HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

How the JVR/Schenn trade can tip the pendulum in Leafs Favour

Old
06-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Maximum Cheddar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
Wow, people are just flat out stupid when it comes to Liles.

He is a top-4 defenceman and on the 2nd powerplay unit at least. He is one of few much-needed veterans on the team. He was one of our best defencemen before his injury. He comes at a discount (was JUST signed) and LOVES playing for Toronto. I don't know how else to say it.

HE. IS. GOING. NOWHERE.
While I tend to agree I wouldn't say that it's not possible. Liles signed his contract before Gardiner began to blossom and before the opportunity to land Schultz arrived.n Not to mention he seemed to get into Carlyle's doghouse at the end of the season a bit. Still not likely he is traded but far from impossible.

Maximum Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Man that is one soft d-core.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Maximum Cheddar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Man that is one soft d-core.
I agree. It almost seems like Burke is going a** backwards. When Wilson was coaching he wanted a fast skilled team and Burke loaded up with more grinders, now Carlyle wants a grinding team and Burke is giving him a soft skilled team. That being said I'm still hope ping for Shultz.

Maximum Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Whatever happens, I like the Leafs chances of signing Justin a little better now than 3 hours or so ago.
I really hope it comes to fruition that Schultz a Kelowna boy becomes a Leaf now to soften the blow of the loss of Schenn a Kelowna Rockets kid heading out to make room.

Personally I would have preferred room being made by moving out other Dmen instead and not Luke.

06-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
I'd be happy with something like this

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Schultz
Liles - Holzer/Franson/Komi

I ordered in list of preference on the last pairing. Losing Schenn does hurt the backend, because I did want to see what Gardiner - Schenn could become, but oh well.

Logically, it would make sense to trade Franson and MacArthur away to get something that would help us (Luongo, 1b/2a centre, etc.)
Agreed. I think this maybe the summer to move Komisarek. His cap hit will be higher than his actual salary so could be more attractive for a team trying to get to the cap floor. That 4.5 million could be far better spent on our team, even if its used to bring in someone to help bolster size and toughness in the bottom six.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I really hope it comes to fruition that Schultz a Kelowna boy becomes a Leaf now to soften the blow of the loss of Schenn a Kelowna Rockets kid heading out to make room.

Personally I would have preferred room being made by moving out other Dmen instead and not Luke.
I think we all would, but it was pretty obvious that if we were going to land a top six forward with some size that Schenn would be used as bait.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:19 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Cheddar View Post
While I tend to agree I wouldn't say that it's not possible. Liles signed his contract before Gardiner began to blossom and before the opportunity to land Schultz arrived.n Not to mention he seemed to get into Carlyle's doghouse at the end of the season a bit. Still not likely he is traded but far from impossible.
It is impossible based on the season he just had. Concussion in Colorado and then another one in TO and his game goes deep into the crapper when he returns. BB then signs him for 4 more years. I think he is undealable until he showed a sustained level of healthy play, like at least 40+ games at the level he was last year before he got hurt. If his game comes back I would probably deal Gunnar before him.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Beleafer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
I think us drafting Finn and Rielly refrains the Leafs from being a preferable team for Schultz. I really think he signs with Edmonton.
Edm has as many quality d prospects as we do. It is also possible that they tank again next year and select jones next year.

Tbh im not expecting him to become a leaf but it would be awesome if he does.

Beleafer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:56 AM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Liles extended on January 25th, 2012, long after Gardiner was established on the team. Shultz is an unknown, both in whether we will sign him or not, and whether he is ready for the NHL or not. He was FAR from in Carlyle's doghouse. He averaged well over 20 minutes after he came back, peaking at over 25 minutes in a game. I haven't done the calculations, but looking at the times over quickly, I'd even say that Carlyle used him more than Wilson.

Liles. Will. Not. Be. Traded.

JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:00 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

It's not about room being made. It's about trading a strength for a weakness.

Or are you all pissed that Burke traded our future for the present? I mean, JVR is a WHOLE 6 months older!

*runs around in circles screaming wildly*

Old
06-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Smif

I wouldn't mind seeing a Gardiner-Phaneuf pairing.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsilverstick View Post
It's not about room being made. It's about trading a strength for a weakness.

Or are you all pissed that Burke traded our future for the present? I mean, JVR is a WHOLE 6 months older!

*runs around in circles screaming wildly*
What gave you that idea that's what he was talking about? You just made up a whole sentence out of nowhere.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:15 PM
samwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a Gardiner-Phaneuf pairing.
I would mind. Phaneuf needs a steady defender to play with to allow him to take chances offensively and join the rush. Gunnarsson fits well, but I'd like to see an upgrade in that area eventually.

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
I agree. It almost seems like Burke is going a** backwards. When Wilson was coaching he wanted a fast skilled team and Burke loaded up with more grinders, now Carlyle wants a grinding team and Burke is giving him a soft skilled team. That being said I'm still hope ping for Shultz.
Ya I noticed this as well. WTF is going on in Burkes head?

We really could use a defenseman like Beauchemin right now. Physical two-way shutdown defenseman who plays great for Carlyle.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Doakes View Post
I think we all would, but it was pretty obvious that if we were going to land a top six forward with some size that Schenn would be used as bait.
Phaneuf and Gardiner aren't going anywhere.

Nobody else would have returned a player like JVR except for Schenn or the two above.

The 5th overall might have but I'm glad it was Schenn instead because of contract purposes. As the Leafs should be a contender in 13-14 and 14-15, Rielly will still be on his ELC.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:34 PM
getyourselfsomerest

I may be the only one, but I want to keep Komisarek on this team. He had a good season until he got injured. Now that Schenn is gone, we NEED players to clear the front of the net. We need guys on D who will play D. Which is why I think Burke should let Franson go or trade him, and sign a guy like Greg Zanon.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Zanon
Gardiner-Komisarek/Holzer

I don't know where Schultz would fit. We already have 3 guys on D who aren't aggressive and might get pushed around on D(Gunnar, Liles, Gardiner). Which is why I'd like to keep Komisarek if possible that way we have at least 2 Dmen who can play D in Zanon and Komi/Holzer.

getyourselfsomerest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:36 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avnizzle View Post
We still gotta unload Komisarek to a team in need of hitting the cap floor.

Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Schultz
Gardiner
Liles
Franson
Holzer (7th)
Randy likes Komi a lot, and Franson seems to be the odd man out, if we do win the Schultz 'Sweepstakes', one would think we'll trade Franson to the oilers.

I, for one, would be extremely happy with 1 Tyler Pitlick in return.

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
What gave you that idea that's what he was talking about? You just made up a whole sentence out of nowhere.
I mentioned location, location, location throughout my post, and you would think it would be obvious that my point was about location and supporting Leaf players based on where they are from.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 12:44 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
That's usually the kind of thing that he complains about for no reason, and he hinted at it by saying he would rather trade away other defencemen, which by his other comments would have to be somebody older. Trading away our future for JVR, because he is 6 months older. That argument is coming soon enough on these boards, I guarantee it.

Supporting certain players based on where they are from or where they played is really stupid too.

Last edited by JKsilverstick*: 06-24-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 01:09 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchenntoRielly View Post
One thing, ******* Burke, but I'd think it'd be
Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Schultz
Liles-Holzer

And another, ******* BURKE
At least you got to enjoy the new nickname for one day buddy.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Jake Gardiner
He's everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
Burke JUST signed Liles to an extension. He's not going anywhere. Plus you need some veteran presence.

And Suter is not coming to Toronto.
What proof do you have for this?

I think Burke will make a push for Suter before Schultz. Suter is a proven defenceman, and I think that Komisarek is next to be traded!

Jake Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Dr Swag
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr TML View Post
What proof do you have for this?

I think Burke will make a push for Suter before Schultz. Suter is a proven defenceman, and I think that Komisarek is next to be traded!
He doesn't wear blinders...

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Dr Swag
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchenntoRielly View Post
One thing, ******* Burke, but I'd think it'd be
Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Schultz
Liles-Holzer

And another, ******* BURKE
Schenn, to Rielly, HE SCOREESSSSSS!!!!

In 2 years we might be hearing this more times than you think

Dr Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Interactif

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Justin Schultz becomes UFA at midnight Sunday night. Blue-chip D prospect to meet with agent(s) in Toronto on Tuesday. Will field offers Wed

- What we know Wade Arnott was talking to Loiselle and Nonis at the draft.

- Wade Arnott is the agent for Justin Schultz.

- Leafs have dealt Schenn and have a gaping hole on defence to partner up with Gardiner.

- Wade Arnott is also the agent for Phil Kessel who the Leafs came to terms with when he was signed as a RFA.

- Burke has no problems maxing out bonus money, as Schultz will get the max entry level contract.

Quotes:

Quote:
That will become clear in the coming days. There has been speculation Schultz is looking for a guarantee he’ll be on an NHL roster next season, but the reality is no team can do that. Every entry-level deal, without exception, must be a two-way contract, meaning it is subject to a minor league salary of $67,500 if he doesn’t play in the NHL.
This is where the movement of Schenn may tip the scales, Schultz has a better chance of cracking the lineup.

Quote:
The thing about Schultz is that money will not be the issue here. Every team that makes an offer on him will do so knowing it will have to absorb a $3.8 million salary cap hit next season - $925,000 in base salary, $850,000 in signing bonus and $2 million in performance bonuses – on a three-year deal.
Will come down to fit and opportunity, Rangers do not have the monetary advantage this time.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Justin Schultz becomes UFA at midnight Sunday night. Blue-chip D prospect to meet with agent(s) in Toronto on Tuesday. Will field offers Wed

- What we know Wade Arnott was talking to Loiselle and Nonis at the draft.

- Wade Arnott is the agent for Justin Schultz.

- Leafs have dealt Schenn and have a gaping hole on defence to partner up with Gardiner.

- Wade Arnott is also the agent for Phil Kessel who the Leafs came to terms with when he was signed as a RFA.

- Burke has no problems maxing out bonus money, as Schultz will get the max entry level contract.

Quotes:

This is where the movement of Schenn may tip the scales, Schultz has a better chance of cracking the lineup.

Will come down to fit and opportunity, Rangers do not have the monetary advantage this time.
Nope, i can see BB Guarantying him a full season up here, maybe not as a top 4 but teamed up with Gards.

Franson gets moved for something and Holz called up. With JB being the first call up to injury.

Gun/DP
Sch/Gard
Komi/Lil
Holz

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote