on 5 he is horrible in the defensive aspect of the game and when your D group already includes a few players who aren't great defensively it's too much defensive liability on the ice over a 60 minute game.

The best part about Franson for the Leafs is his salary. Maybe he's here to start the season but guranteed he's not here the season after as Holzer, Blacker, Percy and Rielly are that much more developed.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I'd be fine with him staying and getting a better opportunity. I think the season started off poorly for him after he was the 7th man. Hopefully it humbled him a bit, and he works hard to make it out of camp.

Then again, it would not surprise me at all to see him traded.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:47 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

wasnt his conditioning the issue (at first)?
and then he had the gall to say he expects to be a top 4 D

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:52 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Are all-star dman who finished 11th in D scoring and made Gunnar be able to play a simplified role (much like Aulie the year before) says hello!

Franson isn't really the type of Dman needed in Toronto. He can't play the penalty kill. On the powerplay we've got Liles, Phaneuf and Gardiner all well ahead of him for minutes and there is only so many powerplay minutes to go around. 5 on 5 he is horrible in the defensive aspect of the game and when your D group already includes a few players who aren't great defensively it's too much defensive liability on the ice over a 60 minute game.

The best part about Franson for the Leafs is his salary. Maybe he's here to start the season but guranteed he's not here the season after as Holzer, Blacker, Percy and Rielly are that much more developed.
I honestly couldn't respectfully disagree more. He's good defensively. Smart, strong, physical, makes smart passes, isn't a ***** with clearing the puck, positionally strong... his speed is the only thing, but he'll be pairedwith a quick dman this year I assume. He'll get some PP time this year and I'm sure he'll make the most of it. At this point, a Holzer/Blacker isn't better than Franson, not even close.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Leaf For Life

Really don't want franson to be traded. I feel that if the leafs give him a chance to play full time he can an excellent player for the leafs.

Leaf For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
I honestly couldn't respectfully disagree more. He's good defensively. Smart, strong, physical, makes smart passes, isn't a ***** with clearing the puck, positionally strong... his speed is the only thing, but he'll be pairedwith a quick dman this year I assume. He'll get some PP time this year and I'm sure he'll make the most of it. At this point, a Holzer/Blacker isn't better than Franson, not even close.
Let me guess the Leafs are holding him back and if only the coaches saw what the fans see. Just like Stralman was going to be something special before him.

If he's so good defensively why didn't he ever see the penalty kill for not only Wilson but also under Tortz?

Franson is currently higher on the pecking order than Holzer & Blacker but as they develop and we still have Liles, Gardiner, Phaneuf as much better offensive options they'll fill our needs for a guy who is good defensively and can penalty kill a lot better. Holzer also brings the willingness to drop the gloves that Franson doesn't.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
blueNwhite89

IMO he's a goner

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

I liked him last year and always hoped he'd be given more of a chance, but I have a feeling he'll be gone this summer. Rather Komisarek be the odd man out though.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:29 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

I'd like to see him stay but imo he'll leave along with Mac for an upgrade elsewhere.

I personally think he'll ask for too much $$$ to justify keeping him

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Dr Swag
Banned User

Traded (along with one of LACK) to Vancouver for Luongo.

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Im Old Gregggg

id love for him to get some fulltime playing time as i actually liked his game last season, provides a big body, great shot good overall offense (i can see him be a solid 30pt #4 with 2nd pp unit)...... however i think he will be traded unless we use gunner as a more valauble trading chip this summer

If we are lucky enough to land J.Shultz there is a 0% chance he stays

also call me crazy but now that schenns gone i want komi to stay this season, he started to pick it up late in the season when carlisle came, and i recall one of the last games of the season him completly man handling and ragdolling guys allong the boards to the point of being dirty..... i can see a big bounceback season this year

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote